Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,209 members, 7,963,970 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 12:57 AM

A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi (16106 Views)

KAI & LASTMA Officials Drive Branded Cars (pics) / Bus Almost Fell On OSHODI BRIDGE Just Now (Photos) / Photos Of The New LASTMA Cabs Set To Be Launched (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by cesil92: 7:40am On Sep 19, 2012
Nigeria jaga-jaga, PDP jaga-jaga, ACN jaga-jaga, wetin man go do? <eedris reloaded>
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by luluosas(m): 7:41am On Sep 19, 2012
From all indications, one can rightly say that LASTMA was created and armed by the government to dehumanised, terrorise, abuse and kill at will, innocent Lagosians and commuters, who termed 'traffic offenders'. Can't this deadly arm of the Lagos government be scrapped for God sake?
See the evil they also perpetuate here https://www.nairaland.com/1051733/lastma-officials-beat-bus-driver
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by FrontPageLawyer(m): 7:41am On Sep 19, 2012
earthgreeners: Poster, If ACN led government dey piss u off, abeg go weewee..
Or go ur villa.

It is evident people like you are actually living without brains.

@OP next time you don't necessarily have to encourage corruption else It will never cease to happen in Nigeria, remember both the giver and taker are guilty of a criminal offence. I’ll suggest you call your lawyer when next you find yourself in such intimidating situation, it is criminal for a LASMA/POLICE officer to jump into your car without your consent. Don't be discourage in the Nigeria Justice system, though it could sometimes be clumsy, but it works perfectly and moreover if you must be intimidated by the law, DON'T get intimidated by "agbero" who has little or no education.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Mustay(m): 7:41am On Sep 19, 2012
@naptu2 the least the guy could realistically have done was to note their names.

One has to be careful with snapping pictures as that phone could be willingly damaged to damage evidence(s). 'Discreetly' doing this would require tact and perhaps, patience which the incident would have prevented the guy from having in the 'craze-state-of-mind'.

To record the conversation, ermmm, when something is unplanned that's not the first thing one thinks of and this depends on functions of his phone and ease of access to the recording program if available.

boladez:
5. If we keep seeking knowledge and education and ensure voluntary compliance, LASTMA guys will be forced to respond positively.
While it' necessary for every driver to know and observe traffic rules and regulations, you cannot say we should know this while LASTMA officials know little. One of their functions include enlightenment but #reality is when there's no sign to indicate that the road you're about to enter is one-way and when you enquire from the LASTMA official, they WILLINGLY tell you "not at all" until you commit the offence with their 'assistance' with a view to obtaining money from you.

Their orientation has to change from witch-hunting or playing 'police and thief' to advocacy, elightenment, correction etc - this is where FRSC is better.

There are always two sides to a coin - while the disrespectful Lagos driver may disobey a traffic law, we don't need to see a boxing scene just to book them and inform them of their crime.

You and naptu2 have made valid points but bearing the peculiarity of this country, some are mere theories and even some of the practicals can be manipulated or denied (for real). If you know your right however, you'll stand by it.

1 Like

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by kofomii: 7:51am On Sep 19, 2012
WITH ALL THESE , [size=14pt]FASOLA WILL BE THE LAST ACN GOVERNOR IN LAGOS[/size]

1 Like

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by boladez(m): 7:57am On Sep 19, 2012
texazzpete:

See this dolt! Were you under a rock when the LASTMA commander was desperately trying to pin the death of one of his employees on an innocent lady? The commander INSISTED several times that the lady (who was in a parked vehicle) ran down a LASTMA employee and killed him...and then escaped to a nearby estate.

if not for eyewitnesses, this woman would still be on trial for murder!

Tell us the educational criteria that one needs to get to be in LASTMA before you start opening your mouth to spew imbecilic nonsense. If Sanitizing Lagos was their objective, they would have been airing sensitizing information on the radio and TV stations to tell people not to cross those white lines. One-way streets would be marked boldly. LASTMA officials would not be lying in ambush to trick people into breaking the law. In more developed climes, agencies like LASTMA are designed to prevent road accidents and boost public safety. In Lagos state they are a cash generation outfit.

Your problem is that you are a bush man. I do not doubt that you have some money, but that apparently has not taken the bushness out of you. If not, you would not be defending an agency whose agents would forcefully enter your vehicle without a warrant, whose agents would illegally confiscate your car keys.

Texazzpete ( I remember the superTed of those days with Nostalgia)

I have struggled to make sense out of your post laden with frustration and hate...it is well God will help you over come your pain and frustration

Yes, the commander erred big time by making a false claim because he was briefed wrongly. Are you aware that his men have been fired and will be tried because they misled him and the governor of the state and indeed the various people that had made comments based on his report? again this goes back to my initial remark about people watching movies only and not getting interested in real matters of life. I know because I got interested in the case and sent mails for which I got responses. Please read educational materials that will boost your KNOWLEDGE not vocabulary of swearwords.

O my Gosh, see news item below, The government of Lagos has put up so many road signs and depending on your eyesight or state of Mind, you may see or not see them. Please read educational and enlightenment materials! OPEN your mind to good things stop staying by the side to abuse and criticize.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96970:lagos-installs-road-signs-cautions-cyclists&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Tex, in developed climes (SIC) people see the road markings and obey and they do not need a LASTMA to run after them. They have cameras to catch offenders and track them to their homes. Does your house in tabon tabon have a street no? ..... but in Nigeria we are not ready. Again, stop watching movies that are based on fiction. Are you saying when a danfo guy beats the red light the lastma official should go and get a warrant from the court and run back to chase the guy to an unknown address in an unknown street? Vehicles registered outside lagos do not have their information in the lagos vehicle database and even the ones registered in lagos are difficult to track because we are not yet there in getting a national database. You Tex have woken up to abuse and insult and you seem so violent and you expect LASTMA to be civil. of course your cousin, bro, friend , wife , mum are the people in LASTMA not Fashola or Commisioner's children!

