Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,015 members, 7,803,392 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage (39671 Views)

The Igbo Tribe's Tragedy And Curse Of Being A Niger Deltan / Biafrans Storm Anfield Stadium To Commemorate The Asaba Massacre- Pictures / Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by KEVIND: 6:05am On Jan 21, 2020
For the past 52 years, the people of Asaba in Delta State have been living in deep sorrow and anguish. They have been swimming in the ocean of misery and trauma as a result of the Nigeria-Biafra civil war.

Honourable Chike Osadebey, son of Dennis Osadebey, former premier of the now defunct Mid-Western Region of Nigeria, told Daily Sun in Asaba last Thursday that because Asaba is a closely-knit community, every family was a victim of the “abomination in Asaba,” as Chinua Achebe described it.

“If you dig deep, it seems that everybody in Asaba is related to one another, so we were all affected. I had uncles, aunties and cousins, who lost their lives in the attack. We are pained that such a thing could happen that at point blank people could just be rounded up and wasted summarily in such a manner. It is genocide. We are from Asaba and it touched every family,” he lamented.

Indeed, five decades after, the Asaba mass murder is still a living trauma and tragedy. “Every Asaba woman, man or child carries a memory of genocide…a communal memory of loss and anguish,” said Ogbueshi Ofili Okonkwo.

Journey to genocide
It was alleged that the massacre was carried out to teach the Mid-Western region a bitter lesson “for their sympathy for the Biafrans.” Barely three months into the war over the declaration of the Republic of Biafra, the federal troops descended on the small town on the west bank of the River Niger.

Like possessed beings, the federal troops went on rampage, ransacking and vandalising homes, killing every man sighted and destroying homes, among other things.

The killings took another horrendous dimension on October 7, 1967. That day, hundreds of men, women and children came out chanting “One Nigeria” in support and solidarity with the federal troops. Many of them came out in their best customary white attire (akwa ocha). But the military had other plans.

They took the innocent citizens to Ogbeosowa area of the town. There, they killed hundreds of men in cold blood. And Asaba laid prostate, in ruins. A town without men.

The order for the killing was reportedly given by Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo. Ironically, Taiwo, as military governor of Kwara State, was beheaded during a coup in 1976, reinforcing the saying that those that kill by the gun will surely die by the gun.

A witness of the mass murder, Dr Cyril Uchenna Gwam, said: “The Nigerian troops that came into Asaba came with the aim of eliminating every Asaba man as they thought they were fathers, brothers and uncles of Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, the leader of the first Nigerian coup in 1966 that killed Sarduana of Sokoto, Sir Ahmadu Bello.

“Major Nzeogwu was from Okpanam town, which was five kilometres drive from Asaba. It would interest you to know that every Okpanam person regards himself or herself as an Asaba person. I would rather say those soldiers that came to Asaba were on a revenge mission and not after the Biafrans. But the question everybody is asking is, why would they descend on unarmed innocent civilians? It was an international calamity of which the International Criminal Court should have passed serious sentence against Ibrahim Taiwo and his cohorts for the implacable crime.”

Gwam, who saw death with his eyes but escaped by the whiskers, said that one of his uncles, Okonkwo, and himself were about to join those dancing at the square when his uncle spoke Hausa and one of the soldiers, who heard him, asked them to return to the house.

He further said that when the federal troops opened fire on the defenceless residents, Ibrahim Taiwo was excitedly shouting: “Kill them all! They are all unbelievers.”

According to him, the mass murder was not a one-off thing. “At Ogbeosowa, the mayhem was on October 8; at John Halt, it was October 9, 1967; at Saint Patrick’s College, Asaba, it was in 1968 and at Umujia, it was also in 1968,” he said.

The Asagba of Asaba, Prof. Edozien said the people did not know that the attempt to embrace the federal troops was a game of death. According to him, every village prepared and went to Ogbeosowa Square, thinking that they were coming to receive their friends but the reverse was the case.

The monarch, at a point, wept profusely as he reflected on the horrendous civil war.
He said that he narrowly escape being slaughtered. “When we got there, they separated the men from the women. The next thing we saw was that they opened fire. They surrounded our people with machine gun and they slaughtered them in thousands. Some of us who were able to escape were those that dead bodies fell upon.

