Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,001 members, 7,936,212 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 08:11 AM

Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? (15267 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ujukala: 5:11pm On Sep 13, 2012
It depends on what you have in mind. It could be good or bad.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Philolos: 5:13pm On Sep 13, 2012
This is obviously a cultural etiquette issue. If you try that with a western boss, he/she would wonder if you were trying to steal from them or wonder what came over you. But since this is cultural, especially a Yoruba one, it may be expected by a cultural Yoruba boss – meaning your boss grew up and was educated in the system. If your boss is from diasporas (especially Yoruba), you may see him or her behave in a similar way (expecting the treatment of someone lower in ranking in the organization taking their bag, etc), trying to assimilate (or told to do so to assimilate) into the culture. Unless this cultural etiquette of patronizing bosses in this manner (helping with bags on their arrival at the office) has filtered through most Nigerian cultures.

Nevertheless, don’t interpret this to mean that there is no boss-subordinate respect in the west, there is but not the type you described in your post. In the west, the respect is placed on how you communicate with those above you within an organization. The culture doesn’t expect subordinates to help with chores around the office or outside work for that matter.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 13, 2012
It is silly eye service. It is only right if you would also help the elderly office cleaner carry :er bag also if she is coming in at the same time with you. If you can't help the cleaner in the name of respect then helping your boss is eye service done for selfish benefits

6 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by LeCoq: 5:15pm On Sep 13, 2012
if your boss is an A R S E, then its a YES.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 13, 2012
As a matter of fact, the only time I helped ma boss in doing this was when she felt sick(on Tuesday)that she had to go home before the COB. I simply helped her carry her hand bag (plus another bag where she kept her shoes) from the office to the car park. I did that just because I felt she needed help at that point in time. Buh ordinarily I wouldn't do it cos it's not necessary.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Bawss1(m): 5:19pm On Sep 13, 2012
scribble: so many people have bosses on nairaland.

arent you guys (employees) supposed to be busy at work or something?

are u getting paid to be on nairaland like seun osewa or something?

na real wa!!! undecided

Spoken like a boss. cheesy
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Philolos: 5:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
T_Bademosi, even though I said in my earlier post that this is a cultural issue and it is, you have to understand culture in general and the company culture for that matter to survive or move up at any job you are in. If that is what is expected in that job culture, you simply have to brush your ego aside and get on with it. Especially if other benefits you get in your job outweigh helping oga out once in a while. However, if this seems to be an issue for you and the oga is not leaving the company anytime soon, perhaps you need to start looking for another job. But guess what, if this is cultural as we know it is, you may need to skip to another culture, the west…
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
There is absolutely nothing wrong is showing a little degree of respect to your superior or boss by helping in carrying his/her bag.

In medical profession, especially teaching hospital which I'm familiar with, you are expected to be found worthy in character and in learning. Helping your boss with his/her bag is seen as being worthy in character. This is seen commonly among the resident doctors .

Though, I see it as an eye-service/ophtha but we just have to do it for us to pass our professional exams.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by LAX89(m): 5:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
Assuming you and 1 of your co-workers are equally competent in your assigned job. But your co-worker constantly helps your boss with his/her briefcase or bags or other menial chores. Which one of you do you think will get a promotion or pay raise faster? If the company decides to downsize, which one of you do you think will be axed?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by tope33(m): 5:36pm On Sep 13, 2012
it's wrong because helping your boss carry their bag is not professional.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 13, 2012
kunletiwoo: As a matter of fact, the only time I helped ma boss in doing this was when she felt sick(on Tuesday)that she had to go home before the COB. I simply helped her carry her hand bag (plus another bag where she kept her shoes) from the office to the car park. I did that just because I felt she needed help at that point in time. Buh ordinarily I wouldn't do it cos it's not necessary.
awww! That's sweet of you! 20likes for you jare.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 13, 2012
berem: awww! That's sweet of you! 20likes for you jare.
smiley
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by nodullin(m): 5:46pm On Sep 13, 2012
Carry it.. If its part of your Job description««

If not.. Only when he/she has got excess luggage
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by kokoye(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2012
casket: There is absolutely nothing wrong is showing a little degree of respect to your superior or boss by helping in carrying his/her bag... we just have to do it for us to pass our professional exams.

Really..you have to carry oga's bag to pass exam ...professional exam for that matter

Na wah o.

Abi na your username dey control you?

what will I not see on this Nairaland sef??
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Philolos: 6:12pm On Sep 13, 2012
kokoye:

Really..you have to carry oga's bag to pass exam ...professional exam for that matter

Na wah o.

My man/woman, you have to do what you have to do to survive and graduating as a doc. Obviously within reasonable means. This type of gesture is a cultural norm within the society it seems. The Japanese have their own and so do the brits and Americans. In Britain, you sure would move up or get what you want if you are part of the lads and you join them on going to the pub every now and then. If you don't, well you'll see where you end up. You'll only have yourself to blame.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by scribble: 6:13pm On Sep 13, 2012
Billyonaire: It is wrong and it is unnecessary except you are not professional in your service delivery and wanna create and nice pal image for Boss to love you. If you are excellent in your skills and service delivery, you will be liked and appreciated by your Boss without having to fake humility and courtesy.

some peole dont fake humility or courtesy, it comes natural to them. although lets be honest, it is naive. better to have a divide and conquer psyche
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ronnyfam(f): 6:15pm On Sep 13, 2012
dayokanu: The only time I would offer to help is if my boss is struggling and almost falling over the luggae as I would do for anyone who is elderly and struggling even in Walmart

But How would it look for a guy wearing suit to work be seen carrying a Michael Kors bag belonging to the boss in the name of asskissing

Micheal Kors is cheap
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Agimor(m): 6:16pm On Sep 13, 2012
T_Bademosi: Lets say he just got down from his or her vehicle at the same time you were resuming work. Is it necessary you help with the bag & how would such an act paint you?.

