Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,123 members, 7,936,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 02:27 PM

Where Did The Word 'GARRI' Come From?pls - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where Did The Word 'GARRI' Come From?pls (1859 Views)

Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? / The Price Of Garri / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did The Word 'GARRI' Come From?pls by onomeasike: 10:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
since this nairaland e-garri revolution started and went virile on nairaland,I suddenly found myself paying more attention to anywhere I come across it in a text on TV,newspapers,adverts etc.No thanks to these garri-bingos on nairaland,I suddenly found out that I do not even know the etymology of the word 'GARRI'.I have asked a couple of friends they said it is a Yoruba word but they could not tell me what it means or words from which it is abbrevated,my igbo friends say they call it by the same name too but could not give me the meaning in ibo.Now the baffling part is that the word 'garri' has actually gone international even though it is not traded on the global commodities market,I learnt it is also called garri in Ghana! shocked shocked shocked

pls,is there any one that knows the meaning of the word garri,where was it derived,who first used the word or possibly 'invented' garri,what language does it originally come from?At least before the information is lost.It's frustating using native words you don't know the meaning!!
Re: Where Did The Word 'GARRI' Come From?pls by onomeasike: 1:30am On Sep 05, 2012
Re: Where Did The Word 'GARRI' Come From?pls by PhysicsQED(m): 1:40am On Sep 05, 2012
Re: Where Did The Word 'GARRI' Come From?pls by onomeasike: 2:16am On Sep 05, 2012
^^^thanks,at least the links answered some part of my question .Although they called it FARHINDU but method of preparation confirms it to be present-day garri,in other words,they were not the one who coined the name garri,I am glad to get that information although it can be argued that if the TABONS-Ghanianafro-brazilians probably developed this current day method and introduced it to indigenous west africans dwelling around ports where they sell their exotic goods ,couldn't one then say the same for the Popo Aguda-Nigerian afro-brazillian(of Lagos Island and Abeokuta) who incidentally lived around seaport region of Lagos and also trade merchants undecided undecided undecided.
is it then the afro-brazilians on Lagos Island that gave the name Garri?

(1) (Reply)

OMG Am Out Of Ideas. I Need Recipes For My Husband For His Work Lunch / 5 Popular Fast Food Eateries In Abuja / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.