Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,863 members, 7,962,822 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 05:30 PM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (25289 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by redsun(m): 11:35pm On Aug 25, 2012
aryzgreat:

exactly my thought, left for me i will say igbos are more religious tolerance than any tribe in naija bc its only in igboland u have chistian:muslim ratio in the neighbourhood of 99.9:0.01 and yet we allow them to worship their allah without harrassing them which cannot be said of them in the mainly muslim core north where minority christians are hunted like game.

The yorubas have no option than to be tolerant bc muslim:christian ratio is almost equal, no religion among the 2 is majority

Na true you talk oh.When you step out a little outside lagos to the hinter land as a non yoruba,the hostlity you get from the people could be very scary.It feels like you are ina strange and hostile land as imo ibo and they don't pretend to hide their inherent disgust,just like some of them here on this forum,especially when you can't speak the language.

Dont give me that jerk.The only people that are tolerant are the "aware" people and they cut across all tribes and races.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Samsantos9: 11:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
Although I may be wrong I think the Urhobo pple are the most tolerant pple in *Nigeria*
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 11:45pm On Aug 25, 2012
aryzgreat:

exactly my thought, left for me i will say igbos are more religious tolerance than any tribe in naija bc its only in igboland u have chistian:muslim ratio in the neighbourhood of 99.9:0.01 and yet we allow them to worship their allah without harrassing them which cannot be said of them in the mainly muslim core north where minority christians are hunted like game.

The yorubas have no option than to be tolerant bc muslim:christian ratio is almost equal, no religion among the 2 is majority

Obviously, ibo people are very intolerant and your own people are not even hiding that observation. Here is an article pleading with you people to learn religious tolerance from Yoruba people.

Thus, for Islam to survive in Igboland, Igbo Muslims must look for inspiration across the world for the best practices of Islamic religion. We have already cited the example of the Yorubaland.

The Yoruba provide us an example of the three dominant religions existing side by side. In a family, there could be a Bishop father, Imam son and Babalawo uncle, all living happily with one another.”

Nigerians, including the Igbo people, should learn to accept the trend of events of the contemporary world. In the 21st Century and beyond, contrary to the predictions of the likes of Huntington (1996), the world would not be characterized by “the clash of civilizations” but increasingly cultural dialogue and religious tolerance. This is despite the current ethno-religious crises in Nigeria or the unfortunate episode of “September eleven” 2001

http://www.egodiuchendu.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:igbo-culture-and-the-prospects-of-islam-in-eastern-nigeria&catid=5:papers&Itemid=11
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 11:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
Even Ojuku remains the godfather of ibo religious intolerance...

This perception about the religious-cum-ethnic divides in Nigeria was especially pronounced in the 1960s. Thus, Ojukwu (1969) in the famous “Ahiara Declaration” during the Nigeria-Biafra war could assert:
The Biafran struggle is, on another plane, a resistance to the Arab-Muslim expansionism which has menaced and ravaged the African continent for twelve centuries.
Our Biafran ancestors remained immune from the Islamic contagion. From the middle years of the last century Christianity was established in our land. In this way we came to be predominantly Christian people. We came to stand out as a non-Muslim island in a raging Islamic sea. Throughout the ill-fated Nigerian experiment, the Muslims hoped to infiltrate Biafra by peaceful means and quiet propaganda, but failed. Then the late Ahmadu Bello, the Sarduana of Sokoto, tried by political and economic blackmail … to convert Biafrans settled in Northern Nigeria to Islam. His hope was that these Biafrans of dispersion would then carry Islam to Biafra, and by so doing give the religion political control of the area.

