Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,218 members, 7,780,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:45 PM

Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? (13665 Views)

Video From Benin City One-Million-Man March For Peter Obi / South-West Is The Safest Part Of Nigeria - Garba Shehu / Crime Is Endemic In Nigeria – US Cautions Citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Blue3k2: 4:22am On Sep 22, 2019
A recent spate of kidnappings and violent crimes has shaken Nigeria's capital Abuja, regarded as a relatively safe haven in a country facing major security challenges.

The national police chief, Mohammed Adamu, has sought to allay concerns by saying that Abuja actually has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Is he right?

Before we start looking at the numbers, it's important to consider the reliability of Nigeria's crime statistics.

Experts don't rate them highly - a recent United Nations report analysing homicide statistics describe existing Nigerian data as "patchy and divergent".

Security experts say many crimes go unreported in Nigeria because of distrust in the police, a lack of police presence on the ground, and a general feeling that reporting a crime will be unlikely to lead to redress.

The International Police Science Association, a group of security experts and researchers, ranks Nigeria bottom in a global index that measures factors including confidence in the police, corruption and security outcomes.

So the likelihood is that official statistics would significantly under-report crime rates in Abuja and across Nigeria.

Now, let's look at the available data, starting with the recorded murder rate in Abuja compared with other major cities around the world.

On this measure, Abuja does not rate among the safest cities, as the Nigerian police chief has claimed - and there are plenty of other cities we could have chosen as comparisons to make the point.

The government's own data suggests that the murder rate in Nigeria's largest city, Lagos, is lower per capita than it is in the capital, Abuja.

How about other measures of safety?

The Economist Intelligence Unit publishes an annual report on urban crime that ranks 60 cities across 57 indicators.

The safest ranked African city is Johannesburg in South Africa at 44. They haven't included Abuja, but Lagos is at the bottom of this list.

There are certainly more crimes committed in Lagos than Abuja - three times as many per head of population, according to Nigerian official data for 2017.

But Lagos is a much bigger city, and remember - the official recorded murder rate per capita was higher for Abuja.

So Abuja is clearly not as safe as Tokyo, Singapore, Osaka and Amsterdam - which are considered the safest cities in the world.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49728321

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by iPhoneRepairer: 4:28am On Sep 22, 2019
Caveat emptor. Living in Nigeria is at your own risk. No city in Nigeria can be considered safe. A country in which criminals are emboldened to kidnap an IGP of police or a sitting governor's sister in-law and receive a ransome?.... Na God be my own protection. I don't know about any police.

36 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Blue3k2: 4:40am On Sep 22, 2019
Im not surprised the statement is false. Nigerian police like saying stuff without any stat to back up statements. They recently said violent crime has reduced in 2019 without quantifying it.

9 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by 9jaRealist: 6:18am On Sep 22, 2019
Blue3k2:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49728321

Stopped reading at Johannesburg being ranked as the safest city in Africa... grin grin grin
>

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by ayodaisi: 6:18am On Sep 22, 2019
Only God can save bro
Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by kingjrofficial(m): 6:19am On Sep 22, 2019
I komot cap 4 Bangui embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by 9jaRealist: 6:20am On Sep 22, 2019
The sad thing is that Nigerian “journalists” (to use the term liberally)...
Will begin to regurgitate this useless ‘parachute’ analysis as if it was factual.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians are raised in a “repeat-after-me” culture...
As can already be seen in some of the reflexive comments on this thread. SMH

>

10 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by ezenwajunior(m): 6:21am On Sep 22, 2019
With the rate of one chance activities in Abuja, even Kogi safe pass Abuja

7 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Onlinealaba(m): 6:22am On Sep 22, 2019
Nigeria as a whole ain't safe , many things have gone south and Abuja is not an exception but then crime rates are minimal in some places Abuja and Enugu inclusive

CHECK MY PROFILE, your electronics at best

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by optimusprime2(m): 6:24am On Sep 22, 2019
For a question like this to be asked...
one needs to first ask the following questions; what is crime? Just to put things into perspective

Secondly this question needs to be answered; can Abuja as a city function without the police for a day?

The answers to those questions will let you know Abuja's ranking in terms of crime rate globally.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by VirginSearcher(m): 6:24am On Sep 22, 2019
Abuja and Lagos sha! I thought prostitution in Abuja and Lagos is equal is that one not crime? angry

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by 9jaRealist: 6:31am On Sep 22, 2019
Blue3k2:
Im not surprised the statement is false. Nigerian police like saying stuff without any stat to back up statements. They recently said violent crime has reduced in 2019 without quantifying it.

