Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,001 members, 7,936,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 08:15 AM

Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? (15268 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 13, 2012
It is wrong and it is unnecessary except you are not professional in your service delivery and wanna create and nice pal image for Boss to love you. If you are excellent in your skills and service delivery, you will be liked and appreciated by your Boss without having to fake humility and courtesy.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by tonyx4x44(m): 4:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
domack99: If your boss is carrying excess lodgage its fine to assist, but if its just his/her hand bag or suit case as the case may be i see no reason to assist him/her. It might likely going to be terrible if your boss is a Nigeria, becuase in Nigeria what you cannot continue you don't start.
period!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Oppy1: 4:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
Is nt a crime to help your boss with his/her bag. It depends on your boss if he/she is the type that do love it. Once you tried it then you will know maybe you should continue or not. But remember say naija we dey!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by hbabe(f): 4:34pm On Sep 13, 2012
If he/she has several bags and you are in a position to aid, then it is fine. If it is just a bag then let them be.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ayobase(m): 4:34pm On Sep 13, 2012
Respect is earned though!
I can say ''attempt'' to carry the bag if the BOSS is worthy of it, and plus the fact that ''he'' is as old as being ur father.
U can still surely help out if ''he/she'' is carrying additional stuffs either BOSS or NOT (Junior or Senior). Being a nice/down-to-earth individual gives one a smooth day (Not MU.MU Nice o)
I dont think Im gonna be able to help my Madam with her bag though, unless there is another!
The type of firm matters also, cos it determines the type of relationship....private or public.....small or big.....sole or partnership......
Make sure u no your job wella without being able to be waved aside or done without...that will give more respect rather than carrying bags and packs without anything up there.....
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Flakeey(f): 4:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
i dont help my boss with her bag but if she is carrying any official documents or file i do help her with those ones.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
Unfortunately, my boss is female.if he was male,I will gladly do that.my boss is always bitchy and snubbish! That's the last thing am gonna do! angry

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by jpphilips(m): 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2012
T_Bademosi: Lets say he just got down from his or her vehicle at the same time you were resuming work. Is it necessary you help with the bag & how would such an act paint you?.

I need response from matured Nairalanders. I seem to just dont know.

were you employed as an employee or a nanny? how did your mind go there? do you think he or she is expecting you to do that? anyways, when i had a boss, i do it to steal sometime to discuss urgent matters that cant wait for him to sit.

or perhaps ask for favors, or if he asks politely. on a good day, Good morning is just enough, if he needs someone to be carrying his or her lappy, then the organization should hire a butler for that.

every employee has got a job description miss yours and you are fvcked,

if your boss is a lady and you start that sh!t, you will end up adding "purchase of ALAWAYS PAD" to your job description.

Don't even think about it.

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by moyems(m): 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2012
Hello, can any one tell me how i can place my post on this website as a registered member.?? Please i need to know !!! Thanks
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by sthlm(m): 4:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
yeah it very wrong! would never do that.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by jpphilips(m): 4:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
nikkyshyne: Nothing wrong at all. Even if they will stop you, nothing wrong in making an attempt. At least pretend to respect them in every aspect. He/she is your BOSS!

that means you have not drawn the line between your village meeting and a corporate work environment.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Odinaka00(m): 4:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
Women full this thread o
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by oubi: 4:42pm On Sep 13, 2012
LesbianBoy: If there is money inside it is WRONG! But if there is no money then its not WRONG!

Ʊ must be a pick pocket!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:42pm On Sep 13, 2012
IT IS ONLY RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR BOSS'es BAG IF..

1. You didnt get the job on Merit. (Your boss helped you get the job)

2. You are an Asswipe

3. You work for your father (as in your father is your boss)

4. Your job description includes carrying your bosses bag

5. You have low self worth and esteem and have the constant need to appear nice and be liked..

6. Its a method you are using to get close enough to your boss to fhuck him/her..
angry

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Dimples316(f): 4:43pm On Sep 13, 2012
Personally, I like healthy relationships with boundaries where people do not take things for granted and begin to cross lines.

1. If I am not the boss' Personal Assistant I won't be inclined to help carry the bag.
2. If that is not part of my job description I won't be doing it.
3. There's nothing wrong with my boss, his got two hands and feet same as me let him carry his bags.
4. His driver can help him carry his bags if he so desires

The thing with such gestures is that when you do it too often or long enough people sort of expect you to keep it up and soon boundaries are crossed, whereby they begin to ask & expect other small favours like you helping them buy their lunch from Cactus, going to the bank on their behalf for personal transactions not related to company work, so on and so on.

I would only offer to help if I see that my boss is carrying too many things at once which he is struggling with, other than that I'll let him do him, while I do me. No disrespect intended
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by lovejo(m): 4:47pm On Sep 13, 2012
u can simply ask, can i help you a little sir...you then see with his body language..man to man..not man to woman.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Odinaka00(m): 4:47pm On Sep 13, 2012
moyems: Hello, can any one tell me how i can place my post on this website as a registered member.?? Please i need to know !!! Thanks

If every starts Ť☺ post topic in here, who s gon read nd comment on em? I wil advice you Ť☺ only read nd comment on d topics you here, tabom?
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 13, 2012
Okija_juju: IT IS ONLY RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR BOSS'es BAG IF..