It would seem that the phobia about Islam is still widely felt by many Igbo people, including scholars, as has been passionately presented by Nnorom (2003). Indeed, Nnorom (2003) has used Ojukwu’s statement to buttress his proposition that Igboland is the land of Christianity and should not be allowed Islamic penetration. Of course Ojukwu’s statement is more of propaganda than anything else. He knew more than anybody that the Nigerian-Biafra war was not a war between Northern Muslims versus Igbo Christians.

http://www.egodiuchendu.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:igbo-culture-and-the-prospects-of-islam-in-eastern-nigeria&catid=5:papers&Itemid=11
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by BlackPikiN(m): 12:28am On Aug 26, 2012
^^^^Who is ojuku?

You mean ojuiku like this man here?

You know see how his eyes dey?

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 12:49am On Aug 26, 2012
Dede1:

Why are you so witty on mambo jumbo styled historical facts? The British takeover of Yoruba land was due to thorough drubbing of Alaafin of Oyo and other Oba-in-hiding in Yoruba land. Are you insinuating British stood up treaties with Oba(s) in hiding? British might have signed a kindly gesture treaty but it was not for taking over Yoruba land which was accomplished before 1888. Kats believe me, you are full of jokes.

On Nigerian history, you take your ar.se whopping regularly, why do you want to make it worse by attempting Yoruba history?

The British never engaged Oyo or Ibadan. In fact, After the Ijaiye war in 1862, Ogunmola (the Balogun) took a British slave (Edward Roper) and demanded 200 kegs of gun powder as ransom. Despite British attempts to negotiate his release, it would take the British pleading to the Alaafin Adelu, who in turn pleaded with Ogunmola before Roper was released.

The British only engaged Yoruba forces on a couple of occasions and on both occasions, the objective wasn't to subdue but to relieve. Since you believe you know the history, can you tell us where these battles were held. Despite the fact that the British were in lagas for decades, they never moved beyond Ikorodu or Epe into Ogun. They would only move into the hinterland after the treaties of 1893 were signed ending the Yoruba civil war.

Second, You stated that the British whooped the Alaafin; can you tell us where and when?

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by amor4ce(m): 1:00am On Aug 26, 2012
The religious freedom observed among us Yoruba is causing a lot of problems as the Christians and Muslims are being used by our enemies as drones to pollute and erode our culture, and rebel against Olodumare, tear us apart and eliminate us. My opinion is sort of that Ela's (Orunmila) grace is responsible for our continued existence, which perhaps manifests as in-built religious tolerance, rather than any acquired factors.

A Reconstruction of Early Yoruba History

Nigeria’s problems caused by Christians, Moslems -Traditionalist
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 26, 2012
I agree with this yoruba culture....... A yoruba man can practice seven three different religion at the same time
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by TerraCotta(m): 1:26am On Aug 26, 2012
Katsumoto:

On Nigerian history, you take your ar.se whopping regularly, why do you want to make it worse by attempting Yoruba history?

The British never engaged Oyo or Ibadan. In fact, After the Ijaiye war in 1862, Ogunmola (the Balogun) took a British slave (Edward Roper) and demanded 200 kegs of gun powder as ransom. Despite British attempts to negotiate his release, it would take the British pleading to the Alaafin Adelu, who in turn pleaded with Ogunmola before Roper was released.

The British only engaged Yoruba forces on a couple of occasions and on both occasions, the objective wasn't to subdue but to relieve. Since you believe you know the history, can you tell us where these battles were held. Despite the fact that the British were in lagas for decades, they never moved beyond Ikorodu or Epe into Ogun. They would only move into the hinterland after the treaties of 1893 were signed ending the Yoruba civil war.

Second, You stated that the British whooped the Alaafin; can you tell us where and when?

