Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (31144 Views)

CBN Says Account Holders Can Access Cash As BVN Deadline Ends Today / Urgent Help; I Forgot My Gtbank Account Number. / Checking Your GTBANK Account Balance Via SMS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by humblebee: 10:36pm On Jan 23, 2012
THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL GTB ACCOUNT HOLDERS, PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME TO READ AND ALSO TAKE NOTE OF THE IMAGES ATTACHED.
THERE IS A SCAM EMAIL CIRCULATING AND IT LOOKS SO REAL. DONT ASK ME HOW I GOT TO KNOW.

THE ONLY PERFECT TRICK ABOUT THEIR SCAM IS THE EMAIL THE SCAM MESSAGE IS ORIGINATING FROM ""GeNS@gtbank.com" <GeNS@gtbank.com>" SAME EMAIL GTB USES TO SEND TRANSACTION NOTIFICATIONS. NOW YOU ASK HOW THEY GOT THIS, LET ME SPARE THE DETAILS.

BUT BE CAREFUL. CHECK THE IMAGES AND NOTE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WEBSITE. I DONT HAVE MUCH TIME TO EXPLAIN ALL BUT THE IMAGE IS EXPLANATORY ENOUGH, A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE. I CAN TELL YOU AUTHORITATIVELY THAT MONEY CAN BE TRANSFERRED FROM YOU ACCOUNT WITHOUT THE DUMMY TOKEN YOU HAVE WITH YOU. BE CAREFUL. THANK YOU
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by humblebee: 10:38pm On Jan 23, 2012
THE EMAIL IS AS FOLLOWS, JUST IN-CASE YOU'VE GOTTEN IT WITH IMAGES AND IT'S SO PERFECT THAT YOU WON'T NOTICE CONSIDERING THE EMAIL ADDRESS THEY USED AND ALSO THE WEBSITE YOU'RE DIRECTED TO.

Dear Valued customer,

GUARANTY TRUST BANK CUSTOMER DATA UPDATE EXERCISE

As part of our continuous efforts towards providing you with excellent customer service and ensuring efficiency in
transaction processing, we request that you kindly update your records with the Bank by going to https://ebank.gtbank.com/ibank3/update/login.aspx
This update will help us to prevent any unauthorised or illegal use of our customers identity and to confirm that you are
truely the owner of the account you are operating. Failure to update your account now will lead to termination of your account and internet banking services for security reasons.
click here now for the update.

GTBank is committed to protect the identity of it's internet banking users.
Help us to serve you better. It's all about your security.
Thank you for choosing Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.

© 2011 Guaranty Trust Bank.

NOTE : THIS UPDATE MUST BE DONE IMMEDIATELY OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DISABLED
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by humblebee: 10:43pm On Jan 23, 2012
THIS IS WHAT THE REAL WEBSITE LOOKS LIKE.
NOTE:

1.THE WEBSITE ADDRESS IS FTTP AND NOT FTP
HTTP MEANS Hypertext Transfer Protocol WHILE FTP MEANS file transfer protocol

2. THE WEBSITE IS ALSO VERIFIED WHICH YOU CAN CONFIRM FROM THE ADDRESS BAR (VERIFIED BY VERISIGN) A FTP CAN NEVER BE VERIFIED

3. THEN THE THIRD ONE WHICH IS MORE OF AN OVERSIGHT BECAUSE IT'S EASY TO ADD IS THE TIME AND DATE ON THE ORIGINAL WEBSITE.

Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by humblebee: 10:46pm On Jan 23, 2012
NOW COMPARE THAT TO THIS ONE,  THIS IS THE WEBSITE YOU'LL BE DIRECTED TO FROM THE LINK YOU GET IN THE EMAIL. ITS A FTP THAT COLLECTS YOUR DETAILS IN A DATABASE LIKE A FORM DATA COLLECTION SYSTEM. SO BE VIGILANT, BESIDES A BANK WILL NOT ASK YOU TO UPDATE YOUR DETAILS ONLINE. YOU SHOULD RATHER DO THAT AT THE BANKING HALL WHERE YOU CAN GO BACK TO HOLD SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG.
THIS IS THE BEST I CAN DO, GOOD LUCK

Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by denzel2009: 10:48pm On Jan 23, 2012
It's called phishing. . . . good of you to bring it to people's attention.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by humblebee: 10:57pm On Jan 23, 2012
moderator: i think it'll be nice if this thread is moved to front page.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by deekseen(m): 11:21pm On Jan 23, 2012
Been receiving this scam mail for a while now. Infact i receive it on every email i have, except the one attached to my GTB account (because i change the email and attached to my account from time to time), so i worryless about the threat. Thanks for bringing this here, humblebee.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Osama10(m): 10:18am On Jan 24, 2012
Na wa this guys don't relent at all.

Cashless Nigeria would be hell.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by KejiOJ(m): 10:21am On Jan 24, 2012
i always get msgs 4rm this so called gtb

checkout this msgs sent from them,

To:
Sent: Friday, January 6, 2012 3:01:16 PM
Subject: YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED N500,000 NAIRA IN THE GTBANK NEW YEAR PROMO

www.gtbank.com/images/gens/logo_g.gif

Dear Valued customer,

GTBANK NEW YEAR PROMOTION

Happy new year,we which to inform you that you have been choosen as one of the winners of N500,000 (five hundred thousand Naira in the GTbank 2012 new year promo.Your winning number is 201277090
,you can now verify your prize at our website https://gtbank.com/newyearpromo
You are required to verify and  your prize and transfer it to your GTbank Account immediately.the process is easy and fast.

Thank you for banking with us.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Funkymallam(m): 10:24am On Jan 24, 2012
Gud one there. I have been recieving the same email but what made me knw it was scam was that two days after d deadline they gave for d update of the acc they sent me another email with virtually d same content. More over the site was not opening properly, i only told myself, nobody can close my acc just lyk that.
Thnks for bringing it to d notice of ppl
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Lexusgs430: 10:24am On Jan 24, 2012
A key point to also note, is that your bank would address their customers by the name they used to open an account, ie Mr Frog Toad Fish, and not Dear Valued customer !!!
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 24, 2012
Another conspicuous fact to note is that GTBank uses https://ibank.gtbank.com/ibank3/update/login.aspx([b]i[/b]bank)
while the scammers use https://ebank.gtbank.com/ibank3/update/login.aspx([b]e[/b]bank)
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by LoveKing(m): 10:27am On Jan 24, 2012
Boiz are really smiling!
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by chuckdee4(m): 10:36am On Jan 24, 2012
Any email that asks you to update your information online is 100% fake.
If anyone needs to update their information go into your local branch and do it or do it via the ATM.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Ymodulus: 10:41am On Jan 24, 2012
But the both websites come from same domain. GTBANK.COM. am i missing something. As gtbank.com been hacked? Something is fishy. Cause i dont know how a hacker should get access to a subdomain sending mails with that and you still call it fraud. Its and inwork stuff by one of those workers at the it center not fraud. But all the same apply caution
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 24, 2012
LoveKing:

Boiz are really smiling!
I dey tell you! grin

And pls, anyone that receives such mails henceforth should mark them as "spam". i.e click "spam" while the message is open. This ensures that further emails from that address, or emails as such get to be sent to the spam folder automatically! wink

1 Like

Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by ogbongzky(m): 10:45am On Jan 24, 2012
Lexusgs430:

A key point to also note, is that your bank would address their customers by the name they used to open an account, ie Mr Frog Toad Fish, and not Dear Valued customer !!!

chuckdee4:

If anyone needs to update their information go into your local branch and do it or do it via the ATM.

