Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,010 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) (7509 Views)

How Cross River PHC Boss And Husband Fleece Basic Health Care Provision Fund / Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra: Basic Health Education / Pelmedic basic Health Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Dentalgist: 11:09am On Sep 14, 2019
What is BHCPF?
The BHCPF is the fundamental healthcare funding provided by the National Health Act. It was included in the national budget for the first time in 2018 since the Act was signed in 2014.

It provides for not less than one per cent of the Consolidated Revenue for healthcare funding.

When passing the 2018 budget in May, the National Assembly earmarked N55 billion for the BHCPF, as stipulated by the Act. Funds from donor organisations and other sources also form part of the BHCPF.

Only 25 per cent of the 2018 BHCPF was, however, released amounting to13.77billion.

The BHCPF is aimed at providing adequate care and services at the Primary Health Care (PHC) level, mostly for the vulnerable population, so as to reduce out-of-pocket expenses.

“Money will flow from the CBN to NHIS to NPHCDA to NCDC (Nigerian Centre for Disease Control) down to the PHCs,” said the former health minister, Isaac Adewole, in an interview with PREMIUM TIMES last year.

Accessing the BHCPF
The BHCPF is intended for the 36 states and the FCT but only states that meet the eligibility criteria can access the fund.

Apart from providing a counterpart fund of N100 million, the Act provided that states must establish a state Primary Health Care Development Board and State Health Insurance Agency to access the fund.

Mr Ehanire said the 15 states and the FCT had met the eligibility criteria as at February.

“Going forward, other states which have met the eligibility criteria will be accommodated as the fund is meant for all Nigerians,” he explained.

In his remark, the NHIS boss admonished states not among the beneficiaries in this first phase to “step up their efforts and be part of the next phase, for the benefit of their people”.

Mr Sambo, a professor, described the disbursement of the BHCPF as a feat in the health sector “which will bring healthcare within the reach of otherwise indigent and vulnerable citizens of our dear country.”

“The march towards UHC has received a major boost”, he noted.

The official also thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for the “political will and courage to trigger the implementation of the BHCPF.”

https://dentalgist.ng/what-you-must-know-about-basic-health-care-provision-fund-bhcpf

2 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 14, 2019
All a ploy to embezzle the national treasury. It shall neva be well with Jibril angry

5 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by dosht(f): 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2019
tongue
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Jobio1(f): 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2019
Nothing good comes out of buhari�
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by johnkay1(m): 3:25pm On Sep 14, 2019
Op never go o
Explain to us how we as individuals can benefit from this. Last time I checked at PHC cotton wool as small as it seems you have to buy it from outsude, if you need it.

So, why are they deceiving us.

11 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by ForeThinker: 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2019
Mind the word BASIC
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Jobio1(f): 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2019
Nothing good comes out of buhari#we can’t be deceived
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by BlessedNuel: 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2019
Nice write-up
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Tajbol4splend(m): 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2019
To manage it nan loran

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 14, 2019
somebody should read and summarize biko

2 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by chidi2pus(m): 3:28pm On Sep 14, 2019
The day I knew Nigeria had the sadim touch (the polar opposite of midas touch) , was when I visited a top Nigerian hospital in Port Harcourt.
When I got to the hospital reception , a hysterical woman was in tears with a child on her back.
She was demanding a doctor attend to her child at the top of her voice. Her child hadn't eaten for two days and he was very feverish. She screamed about how her husband had ensured medical insurance was provided for the child.
The shitty part of the story: the hospital was unable to verify her NHIS card.
The more shitier part: two hours later, I had seen a dermatologist and while leaving the hospital, this woman was still crying about her dying child at the reception and the hospital couldn't even verify her health insurance.

As I left the hospital, I was assured beyond all doubt that Nigeria was cursed. In a saner country, anyone would be attended to, emergency or no emergency, before verifying health insurance coverage or not.