I admire your patience in educating the ignorant. For anyone who's truly interested, a copy of one treaty is reproduced by [url=http://books.google.com/books?id=ECFKAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=British+yoruba+treaty&source=bl&ots=Uefzg059AN&sig=Ynz3r_PfT23HOonkMdt0DJoMqE4&hl=en#v=onepage&q=British%20yoruba%20treaty&f=false]Bishop Ajayi Crowther[/url] here:

Even more interesting is the one guaranteeing independence for Abeokuta, which remained in force until the 1914 amalgamation. It is unique in Nigerian history, as far as I'm aware.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by anonymous6(f): 1:29am On Aug 26, 2012
johnie: Are the Yoruba the number one in religious tolerance?
August 24, 2012 by Azuka Onwuka

When it comes to religion, are the Yoruba people of Nigeria the most tolerant race in the whole world? It may not be wise to say yes because of the absence of any endorsement of such a position by a global body like the United Nations. But having travelled to many parts of Nigeria and some parts of the world; having read books about several peoples of the world, I can comfortably say that I have not seen or heard of any country or people that tolerate one another on the issue of religion like the Yoruba of Nigeria.

As a child growing up in Igboland, I thought the Igbo were the most tolerant in matters of religion. For example, the only mosque in my hometown Nnewi was built right at the gate of the Diocesan Church Centre of the Anglican Church, which was the central church for Anglicans in the town when the head of the diocese was in Onitsha. The mosque was owned by the Hausa-Fulani community. Items like sugarcane, carrot and kulikuli were sold beside the mosque, and cobblers took care of people’s shoes there. I never missed the sugarcane and kulikuli any time I had cause to be at the church. Christians never bothered that Muslims (who were not sons and daughters of the community) situated their mosque by the gate of the central church of the Anglican Communion in the town.

There was no Muslim in my primary school; in my secondary school, there was a Muslim boy – a boy whose father was a policeman posted to the town. On Thursdays when we had our moral instruction classes, the chaplain of the school who was also the vice-principal, always announced that the Muslim boy was the only one exempted from participating in moral instruction classes because the school had no Islamic teacher. Other pupils must either be at the Roman Catholic section or the Protestant section. We all envied the boy for the preferential treatment he always got as the only Muslim boy in our school.

With this type of background, I grew up with the assumption that the Igbo must be the most tolerant in matters of religion in Nigeria. But there were events that made me have a rethink later in life. When I was growing up, my community had two major Christian denominations: Anglicans and Catholics. Almost all the schools in the town were founded by the two churches. Parents usually sent their children to these schools based on their Christian denominations, even after the state government took over the schools. At the close of school each day, there was usually a point where pupils of the Anglican Church-founded schools met pupils of the Catholic Church-founded school. Preachers, church teachers and parents had indoctrinated the children that only their denomination was the one endorsed by God. So at such meetings, taunting songs would be sung and a fight would ensue between Anglican and Catholic children.

But that was not all. Many young men and women could not marry one another because one was Anglican and the other was Catholic. Especially from the Catholic community, it was always an uphill task for a girl to be allowed to be married by an Anglican or a member of the Protestant Church. But one thing that was shared by all the Christian denominations was that no married woman was allowed to attend a church different from the one her husband attended. The few who insisted on continuing with the church of their birth while in their matrimonial homes either caused a deep rift in their marriage or even lost their marriage entirely.

Compare that with a typical Yoruba family. A couple with six children could have a family like this: the man is a Muslim; the wife attends the Celestial Church of Christ; the first child started as a Muslim but converted to Christianity and is now a member of a Pentecostal church; the second child is a devout Muslim; the third and fifth children are members of the Methodist or Baptist church; the fourth child attends no church or mosque but prefers the Yoruba gods whenever he has any spiritual needs; and the last child is an Anglican.

One would assume that with this seemingly cacophony of religions in this family, there would be constant religious tension, hatred, quarrels and fights in it. No. In Yorubaland, no one disturbs the other because of religion. Interestingly, during Islamic festivals, Christians join their Muslim relatives to celebrate. Also during Christian festivals, the Muslims join their relatives to celebrate. For example, the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, is a Muslim, while his wife is a Christian.

In the larger Yoruba society, the issue of religion is not a factor while considering a candidate for an elective post. For example, Bola Tinubu, a Muslim, did two terms as Lagos State governor and handed over to Fashola, a Muslim, who is doing his second tenure in office now.

