Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,022 members, 7,806,999 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies (33820 Views)

Why Don't Men Talk About This With Their Wives? / Married Men Sleeping With Their Wife's Sister Or Maid: Let's Talk About It. / Why Nigerian Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by BigCabal: 3:50pm On Sep 21, 2020
A vasectomy is a permanent contraceptive method where a male’s vas deferens is cut and tied or sealed to prevent sperm from getting to the urethra, to stop the man from ejaculating and fertilizing the female’s egg. Whew, that’s a lot of grammar. In simpler English, the tube that carries sperm from the testicles is tied up or sealed in order to prevent the sperm from reaching the penis. This procedure is mostly permanent although it may be reversed in some cases.

Men are increasingly considering vasectomies as a contraceptive method. For the most part, they do it to take the burden off their female partners who have historically been expected to use birth control methods that give them nasty side effects and some times, permanent damage. Vasectomies are generally safe and not as painful as most people think it is. I talked to 5 Nigerian men about vasectomies. They had some pretty interesting answers.

Paul, 38
I decided to get a vasectomy because we were done havings kids and no longer wanted to worry about falling pregnant. It’s less invasive for a guy to get a vasectomy than for a woman to undergo tubal ligation (tying up the fallopian tubes). It’s also way cheaper and requires much shorter recovery time. It’s not even comparable.

I had it done three years ago at my doctor’s office. It was a keyhole surgery (a minimally invasive surgery that’s carried out through a small incision in the skin) with local anaesthesia. I was chatting with the doctor the whole time while he had my balls in his hands. The procedure took all of 30 minutes. I had it done on a Friday and only took Monday off work (because its a desk job). I was cleared to return to the gym after a week.

I don’t regret it at all because it was an informed decision. Also, my wife put her body through the trials of pregnancy and childbirth. Getting a vasectomy done is such a small hit to take for the team. It’s even a bonus because you can have sexy time without condoms or fear of getting pregnant.

When people hear that I underwent the procedure, they’re generally chill about it. Except Nigerian men. They act like they’ve seen a ghost or I called their mother a witch. I can see them fighting the urge to grab their balls to ensure it’s still there. There’s no regret for me. I have two kids. I don lock shop. My team has retired my jersey. Full MVP status.

Hamza, 31
I’ve setup a vasectomy appointment for November. I don’t have any children and I’m perfectly fine with the prospect of never having one. My girlfriend is completely fine with it although I dare not tell my mother.

Ejiro, 47
I got a vasectomy six years ago. The birth of my third child was a shock to my wife and me, so we immediately decided that I would undergo a vasectomy. It wasn’t a big deal; I’m a doctor and I knew exactly what to expect. I was told it would be potentially painful but it really wasn’t. I was prescribed painkillers and I stopped taking them about ten days after the procedure.

I had it done here in the UK so it was pretty straightforward and, more importantly, free. Asides my wife, not even my close friends and family know that I underwent the procedure. Even if they did, they wouldn’t be surprised I had it done.

Now that I’ve had it done, I’ve got complete sexual freedom. I’m not bothered about whether my wife remembers to take her pills. I’m happy knowing that I’ve completed my family size. It is something I should have taken responsibility for and done a long time ago.

Sam, 32
I’m yet to get a vasectomy but my wife and I are in agreement on this, and I’ve spoken with a urologist. I’ve decided to get this done in November (that’s when our baby will be born) because my wife and I got married knowing that we’re both AS. You might think it’s a big risk but we both knew what we were getting into. Before we got married, we both wanted a child.

When she got pregnant, we took a test to confirm the genotype of the baby, and if she turned out to be SS, we would have aborted immediately. Luckily, she’s AS.

I’m a health worker, so I have experienced firsthand what women go through with birth control and family planning. I’ve seen how it messes them up in different ways like weight gain and constant bleeding. I’ve decided to take that pain off my wife and get a vasectomy done.

Ayo, 34
I’ve decided to get one. I’m married and I have 2 boys that mean the world to me. People ask if I don’t want to try again for a girl and I wonder if they will help me cater for that extra mouth in this Nigerian economy.

Source: https://www.zikoko.com/man/5-nigerian-men-talk-about-vasectomies/

45 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Karleb(m): 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
IMO, this is expensive.
There are other ways to prevent pregnancy and all.

Vasectomy isn't permanent!

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Amanee(f): 5:18pm On Sep 21, 2020
These men don't seem to be based in Nigeria

159 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Klass99(f): 5:24pm On Sep 21, 2020

94 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Biglittlelois(f): 7:22pm On Sep 21, 2020
This men cannot be in Nigeria naaa, suggesting it to a man here is like putting a gun to their head for a kill shot.