“I didn’t know there another killing field, CMC Field at Ogbeosowa. Men and women filled the place. They told us to dig graves, face the graves and start saying our prayer. I was praying with other people when one Land Rover arrived. It was Barb Ali, my classmate at New Ethel College, Onitsha. He called me Sunny and asked what I was doing there. I told him I was from Asaba, that I came to join my people. He commanded me to enter the vehicle immediately and I did. One other person, John Okonyia, entered too. A few seconds after we drove out of the place, they opened fire on our people. The whole people there were mowed down. The women buried those men killed. The women went through the bodies looking for their own people because everybody wore akwa ocha. So, if you recognised anyone that you know, you take the body and bury. Vultures were feasting on the dead, puncturing their stomachs,” he lamented in Igbo.

Take this from Femi Adebajo: “The Asaba massacre was more than a single orgy of wholesale and premeditated slaughter of civillians but a series of mass killings over several days, preceded by brutality from the invading 101 Division, and separated by a background level of occasional murders, rape, looting and destruction/expropriation of property including house,”

Trophy wives
Although the soldiers raped so many women, both young and old, they “married” so many others.

Compensation
After 52 years of living with the trauma, it appears do not want to dwell in bitterness and would rather move on. Therefore, the leadership of the Asaba Development Union Worldwide seeking some form of reparation from the Federal Government apart from tendering an apology. The President General of ADU, Professor Epiphany Azige, said the least they could ask for is a university at Asaba.
Last line: When Daily Sun visited Ogbeosowa last Thursday, a cenotaph had been erected in memory of the victims, with their names inscribed on the wall.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/asaba-massacre-untold-story-of-tragedy-and-carnage/

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Slimdan360: 6:11am On Jan 21, 2020
Hmm
A lot of the horrors of the civil war was caused by the brutality of the Nigerian military force whose main aim in that war was not to conquer both to loot and destroy,it is high time they stop recruiting armed robbers who are looking for a better way to to rob in the army.May the souls of the departed rest on.Amen

FTC

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by kernniejay(m): 6:27am On Jan 21, 2020
These are also blood of innocent Nigerians crying to God for vengeance with the blood of those being killed daily by boko haram, herdsmen and other terrorists.
May the soul of the deceased at the Asaba Massacre rest in peace, amen.

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by rummmy: 6:27am On Jan 21, 2020
I don't think there will be peace in this country until the FG apologize for all their crimes.

71 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Davash222(m): 6:48am On Jan 21, 2020
rummmy:
I don't think there will be peace in this country until the FG apologize for all their crimes.
Apology can’t be enough. Justice should be served!

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by vastolord4(m): 6:58am On Jan 21, 2020
Make I hear? Apology to who? Just free them to their own karma.. I swear.. ss and see.. will always be better than their stupid states.. go to the north, you'll know what I'm saying.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Racoon(m): 7:11am On Jan 21, 2020
The price for organized genocide and annihilation of the Asaba people was paid by Lt.Col.Murtala Mohammed & Capt.Ibrahim "Gagara" Taiwo.They came in all guns blazing and also left the world in a hail of bullets.RIP Asaba brethren & other victims of similar injustice till date.

122 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Susu888(m): 7:14am On Jan 21, 2020
;DMehn! Nigeria surely has its fair share of dark history.... embarassed

The whole people there were mowed down. The women buried those men killed. The women went through the bodies looking for their own people because everybody wore akwa ocha. So, if you recognised anyone that you know, you take the body and bury. [b] [/color]Vultures were feasting on the dead, puncturing their stomachs", he lamented in Igbo[color=#990000]

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:31am On Jan 21, 2020
Someone from okpanam delta carried out the political killings and they told u igbos( new eastern states) are the cause n u believed them shouting one Nigeria ,
....fulani get sense ,just to collect power from igbos they pushed yorubas and co to act of nonsensical genocide ,

Asaba people no mercy from me ,u are all wicked ndi Nzuzu ,

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by KEVIND: 7:32am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:
Someone from okpanam delta carried out the political killings and they told u igbos are the cause n u believed them shouting one Nigeria ,
....fulani get sense ,just to collect power from igbos they pushed yorubas and co to act of nonsensical genocide ,

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:35am On Jan 21, 2020
vastolord4:
Make I hear? Apology to who? Just free them to their own karma.. I swear.. ss and see.. will always be better than their stupid states.. go to the north, you'll know what I'm saying.