Great points
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by lynxnoon(m): 10:50am On Jan 24, 2012
deekseen:

Been receiving this scam mail for a while now. Infact i receive it on every email i have, except the one attached to my GTB account (because i change the email and attached to my account from time to time), so i worryless about the threat. Thanks for bringing this here, humblebee.
Same here
i just send a mail back telling them how stupid they are wink grin
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by WinkWrld: 10:50am On Jan 24, 2012
A MUST SEE    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Qq-0ddFE&t=11s  

KINDLY TXT 525 TO 33680 AFTER VIEWING. THX
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by pato405(m): 11:01am On Jan 24, 2012
WinkWrld:

A MUST SEE    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Qq-0ddFE&t=11s  

KINDLY TXT 525 TO 33680 AFTER VIEWING. THX

which one is this again? why not just explain it here. arrrghhhhh angry angry angry angry angry

more often than not, there's a feeling of apprehension when opening these links. some are just trojan horses undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 24, 2012
...pls delete
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by yamakuza: 11:06am On Jan 24, 2012
sexkillz:

Another conspicuous fact to note is that GTBank uses https://ibank.gtbank.com/ibank3/update/login.aspx(i[/b]bank)
while the scammers use https://ebank.gtbank.com/ibank3/update/login.aspx([b]e[/b]bank)

WRONG.
[b]
Both urls belong to GTB and are authentic.

However, in a phishing mail, they are hyperlinked to another url totally unrelated to GTB.

You'll have to check your address bar to get the fake url, not the body of the email, unless of course you know how to read HTML.

Just saying so y'all dont go blacklisting GTB's IPs by adding them to your SPAM list.

Thanks!

Ymodulus:

But the both websites come from same domain.  GTBANK.COM. am i missing something. As gtbank.com been hacked? Something is fishy. Cause i dont know how a hacker should get access to a subdomain sending mails with that and you still call it fraud. Its and inwork stuff by one of those workers at the it center not fraud. But all the same apply caution
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by highland(m): 11:07am On Jan 24, 2012
Thanks so much for this awareness. i never took note, though i have received the email message from this fake site.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by stagger: 11:07am On Jan 24, 2012
Funny, when fire gutted the control centre in Dec, a link from the GTB site was directing people to the [b]e[/b]bank and not [b]i[/b]bank website. For me it was a red alert.

Just installed a Norton 2012 Antivirus Internet/Security software. Hope it helps protect me from all these spyware everywhere.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 24, 2012
Y r pple tryin to spoil my bank na?
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 24, 2012
...pls delete
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by maclatunji: 11:17am On Jan 24, 2012
The easiest way to know a scam is that they always give deadlines. So no matter how logical the proposition is, once they give you deadlines with dire consequences for not complying, you should suspect that it is a scam.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by babaowo: 11:18am On Jan 24, 2012
Nah wha oooo? Which kind country be this sef
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by JUO(m): 11:19am On Jan 24, 2012
i never had account with GTB but they keep sending me messages. in fact am scared of GTB now
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by sizzlers(m): 11:21am On Jan 24, 2012
i have been a victim of that, but God saved me before they duped me
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by jaybee3(m): 11:22am On Jan 24, 2012
Any email received in your inbox asking you to enter your account/password details is most definitely a scam.
If in doubt, walk into any branch of your bank and speak to an advisor
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Tolulop001(f): 11:23am On Jan 24, 2012
babaowo:

Nah wha oooo? Which kind country be this sef

my brother I tire oh!

chuckdee4:

GBAM! that is the conclusion of the matter.

If you are going to use internet banking of any of these e-portals, you have to be on your guard.

I use GT Internet banking for 90% of my transactions, so far no troubles

The tip off is that they prompted you to "update" the account! Why would they threaten to close my account in 2 days?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video Game Business In Lagos / 5 Ways To Identify Fake Currency Notes / Wedding: Hauwa & Meram Indimi Kamu Ceremonies (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.