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by WaterTheMonk(m): 3:45am On Sep 22, 2020
Denying yourself further procreation because you want to please another gender. 21st century joke

168 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by WaterTheMonk(m): 3:46am On Sep 22, 2020
Biglittlelois:
This men cannot be in Nigeria naaa, suggesting it to a man here is like putting a gun to their head for a kill shot.
there is a supposed Ayo 34 there in the purported claims

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by bukatyne(f): 7:32am On Sep 22, 2020
WaterTheMonk:
Denying yourself further procreation because you want to please another gender. 21st century joke

If you guys (men & women bittter in this section about making their partners happy) choose well, your spouses would not be 'another gender', 'one man', 'one woman', bla bla that permeates this section.

A husband had VC to prevent further pregnancies when they have gotten to the required kids and you are talking of 'denying himself further procreation'?

Does he want to start a motherless babies home or sperm donation?

156 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by mariahAngel(f): 9:21am On Sep 22, 2020
bukatyne:

If you guys (men & women butter in this section about making their partners happy) choose well, your spouses would not be 'another gender', 'one man', 'one woman', bla bla that permeates this section.

A husband had VC to prevent further pregnancies when they have gotten to the required kids and you are talking of 'denying himself further procreation'?

Does he want to start a motherless babies home or sperm donation?

As a Christian, do you agree with the procedure?

Please, don't give me your favourite "where is it written in the bible?" line... God cannot be mocked or fooled.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by YourCoffin: 10:28am On Sep 22, 2020
Good luck to those who want to mutilate their Gbola. I cherish mine the way it is. Besides, a new study has also revealed that vasectomy increases the risk of prostate cancer in men.

Since black men are more prone to prostate cancer than other races, I don't think any black man should be considering vasectomy. The white men that always find ways to kill themselves can have it.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by bukatyne(f): 11:46am On Sep 22, 2020
mariahAngel:

As a Christian, do you agree with the procedure?

Please, don't give me your favourite "where is it written in the bible?" line... God cannot be mocked or fooled.

@bold:

This is called anchoring in negotiations which doesn't work with me grin

So I will still ask: 'where is it written in the Bible' or better still 'what argument do you have against it as a Christian?

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by mariahAngel(f): 12:44pm On Sep 22, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

This is called anchoring in negotiations which doesn't work with me grin

So I will still ask: 'where is it written in the Bible' or better still 'what argument do you have against it as a Christian?

God's plan for man is procreation.
Whatever is contrary to God's plan is rebellion against God and vasectomy is against procreation. Therefore, it is a sin before God.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by bukatyne(f): 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2020
mariahAngel:

God's plan for man is procreation.
Whatever is contrary to God's plan is rebellion against God and vasectomy is against procreation, regardless of the reason behind it. Therefore, it is a sin before God.

Family planning is also 'against' procreation. Is it a sin?

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by mariahAngel(f): 2:27pm On Sep 22, 2020
bukatyne:

Family planning is also 'against' procreation. Is it a sin?

That it is socially acceptable does not mean it is not a sin.
Mankind has always been looking for ways to have sex indiscriminately without the responsibility that comes with it.
At the end of it all, it is what it's all about. Sex.
The foolishness of man is to think he can outsmart God. There are always consequences to these things which man will never foresee.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2020
WaterTheMonk:
You are the joke here

38 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by bukatyne(f): 2:55pm On Sep 22, 2020
mariahAngel:

That it is socially acceptable does not mean it is not a sin.
Mankind has always been looking for ways to have sex indiscriminately without the responsibility that comes with it.
At the end of it all, it is what it's all about. Sex.

The foolishness of man is to think he can outsmart God. There are always consequences to these things which man will never foresee.

@bold:

I agree with you that's why I prefer to discuss family planning within marriage.

What do you advise a couple who wants two kids and have had them?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by mariahAngel(f): 3:06pm On Sep 22, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

I agree with you that's why I prefer to discuss family planning within marriage.

What do you advise a couple who wants two kids and have had them?

They should learn to practice abstinence or other form of intimacy within the ovulation period.
They won't die from not having sex within that period of time.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by GboyegaD(m): 3:09pm On Sep 22, 2020
It could reverse itself as well although the probability is very low.

For me, once I make the family size we desire, I'm getting it done. Cannot afford stories that touch.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by crackhaus: 3:18pm On Sep 22, 2020
Mehn fück this shit, no scalpel or surgical knife is going anywhere near my balls.

