Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,710 members, 7,802,154 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976075 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 7:03pm On Jun 10, 2017
WebSurfer:

Thank you for sharing this. but like i specified earlier, I am totally self employed. Apart from Financial reports all these years, i never worked for any company aside being consulted on different Jobs or freelance. so i have no documents to show for that.
OK na, I pray you don't fall into the hands of an agent that would cause you 5-10years ban.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:22pm On Jun 10, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Please what's the crime rate in Winnipeg? Any part of that town to avoid?
Crime rate probably not as bad as anywhere in Nigeria. There are lots of Nigerians in Brandon and Winnipeg.
imo, i would try to to avoid residential areas around downtown. For whatsoever reasons, bad people try to live or operate around those places. i dont want to mention a particular race to avoid stereotypes.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WebSurfer(m): 9:27pm On Jun 10, 2017
Adiahabasi:
OK na, I pray you don't fall into the hands of an agent that would cause you 5-10years ban.
I hope not
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WebSurfer(m): 9:29pm On Jun 10, 2017
Ballerz:

You can PM me. let's discuss
Bn Business oriented is very good. I took a first step yesterday and registered my business in Canada and got my incorporation certificate same day, unlike Nigeria that it will take atleast a week.
Good evening, still waiting.. sent You a pm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:57pm On Jun 10, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Yes, it's true that some landlords and buildings managers will ask for credit history and to see your Canadian job payslips before they will rent a unit to you. I encountered that problem as well but I simply moved on to the next address on my list until I found a building where they waived those requirements after they met I and my wife. The building manager saw that I and my wife were experienced professionals, people who could settle down quickly. It is all about how you carry yourself. We told her we have enough money to pay our rent and with our experience can find something reasonable to do and earn a living, she just said bring 3 months rent. We ended up giving only 2 months, first and last and that was it for our 1 year lease. If one door closes, another must open but you must keep moving to find the open doors. It was from that apartment I moved into my own house. God is good, He can do all things and He is in Canada.

I love that. Very inspirational.
Indeed, God lives in Canada.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jenny3(f): 9:05am On Jun 11, 2017
Waoh, many thanks for taking time to share this, very relevant

Blackbuddy:

An interesting topic. Hope my 2 cents above helps someone out.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 12:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
Someone in Canada on a study permits wants to travel outside of Canada for a holiday, what does he need to do to be able to come back into Canada? Does he need to apply for visa again? Or the study permit is enough document? Is the temporary resident visa multiple entry?

@salford1 @chimah3 and other senior bosses
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Generalmerchant: 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2017
Good evening seniors in the house. Please I am in a dilemma. I need an advice. I have a bsc in microbiology. I also have 11 years banking experience. I am a PR hopeful. I intend to go back to school and study nursing once I land in Canada as I believe Nursing jobs are more readily available in any city I find my self. But on the other hand I am wondering if its better for me to continue my banking career over there.

Please advice me. As this decision will inform my choice of city of settlement.
Nb I am married with 3 kids if it helps.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 2:38pm On Jun 11, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Someone in Canada on a study permits wants to travel outside of Canada for a holiday, what does he need to do to be able to come back into Canada? Does he need to apply for visa again? Or the study permit is enough document? Is the temporary resident visa multiple entry?

Yup! It's multiple entry!

'This visa has been affixed in your passport, and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires. If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa.'

Na so them dey write am for page 2 of your approval letter! grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:17pm On Jun 11, 2017
CanadianNurse:

From Canada Immigration website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-extend.asp#student_travel

As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
Yes. However, a study permit isn’t a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to Canada. Along with your permit, you need either:

a temporary resident visa or
an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Having an eTA or a visa, along with your study permit, doesn’t guarantee that we will let you back into Canada. You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we will let you re-enter.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 4:40pm On Jun 11, 2017
chimah3:

Yup! It's multiple entry!

'This visa has been affixed in your passport, and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires. If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa.'

Na so them dey write am for page 2 of your approval letter! grin
so the study permit and temporary resident visa have the same expiry date?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:58pm On Jun 11, 2017
Generalmerchant:
Good evening seniors in the house. Please I am in a dilemma. I need an advice. I have a bsc in microbiology. I also have 11 years banking experience. I am a PR hopeful. I intend to go back to school and study nursing once I land in Canada as I believe Nursing jobs are more readily available in any city I find my self. But on the other hand I am wondering if its better for me to continue my banking career over there.

Please advice me. As this decision will inform my choice of city of settlement.
Nb I am married with 3 kids if it helps.

Thank you.
Honestly..the decision is up to you...whichever one rocks your boat. I worked for some years in a UK bank, but returned to the Engineering profession in Canada. That is one of the things i love about this country; their are lots of opportunities to be whatever you want to be..

If you decide to stay in the financial sector, toronto area might be your best option as advised by others on this thread. What you would find common in other cities are branch banking if you do not mind.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 7:30pm On Jun 11, 2017
CanadianNurse:
so the study permit and temporary resident visa have the same expiry date?

