Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,574 members, 7,801,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now (18366 Views)

Coronavirus: Postpone NYSC Orientation Camp - MURIC Warns FG / Suspension Of Ebonyi Christian Corpers: MURIC Reacts, Supports CAN / 10 Signs Your Village People Followed You To NYSC Camp - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Lukgaf(m): 8:22am On Nov 14, 2019
13th November, 2019
PRESS RELEASE:

REVIEW NYSC CAMP TRAINING NOW

A female Muslim corper yesterday refused to use the conventional short knicker at the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camp at Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State. NYSC authorities have allegedly initiated the process for decamping her and she may be sent out of the camp today, Wednesday, 13th November, 2019.

It will be recalled that two female Christian youth corpers were also expelled from the NYSC camp in Ebonyi State on Saturday, 9th November, 2019 for the same reason. Both the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) have since condemned the expulsion.

But MURIC has added a new twist to the NYSC’s short knicker furore. In a press statement circulated to the media by its Director, Professor Ishaq Akintola on Wednesday, 13th November, 2019, the civil society organization berated NYSC for sacrificing morality on the altar of militarization. It called for immediate review of the NYSC training camp activities to allow female corpers whose creeds forbid them from wearing short knickers to freely and willingly partake in the activities.

MURIC said, “NYSC has placed military options above moral issues. It is affecting young ones in both Christianity and Islam. This is capable of destroying the moral fabrics of our society. What kind of leadership is NYSC trying to produce for the nation? Is it a God-fearing leadership that will give the nation good governance or one that has no fear of Allah that will embezzle the people’s funds, abuse power while in office and deprive the citizens of basic infrastructural facilities?

“NYSC should go into retrospection. What has it achieved in more than three decades of its existence? What has been the impact of its training on the youth? Our streets have been taken over by an army of jobless graduates. Yahoo Yahoo is the order of the day. Our graduates are heavily militarized. Cultism, kidnapping and ritual killing are their hobbies. Materialism is their religion. They are in a hurry to get rich. Meanwhile Nigeria holds its breath and trembles.

“But NYSC can do better if it pays attention to morality and vocational training instead of concentrating on physical fitness, climbing obstacles, crawling under barbed wires and other military exercises like marching, military parade, etc. Of what use have these activities been to the graduates? Of what use have those activities been to national development?

“What is the purpose of teaching graduates how to march on parade when they are not expected to continue military drills after camp? Why are we training them to cross obstacles and crawl under sharp objects when the training does not include the use of arms? Corpers finish up the one-year ritual without knowing how to cock a rifle or how to halt an advancing target for identification. It is sheer window-dressing.

“NYSC camp modus operandi is as irrelevant as it is distractive. As far as we are concerned, physical training for graduates in present day Nigeria is peripheral. It is their moral training that is tangential. It is a misplacement of priorities. A nation that has been dragged behind by corruption, a nation whose growth has been retarded by immorality cannot afford to ignore warnings coming from the altar and the minbar.

The organization suggested the way forward.

“What does NYSC or the nation as a whole stand to gain from decamping corpers for irrational and flimsy excuses? The effect is counter-productive. It wastes the efforts of serious-minded graduates while Yahoo Yahoo and cultist graduates multiply on our streets. What’s in a short knicker and what’s in a long skirt? NYSC is killing flies with a sledge-hammer.

“The way forward is to de-emphasise physical and pseudo-military exercises. NYSC handlers should turn attention to the reorientation of our young graduates during camping. Many of them are cynical about Nigeria. NYSC can partner with the National Orientation Agency (NOA) in this regard. Lectures and interactive sessions on patriotism will go a long way to give corpers a new mindset. Motivational speakers should be on call.

“Besides, the period should be used for vocational training. This will change our young ones into entrepreneurs and reduce the number of jobless youths. Leadership retreat is another angle that should be considered. Our young graduates need to begin to see leadership as service to humanity. The camping period can also be used for anti-corruption campaigns. Ideologues of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) may come in handy here.”

MURIC rubbished NYSC’s rationale for choice of short knickers for corpers in camp.

“The argument that corpers need short knickers for military drills does not hold any water at all. We have been able to prove that those drills are unnecessary. Corpers are not soldiers. Neither are they members of uniformed organisations. Their stay in camp is ephemeral, sometimes three or four weeks. 99.999% of them may never put on any uniform again in their lives. What then is the purpose of laying so much emphasis on drills, crossing the obstacle, climbing nets, jumping over heights and ascending walls? Has the Third World War started?

“Nigerians should shine their eyes. Those military exercises were introduced at the time because NYSC was started by the military. They added all those irrelevant aspects because those are activities best known to soldiers. But we should review the camping activities now that we are in a civilian regime.

“We therefore appeal to the National Assembly (NASS) to take an urgent look at activities in NYSC camps with a view to reviewing them as discussed above. This is a democracy. The NYSC decree should be radically reviewed by the NASS. The Ministry of Internal Affairs is also advised to study the matter and bring it to the attention of the presidency. We call on the leadership of CAN to join us in the call for a review of the modus operandi of NYSC training camp.

“In our closing remarks, we reject NYSC’s excuse for insisting on using short knickers. We assert that corpers do not need any exercise that cannot be done with skirts. We call for the introduction of re-orientation lectures, leadership training talks and anti-corrption campaigns to replace irrelevant military drills. We also advocate vocational training for corpers in order to turn their attention to entrepreneurship rather than remaining wild goose chasers of non-available white-collar jobs.”

