Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg (62860 Views)

Pandora Papers: Global Investigation Exposes Secrets Of Some Of Nigeria’s Elite / Femi FaniKayode: If Cows Were Affected By Coronavirus, What Buhari Would've Done / Atiku Abubakar Convoy Trapped By Supporters In Kano (photos,video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 02, 2020
Border closures mean the powerful can’t seek treatment abroad

Nigeria has 75,000 doctors, far below WHO recommendations

For decades, powerful Nigerians could ignore the government’s failure to invest adequately in the health-care system by seeking medical treatment abroad. The coronavirus pandemic means they can no longer escape.

Since Nigeria identified its first case in late February, President Muhammadu Buhari has responded by closing the borders and imposing a lockdown on two key cities and the state of Ogun, an industrial hub. Commercial flights and private jets have been grounded. Like most African countries, Nigeria is now largely cut off from the world.

The pandemic has forced much of Africa’s elite into a unique situation where it’s no longer possible to fly to the U.K., France or India to see a doctor, a practice that’s become commonplace even among the affluent middle class.

Buhari was widely criticized for spending more than five months in the U.K. in 2017 for an undisclosed ailment. Last year, Gabon’s president, Ali Bongo, recovered in Morocco from a stroke, while Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s former leader, died in a hospital in Singapore.

In Nigeria, the coronavirus has so far infected 174 people, including Abba Kyari, Buhari’s chief of staff, a man regarded as the second-most powerful in the country. Four out of 36 state governors and a son of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar have also tested positive. A former senior executive of the state oil company, Suleiman Achimugu, was the first Covid-19 fatality.

‘Total Collapse’
Dozens of senior public officials, including state governors and lawmakers, have gone into isolation. If they get sick, they will have to rely on a weak health system that is at risk of crumbling under the weight of a larger outbreak, according to Francis Faduyile, head of the Nigerian Medical Association, an umbrella group for doctors.

“The health system is not strong enough,” Faduyile said by phone from Lagos. “Over the years, it’s been denied normal funding and things are not where they’re supposed to be. If the burden of the coronavirus is added, it may be too heavy; it may actually cause a total collapse.”

Among Nigeria’s registered health professionals are 75,000 doctors, 180,709 nurses and 25,000 pharmacists, according to the health ministry. With 0.5% hospital beds per 1,000 people and a population of roughly 200 million, that’s far below thresholds set by the World Health Organization. Only five laboratories are able to test for the virus.

Health spending at around 5% of the budget in the past decade falls short of the African Union’s recommended minimum of 15% and has been mostly focused on recurrent spending, with little capital investment made over the years, according to BudgiT, a civil-society group that tracks government expenditure. A National Health Act that came into effect in 2015 and requires that 1% of government revenue is set aside for basic health care has yet to be implemented.

Even those numbers may not tell the whole story as officials of the medical association say about half of all registered doctors have emigrated to the U.K., the U.S., Canada, Australia and other parts of the world.

While Faduyile said there’s still time for the government to institute large-scale preventative measures, a wider coronavirus outbreak would leave everyone in Africa’s most populous country -- the rich, the poor and the middle class -- scrambling for service in poorly equipped hospitals.

“It’s going to be a lesson for those who think they can neglect the health system,” Faduyile said. “The highest of the government officials, some of them will be infected, and they’ll have no option but to get local treatment.”

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-02/trapped-by-coronavirus-nigeria-s-elite-faces-squalid-hospitals?__twitter_impression=true

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by MrStan11(m): 3:08pm On Apr 02, 2020
grin

We die here.
Brother corona abeg no kill us but teach us lesson

On the other hand
Firstus commentus
Come n beat me, I dey quarantine
grin

235 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by etebefia: 3:08pm On Apr 02, 2020
What a shame! This Covid-19 has really exposed this government for what it is, clueless and corrupt. Nigerians don't even trust this government with the donations.

135 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Restoresp: 3:12pm On Apr 02, 2020
All our leaders past and present need to be quarantined with koboko for putting us in this mess

231 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:20pm On Apr 02, 2020
Where is Abba Kyari

Pls let's pray for his quick recovery.

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by sapientia(m): 3:23pm On Apr 02, 2020
One of Buhari's campaign point in 2015 was stopping medical tourism.

Yet,

He has only used UK hospitals.

Spent millions of dollars in medical tourism.

He failed to equip even the state hospital.

Yet Zombies still support and worship him

Dude jazz up wella

485 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Munzy14(m): 3:26pm On Apr 02, 2020
Maybe God is going to carryout the revolution personally.

192 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by jagojunior(m): 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2020
Looking forward to Post Covid19 Nigeria

155 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Racoon(m): 3:30pm On Apr 02, 2020
It stems, instead, from their perception of coronavirus as a social leveler, which has forced their leaders to experience the health care sector they have abandoned for years since foreign medical tourism is no longer an option at least in the foreseeable future. In other words, they see coronavirus as the karmic payback to their leaders for their enduringly criminal neglect of the health of the nation.

