Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,984 members, 7,936,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 06:52 AM

Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? (15266 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by klexy04: 6:45pm On Sep 13, 2012
I think helping out carrying luggages rather than handbags for ladies isnt a bad idea. You are just showing a sign of little morals.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by ayobambi: 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2012
In my own opinion, you can choose to help your boss with his/her bag depending on which angle you look at it. it is optional.

If your boss is old enough to be your elder brother/sister or uncle/aunt and as an African, you decide to help with his/her bag and he/she agrees to it (as some boss will not allow such), then fine (go ahead).

The only exception here is if you have a female boss, it is not right for a man to help the female boss with her hand bag, as it's un-ethical. The hand bag is part of their (female) dressing.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by blessedghost(m): 7:04pm On Sep 13, 2012
well its not bad, i mean there is nitthing wrong with helping out; and another thing is your intension of helping, is it just helping or helping as in eye service? for me it all depends the helper, for the helpee! there is notthing wrong at all
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 13, 2012
scribble:

some peole dont fake humility or courtesy, it comes natural to them. although lets be honest, it is naive. better to have a divide and conquer psyche
Will you agree with me if I say most times humility equals stupidity ?
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by blessedghost(m): 7:14pm On Sep 13, 2012
klexy!!!!!!!!!! it does not matter if it lodgages or handbags, it depends on the relationship you and your boss
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by blessedghost(m): 7:17pm On Sep 13, 2012
scribble!!!!! you are right humility is equal to stupidity
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Brunel(m): 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
Personal experience. On monday, my boss came back from her annual leave, from monday to wednesday, she always came in wit a big bag, i helped her with it those days, however, today she walked in with her handbag, i was kinda confused on what step to take but i just stil went ahead and offered to help her again ( afterall i've been doing it earlier ) but she politely turned me down saying, 'hey Bleep, itz only my handbag, thank u'..........hope dis helps, so help if d load is much
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by DisGuy: 7:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
Brunel: Personal experience. On monday, my boss came back from her annual leave, from monday to wednesday, she always came in wit a big bag, i helped her with it those days, however, today she walked in with her handbag, i was kinda confused on what step to take but i just stil went ahead and offered to help her again ( afterall i've been doing it earlier ) but she politely turned me down saying, 'hey Bleep, itz only my handbag, thank u'..........hope dis helps, so help if d load is much

lol @ you being confused, and knowing the days your oga carry big bag

if the load is too much she wont be carrying it monday-wednesday
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by debonair99: 7:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
Even if you don't have any ulterior motive behind your gesture,mere doing it they will label you as "eye-service"
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Chudymario: 7:30pm On Sep 13, 2012
Really, the choice may be relative. While a friendly/social dude may 'fall in love' with the idea, a cute decent principled fellow may completely rebuff it. Not for pride,but to further garnish his/her personal 'corperate dignity'.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Darksea: 7:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
Don't carry bags or boxes for ur boss, it's not part of the official duty you have been employed for.
If ur boss is too sick to carry their bags, they should apply for sick leave.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Rossikk(m): 7:45pm On Sep 13, 2012
emilyone: i dont think there is anything wrong with it, especially if the boss is older than you, just do it as a show of respect.

i do help my boss with his bags, but not all the time, it all depends on my mood wink

Bootlicker.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by kokoye(m): 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
casket:
What is my nairaland moniker got to do with what I wrote up there ?
You obviously need help !

Monica ke..kilose monica?

kilagbekeleju

grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 13, 2012
kokoye:

Monica ke..kilose monica?

kilagbekeleju

grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin Oti da mu sere.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by suremutsy: 9:47pm On Sep 13, 2012
As u lay Ɣ☺ΰЯ̲̅ bed so as u lie on Ȋ̝̊̅̄​t, knw gud deed go witout nt yieldin gud vice vers, do Ɣ☺ΰЯ̲̅ best and leave d rest..
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by komek(m): 9:59pm On Sep 13, 2012
I happend to notice that this issue is rampant in the western part of this country. This they take as respect but I later found out its EYE service..

In my office, old men do carry one small girls bag in the name of a BOSS. The day she tried it with me, she really saw the arrogant side of me.

I don't know why Yoruba pple leave their life like this sef.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Wallie(m): 10:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
I will only help if I see him or any of my other colleagues struggling and I will only do that after asking if he needs help. On the other hand, I always hold the door open if someone is coming behind me.

In the US, we live in a different society that has a more nuanced meaning to the word "respect". To me, respect for my boss means not yelling at him when we disagree or cutting him off when our discussion gets heated but almost everything else goes! :-) Although, I tend not to use extreme words like "you're wrong" instead I would say "you're probably not right", "your argument is plausible but..", "here's another explanation", "you might want to look over that again", "are you sure because...", "let me take another look at that..." The key is always to find a polite way of saying "you might want to keep your mouth shut before you further embarrass yourself." That's my definition of respect.

