Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis (16884 Views)

Tinubu's Speech On Grabbing Power May Trigger Massive Violence In 2023, LP Warns / New NNPC Charges May Trigger Increase In Petrol Price / Obaseki: Rigging Edo Election May Trigger Tragic Reactions Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Islie: 7:01am On Jul 18, 2019
.As Party Leaders Vow To Reject Unpopular Nominees

.Delay In Transmitting List No Big Deal, Won’t Affect 2020 Budget – Lawan

Temidayo Akinsuyi; Innocent Oweh
Lagos / Abuja – The much-awaited ministerial list expected from President Muhammadu Buhari may further polarise the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) when it is released, Daily Independent has gathered.

This has been identified as one of the major reasons President Buhari is yet to constitute his cabinet.

A credible source said while it is true that the President is seriously searching for people he knows very well to be in his team, some stakeholders of the party in the affected states are of the opinion that they are in a better position to give him candidates since they know their members better.

Our source, a member of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC), said they had received several petitions from some state chapters that they would reject the list if the president chose candidates in their states that were not acceptable to them.

He said many of the party leaders claimed that President Buhari does not really know members of APC except the few ones that were members of the defunct Congress for Progressives Change (CPC), one of the parties that merged to form the APC and on whose platform Buhari contested the 2011 presidential election.

He cited the case of Akwa Ibom where, he said, many leaders in the state had written petitions against Senator Godswill Akpabio, a former governor of the state who joined the party shortly before the 2019 general elections.
He said: “I think the delay is because there is crisis in some states and the president is trying to avoid a major crisis which may shatter the relative peace we enjoy.

“While it is true that the president is trying to come up with a cabinet of people he knows, some stakeholders in the state are spoiling for fight, saying they are in a better position to select candidates who are loyal in the states and contributed immensely to the party’s victory in the just concluded elections.

“Many have argued that the president does not really know members of the APC except his former loyalists in the CPC and maybe ANPP.
“If he is looking for APC members he trusts and knows very well, will he now fill his cabinet with CPC members alone?

“I think this is what is delaying the list. Another thing is the indecision of the president himself. We all know that majority of the ministers who worked for him under the last dispensation will be returned.

“That is evident, given the reappointment of Abba Kyari as Chief of Staff and Boss Mustapha as Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).

“It will be difficult not to return someone like Lai Mohammed who performed creditably well as government’s spokesperson and party man. We all saw what he singlehandedly did in Kwara State.

“Someone like Babatunde Fashola and Rotimi Amaechi may also likely return. What we are not sure is if some states will get extra ministerial list where it is rumoured that former Lagos State governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, is being considered.

“So, if many of these ministers are returning, the president should be decisive and make up his mind about the remaining ministers. We are not happy about the delay at all because we cannot defend it like we did in 2015 when the party just came into power afresh.”

Delay In Transmitting List No Big Deal, Won’t Affect 2020 Budget – Lawan

Meanwhile, Senate President Ahmad Lawan on Wednesday said delays by the presidency in submitting the list of ministerial nominees for screening was not a big deal.

Lawan, who met President Muhammadu Buhari, in company of the Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, at the State House, Abuja, reacted to the controversies surrounding President Buhari’s delay to transmit the list to the Senate.

When asked how feasible the proposed January to December budget circle would be if Buhari continued to keep his ministerial nominees behind his chest, Lawan said: “I think there is nothing to worry us deeply, the budget itself is normally prepared by civil servants, the permanent secretaries superintend, and the directors will work most of the time.

“I believe that we are still on course, and I believe both the executive and the legislature are on the same page on this. We are desirous and are prepared and determined to pass the budget by the first and second week of December, by the grace of God, provided it is presented to us end of September.”

According to Lawan, since the Senate has confirmed the appointment of Tanko Muhammad as substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria, they were also prepared to confirm the ministerial nominees anytime the presidency deemed it fit to transmit the list.

He said part of their discussion with the president also centred on insecurity in the country.

Recall that Lawan had been quoted severally as saying that the 9th National Assembly would not be a rubber stamp to the rxecutive arm of government, even though the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) and the presidency played prominent roles in the emergence of the leadership of the NASS.

On insecurity, Lawan said: “What we have discussed are those things that will ensure that the people of Nigeria are better protected, the economy of Nigeria performs better to the inclusion of everyone in the country, that governance generally is set to achieve the set targets of providing security and welfare for Nigerians.”

Commenting on how the National Assembly would collaborate to address insecurity, Lawan said they would cooperate with the executive arm of government, work together to ensure they find better approaches, improve paradigm to ensure we improve the current situation and address it appropriately.”

On the confirmation of the CJN and the possibility of seeing prompt confirmations in future, the Senate President said: “Yes, for sure. In fact, tomorrow we are going to confirm some directors of the NCC. What we did today is to set the tone of what will be coming in the future.

“That is to say, we will be confirming the nominees from Mr. President because that will really ensure that the country is properly governed and the CJN confirmation was a fantastic way to start the confirmation process, and we are very happy we are able to confirm him today having received the letter of request from Mr. President only last week.”

Since the inauguration of the president for a second term, some Nigerians have been worried over the delays to constitute the cabinet, citing negative impact on the economy in general.

On the crisis rocking the Edo State House of Assembly, Speaker of the House of Reps, Gbajabiamila, explained that since an ad hoc committee set up by the House had done its job, talks were on with the state government to ensure a proper proclamation order.

“As you know, we set up an ad hoc committee, they went to Edo State, the report was laid and considered today and the context of the report is very clear. I think what we did was to stick strictly by the rule or by the law that guides the Assembly and us as lawmakers.