I need response from matured Nairalanders. I seem to just dont know.
No the question should be is it right to help carry your dad or your mums bag.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Shakara123(m): 6:16pm On Sep 13, 2012
In a professional environment, it is so not necessary. If you know you are doing your job well and professionally, you need not help your boss with his or her bag to let him or her know you are nice or relevant.
However, in less professional settings, especially in a one man business, your boss might even expect you do it.
So, for me, 4 years ago, I would have done it, but now, sorry boss I have mine to carry. Lol.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by stillme(m): 6:18pm On Sep 13, 2012
If your boss is a pregnant woman no biggy.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by scribble: 6:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
ronnyfam:

Micheal Kors is cheap

remember we are talking about employees here. maybe of the banking sector variety.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by kunxle: 6:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
well i think in a corporate environment it is wrong to assist in carrying your bosses bag, be it male or female boss. However in an African setting or environ where the company is not a world class company an with international standard and policies, i mean if it is a local organisation you can attempt that if the boss would allow it.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Fhemmmy: 6:21pm On Sep 13, 2012
Why would i wanna help my boss carry her bag? She could have left the bag at home if too big for her to carry.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ronnyfam(f): 6:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
Its not bad , but if your boss is struggling with so many things you can help but if it's just only bag you don't need to ,except its high end bag, not copy etc(Hermes, Louise Vuitton ,channel ,mui mui, Dior,Anaya hidmachetc) then I will be gladly help to carry the bag and acknowledge the bag grin grin grin grin grin[color=#990000][b][/b][/color]
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ronnyfam(f): 6:28pm On Sep 13, 2012
scribble:

remember we are talking about employees here. maybe of the banking sector variety.

Who says its only bankers that carry good bag? Go to private companies,different government parastatals you will be shock not fake o, I mean original, you can smell original bag from afar.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by pappilo(m): 6:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
I remember my boss at the bank in Nigeria lambasting me for daring not to greet him when he came in. In England, when my oga enter na so I go just dey look am. If e greet me when I dey bad mood, I go just ignore am. I dey enter lift with MD, blank am. If e wan look me funny, I go givevam screw face join. I love England!

Dont try this in Naija o! U no go last. U must carry bag, buy lunch e.t.c My branch manager even had his own personal toilet.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Sep 13, 2012
ronnyfam: Its not bad , but if your boss is struggling with so many things you can help but if it's just only bag you don't need to ,except its high end bag, not copy etc(Hermes, Louise Vuitton ,channel ,mui mui, Dior,Anaya hidmachetc) then I will be gladly help to carry the bag and acknowledge the bag grin grin grin grin grin[color=#990000][/color]

[b]True that . . .

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
T_Bademosi: Lets say he just got down from his or her vehicle at the same time you were resuming work. Is it necessary you help with the bag & how would such an act paint you?.

I need response from matured Nairalanders. I seem to just dont know.
shows how much of a kissazz you are if you do such and deep down inside the person will never respect you again. you have put yourself under the label 'subservient servant'
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 13, 2012
kokoye:

Na wah o.

What is my nairaland moniker got to do with what I wrote up there ?
You obviously need help !
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Moyola(f): 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2012
...as d spirit directz tongue
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Philolos: 6:38pm On Sep 13, 2012
It's unfortunate that only business schools or business programs that teach culture and norms as part of an organisational culture class. Otherwise, we wouldn’t even have this post. A lot of things we see in companies/organisations after leaving our sheltered homes, universities, etc, astound some of us because we haven’t been forewarned or told that it may come up. I had to learn the hard way too. Most professional jobs (not blue colar), white colar jobs, you are contracted to perform for 8-9 hours, 5 days a week. But don’t be reminded that it depends on the culture of the organization you find yourself in. If majority are putting in 12-hour days and you are trying to argue that your contract says 8 hours, you know you wouldn’t last long, period. Now which is worse, to slave for 2-3 or more hours a day for the life of that employment or to help my boss out with his/her bag every once in a while, I know what my choice would be. Simple. The choice that allows me more time with my family, of course.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by amobii: 6:44pm On Sep 13, 2012
I think we need to change orientation, your boss is not your God two of you are employed ny company, if its a big bag and you discovered he/she struggle you can offer help but if its just brfcase/handbag you do not need to. Some bosses look down on tgeir surbodinates if you just they will say u lack respect, I think its naija setting and if your collegues sees you they might conclude u r looking for favour or ogas pet. But in all I dont think its right, what if you older than your boss.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) / Breaking: Lagos State Government Approves Consultancy Cadre For Pharmacists / What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.