Did you inquire how they arrived at that conclusion...
Or did you just assume without basis (as you criticize them) that the conclusion had no statistical basis?!
>

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Gten(m): 6:42am On Sep 22, 2019
I still maintain that bad eggs in the police are in on the crimes in Abuja. Let's take car snatching as a case study;
Every night in Abuja, car's are snatched from the owners at particular flashpoints, the police know this flashpoints but, they would sit in the comfort of their office waiting to issue police report. This report of course is not free. The night I was robbed, we were about 3 that were attacked around the same area(Wuse 2), the police man simply said " una sure say na real gun?, Sometimes bullet no dey am". Major entry and exit points in Abuja are not much, when the police are ready or when an elite falls victim, the crimes in Abuja (one chance, car snatching, kidnapping) would stop.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by munex007(m): 6:43am On Sep 22, 2019
Abuja is a city with a lot of rich men without value and strong fundamental to their wealth.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Calibate101(f): 6:44am On Sep 22, 2019
Am yet to understand why people choose to lie when the truth is obvious .....people deceiving people.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Xbee007(m): 6:48am On Sep 22, 2019
Certainly not, the number of people that fall victim to one chance operators is unprecedented.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Handsomecole(m): 6:57am On Sep 22, 2019
The crime rate in Abuja is grossly under reported . As it stands Lagos is safer compared to Abuja. Once chance in Abuja is very rampant, in fact one in 15 Vehicles in Abuja is a once chance robber (s).

11 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Calibate101(f): 7:00am On Sep 22, 2019
H
Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by LoveDecay(m): 7:02am On Sep 22, 2019
9jaRealist:

Stopped reading at Johannesburg being ranked as the safest city in Africa... grin grin grin
>

Looking at New York ... you know the whole thing is crap.

For a long time many thought leaders have cautioned nation in regards to the U.N. and co.

New York and London safe..... Nigerian reporter are the top reason Nigerians dislike Nigeria.

New York and London safe..... lol

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 22, 2019
Abuja my city is a safe place to live in except for those one chance idiots.

Check my signature or click to get more details on getting yourself a car tracking device

https://www.nairaland.com/5410734/buy-install-car-tracker-affordable

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Crazeworld(m): 7:03am On Sep 22, 2019
shocked

Meanwhile, I'm available for your online documents and Print-out Slips. Check my signature
Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by seunlayi(m): 7:04am On Sep 22, 2019
What is the population density of abj before you start praising the weak police system
Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Mandesz(m): 7:06am On Sep 22, 2019
I always wonder wy things don't really happen in abuja. I think it's safe really but because of our politicians selfishness
Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Nwaohafia1: 7:07am On Sep 22, 2019
Abuja is no longer safe as it used to be. One chance robbers, kidnappers, armed robbers, fulani herdsmen loitering around, and burglars.

Buhari has killed and buried Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Badmod: 7:12am On Sep 22, 2019
Abuja the cosmetics city.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by LoveDecay(m): 7:13am On Sep 22, 2019
Nwaohafia1:
Abuja is no longer safe as it used to be. One chance robbers, kidnappers, armed robbers, fulani herdsmen loitering around, and burglars.

Buhari has killed and buried Nigeria.

Where do you live in Abuja?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Galaticos444: 7:16am On Sep 22, 2019
kingjrofficial:
I komot cap 4 Bangui embarassed
and to think New York is as twice safer than Bangui den u know its a city of murder

1 Like

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by DonTattaglia: 7:18am On Sep 22, 2019
To say the truth Buhari has actually incured more problems in Nigeria. We are beginning to see terrible things happening in the country that were not as bad as this previously.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 22, 2019
9jaRealist:

>

My dear that was when I knew this report is false Jo'burg..where rape it self is a hobby

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Ulrich01(m): 7:19am On Sep 22, 2019
Abuja is not as safe as it used to be anymore. The police are not even helping matters. They know about these crimes. They want it to happen so you can report and they can extort you without they doing anything about it. Speaking from experience. The Police is not your friend, i repeat the police is not your friend. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 22, 2019
Gten:
I still maintain that bad eggs in the police are in on the crimes in Abuja. Let's take car snatching as a case study;
Every night in Abuja, car's are snatched from the owners at particular flashpoints, the police know this flashpoints but, they would sit in the comfort of their office waiting to issue police report. This report of course is not free. The night I was robbed, we were about 3 that were attacked around the same area(Wuse 2), the police man simply said " una sure say na real gun?, Sometimes bullet no dey am". Major entry and exit points in Abuja are not much, when the police are ready or when an elite falls victim, the crimes in Abuja (one chance, car snatching, kidnapping) would stop.

That wuse 2 is something else ..its notorious no part of wuse 2 is safe .The police can't claim to not know this..now it's moving to maitama and asokoro and u know how quiet and dingy those parts can be

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Four Dead In Zakat Stampede In Bauchi / Boko-Haram Deny Killing Students In Yobe – Minister / FG To Reward Whistle-blowers On Illegal Weapons – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.