1. You didnt get the job on Merit.

2. You are an Asswipe

5. You have low self worth and esteem and have the constant need to appear nice and be liked..

6. Its a method you are using to get close enough to your boss to fhuck him/her..
angry
you just came back from a ban and started behaving abnormal! You well so?
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Dizzybizzy: 4:50pm On Sep 13, 2012
Wetin dis topic dey find for frontpage?
*smh* for NL
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by anitank(f): 4:50pm On Sep 13, 2012
Dimples 316: Personally, I like healthy relationships with boundaries where people do not take things for granted and begin to cross lines.

1. If I am not the boss' Personal Assistant I won't be inclined to help carry the bag.
2. If that is not part of my job description I won't be doing it.
3. There's nothing wrong with my boss, his got two hands and feet same as me let him carry his bags.
4. His driver can help him carry his bags if he so desires

The thing with such gestures is that when you do it too often or long enough people sort of expect you to keep it up and soon boundaries are crossed, whereby they begin to ask & expect other small favours like you helping them buy their lunch from Cactus, going to the bank on their behalf for personal transactions not related to company work, so on and so on.

I would only offer to help if I see that my boss is carrying too many things at once which he is struggling with, other than that I'll let him do him, while I do me. No disrespect intended
SECONDED!!!! 4285695 likes!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Novice1(m): 4:50pm On Sep 13, 2012
Okija_juju: @ TOPIC: Yes!!.. It reduces you to the level of a Biitch..

You should be appraised by your performance on the Job, not by how much of a butt kisser you are..

The only time you are allowed to give your boss a hand with anything not work related is only when he/she has too much on her hands that you offered to help.. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.. You are co-workers, not master and slave..

If you act like a biitch in front of your boss because you want to appear humble and nice, dont get angry when your boss treats you like one.angry

Yes, that works in the private sector. But in government, you cant afford not to be in good terms with your boss. AND EVEN IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR, ESPECIALLY ONE MAN OR FAMILY BUSINESSES, you have to play a** kisser or you have no career
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by gabriel212: 4:50pm On Sep 13, 2012
Helping your boss is in two ways let me share mine with you.
My Engineering director is a Dutch. Some times, he decline when I decide to help him with his bag (at that period he could read that am busy with my work) and some other time he willingly give the bag to me to help him towards his car (at that time am less busy).
But, if your boss is a lady/ Nigerian, please read his/her reaction to issues like this so as to know what to do.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 13, 2012
What da heck for? He/she is your boss not your master.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 13, 2012
Okija_juju: IT IS ONLY RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR BOSS'es BAG IF..

1. You didnt get the job on Merit.

2. You are an Asswipe

angry

This guy is a clown grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Odinaka00(m): 4:54pm On Sep 13, 2012
lovejo: u can simply ask, can i help you a little sir...you then see with his body language..man to man..not man to woman.

He/she wud definitely say NO if d bag contains money lol, so no need Ť☺ ask
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ayobase(m): 4:54pm On Sep 13, 2012
Odinaka00:

If every starts Ť☺ post topic in here, who s gon read nd comment on em? I wil advice you Ť☺ only read nd comment on d topics you here, tabom?

Be nice...who knows what he is coming up with!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by dayokanu(m): 5:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
The only time I would offer to help is if my boss is struggling and almost falling over the luggae as I would do for anyone who is elderly and struggling even in Walmart

But How would it look for a guy wearing suit to work be seen carrying a Michael Kors bag belonging to the boss in the name of asskissing

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by PupetMasta(m): 5:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
My policy is that your luggage/non official business is not my business. Even if you are President/CEO of the Organization, if we meet by the entrance to the building, I will just greet you and go my way. The top boss of the organization in Nigeria (a white woman) actually complained and told another officer that I don't offer to help carry her luggage, it took a high will power not to tell her my mind. My supervisor who is an Indian also noticed it but never said anything, he only took it out on his relationship with me.

Left to me everybody should mind his/her business. Do your job and go home, but unfortunately in Nigeria much is expected from a subordinate, especially those out of your job description.

I don't even like having happy hours with work colleagues.

To answer your question, don't do it, if you are going to help make sure you are helping someone that will appreciate it and not someone that will see it as a means to look down on you.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 13, 2012
As someone has already said, if the person is carrying excess, it is polite to say "please allow me to help you carry that". However if it is only one bag, that is not necessary.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by scribble: 5:07pm On Sep 13, 2012
so many people have bosses on nairaland.

arent you guys (employees) supposed to be busy at work or something?

are u getting paid to be on nairaland like seun osewa or something?

na real wa!!! undecided
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by vislabraye(m): 5:08pm On Sep 13, 2012
Carrying a womans hand bag is very personal. If a man carries, it looks like invasion of privacy. The man would appear as a woman rapper.
He could help her in other things not bag.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) / Breaking: Lagos State Government Approves Consultancy Cadre For Pharmacists / What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.