*Professor Ishaq Akintola,
*Director,
*Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC)

http://muslimrightsmuric..com/2019/11/review-nysc-camp-training-now.html?m=1

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Flexherbal(m): 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2019
Is NYSC compulsory ?

Parades, exercises/drills may not flow well, with skirt.

Let me concentrate on the herbs I am preparing, for men who need to end their 2 minutes challenge, before some people will start bashing me.

21 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by nony43(m): 2:31pm On Nov 14, 2019
Biko, they are not the first Corpers to serve this nation, if they can't abide by NYSC ethics, they should please apply for an exemption letter

65 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by helinues: 2:31pm On Nov 14, 2019
It is National Youth Service for christ sake not Youth Religious Service

Where there are no laws, it simply means no sins

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by CaptainStephen(m): 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2019
Clowns

2 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by LastSurvivor11: 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2019
Instead of advocating economy review or scrapping nysc entirely, muric is here talking about religion..
Have you seen any country grow based on religion??
Misplaced priority!!

29 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by 2019elections: 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2019
Rules are rules. If you can't keep by the rules, then you shouldn't have registered for the scheme.

That aside, NYSC is just a waste of time.

21 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2019
If you are not comfortable with the uniform don't serve....

5 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by fk001(m): 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2019
That man O war sh!t is optional.

I didn't participated in it.

Aside from that I didnt see any rigorous training in NYSC camp, the only thing I detest was waking up around 4am and SAED lectures

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by klax(m): 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2019
MURIC again

3 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by SocialJustice: 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2019
Jokers

3 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2019
Everything is always about religion to them. Na wao. And tomorrow, someone will say one Nigeria. If I hear am en..

6 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by mysteriousman(m): 2:35pm On Nov 14, 2019
Why this current new height of religious practice. Muslims and Christians have been going for service for years. Why this whole noise these days about kits, are this generation more religious than the ones that served before?

10 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Nobody: 2:36pm On Nov 14, 2019
Its not a religious gathering na

2 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by RichardKajola(m): 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2019
actually they are making sense oo...what's the use of military training when what the youth need is entrepreneurial and leadership training

9 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by NextGovernor(m): 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2019
Reason why this nation is still backward.. Muric and Christian associations should come out and protest against corruption and bad government not all these senseless code of dressings

Even Buhari daughter wear trouser khaki.. who u be?

12 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2019
angry Even though I'm a born again Christian, i just love this MURIC man. His way of life and the way he defends his fellow Muslims makes me jealous of Islam. If i don't see any changes in the attitude of we Christians i might decide to join Islam for good sad

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Jamesilvar(m): 2:39pm On Nov 14, 2019
There is alot of sense in what was said there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by toyeonline(m): 2:41pm On Nov 14, 2019
If you can't stand the Heat....stay away from kitchen. It's simple

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by WizBLANCE(m): 2:41pm On Nov 14, 2019
Old SOLDIERS...

Should I tell them?

I mean what happens after POP?

who NYSC Epp sef...

Go hustle o
Everybody face your front o
Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Ngwamankillyou(m): 2:41pm On Nov 14, 2019
Yeye nysc and brainless youth coopers... Sex camp and none of my family member is allows... Spit
Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Thegoodone13(m): 2:42pm On Nov 14, 2019
H
Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Thegoodone13(m): 2:43pm On Nov 14, 2019
GoTV:
angry Even though I'm a born again Christian, i just love this MURIC man. His way of life and the way he defends his fellow Muslims makes me jealous of Islam. If i don't see any changes in the attitude of we Christians i might decide to join Islam for good sad
you also can stand to defend Christian.

6 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by GeoAfrikana(m): 2:44pm On Nov 14, 2019
This article is full of sense and thought-provoking punchlines.

Unfortunately, bigotry and hate will prevent many from justice in their assessment.

Someone up there is saying why aren't they talking against Corruption or bad leadership.

Firstly, MURIC is basically for Muslim rights not anti-corruption.

Secondly, one misdeed begets another. Do you not see that adultery, alcoholism, lavish spending and Yahoo are brothers of the same mother?

7 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by idrisaleo1: 2:45pm On Nov 14, 2019
Your hate for Islam would not allow most of you to see sense in most of the things Muric just stated. How ladies are comfortable in that "Teru" they call short knickers is what I don't understand. Nysc days are numbered and I can't be more happy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Ebukawaylaid(m): 2:45pm On Nov 14, 2019
I think MURIC has made an important point here, there should be a review of NYSC activities.

For the very first time, I totally agree with them. NYSC should be made a skill acquisition scheme that will help graduates to be self employed.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by ZombieTERROR: 2:47pm On Nov 14, 2019
All terrorists should know that State laws supersedes all religious laws...

Practice your religion in the four corners of your home state and your religious house...

Leave everyone at of it in public

7 Likes

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by Wunmiiitech: 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2019
embarassed this kind thing no de happen for the the past 10 years now, how come?

For the latest Nigerian news, gist, African fashion trends, tech, football and entertainment. This app contains the biggest blogs in Nigeria. Click on this link to download the app on Playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lambenews.update
this app is created by a Nair a lander

Re: MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now by ZombieTERROR: 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2019
GoTV:

Shut Up there my Yoruba Muslim friend...

Find a new hobby

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

House Of Rep Suspends #4000 Call Up Letter Fee / Nigerians React To Igwetu Linda Nkechi Shot Dead By Police: 'Scrap NYSC Now' / NYSC Presents N26.7m To Families Of Dead Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.