In Nigeria, before coronavirus, when the rich were sick, they sought the best medical treatment abroad while the poor at home prayed for them to recover, but when the poor are sick, the rich tell them they are suffering divine punishment for their moral failings.

Why should ordinary people who are the victims of the callous ineptitude and lack of empathy of their leaders be invited to show compassion to their leaders now in their moment of helplessness? Why shouldn’t the poor celebrate that the rich are also crying and have nowhere to go but the same hospitals they allowed to rot for years?
https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2020/03/yaraduaization-and-politics-of.html?m=1#.Xn7B_NCnJbA.twitter

Nigeria truly deserves its leaders but it's now pay back time to the leaders/elites courtesy of the raging Coronavirus pandemic.The viscous cycle will consume them all.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by BeeBeeOoh(m): 3:42pm On Apr 02, 2020
Sometime ago:

Doctors Are Free To Leave Nigeria, We Have Enough - Chris Ngige

Today:

Nigeria Has 75,000 Doctors Which Is Far Below Our Recommendations - WHO

Our Minister Of Labour must be Mad or He Is Madding or He Has Madded before. Nothing more, nothing less

194 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by BeeBeeOoh(m): 3:50pm On Apr 02, 2020
My joy is that none of them can leave the shores of Nigeria to treat himself or herself, we all are stuck in this country together. But,

It must be really difficult for Buhari, imagine him staying in Nigeria for more that a month now. Chai!

82 Likes

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 02, 2020
Frontpage Lalasticlala,Mynd44,Seun

1 Like

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by ZombiePUNISHER: 4:17pm On Apr 02, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Where is Abba Kyari

I would rather pray for the devil......

Those who raped this country and the future of her citizens must face karma....

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by koffsman(m): 4:20pm On Apr 02, 2020
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Now reality has drawn on the mighty and powerful ones of this country, now they can't fly out to treat headache na the same hospital we dey use I just hope corona finds them in their closet and do what it knows how to do best

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by ZombiePUNISHER: 4:21pm On Apr 02, 2020
sapientia:

Yet,

Dude jazz up wella

One dude in particular called rusher14
Praises this failure at any given opportunity

But what baffles me is that this dude... Claims he's intelligent

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by rusher14: 4:29pm On Apr 02, 2020
ZombiePUNISHER:

One dude in particular called rusher14
Praises this failure at any given opportunity

But what baffles me is that this dude... Claims he's intelligent

I claim to be intelligent?

Please show me where I made this claim?

6 Likes

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by ZombiePUNISHER: 4:33pm On Apr 02, 2020
rusher14:

I claim to be intelligent?

Please show me where I made this claim?

You will also claim not to be a supporter of the dullard whose only achievement in office is to come on TV once in a while and show us that he's still alive...

113 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by rusher14: 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2020
ZombiePUNISHER:

You will also claim not to be a supporter of the dullard whose only achievement in office is to come on TV once in a while and show us that he's still alive...

Stop shifting the goalpost.

You made a claim about me and I asked you to prove it.

Just prove I ever made the claim, that's all.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2020
sapientia:

Yet,

Dude jazz up wella
That is why he got roasted by Imam of Peace.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 02, 2020
ZombiePUNISHER:

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Biafrarep(m): 5:19pm On Apr 02, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Where is Abba Kyari

Pray for who?
I don't even know what is delaying the news majority of Nigerians are waiting to hear.
They are going to drink the poisoned chalice they prepared for Nigerians!!

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by StaffofOrayan(m): 5:20pm On Apr 02, 2020
Chai and these politicians still have followers??

11 Likes

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by neutralmind: 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2020
Nigeria... grin
Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by lonelydora: 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Where is Abba Kyari

You have started again.

If the story Nigerians are waiting to hear turns out to be true ehh, the jubilation will be more than the Abacha's own.

These APC/PDP guys have showed us pepper in this country.
Coronavirus, please don't stop until you are done with all Nigerian politicians (my uncle inclusive). I will manage and stay indoors for you to do your work in Nigeria for us.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by lmm4real: 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
undecided I like the Trapped they use

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Hofbrauhaus(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
We are all gonna die.... cry cry

We are gonna die....

We elected a useless President and now we are all gonna die.... Jesus!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by NigeriaBam: 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
grin
Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by TemmyT002(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
Buhahahahaha
Nice one, Bloomberg

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by sylve11: 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
Nigeria na very terrible country. sad cool

1 Like

Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 02, 2020
May Almighty God safe us and our entire family from this deadly coronavirus amen
Re: Trapped By Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals - Bloomberg by Kendumazy(m): 6:07pm On Apr 02, 2020
Nobody can call reputable media houses like BBC, CNN, Saharareporters, Bloomberg etc any names this moment over their reportage cos it's happening in every one eyes and the truth is staring at everyone's face. Ohhh! What a great moment of truth!

38 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Ejike Mbaka Disappeared And Reappeared In A Motorcade / Osinbajo Goes To Buy Ice Cream After Shettima Said He Should Sell Ice Cream / The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.