Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,424 members, 7,961,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 09:12 PM

No More Igbo Movies: Why? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / No More Igbo Movies: Why? (10767 Views)

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / Igbo movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 3:05pm On Jan 04, 2008
English language is the language of the universe and anybody who can not express themself in that language is disadvantaged. In Nigeria, Igbos speak much better English than the Yoruba, on the average. In my sec, schl. days, there was a student-imposed ban on the use of Igbo language during non Igbo language lessons. We even imposed fines of 1 kobo as penalty. I believe this was also common in many Igbo schools back then in the east. We used to refer to it as ''no vernacular''.

Talking about Nigerian movies, the fellow, TOH, has been known to be dripping with sheer envy for anything Igbo. I believe she/he regrets being born a non-Igbo. That Nollywood is tick today is due to the use of English Language to act films that have become ''must watch'' in many countries of the world. For example, in Brussels, I know a prof. of Anthropology who teaches aspects of his course with Nigerian movies. A US advertisement agency recently ranked nollywood amongst the 80 things to watch in 2008 http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3942&Itemid=0

Igbo producers and to a lesser extent Edo/Delta producers take credit for the evolution and global recognition that Nollywood has experienced. Now, many non-Nigerians (especially Africans) who watch Nollywood movies think that Nigerians are just Igbos only due to the names in these films. What has been the achievement of the Yoruba Yoruba-lagelu and moremi outdated movies produced by the Yoruba actors? Of all of them, only Olu Jacobs, his wife Joke Silva, and Omotola Ekeinde (who actually is very artificial) are worth anything outside Yoruba land. And people should really ask why Olu and Joke do not act Yoruba movies. Others are chaffs who crawl on their knees begging Igbo producers to feature them in English movies. On the other hand, Yoruba movies feature Igbos prominently because the guys are simply too good to be ignored. That is why you find Clarion Chukwura, Hanks Anuku, Benita Nzeribe and tens of other Igbo actors in several Yoruba movies. Igbo actors are amenable to training. They can learn other languages and roles faster than their Yoruba peers.

Most Yoruba actors feel very inferior when acting together with Igbo actors, who are more polished than their Yoruba counterparts. Watch an English movie featuring Jide Kosoko and say, Pete Edochie together and see the difference.

Yoruba culture is full of lies and ''fabu''. Imagine them telling us that Oduduwa fell from heaven, whereas he was a renegade slave of the Benin empire who rebelled and ran away from home to found the Ife kingdom. Thanks to the Oba of Benin for that earth-shaking exposure
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 3:25pm On Jan 04, 2008
For the first time in their lives, Igbo people are said to be marginalising the Yoruba. This was made known at the maiden edition of an event held last year where there was an attempt to unite English/Igbo home video actors (Nollywood) and the indigenous, especially Yoruba movie practitioners (Yoruwood), who had always complained of discrimination in the industry by the English/Igbo practitioners. The event was coordinated by Ambassador Segun Olusola and Dele Momodu, publisher of Ovation magazine.

Actually Yorubas are not in Nollywood officially speaking. They have their Yoruwood. Nollywood is mostlly an Igbo, and the south south thing
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2008
TOH doesn't hate igbo people, she's just brash.  She might come across as being too hypercritical, but that's because you prefer her to address the topic in a subtle tone.  She's just being original.

More Yoruba people prefer yoruba films, because their actors are able to act more naturally, since they're speaking their native language.  It lessens their consciousness of the language they're speaking, since they know they're not likely to mess up a word.  Whereas, with the English actors, very many of them force their acts, force themselves to speak the English language, which they're not very good at, and worst of all, force themselves to speak in foreign accents.  It takes them out of their comfort zone and it kills the film.

kobe, bless you this new year. I don't have time for those other imbeciles. I was the first person to reply this thread stating how I used to love indigenous Igbo movies and it sincerely IRRITATES me that they have decided to eradict those movies in favor for purely English ones in their industries. Yet you have these morons saying that I am jealous of Igbos.  Rofl  cheesy

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Nigerians MAY be book smart but when it comes to other matters, majority are sincerely RETARDED

What is wrong with these producers making BOTH English AND Igbo movies. What is wrong with that? I would personally watch the Igbo ones over the Nolly English ones anyday, infact I own some from back in the day because those ones have better plots and have more to do with Nigeria than wannabe American bullshit that is now being churned out.

How can NOT be bothered that Igbo movies arent being made anymore? If the Yoruba producers were to go down that route, you better believe I will be pissed off. But hey continue to wallow in denial that your culture is dying in the film industry and instead look for fights on the internet. Shey ti gbo? Eyin oloshi jati jati.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2008
What exactly do you have to say about NigeriaOne's post, after all he's Igbo, I'm sure had a non-Igbo said all that you monkeys would be on his back. Some of you even agreed with him sef yet you are running your mouth at me? Just watch yourself if you want your New Year to be hassle-free.

olydim, you are an idiot. Arent you the one that made a thread saying that everyone in "YorubaLand" is divorced? Then I showed you a link of Stephanie Okekere's recent divorce, you then ran away from the thread like the pansy that you are.