Such high level of religious tolerance is not even obtainable in countries that are known for freedom and rights like the United States of America and the United Kingdom. In such countries, even though there is religious freedom, there are certain social and political positions that some people may never dream of.

This wonderful trait of the Yoruba needs to be publicised. If such a trait were from an American community, several documentaries, films and books would have been produced based on it. If the Federal Government would not publicise such, it behoves the Yoruba nation to sponsor the production of such materials.

In addition, the Yoruba nation should embark on a religious-tolerance campaign across the federation and even the world. That will offer them the opportunity through which they will teach other races how they have mastered the art of religious tolerance. There is no denying that religion is a major threat to world peace today. Nigeria is getting its share of violence. Therefore, any effort that will help to reduce the threat will be a welcome development.

•Onwuka, a brand management strategist in Lagos, wrote in via azonwuka@yahoo.com

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/are-the-yoruba-the-number-one-in-religious-tolerance/

I agree, you don't see Muslim Yoruba's and Christian Yoruba's fighting with each other, most marry amongst each other and most have both religions in their family tree any way.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by cantell(m): 1:33am On Aug 26, 2012
anonymous6:

I agree, you don't see Muslim Yoruba's and Christian Yoruba's fighting with each other, most marry amongst each other and most have both religions in their family tree any way.
So you quoted the op only to post these tired lines?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 26, 2012
cantell:
So you quoted the op only to post these tired lines?
LMAO!! grin grin grin
Her lines are not tired jo...
but anonymous d quote too long naa
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by dayokanu(m): 2:01am On Aug 26, 2012
sconsults: Most nigerian people are tolerant of other religions as far as they speak the same languages.the problem arises when you are of differnt tribe and religion.

Ask ppl in Kaduna and Jos who speak same language
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Biola4u(m): 2:35am On Aug 26, 2012
yam:

if your fada owns the tread u can close it.

we are all talking as if we choose our tribe or religion before we were born.
You didn't choose your tribe or the family you are born into but you chose who you are !!!
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ishmael(m): 8:33am On Aug 26, 2012
dayokanu:

Ask ppl in Kaduna and Jos who speak same language
All over the north even up to Lokoja area people speak hausa language but that doesn't mean all of them are hausas. Most of the middle belt tribes in plateau and part of kaduna have different ethnic groups & tribes with culture similar to each other but far dissimilar from the hausa language and culture, hence the intolerance. The hausa domination of northern nigeria by Danfodio and later Sardauna is the reason why most part of northern nigeria speak hausa language, and like i said before the cultures of the northern minority tribes are far different from that of the hausa-fulanis. Therefore the yorubas being tolerant in religion may not be as a result of speaking the same language but may be because they have an almost homogeneous culture all over the south west.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ishmael(m): 8:42am On Aug 26, 2012
Why is it that most of the cases of marriages showing religious tolerance are one sided? I mean why is it mostly a moslem father and xtain mother? Why is it rare to see a family with a christain father and a moslem mother? Does this show any religious tolerance, if i may ask?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by basher(m): 9:38am On Aug 26, 2012
Eko Ile:

Again, this is about religious tolerance, not about your stupid preoccupation and desire to troll as usual.

Leave thread if you don't have anything better to contribute, its not by force to troll.

If you were so obsessed with keeping this discussion within the boundaries of religious tolerance, then you should have corrected "Alhaji Pastor" (and some other posters) when he transgressed. But you didn't, so you argument and supposed "witty" response is ineffective. Your open bias waters down any points you think you are making.

I responded directly to what other posters (who were not corrected) put up. My post therefore wasn’t off-topic, inflammatory or aimed at provoking an emotional response. Consequently, you can’t describe my actions as trolling!!
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by tintingz(m): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2012
samkoro:
That's the mistake both Christians and moslems make.The Jehovah of the bible is not the same as the Allah of God.Although in housa,malay and indonesian languages,Allah has come to be generic term used to refer to God.Spiritualy,Allah of Koran is not the same as God.Let's go to the koran

Allah did not rebuke prophet mohamed in coveting Zaynab the wife of his adopted son Zaid Ibn after seeing her naked.Mohamed found a way to justify his actions

King David of Isreal fell into an almost similar situation.He never justified his actions and Jehovah never condoned it.