“So, one of the recommendations, which I believe was approved by the House, was for us to have a proper proclamation with date, venue, and time which was missing in the first proclamation.

“They (Edo House of Assembly) have about a week to come up with the proper election of the principal officers. If in a week nothing changes, perhaps the House and the National Assembly as a whole would look at invoking section 11 of the constitution,” Gbajabiamila stated.

Asked what if the governor disagreed with the proposal, Gbajabiamila said: “If every party, every player was consulted, all sides were heard, I don’t think we should go down that route and say if the governor decides, that’s not a decision for anybody to make.

“The governor is somebody I know and I believe he will operate within the confines of the law and dictates of the law and National Assembly, and all other laws. So, I don’t think we should pre-empt the governor.”

On Bauchi House of Assembly, he said: “We are waiting but I believe they concluded today. The members who went to Bauchi would be back or are on their way back to Abuja, and I will wait until I get the report.”

https://www.independent.ng/ministerial-list-may-trigger-another-round-of-apc-crisis/
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Criticaltemp: 7:02am On Jul 18, 2019
And things will fall apart when oshiomole realizes his men will not be on the list.. Fight will erupt within the party
Wow first FTC in 5yrs. Dedicate this to my lil girls..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by helinues: 7:03am On Jul 18, 2019
grin

Awon smellos.. Giving excuse upon excuse

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Kingosytex(m): 7:08am On Jul 18, 2019
Baba RUGA should start work immediately. He and APC have gotten their perfect men for the task ahead, no more excuses for failure. Most importantly, Oshiomole will no longer be barking like a mad dog

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by tunwumi: 7:08am On Jul 18, 2019
Let go there
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by aishapmbtoto: 7:09am On Jul 18, 2019
Whatever will scatter the evil men is welcomed.

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by olajide8(m): 7:10am On Jul 18, 2019
Not serious at all
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Kendumazy(m): 7:10am On Jul 18, 2019
Oya naaw. We are watching.

Beautiful India Kurtis gown group importation. Check link for details.
https://www.nairaland.com/5306185/kurtis-gown-group-importation-
india#5306185.6

1 Like

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:10am On Jul 18, 2019
A better and more effective Nigeria is all we want.

God bless Nigeria

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by nairavsdollars(f): 7:13am On Jul 18, 2019
Is that why Buhari is afraid of submitting the list?

1 Like

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by smarttz(m): 7:13am On Jul 18, 2019
Facebook celebrity page for sale.. It has up to 11k likes and plus a free 5k Twitter account goes with it. Send me inbox if interested.
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Luvinghubby: 7:13am On Jul 18, 2019
Shame.
They shouldn't allow the economy slip into recession again. N30k monthly is just $83.3
Mannabbq, Sarki, seunmsg etc take note

7 Likes

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Omojolaray(m): 7:14am On Jul 18, 2019
A wise man once said nothing..... Pray for Nigeria I had a dream of plane crash..... I rejected it all ready.... Enemies your plan no go work

1 Like

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by fordunit(m): 7:14am On Jul 18, 2019
As long as the performers are there, let them whine and wail. That's their business.

Need investors? Check my signature.
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Paperwhite(m): 7:15am On Jul 18, 2019
cheesy Everything about APC is all about ego infighting and crisis.
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Paperwhite(m): 7:17am On Jul 18, 2019
[s]
post=80379110:
A better and more effective Nigeria is all we want.God bless Nigeria
[/s]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by teadrake(m): 7:21am On Jul 18, 2019
Baba should run the government solo with permanent secretaries if constituting the cabinet will continue to be a problem.
This government set.chai
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by straighttalk(m): 7:23am On Jul 18, 2019
Na Today ?

Problem is always there
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by donblade85555(m): 7:25am On Jul 18, 2019
Pls who knows any money lender in Benin city that can lend up to #45000 for a student?
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by chigoziri2403(m): 7:25am On Jul 18, 2019
A party that puts personal interest over national progress
Putting square pegs in round holes
Choosing mediocrity over professionalism because he is your political mate
And we expect this country to move forward?

1 Like

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by spafu(m): 7:27am On Jul 18, 2019
Wetin even concern us sef. A useless government and party
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 18, 2019
Dear Lord,
I write to you with deep sadness in my heart to as a matter of fact to deal ruthlessly with our country presido who have chosen to make life miserable for me and my fellow Nigerians out there, you know what we your servant pass through just to survive yet they twart our plan by hijacking every opportunity created by we the masses.
Lord we your servants/children are tired of these misery and pain we pass through in our country Nigeria and plead to your mighty name to as a matter of urgency draw your wrath and hailstones upon the families of these politicians who steal our common wealth without conscious just to better the life's of their unborn generation.
Dear Able God, show thy servant the road to make it in life so as to empower my fellow bro/sis her on nairaland
Yours faithfully
Bro Darlington

1 Like

Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by TGM2015: 7:34am On Jul 18, 2019
This has been identified as one of the major reasons President Buhari is yet to constitute his cabinet.
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Olusheyi1(m): 7:41am On Jul 18, 2019
Ok
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by VisioDirect: 7:45am On Jul 18, 2019
The thousands of life that has been lost under this administration is not enough to trigger crisis within the APC folks and make them to come together for a lasting solution? Nigeria is really in trouble.
Re: Ministerial List May Trigger Another Round Of APC Crisis by Oloripelebe: 7:50am On Jul 18, 2019
Saraki is delaying the list

Saraki and dogara are delaying the list of our incoming holy ministers

grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kogi Lawmakers Endorse Yahaya Bello For Presidency / Ambode At The Launching Of Dangote Foundation In Lagos / Nnamdi Kanu's Re-arrest: FG Engaging In Double Standard – Afenifere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.