Visiting Europe made me understood why we die easily like flies in this country. Our average mortality rate is 60 for a reason.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 14, 2019
OK
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 14, 2019
pepperoni55:
somebody should read and summarize biko
Lazy bone undecided
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by money121(m): 3:30pm On Sep 14, 2019
Noted
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by ibkgab001: 3:32pm On Sep 14, 2019
Nigeria we hail thee
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by puregrace(m): 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2019
So what's the POINT now?
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Godfullsam(m): 3:53pm On Sep 14, 2019
A chunk of the fund will end in private pockets. We know for sure sad
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by agabaI23(m): 4:03pm On Sep 14, 2019
fabulousfortune:
All a ploy to embezzle the national treasury. It shall neva be well with Jibril angry
No. It is not what you think. Buhari is a nightmarish two faced liar.

But this case I am familiar with. It started under Jonathan. It is currently on pilot roll out in 3 states.

It is genuine effort to provide universal healthcare to everyone especially in the last miles.

Abia, Niger and Osun on test run
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Duggedised12(f): 5:15pm On Sep 14, 2019
johnkay1:
Op never go o
Explain to us how we as individuals can benefit from this. Last time I checked at PHC cotton wool as small as it seems you have to buy it from outsude, if you need it.

So, why are they deceiving us.
exactly what i wanted to ask. They said its for all Nigerians but never said how Nigerians can access it . undecided all this "the more you look ,the less you see " polithifians sef.
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by olayinka63: 5:22pm On Sep 14, 2019
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by olayinka63: 5:24pm On Sep 14, 2019
Duggedised12:
exactly what i wanted to ask. They said its for all Nigerians but never said how Nigerians can access it . undecided all this "the more you look ,the less you see " polithifians sef.

If you read and understand, you would see that you can only benefit through an health insurance scheme established by your state government. Your state government must have met the criteria to access this fund which is to establish state insurance scheme, paying counterpart fund of #100m and setting up primary Healthcare board.
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Duggedised12(f): 5:26pm On Sep 14, 2019
olayinka63:

If you read and understand, you would see that you can only benefit through an health insurance scheme established by your state government. Your state government must have met the criteria to access this fund which is to establish state insurance scheme, paying counterpart fund of #100m and setting up primary Healthcare board.
yes i saw that now how does the tomato seller access it from their state govt?

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by olayinka63: 5:30pm On Sep 14, 2019
Duggedised12:
yes i saw that now how does the tomato seller access it from their state govt?
Tomato seller can only go to their state health insurance agency and ask for how to benefit from their health insurance scheme. This fund OP reported is not meant to be spent as individual, health insurance agency of one state will determine how to factor it into their expenditure. You just register with your desire insurance agency and leave t how they got money to insure your health
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Duggedised12(f): 5:34pm On Sep 14, 2019
olayinka63:

Tomato seller can only go to their state health insurance agency and ask for how to benefit from their health insurance scheme. This fund OP reported is not meant to be spent as individual, health insurance agency of one state will determine how to factor it into their expenditure. You just register with your desire insurance agency and leave t how they got money to insure your health
so a tomato seller will register with an insurance company , OK noted.
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Bluntemperor: 6:08pm On Sep 14, 2019
It's unfortunate that when serious matters comes like the above subject we gloss over like big ignoramus.OP a salute for this topic but many Nigerians including myself are yet to get the nitty-gritty of this Basic Health Insurance.i'm aware of HMO which is almost dead facilities in most States.Can somebody in an authority speak on behalf of suffering Nigerians explain these facilities to a layman and how a pepper seller can benefit to safe Millions of their health challenges?.Let's get our Government work-State and Federal respectively.

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by emilfischer(m): 6:26pm On Sep 14, 2019
I would like to know where kind of health care facility can have access to this funds.
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by otokx(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2019
NHIS works for me, though they need to work on an online presence where people can pay and make changes without having to go to their offices that are far away.
Re: What You Must Know About Basic Health Care Provision Fund (bhcpf) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 14, 2019
fabulousfortune:
Lazy bone undecided
Aturu

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Black Seed Oil Healed Me" / How To Lose Weight With A Nigerian Diet / 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Diarrhea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.