The revelation of Allah gives approval to a kind of prostitution called MUT'AH.surah 5:87

Jehovah never condones adultery and fornication in any manner or under any guise

Allah will never be seen by moslems after death

Jehovah ; bible says blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God

Allah supports wife beating in Surah 4:34

Jehovah never supports that at all eph 5:25-33,coll 3:19 and more

Allah intensionaly misleads to hell Surahs 16:93,13:27b, 25:8-9,42:44.etc Surah 4:88c says no one should lead a person who has been lead astray by Allah to the way of salvation

Jehovah never misleads,he gave man option of free will

Allah willed the black race to hellfire .Mishkat vol-iii,page 117

Allah --all true moslems will go to hell first before salvation,and not all will even make it to salvation except those that died while fighting jihad
Jehovah-promised direct entry to heaven to those who believe and live jesus christ.Because jesus has made the sacrifice with his costly blood.No more condemnation from the sins of Adam.

Allah compels his followers to hate jews and christian.Then if Allah is the same as Jehovah will compel people to hate and fight people that follow the lifestyle of christ?

I see your hatred in Islam and your tribalism act...well thats what igbos are HATRED to others...am a yoruba muslim my mother is born an anglican christian her father is a leader in the church but she converted to Islam due to the love she felt for Islam and married my muslim father, she went for her hajj but still her christian family sometime invite us for chrismas party my dadd a muslim will himself drive us to the christmas party and when it comes to muslim sallah they do same but no one of my brothers and sisters is a christian but muslims(see the beauty of yoruba)...i wont bother quoting jehova terror in the bible but ONE VERSE is enough to spoil jehova... why did jehova sent a lying spirit to ALL HIS PROPHETS in the bible including Jesus of the bible "1 kings 22:22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And
he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying
spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.
And he
said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also:
go forth, and do so."
This shows that jehova has mislead so many including ALL HIS PROPHETS IN THE BIBLE...i fear if the holyghost is a not the said lying spirit jehova sent?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EmmyDe25(m): 6:55pm On Aug 26, 2012
peckhamboi: God bless the Yoruba Nation

We are too sane for this contraption called Nigeria

The way real Human beings should live together.

the only tribe where you can find people of 3 diff religion in the same family.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by kettykin: 8:40pm On Aug 26, 2012
I sincerely hope the type of Religous Tolerancein youba land is not the type that was in some Northern states before , during and after the civil war when the middle belters were in a state of dream Utopia when Gowon was in power and Gowon even told the world that Nigeria's Problem was not money but how to spend it meanwhile the Core northern folks were busy consolidating their hold all over the north only for them to give Gowon the boot by 1975.

Bring it to Lagos, i just noticed most of Lagos State Governors and Gubernatorial Candidates are muslims and Tinubu has taken it farther with his ACN winning all the states for muslims, While the Yoruba pastors are busy struggling to be VEEPEE under a Jihadist Buhari even asking , preaching and praying that Jonathan should Resign.

The only Christian Gubernatorial Candidate Funsho Williams was murdered by unknow persons also Bola ige another Christian Titan was murdered too as a minister, Apart from Mimiko the iroko is there really any Christian Governor in the south West possibily Ekiti state looks christian.