Please quote me and show where I "drip with envy".  I was going to curse you but knowing who I am, I assure you my words would have caught up with you by Sunday but I'm actually in a good mood today plus it's a New Year so I suggest you don't look for my trouble. Jeje just take your oloriburku self and get away from me.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 3:48pm On Jan 04, 2008
Movies are not the only way to potray a culture. The hollywood with all its violence, sex, and others cannot be said to be truly american culture. If movies were to be the only medium of expressing culture, what can be said of countries that are not known to be making movies, eg Togo and Benin Republic. Does it mean they do not have culture? Igbos potray their culture in other ways. And it should be remembered that they speak sprinkling of Igbo in their English movies. For example. they make most exclamations in Igbo language
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2008
@TOH

Who is this Yoruba thief and slowpoke who wants to curse his father and mother? Are you sure you are not possesed? You Benin slave (omo oduduwa)

What on earth makes you think those who claim to be Igbo on Nairaland are actually Igbo? Why would a true Igbo person try to affirm that he is Igbo before making his statement, if not to blackmail people?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2008
Like i said before, good mood here so im going to ignore your infantile "insults", good job editing the original post to add more incomprehensible garbage.

Btw, I believe the word is "possessed". You'd think the way you favor English over your own language, you'd be able to use/speak it correctly.

Rofl @
For example. they make most exclamations in Igbo language

That is enough for you? That's your answer to the poster's original question? Wow, that is so sad. I don't even know what to say anymore. I'm stunned.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:04pm On Jan 04, 2008
My typo (possessed)

I ask you again, are movies the only medium to express your culture? Why are you such an incurable slowpoke?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:09pm On Jan 04, 2008
Permit me to let your warped arse into a secret. The main reason for the frequent Igbo interjections (exclamations) in Nollywood movies is to tell the rest of the world watching these movies that although they are in English, these are actually Igbo films. If the movies are made entirely in Igbo (like those senseless lagelu, moremi, Iya aje, Aje Kpako Yoruwood movies) how could all my Zambian, Dutch, Ethiopian, Brazillian, German, etc etc friends have enjoyed these movies?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:19pm On Jan 04, 2008
There are probably 30-40 million Igbos worldwide. Certainly not all of these people are educated in English language, to suggest that Igbo language will become extinct soon. Those traders, uneducated or English non-educated members of the Igbo population will continue to maintain the language, while the Chimamanda Adichies will continue to show the Yoruba such as TOH how to be intelligent and play in the global arena
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2008
olydim:

Permit me to let your warped arse into a secret. The main reason for the frequent Igbo interjections (exclamations) in Nollywood movies is to tell the rest of the world watching these movies that although they are in English, these are actually Igbo films. If the movies are made entirely in Igbo (like those senseless lagelu, moremi, Iya aje, Aje Kpako Yoruwood movies) how could all my Zambian, Dutch, Ethiopian, Brazillian, German, etc etc friends have enjoyed these movies?

shocked cry You are so daft, it's disgusting. I suggest you seek professional help.

How do people watch FRENCH movies? How do people that arent from India watch Bollywood movies? How do people watch Japanese movies? City of God, a Brazilian movie that is loved by MANY was NOT in English you bloody slowpoke. Are you serious with that pathetic question? Another example of Nigerians lacking intelligence in something that doesnt require a textbook.

Please go back to your court servant job and continue peeking at those who have been divorced and leave the discussion to those who have common sense. Kai, ori e ti buru pata pata. embarassed
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:54pm On Jan 04, 2008
Watch a typical Nigerian movie (be it Yoruwood or Kanowood) that has been subtitled and see if what is being said verbally tallies with the subtitles. Nigeria movies are still evolving and they are yet to master how to summarise the subtitles and yet retain the main koko grin of the movies. That is why non-yorubas can NEVER enjoy yoruba movies, as the subtitles suck big time. And this is where Indian films are better. Again, many Chinese and Japanese movies are in English, for the pupose of export, similar to nollywood. You are so, so ignorant. Many of those ninja movies (Chinese, Japanese, Hongkong) you watch are in English. Brazil and French people are only making soap operas, not global movies in the league of Holly/bolly/nolly wood.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 5:04pm On Jan 04, 2008
Combrazor (some difficult name)

So why would films be made in Chinese and then somebody sits down wastes his time and money to change the language to english? Why not leave it in Chinese? Now you see that English in the king language that enables global play? Nobody gives a shit about any Yoruba Yoruba language. ok.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:13pm On Jan 04, 2008
olydim:

Watch a typical Nigerian movie (be it Yoruwood or Kanowood) that has been subtitled and see if what is being said verbally tallies with the subtitles. Nigeria movies are still evolving and they are yet to master how to summarise the subtitles and yet retain the main koko grin of the movies. That is why non-yorubas can NEVER enjoy yoruba movies, as the subtitles suck big time. And this is where Indian films are better. Again, many Chinese and Japanese movies are in English, for the pupose of export, similar to nollywood. You are so, so ignorant. Many of those ninja movies (Chinese, Japanese, Hongkong) you watch are in English. Brazil and French people are only making soap operas, not global movies in the league of Holly/bolly/nolly wood.