To answer the question, it is wrong to help your boss with his bag if he's not crumbling under the weight of the bag. You no be messenger!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Jyde89: 10:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
I think the question should be, is it right not to help your boss in carrying his or her bag. If he or she is your boss, then show some respect, if you want your suburdinate to carry your's one day.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by diesel86: 10:48pm On Sep 13, 2012
Not if your job is a messenger... grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by brosnan68: 10:49pm On Sep 13, 2012
Not wrong.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by DisGuy: 11:04pm On Sep 13, 2012
Jyde89: I think the question should be, is it right not to help your boss in carrying his or her bag. If he or she is your boss, then show some respect, if you want your suburdinate to carry your's one day.

why would you want someone to carry your bag one day?

are you disabled?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by NEROSKY(m): 12:25am On Sep 14, 2012
i only help my Boss when he/she is carrying ghana must go!!! grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 3:24am On Sep 14, 2012
The corporate world,and cultural world are two different entity...but most time people always make it interwoven,esppecially in Africa..assisting a boss with a bag,is seen as a form of respect,most when the boss is older.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Pennywise(m): 4:39am On Sep 14, 2012
If u are a subordinate .... and u pretend .... not to see me ..... carrying a briefcase ..... bc u were so advised .... on NL .... you are officially.... marked!

You might want to consider taking your insensitivity pride and rudeness elsewhere (just saying)
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by pafestula(m): 6:38am On Sep 14, 2012
Okija_juju: @ TOPIC: Yes!!.. It reduces you to the level of a Biitch..

You should be appraised by your performance on the Job, not by how much of a butt kisser you are..

The only time you are allowed to give your boss a hand with anything not work related is only when he/she has too much on her hands that you offered to help.. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.. You are co-workers, not master and slave..

If you act like a biitch in front of your boss because you want to appear humble and nice, dont get angry when your boss treats you like one.angry
How I wish one of my st..upid office colleague is on NL to learn some tutorial here, The married man I.diota started what he cant finish, now aluta continua btw him and our female boss!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by babatty(m): 6:41am On Sep 14, 2012
it all depend on d kind of relationship between u and ur boss. A situation where my boss treat me like a son. I wil even do more dan bootlicking
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by pafestula(m): 6:43am On Sep 14, 2012
Okija_juju: @ TOPIC: Yes!!.. It reduces you to the level of a Biitch..

You should be appraised by your performance on the Job, not by how much of a butt kisser you are..

The only time you are allowed to give your boss a hand with anything not work related is only when he/she has too much on her hands that you offered to help.. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.. You are co-workers, not master and slave..

If you act like a biitch in front of your boss because you want to appear humble and nice, dont get angry when your boss treats you like one.angry
How I wish one my st..upid collegue is on NL to learn some tutorials here. The idiota married man started what he can't finish btw him and our female Boss... Now Aluta Conitua!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by hizaya61(m): 8:24am On Sep 14, 2012
your boss will be so proud of you, in africa it shows you really respect your boss but some fouls call it high service i do it a lot i help my boss to carry is bag because it doesn't mean anything and remember that one day someone will work under you and do the same

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 14, 2012
I dont try it to my superiors since i dont allow my surbodinate to carry my bag.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by beldcat(m): 8:41am On Sep 14, 2012
it depends on ur level in the organisation and culture of the organisation itself.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Reference(m): 8:53am On Sep 14, 2012
Its complex. First, the poster has not defined what the bag is. If it is personal like a woman's handbag or a man's purse (large) it would contain personal items of high value and security, phones, cash and the occasional side arm. In that case it will be unwise to do so. However if he or she is heaving a bag cement, c'mon its only human for the least thing you'd want is your boss collapsing in exhaustion. Not good for your pay check.

Secondly it depends on the history, geography, and chemistry of your office. History: If you work in a multinational, it is very unlikely this will be the pervading practice and can be viewed rather strangely. Geography: If your office is miles away or floors away from that of your boss then it may be better to get someone else (a favorable colleague or a subordinate) to do the heavy lifting for many reasons amongst; Chemistry: You may be viewed as someone who has nothing else to do and places personal, informal and trivial issues above work, promptness, efficiency and professionalism.

There are no straight answers here. Its all about the environment.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Reptyle(m): 9:24am On Sep 14, 2012
If he/she is struggling with more than one bag, its normal to offer to or accept to help if asked, especiallyif the boss isa woman. But if it is just a handbag or briefcase, especially a handbag grin abeg carry your tin urself o!!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) / Breaking: Lagos State Government Approves Consultancy Cadre For Pharmacists / What Bad Managers, Good Managers, And Great Managers Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.