Well lets fold our hands and see how Far Lukewarmness can take the yorubas
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2012
You need to know about the political events that led to the death of these great men,we don't have religious assassins here. Igbo people can call themselves tolerant.......but I won't. Not until you allow a lady from your family to marry a muslim guy or a guy from your family to marry a Muslim lady without attempting to change her or coerce her through propaganda to go to church. The kind of religious tolerance in the South West is divine. Its a peace example for the world to follow. Pls.....these needs no contest. The North especially or East can debate this. If God had wanted,He will make us all of one religion and He may not even allow any religion to exist. Pls let's be reasonable when it comes to religious matter,do you religion without disturbing or saying foul things about others,afterall you have never been to heaven. May God forgive us all. God Knows best.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by asha80(m): 9:22pm On Aug 26, 2012
kettykin: I sincerely hope the type of Religous Tolerancein youba land is not the type that was in some Northern states before , during and after the civil war when the middle belters were in a state of dream Utopia when Gowon was in power and Gowon even told the world that Nigeria's Problem was not money but how to spend it meanwhile the Core northern folks were busy consolidating their hold all over the north only for them to give Gowon the boot by 1975.

Bring it to Lagos, i just noticed most of Lagos State Governors and Gubernatorial Candidates are muslims and Tinubu has taken it farther with his ACN winning all the states for muslims,
While the Yoruba pastors are busy struggling to be VEEPEE under a Jihadist Buhari even asking , preaching and praying that Jonathan should Resign.

The only Christian Gubernatorial Candidate Funsho Williams was murdered by unknow persons also Bola ige another Christian Titan was murdered too as a minister, Apart from Mimiko the iroko is there really any Christian Governor in the south West possibily Ekiti state looks christian.

the bolded reminds me of what i read sometime ago below

Sunday August 26, 2012
Home
Lagos State governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda –1

By Dele Sobowale
“There is no inequality which those favoured don’t consider that it is based on merit”.

Anonymous equal rights activist.

The Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, should start now thinking of a Christian successor to Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN, a Muslim, by religion, for 2015. Otherwise Christians should spend the next three and a half years, before the April 2015 elections, searching for another political party in which they will no longer be treated as second class members.

The conclusion, which also represents the battle line, if it comes to that, has been stated up-front before the overwhelming evidence for this demand for a fair deal for Christians in Lagos state is presented in order to avoid any misunderstanding on the issue.

The “Progressives” in Lagos state have for too long discriminated against Christians in selections for public office despite the fact that Lagos is at least 50% Christian. The time for redress has come. Not only because it is just but because many Christians have now come to realize that their votes have been taken for granted for too long from Action Group, AG, through Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN, to Social Democratic Party, SDP, Alliance for Democracy, AD, and now, Action Party of Nigeria, ACN the progressives have not once fielded a Christian for the post of governor.

Only the military and the “conservatives” have demonstrated the sense of fairness which the “Progressives” obviously lack to field Christians. By contrast, under “Progressives” the powerless post of Deputy Governor has been reserved for us – second class citizens – and in the last twelve years, it has been made clear to us that the occupant of the post is at best an irritant to the governor or at worst regarded as an enemy in the camp.

With the exception of Rafiu Jafojo, a Muslim Deputy Governor serving under Jakande, a Muslim Governor, no Christian Deputy had been allowed to serve a second term with the governor – for reasons best known to our “masters” in the “Progressive” parties named above.

That is an incontrovertible fact which none can deny. And let nobody be foolish enough to write to me and state that the party chose the best candidate each and every time. That will only infuriate Christians more and will be fully answered in the strongest language possible.

However, before proceeding let me clear some points which boot-lickers will want to raise. First, I have no political ambition; at least not yet. Second, nobody should attempt to read into this write-up an anti-Muslim declaration because that will be false. Like most Lagosians, on both sides of my family, there are Muslims and Christians – almost equally divided. I am also the grandson of an Alhaji and an Alhaja.

Third, the matter of discrimination against Christians, not only in the selection of candidates for governor but other elective posts, as well as appointments, in Lagos State, was first brought to my notice in January of this year by a group wanting to make an issue out of it before the April elections and asking me to join the struggle. I resisted for two reasons.

One, I thought the timing was inappropriate because long term readers of this column would recall my campaign against PDP. To attack ACN would have amounted to aiding PDP in its quest to “capture” Lagos ; and that was unacceptable. Cutting several noses to spite somebody’s face is not my style.