Your idiocy and ignorance knows no bounds, I'd be better off arguing with a Down Syndrome child.

Maybe in YOUR village, asian movies are dubbed. The ONLY asian movie I've ever watched that has been dubbed was The Legend Of The Drunken Master. I am quite sure I've watched more asian movies than you so if you like keep making a fool of yourself. It's amusing in a twisted way anyway.

as for Brazil & France only making soap operas, it is obvious that you know absolutely NOTHING when it comes to the world of cinema/film.

The only thing you seem good at is trying to turn discussions into a tribal war, have fun with that as you are obviously a pitiful person.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:17pm On Jan 04, 2008
combrazor:

France has one of the oldest, most established and influential film industries in the world. it's laughable to say that "they are making soap operas and not global movies on the league of Nollywood"!

Brazil too has a very developed movie industry and in the past couple of years has produced several movies that were not only global hits, but even received many prestigious awards, including the much-vaunted Oscar.

The dude is obvious an illiterate. Once he said that crap about French, Asian and Brazilian movies. I knew something was wrong. You cant argue with people like this

Wasnt Tsotsi, the South African movie done in their language? Last I checked wasnt it nominated for an Oscar? Infact I believe it won, but in Olydim's dimwitted mind, only English movies are revered.

Apparently Olydim's never heard of the "Foreign Movie" category when it comes to both the Oscars & Golden Globes.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 5:20pm On Jan 04, 2008
ThiefOfHearts:

Your idiocy and ignorance knows no bounds, I'd be better off arguing with a Down Syndrome child.

Maybe in YOUR village, asian movies are dubbed. The ONLY asian movie I've ever watched that has been dubbed was The Legend Of The Drunken Master. I am quite sure I've watched more asian movies than you so if you like keep making a fool of yourself. It's amusing in a twisted way anyway.

as for Brazil & France only making soap operas, it is obvious that you know absolutely NOTHING when it comes to the world of cinema/film.

The only thing you seem good at is trying to turn discussions into a tribal war, have fun with that as you are obviously a pitiful person.

Where did you read dubbed in my post? You are apparently a deranged fool

As for french movies, I am only trying to remind you that except they are made into English or subtitled, it is not interesting to a non-french speaker. In any case, french is also a big language, unlike the Yoruba Yoruba Yoruba (and even Igbo) language movies that you are advocating. In which globe will your Yoruba movies play? In your remote village of Ogbomosho?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 5:23pm On Jan 04, 2008
TOH

Now you see how idiotic you are. The term ''foreign movies'' is not about the language used. it is about the fact that it is coming from outside of the US. You are an ignoramus, and the earlier you admit it, the better for your warped, leaky arse. You are a lost cause and I give up on you.

You olodi, Totsi was done in an admixture of Zulu Xhosa and Afrikanised English, near-similar to those Nigerian movies with Igbo exclamations. I have watched Totsi a dozen times.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:48pm On Jan 04, 2008
[quote author=olydim link=topic=103421.msg1820534#msg1820534 date=1199463634

As for french movies, I am only trying to remind you that except they are made into English or subtitled, it is not interesting to a non-french speaker. [quote][/quote]

Again, please stop talking. You havent said anything that makes any sense whatsoever in this thread. None. The only input has been "yourwood or Yoruba Yoruba", yea you are so clever and funny. Would you like a cookie? You're a clown. "har har" How cute. Is there anything else you'd like to share with us? Aburo Oloshi.

It's not interesting to a non-french speaker, really? last I checked MANY French movies are critically acclaimed around the globe. I would give you a list but seeing that you only regard them as being a country known for "soap operas", I know I'd just be wasting my time. You know nothing in this aspect as you've made so painfully obvious.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2008
combrazor:

my point was only that you are wrong in saying that MOST Chinese and Japanese movies are made in English. they are not. most of the actors can't even speak English.

personally, i don't even watch the dubbed versions of those films; i prefer to watch them in their original language.