Asaba is still talking trash in 2020 and has refused to learn , because of their brothers nzeogwu n ifeajuna ..fulani collected power from igbos by brainwashing all tribes even them to fight igbos "
And they dare shout "one nigeria "

No Rip to them ,I hate wicked n stupid people

8 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by efighter: 7:36am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:
Someone from okpanam delta carried out the political killings and they told u igbos are the cause n u believed them shouting one Nigeria ,

Imagine a woman thinking this way. One man will Marty this woman one day, and that's the beginning

20 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:37am On Jan 21, 2020
@ Kevind tell any Asaba person that a lady from ibeku has no pity for them"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by KEVIND: 7:37am On Jan 21, 2020
efighter:
When you picked up arms against the Federal Republic, what were you expecting? Hugs and kisses? Well, some of your women and ladies were actually used as sex slaves within the period, so they got the hugs and kisses you were expecting when you declared war against the Federal Republic.

Everything is far and just in War and in Love.

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:41am On Jan 21, 2020
efighter:

Imagine a woman thinking this way. One man will Marty this woman one day, and that's the beginning

May 9/11 never happen to u ,
Am married with 4 F.O.U.R children
Where is nzeogwu from?
Where is ifeaju from?
And what is Igbo offence since Asaba isn't Igbo ,but Midwest
I hate stupid people , is clear fulanis used all of u downtrod..den tribes to take power from us

And God will judge all of u mark my word

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:44am On Jan 21, 2020
efighter:
When you picked up arms against the Federal Republic, what were you expecting? Hugs and kisses? Well, some of your women and ladies were actually used as sex slaves within the period, so they got the hugs and kisses you were expecting when you declared war against the Federal Republic.

Did they pick up arms ? Hell no
Asaba people said they are not biafra ,that biafra is wicked , one Nigeria for life!
And now
Now where is nzeogwu from?

Fulani I remove cap for una , u people are only Igbo match in Nigeria other tribes are akamu

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by gidgiddy: 7:45am On Jan 21, 2020
efighter:

I guess you dont even know that Asaba was not part of Biafra

37 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:46am On Jan 21, 2020
efighter:

If I divorce my husband and later marry an Asaba man I will say it in his ear on our honeymoon " Asaba ntoooooor" cheesy

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by samuel19222(m): 7:46am On Jan 21, 2020
a kowane matsayi ka samu kanka a rayuwa, koyaushe ka ba Allah daukaka.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by wonuks(m): 7:47am On Jan 21, 2020
shocked
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:47am On Jan 21, 2020
was alleged that the massacre was carried out to teach the Mid-Western region a bitter lesson “for their sympathy for the Biafrans.” Barely three months into the war over the declaration of the Republic of Biafra, the federal troops descended on the small town on the west bank of the River Niger.
This is a very very sad story to read.
Eyes welled up in tears.

May we never ever experience any war in our darling nation again.
Nothing good ever come out of any kinda war.
That was why the Head of state during the war declared that there was NO VICTOR, NO VANQUISHED the day the Civil War ended.
The two sides regretted it at the end of it all.

In one Nigeria we believe.
Let us all live in peace and love with one another.

God bless Nigeria.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:47am On Jan 21, 2020
And Buhari was among those blood thirsty soldiers that did this. And this Buhari is Nigeria president today. You can now imagine why there is so much killings in the land.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Marvieduke(f): 7:47am On Jan 21, 2020
All I pray for is peace.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by moscobabs(m): 7:47am On Jan 21, 2020
This is bad

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by nanauju(f): 7:48am On Jan 21, 2020
angry
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by gidgiddy: 7:48am On Jan 21, 2020
The Irony of it all was that it was Lt Col Dimka who revenged the Asaba killings

10 years later in 1976, Dimka murdered the two principal actors in the Asaba massacre, General Murtala Mohammed and Lt Col Taiwo

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 21, 2020
Nigeria too like bloody.

Murderers everywhere.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 7:50am On Jan 21, 2020
In other people's case is " Okote oburu"

In our 1967's case " obute obutere osa"

July 1968 ,fulanimen called nzeogwu to reward him " that's when biafra killed him " biafra know ur history.. they wants to reward him for been the architect of Igbo power removal

Money running in millions

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: 10 Promises Osinbajo Made To Nigerians In Declaration Speech / Bomb Explosion, Sporadic Gun Shots In Kano: Vanguard / Police Parade Elvis Okafor Arrested While Buying Food For Sick Mum As ESN Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.