Two, Governor Fashola had done such a good, not yet great, job in Lagos, I strongly believe he deserved a second term to finish most of what he started – granted every governor, even if he serves ten terms, will still leave behind several unfinished tasks and projects.

So, I resisted the temptation to fight one of the greatest injustices in our country today in January 2011. Now I can wait no longer for reasons best known to some of the leaders of the ACN. I wont say more than that.

One final point before I present the case. This is not a partisan matter; in 2015, any party which fails to give Christians a fair deal, not only in the selection of governorship candidate, but other offices as well, will face a massive block vote against it. That is not a threat; it is a promise which Christians have three and a half years to deliver. Enough, simply, is enough…

http://mobileafrik.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7788:lagos-state-governorship-2015-christian-agenda-1&catid=10:nigerian-news
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by asha80(m): 9:32pm On Aug 26, 2012
the continuation

Sunday August 26, 2012
Home
Lagos State governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda –2

By Dele Sobowale
“0803-347-4820

An elderly and wise man like you should not incite people in matter of religion in Lagos. Do not create crisis in Lagos. We Lagosians are peace loving people.

“We love peace as we abhor pusillanimity; but, not peace at any price”.

Douglas Jerrold, 1803- 1857 Australian writer.

(VANGUARD BOOK OF QUOTATIONS p 184.

I would have been a fool not to expect the sort of text quoted above. Like most shallow thinkers who want to defend discrimination by a group against another group, he hinges his argument on peace instead of justice because he is, of course, not a Christian. So he does not know where the shoe pinches. He is also not well educated on the struggles which brought Obama to the White House in the United States today. I was a part of that epic struggle, so I want to educate our “peace lover” in order to dispense with people like him who want to distract our attention from the demand for fairness by Christians.

Before that, however, let me quickly answer another query which might be leveled against me: why have you not tried to seek audience with the leaders of the “Progressive” movement in Lagos? The answer is: I have tried without success. And I have proof.

Now let us return to the education of the sender of the text message. When, after over two hundred years of discrimination against Black Americans, the late Dr Reverend Martin Luther King, Jnr, 1929-1968, in response to the cries of the black people started the Civil Rights movement, his white co-Baptist Pastors, “men of God”, were the first to denounce him for wanting to disturb the peace of the Southern States. With one of the greatest pamphlets ever penned by any man, titled WHY WE CAN’T WAIT, the great black American launched and led the struggle which ultimately resulted in an Obama President today. Our latter-day “peace lover”, if he was in America would have carpeted Reverend King for disturbing the peace of “peace loving” Americans, instead of praising him for fighting for equal opportunity. I know he is a Muslim; his attitude is not different from that of white racists in America who would have wanted King to keep quiet.

At any rate, he is too hasty in his response. Discrimination against Christians by so called Progressives is not the only topic on the agenda between now and 2015. Discrimination against women is also on the cards; so is the lack of reciprocity between Lagos State and the other Yoruba speaking states in the appointment of Commissioners and other top posts. No Lagos State indigene has ever been appointed Commissioner in Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ekiti or Kwara since civilians took control. But, that is a fight for another day.

The evidence pointing to deliberate discrimination against Christians, within the Progressive camp is so overwhelming that only a liar will fail to acknowledge them. Let us start with the Action Group, AG. And on this history, let no carpet-bagger, atohunrinwa, whose forebears trekked to Lagos, without shoes like, young Goodluck Jonathan, attempt to tell me the story. By the grace of God, Epe Constituency was represented during the First Republic, by my eldest brother, flying the banner of the Action Group. Since then we have been in the Progressive camp; although I was never a member of any party. He and late Chief Bola Ige entered and finished at Ibadan Grammar School on the same dates; joined the AG, on the same day and remained in the Progressive movement until death. Those who were climbing kolanut trees, wherever, in the 1950s should stay out of this. Baba Awolowo himself did not discriminate on the basis of religion and the AG was well regulated to ensure that candidates for elective offices did not emerge from nowhere to claim tickets for constituencies where they were not known for years and never were the selections so overwhelmingly tilted in favour of any group…..