Oh so Im not the only one who assumed he meant dubbed? Lol, olydimwitted, you would have been better off saying that YOU did mean "dub" and not that you ACTUALLY think these countries make their movies in English. Lol, are you one of those people who also think people really have sex in movies? Rofl grin

As for Foreign Film Category, since you dropped out in Primary 4, let me break my comment down for you in smaller words. What I meant is that most of the movies in those categories are in the native language of the country YET they are still nominated in Hollywood for awards MEANING that these people(the awards committee) have NO problem nominating non-English movies for their awards so your stupid logic of "well if it's not in English, people outside of that country wont be interested" doesnt make ANY sense. Kinda like all of your posts in this thread.

Do you get it now or should I get someone to translate my words to pidgin for you?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Germannig: 6:14pm On Jan 04, 2008
What is the argument about? A beg, make una leave my sweet Nollywood alone oh!
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 6:15pm On Jan 04, 2008
Thief thief, Ole girl,

So you assumed I meant dubbed? You are indeed dumber than I thought.

Plus, why has your Yoruwood movies not won an oscar award?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:26pm On Jan 04, 2008
Dude, I'm too busy laughing at the fact that you think Asian movies are orginally done in English.

Lmfao  grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Epiphany(m): 9:17pm On Jan 04, 2008
TOH and Olydim, why two of una dey fight like dis? which kind of curses are you hurling at each other, IS IT BECAUSE OF 'IGBO' AND 'YORUBA' FILMS? shocked
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:19pm On Jan 04, 2008
cursing ke? sweet lil' moi?  cheesy

Apparently a ""Yoruba" person stole his garri, that's why he's so bitter.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by willy4: 9:25pm On Jan 04, 2008
olydim:

(be it Yoruwood or Kanowood)
Yoruwood for Yoruba Tribe
Kanowood For Hausa/Fulani Tribe
Nollywood For Ibo and South South
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Epiphany(m): 9:36pm On Jan 04, 2008
ThiefOfHearts:

cursing ke? sweet little' moi? cheesy

Apparently a ""Yoruba" person stole his garri, that's why he's so bitter.

ok o, it is cos i was seeing a lot of abuses being thrown back and forth.
how do you know an Yoruba person stole his garri? maybe he is just passionate about the movie industry grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:42pm On Jan 04, 2008
Ónly people who are knowledgable of what they are arguing about are considered "passionate", he however knows nothing about the industry as you can see from the garbage he has written.

Lmao this same person thinks asian movies are done in English and the french are only known for soap operas. He's merely a clown sent to entertain me.

He's only passionate with tribalistic fury. He should be angry that the industry no longer makes movies in his language, instead he's running mouth with divorce gossip like a woman.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by toshmann(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2008
thief cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
happy new year cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

all these cursing from you ''on a day you are in a good mood'', na serious tsunami nairaland go see if you are in a bad mood grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

anyway sha, i say make i greet you cheesy i hope say i no go vex you this yr grin grin grin grin grin
how babyosisi, ya soulmate grin grin grin grin grin grin
i hear say them ban una so tey una change name grin grin grin e be like the banorable seun has unbanned you guys grin grin grin
anyway, happy new yr. take am easy for this yr. . . sogbo wink
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2008
Lmao toshman, you no well at all. I forgave you in 2007. tongue

you see as your brother called me "benin slave" like that would stop me or something, berra warn your brothers. He's obviously new to TOH sha. Retarded monkey.

Im still in my good mood o as this thread has sincerely made me laugh.

Happy New Year jare! I think osisi is still banned and stuck wityh nwando. I dont understand why undecided
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by toshmann(m): 10:21pm On Jan 04, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin
nairaland is sweet
grin grin grin grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Qc1(m): 2:18am On Jan 05, 2008
@ olydim.

your first post shows not only how naive you are but vividly gives you away. I initially was going to educate you but then again, I knows there are many intelligent Igbo here that will subsequently lead you to that path! However, a componetism sagacity is not a garrulous expressity but an hypological complexity, shame on you !!!

@ others

What kind of (group) people are we if we can't exchange the light of truth to each other or share a reasonable topic between us, rather than utter some kind of tribalism nonsense?!
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by faketan(m): 2:22am On Jan 05, 2008
Qc-1:

@ olydim.

your first post shows not only how naive you are but vividly gives you away. I initially was going to educate you but then again, I knows there are many intelligent Igbo here that will subsequently lead you to that path! However, a componetism sagacity is not a garrulous expressity but an hypological complexity, shame on you !!!

@ others

What kind of (group) people are we if we can't exchange the light of truth to each other or share a reasonable topic between us, rather than utter some kind of tribalism nonsense?!

Ewo, dis one no go de my michael West. Who go borrow me, Encyclopedia?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards.Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (PT2) / Jagaban Ft Selina Tested Episode 22 (the Return) / Genevieve, Funke , Mercy Johnson Nominated For AfricaMagic Viewers Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.