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Liposure: 3:54pm On Sep 22, 2020
How can i tamper with my organ when there are better and friendly ways of avoiding pregnancy. Can't happen. I cherish my instrument

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by bukatyne(f): 6:12pm On Sep 22, 2020
mariahAngel:

They should learn to practice abstinence or other form of intimacy within the ovulation period.
They won't die from not having sex within that period of time.

You are assuming all women have regular periods.

Anyways, i consider the motive in addition to the action.

With my little Bible knowledge and Christian race, I have not seen anywhere that contraceptives in marriage is a sin or wrong.

And I have no business with what is 'socially' acceptable, I work with what is right.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Raalsalghul: 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2020
I am thinking of undergoing this process; just concerned about the pain.
Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by EmperorMaria: 11:13pm On Sep 22, 2020
crackhaus:
Mehn fück this shit, no scalpel or surgical knife is going anywhere near my balls.

I agree, bc u need extra balls,,nt losing the little you hav already

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Mynd44: 4:47am On Sep 23, 2020
Going by the side-effects of birthcontrols on women (hormonal, weight issues) vasectomy is something I have had my sight into for a long while. After a certain number of children, get it done and have peace. If I want any other offspring by force, adoption is the way.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by tillaman(m): 4:53am On Sep 23, 2020
Ain’t no living omni disconnecting nothing in my body, we go dey use CD dey go abeg

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by MrTAnonymous(m): 4:56am On Sep 23, 2020
Oh boy! This men are strong oo. shocked
I can't do that. What if the case arise in the future and I need to have more kids? What if my wife divorces me and I remarry and I need a kid with my woman? What if my kids die and I have no option than to procreate? What will I do? undecided So I can't do it, thank you, Next!!!

Incase you don't know na me talk

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by okeyben10: 5:02am On Sep 23, 2020
angry
Imagine having a vasectomy after 4 kids.

Ten years later you discover non of d kids are yours cheesy

Lol.
When it comes to birth control, i hate anything permanent. I hate vasectomy same way i hate hysterectomy.

Leave d balls and the womb where God put am

@mariangeles, you must b a strong catholic. Those your views are really strong.

It was also God's plan for man to have dominion over animals and fish of the sea. But if a lion were to run loose in d city, na we go still run. The intended natural order of things has already been altered

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Nobody: 5:04am On Sep 23, 2020
shocked nawao
Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Dangrace01: 5:04am On Sep 23, 2020
Girls like prick oh choi
Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by jaydeevaa(f): 5:08am On Sep 23, 2020
I think this is a welcome development...men should also be responsible for family planning. it should not just be the women. Family planning methods for women have proven to be life threatening...with side effects like causing obesity, cervical cancer, bleeding, high blood pressure among others...if vasectomy doesn't exactly pose a threat to the life and wellbeing of a man, then it should be welcomed.

22 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies by Gerrard59(m): 5:09am On Sep 23, 2020
BigCabal:
A vasectomy is a permanent contraceptive method where a male’s vas deferens is cut and tied or sealed to prevent sperm from getting to the urethra, to stop the man from ejaculating and fertilizing the female’s egg. Whew, that’s a lot of grammar. In simpler English, the tube that carries sperm from the testicles is tied up or sealed in order to prevent the sperm from reaching the penis. This procedure is mostly permanent although it may be reversed in some cases.

Ayo, 34
I’ve decided to get one. I’m married and I have 2 boys that mean the world to me. People ask if I don’t want to try again for a girl and I wonder if they will help me cater for that extra mouth in this Nigerian economy.

Source: https://www.zikoko.com/man/5-nigerian-men-talk-about-vasectomies/

This is my basis for opting for vasectomy when the time comes. Procreation is relatively inexpensive but raising children (giving them the best than what your parents did) is expensive. In an economy where GDP growth has been very anaemic considering that population growth continues to rise, it implies jobs will be scarce ditto wealth creation opportunities as the economy isn't creating enough to cater for the huge number of people. Also, it's an option for men who love playing away matches: you will not have another child outside your marriage (another cost to finance). Considering how cheap vasectomy is and expensive raising children is, it's the best contraceptive one can think of. As for those using religion to argue against vasectomy, that's total balderdash!

40 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Should I Report A Cheating Husband To His Wife? / Hilariously Inappropriate Spelling Mistakes By Kids (pics). / Woman Burnt By Fire While Helping Her Blind Husband In Benue (Viewers Discretion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.