My dear that one I no know. All I know is that they stamp your passport with study permit and your expiration date is always boldly indicated on it!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:25am On Jun 12, 2017
please help me with sites where we can find jobs advertised. and also housing adds too. thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 12, 2017
czaratwork:
please help me with sites where we can find jobs advertised. and also housing adds too. thank you

This thread no long na bros, you would have seen what you're looking for if you just went through it all.

For housing ads check kijiji.ca
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 10:50am On Jun 12, 2017
Indeed.ca, neuvoo, glassdoor.com, workopolis, etc. ......

czaratwork:

14 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by studyexec: 8:36am On Jun 13, 2017
I was on gofundme looking for something else when I saw this.
https://www.gofundme.com/nicholas-nwonye

I recall someone here mentioned safety in some downtown areas and public transport, and forgive me if I'm wrong a good number of the culprits for crimes and attacks being indigenous people, like in this case.
This story is very sad. He moved his family to Canny surely to give them a better life and evidently was hardworking, already training to re-start in a new career despite his age..True Grit!

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/stabbed-by-a-stranger-on-ctrain-platform-nigerian-immigrant-is-mourned-for-his-kindness

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-police-charge-man-in-fridays-fatal-lrt-stabbing

I'm just speechless, sad and now fearful, because it can be any of us...those already there now and those of us still working on making the move.
May God give his family the the fortitude to bear the loss.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elixir123: 9:49am On Jun 13, 2017
studyexec:
I was on gofundme looking for something else when I saw this.
https://www.gofundme.com/nicholas-nwonye

I recall someone here mentioned safety in some downtown areas and public transport, and forgive me if I'm wrong a good number of the culprits for crimes and attacks being indigenous people, like in this case.
This story is very sad. He moved his family to Canny surely to give them a better life and evidently was hardworking, already training to re-start in a new career despite his age..True Grit!

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/stabbed-by-a-stranger-on-ctrain-platform-nigerian-immigrant-is-mourned-for-his-kindness

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-police-charge-man-in-fridays-fatal-lrt-stabbing

I'm just speechless, sad and now fearful, because it can be any of us...those already there now and those of us still working on making the move.
May God give his family the the fortitude to bear the loss.
Yes its very unfortunate but the truth is it can also happen in Nigeria.In fact ,worse happens everyday but goes undocumented or publicised because of lack of CCTV in public places and parks hence,it looks like Nigeria is better, na lie.
In this case,it is certain that the widow will get justice,aid and eventual closure!
How guaranteed are the above in Nigeria ?
Anywhere we find ourselves we always will need to pray each minute and day for Gods protection.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 9:15pm On Jun 13, 2017
Errmmm what I miss? (In Jenifa's voice)....close to 10 raptured posts shocked
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 11:07pm On Jun 13, 2017
Adiahabasi:
Errmmm what I miss? (In Jenifa's voice)....close to 10 raptured posts shocked

Lol @ "raptured posts" cheesy grin

I wondered too...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 12:44am On Jun 14, 2017
Hello Everyone, I am new here, just starting our EE process, hopefully to come over 2018. We are still trying to decide on a province, based on research, this thread, family and friends, we are looking at Ontario, Calgary and BC. I have as a Logistics pofessional in the oil and Gas sector for over 10years but i am thinking of switching careers to either teaching or nursing for better pay and having time with the kids(2 below 5yrs). My hubby is a planning engineer with the same job experience, so which area would be a likely area for us to settle. We are looking for something not too busy, job prospect and childcare costs not expensive. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ymummy234: 10:02am On Jun 14, 2017
Blackbuddy:

This is so so so helpful thanks a lottt
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 11:28am On Jun 14, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Thanks so much. Very valuable!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alexboy76: 12:51pm On Jun 14, 2017
fabdee:
Due to the high cost of daycare, i intend to stay at home and take care of the kids atleast for some time.
We're fortunate enough to be able to afford a nanny, but I'm considering giving my child to a daycare. It can be better for my child. And much cheaper as you can see

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2017
mamacajah:
Hello Everyone, I am new here, just starting our EE process, hopefully to come over 2018. We are still trying to decide on a province, based on research, this thread, family and friends, we are looking at Ontario, Calgary and BC. I have as a Logistics pofessional in the oil and Gas sector for over 10years but i am thinking of switching careers to either teaching or nursing for better pay and having time with the kids(2 below 5yrs). My hubby is a planning engineer with the same job experience, so which area would be a likely area for us to settle. We are looking for something not too busy, job prospect and childcare costs not expensive. Thanks for the response.

You're being very broad. But I'd choose either Calgary or Edmonton.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 3:59pm On Jun 14, 2017
To God be the Glory!
Now that our visa to Canada is out, who can please recommend the cheapest flight (Winnipeg in Mind) for a family of six

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.