Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,141 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:38 AM

Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria (8477 Views)

Health Insurance And The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria / Polio Victim Shares Story, Seeks For Job, Says He Doesn’t Want To Beg. Pics / Kelechi Uhegwu, Polio Victim Celebrates Birthday With New Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by AlexReports(m): 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
Government of Canada demonstrates its commitment to the fight against Polio and strengthening Routine Immunization

To further demonstrate the Government of Canada’s commitment to the fight against polio virus and strengthening routine immunization (RI), Mr Tarik Khan, the Director General West and Central African Bureau, Global Affairs Canada, today joined the Niger State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (SPHCDA) and WHO staff during a polio house-to-house vaccination exercise.

The delegation made a first stop at the home of Mrs Miriam Shuaibu, whose one-year-old son received a follow-up dose of Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV). Expressing her joy, she said, “I’m happy you came to my house to vaccinate my son Mohammed”.

Reaching every child with lifesaving vaccines, as well as strengthening surveillance and routine immunization across Nigeria and the African region, will be essential to sustain the progress against wild polio and other strains.
Since the last wild polio case was detected on 21 August 2016 in Nigeria, the Nigerian Government has organized more than a dozen supplementary immunization campaigns with oral polio vaccine, intensified efforts to increase routine immunization coverage, improved its polio surveillance networks and deployed innovative strategies (market vaccination, cross-border points and outreach to nomad populations) to reach more children with polio vaccines.
For this sub national vaccination campaign, preliminary data show that at least 2.6million children have been immunized across all 25 LGAs of Niger, a state at risk of polio virus.

Actively participating in the vaccination campaign, Mr Khan expressed satisfaction with WHO’s support to the community towards polio eradication and strengthening RI. “It was very enlightening to see how WHO is supporting routine vaccination and how there is a lot of public awareness and definitely an increase in the number of young children being vaccinated”, he said.
“We are very hopeful that the government of Nigeria, with support from WHO working with local authorities, will be able to eradicate polio completely by 2020”.

During a visit to the Suleja LGA Secretariat, the Executive Director of the Niger State PHCDA said “The support from Canada has been very instrumental to the progress we have recorded so far. WHO has been so helpful and they’re always on ground to help us anytime, any day.”
The Government of Canada has been one of the major contributors in the fight against polio since the global initiative was launched in 1988. This includes Nigeria, where Canada is currently providing financial support through WHO to help eradicate polio and strengthen routine immunization.

Expressing WHO and partners’ gratitude to the people of Canada and the Niger State Government, Dr Fiona Braka, WHO Nigeria Team Lead for the Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI), said, “We wish to use this medium to greatly appreciate Canada and the Niger State Government for all their efforts.  The strong leadership of the Federal and State Governments, with the support from donors such as Canada, has been instrumental to the significant achievements in the fight against polio virus in Nigeria.”

She cautioned that, “As we edge closer towards polio-free certification in the Africa Region, we need to remain vigilant and sustain the high quality of vaccination campaigns and surveillance, while aiming for higher routine immunization coverage.”
Other members of the delegation to Suleja LGA, Niger State consisted of Niger State Government officials, the Acting High Commissioner of Canada to Nigeria, Mrs Amy Galigan and the Counsellor/ Head of Cooperation, Mr Kevin Tokar, as well as health team officers Ms Kibeza Kasubi and Mr Martin Osubor. The team paid a courtesy call to His Royal Highness the Emir of Suleja, Mallam Muhammad Awwal Ibrahim, to express appreciation for the support of the traditional institutions in promoting polio eradication and broader primary health care delivery.

Through funding from Canada and other donors, WHO Nigeria provides support to the Federal Government of Nigeria and State Governments for polio eradication activities. Two of the three wild polio virus strains (type 2 and 3) have so far been declared eradicated globally in 2015 and 2019 respectively.

Only three countries remain on the endemic list for wild polio virus type 1: Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria. Nigeria is scheduled to present its documentation for certification to the Africa Regional Certification Commission in June 2020.  

photo Titles below

Pic 1). Mr Khan administering OPV to baby Mohammed, Madalla Ward, Suleja LGA

Pic 2) During a courtesy visit to the Sarkin Zazzau of Suleja

Pic 3) Group photograph at the healthcare centre, Madalla Ward 1, Suleja LGA

https://www.statepress.ng/2019/11/in-niger-government-of-canada.html

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Aturitoroman: 5:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
Nice
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by mitchyy(f): 5:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
At this rate, Nigeria needs all the help it can get in the health sector. By now we ought to have kicked out polio

1 Like

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by one1prax(m): 5:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
i thought polio in Nigeria has been defeated. Abeg it should be eradicated

Pr0m0! For 14k only, get your own profesional responsive website. whatsapp - 070630~84171.
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by tstx(m): 5:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
Polio wey Bill gate Don almost e d
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by MorataFC: 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
Cool
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by BUSHHUNTER: 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
They need it more in North.