http://www.mobileafrik.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8120:lagos-state-governorship-2015-christian-agenda-2&catid=10:nigerian-news
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2012
kettykin: I sincerely hope the type of Religous Tolerancein youba land is not the type that was in some Northern states before , during and after the civil war when the middle belters were in a state of dream Utopia when Gowon was in power and Gowon even told the world that Nigeria's Problem was not money but how to spend it meanwhile the Core northern folks were busy consolidating their hold all over the north only for them to give Gowon the boot by 1975.

Bring it to Lagos, i just noticed most of Lagos State Governors and Gubernatorial Candidates are muslims and Tinubu has taken it farther with his ACN winning all the states for muslims, While the Yoruba pastors are busy struggling to be VEEPEE under a Jihadist Buhari even asking , preaching and praying that Jonathan should Resign.

All in the minds of shallow and ignorant people.

This is the same rotational rubbish where competent and credible people get sidelined for worthless and incompetent people that's killing Nigeria.

Unfortunately for you backward and low mentality people, Yoruba people have moved past your stone age mentality and cave man ways of doing things.

We prefer quality and ompetency over rotation and incompetency.

We don't care or give a damn about your religion, all we want is competency and good leadership and it doesn't matter who or what you worship.

Keep that backward thinking in your village...

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ishmael(m): 9:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
asha 80:

the bolded reminds me of what i read sometime ago below

The yoruba muslims are using sense on the xtains; there is nothing like religious tolerance. The xtains allow their daugthers to marry muslim men, but the muslims hardly allow their daughters to get married to christian men. Is this not wayo? They are decieving themselves. The same thing with the Lagos state governors, why must they always be muslims? This is wayo against the xtians.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by asha80(m): 9:49pm On Aug 26, 2012
ishmael: The yoruba muslims are using sense on the xtains; there is nothing like religious tolerance. The xtains allow their daugthers to marry muslim men, but the muslims hardly allow their daughters to get married to christian men. Is this not wayo? They are decieving themselves. The same thing with the Lagos state governors, why must they always be muslims? This is wayo against the xtians.

well for someone like dele sobowale whom i respect his write ups on sunday vanguard to write such maybe there is something that does not seem right to him.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2012
ishmael: The yoruba muslims are using sense on the xtains; there is nothing like religious tolerance. The xtains allow their daugthers to marry muslim men, but the muslims hardly allow their daughters to get married to christian men. Is this not wayo? They are decieving themselves. The same thing with the Lagos state governors, why must they always be muslims? This is wayo against the xtians.

Is it ok to assume that you've studied and researched Inter religion marriages in Yorubaland and you also have stats, data and figures to back up your ignorant rubbish.?

I wonder where NR get you useless jokers from....

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 9:55pm On Aug 26, 2012
There will be attempts, which will fail of course, to use religion to destabilize the SW before 2015.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 9:56pm On Aug 26, 2012

This is based on what?

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by asha80(m): 9:58pm On Aug 26, 2012
Katsumoto: There will be attempts, which will fail of course, to use religion to destabilize the SW before 2015.

like aregbesola abi grin
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ishmael(m): 10:10pm On Aug 26, 2012
Eko Ile:

Is it ok to assume that you've studied and researched Inter religion marriages in Yorubaland and you also have stats, data and figures to back up your ignorant rubbish.?

I wonder where NR get you useless jokers from....
And how many stats have u provided to prove ur own points here? No let me curse u o!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Politicians Hire Marabouts, Pastors To Pray For Buhari’s Death: Lauretta Onochie / 8 APC Governors Gag National Assembly Over Elections Sequence Bill – PDP / Nnamdi Kanu To Stay Longer In Israel, Travel Document Expires

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.