6 Likes

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Oluwasaeon(m): 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
2019 and we are still battling polio
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Dididrumz(m): 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
Nice one

3 Likes

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by 9jvirgin(m): 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
If not for white people, we go don die since.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by ikezuora4689(m): 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
Majority of those people on that picture are waiting for them to approve money so that they will embezzle it...I trust my fellow Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by ednut1(m): 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
mitchyy:
At this rate, Nigeria needs all the help it can get in the health sector
because we don't have money or personnel

2 Likes

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Six11(m): 5:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
Get a copy of this book and you will never ask for business ideas again. Which business industry do you need unique business opportunities? Your best companion at this time. Thank me later.
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by GEOANDSONS: 5:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 5:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
Are we still talking about polio in this day and age??!... Some regions will just keep pulling us backwards.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
I am ashamed to be a Nigerian.

We have no shame at all. Other countries helping us like as if we are all i.mbeciles.

Giving us aid as if we are a nation of cripples and mentally challenged beings.

Canada's population is not even up to that of Nigeria, yet...

Shame! Shame!! Shame!!! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Toscarel: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
polio still dey naija? abeg them find serious disease like HIV and co come fight
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by nanakgh(m): 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
L
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by nanakgh(m): 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
Who cares about polio? Nigeria's borders are closed. Ghana and other neighbouring countries are suffering. That's all Nigerians need to be happy.
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by EXLOVER(m): 6:01pm On Nov 11, 2019
When will Canada come to buy Nigeria? Cause i think they are beginning to like anything Nigeria o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2019
mitchyy:
At this rate, Nigeria needs all the help it can get in the health sector. By now we ought to have kicked out polio

At this rate, Nigeria shouldn't exist beyond 2020. A nation that can't feed, clothe or house its people, not to talk of providing basic amenities such as electricity, potable water, good and affordable healthcare, despite obscene wealth should not exist.

We are in the 21st century for crying out loud!!

A nation of over 200 million people, churning out graduates every year, yet so impoverished?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2019
nanakgh:
Who cares about polio? Nigeria's borders are closed. Ghana and other neighbouring countries are suffering. That's all Nigerians need to be happy.

Don't you have anything better to do than to troll on a Nigerian blog?

1 Like

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Zooposki(f): 6:05pm On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Duggedised12(f): 6:10pm On Nov 11, 2019
White gods coming to our rescue as usual undecided

1 Like

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Duggedised12(f): 6:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
EXLOVER:
When will Canada come to buy Nigeria? Cause i think they are beginning to like anything Nigeria o
I think i will prefer Japan buys Nigeria.
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by koning: 6:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
Polio ke !!. Polio is no longer a major problem in Nigeria. Bill Gates, Jimmy Carter and co has taken care of that.

Canada should help us develope a vaccine against Malaria. Fight Malaria, not Polio.
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by webngnews: 6:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
Oh
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by EXLOVER(m): 6:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
Duggedised12:
I think i will prefer Japan buys Nigeria.
Why Japan? /and much do you think is the current cost of Nigeria in $?
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Antoeni(m): 6:28pm On Nov 11, 2019
Abeg Canada na Visa we Need
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by Duggedised12(f): 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
EXLOVER:
Why Japan? /and much do you think is the current cost of Nigeria in $?
organized , disciplined , conservative and the highest number of centenarians on earth. I love the Japanese people.

As for how much Nigeria is worth, na when we begin haggle price we go know last price.

1 Like

Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by EXLOVER(m): 6:42pm On Nov 11, 2019
Duggedised12:
organized , disciplined , conservative and the highest number of centenarians on earth. I love the Japanese people.

As for how much Nigeria is worth, na when we begin haggle price we go know last price.
lol
Re: Canada Demonstrates Commitment To The Fight Against Polio In Nigeria by nograv: 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2019
Celebrating the fact we need foreigners to come to our aid??

Again the north which is the last bastion of polio in Nigeria is at the heart of the problem.

As local imams have the belief that vaccines are dangerous or even worse Haram... Mtchew... angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Stop My Sister From Lesbianism / NCDC Launches Campaign ‘6232’ / Don't Remove Your Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.