Are you aware that Lagos state is massively training the LASTMA guys to ensure they become more civil? see news item below? This has been ongoing if you can only stop watching action movies and watch news or read educational materials.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98987:lagos-to-re-train-7-916-lastma-neighbourhood-watch-kai-officers-&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558

The road markings are in the highway code, have you seen one before? again for the past three months the commissioner for transport has been in the news and adverts have been in the media providing enlightenment, have you not seen or heard? of course you are permanently tuned to Africa magic and action on DSTV. Please read and know better! see news item below

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=96156:new-lagos-road-traffic-law-

Now, do you need LASTMA to teach you what the road markings and signs mean? did you do a driving test at all to get your DL , no! Blame LASTMA

Do we have bad eggs in LASTMA ...yes , is government trying to clean that up...yes, have they provided the public with means of seeking redress ....yes!! If they get violent with you , report and you have a right to complain if NOTHIng happens. You will help yourself a great deal if you read news, speak with positive people and drop poverty and victim mentality. if you have enough self confidence please call the commissioner and complain or demand to see the LASTMA commander and see if you will not get justice

This na early momo I no fit talk too much . I have a busy day ahead.

Half knowledge and a wrong orientation can ruin a nation which is what I see in your type.......are you in Nigeria at all? If you like call me prick , dolt, slowpoke , bush man or mad man or anything you like at all. I will not insult you cos if a man is having his bath and a mad man takes over his towel, you can risk chasing him and being called a second mad man or stay put and call for help. I choose to remain sane and civil.

Cheers
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by naptu2: 8:02am On Sep 19, 2012
For me, this is not just a LASTMA issue. We see the same issues affecting the Nigeria Police Force, the army, the health services, etc. The bottom line is that general complaints like these do not change anything.

1) LASTMA officials might be taught all the proper means of dealing with the public that we have in this world, but when they get out on the streets they do the exact opposite.

2) It's not even a question of education (don't we have campus cults and thugs in our higher institutions?).

3) The government might even put measures in place to arrest erring officials, but they cannot be everywhere at the same time.

4) It is not even a uniquely Nigerian problem (we've seen similar cases of corruption, abuse of office, etc in other countries).

The only solution is that we must hold our public officers accountable (LASTMA officials are public officials) and ensure that erring officials are punished.

Last year, a citizen took LASTMA to court for towing his vehicle. He won the case and won compensation from LASTMA. When they see that citizens are prepared to defend their rights, name and shame erring officials, get evidence; that's when we'll begin to see change.

1 Like

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Ariyke: 8:02am On Sep 19, 2012
u can imagine the kind of live this people are living, my office happen to be near this people's office. They extort money from people in the name of helping them, the money that enters their own pocket is even more than what they generate to the government's pocket.

There are some people among those arrested that will even want to harm themselves in there presence to prove they dont av what they are demanding (mostsly old okada men) bt all they do is laugh @ them infact i cant remember how many times av witnessed such things since they moved there.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Silensa(m): 8:04am On Sep 19, 2012
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by mediainspired: 8:06am On Sep 19, 2012
LASTMA is a classic example of why d ill-motive call for state police is doomed 4rm d start! 4d wishful thinkers, IT WIL NEVA HAPPEN until Nigeria's human 'problems' like Thinubu &his likes in oda states &@d federal level (whether in power or not), dere indoctrinated disciples, dere infleunces &mud philosophies ar completely eradicated &Nigeria is reborn &d foundatn reset. Bak to d LASTMA menace, as much as dere culd be a few bad drivers, policemen etc, all of these people are SAINTS &ANGELS compared to d crass unprofessional antics of dis pry sch-uniformed touts whose only motive 4d dere misplaced aggression is money. Ppl defendin dem here ar LASTMA officials or dere family
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by ujukala: 8:22am On Sep 19, 2012
You are saying the truth we already know.
babniyen: They are not Agbero's but robbers in training.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Exponental(m): 8:36am On Sep 19, 2012
Lastma, d uniform thieves.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Exponental(m): 8:37am On Sep 19, 2012
Surviving lastma trauma
Rule no
1. Know d traffic signs n rules
2. Ensure u av ac in ur car
3. Don't roll down when asked to do so (mostly on d other side of d door)
4. Don't stop when a lastma stands infront of u. Scare him off
5. Speed off once u commit n offence before u become a victim of d hunters (just be careful, cameras are in some designated area)
6. Incase u r unlucky n a Lastma enters ur car, guard ur key.
7. Lastma is not ur friend

1 Like

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by vitality22(m): 8:42am On Sep 19, 2012
2mch: So you ran a red light and you got fined only 10k. The law says 30k in case you have forgotten. So if you killed a whole family breaking the law, what do you think your story would have been? 14yrs in kirikiri awaiting trial. You better thank your stars. You broke the law and endangered lives, yet you are complaining about somebody being and agbero? What are you OP? Sane? You seem like you need a strait jacket. O ri e ti gba paro.
Even his name alone should tell you that he is one of the LASTMA thieves. mcheeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by butpro(m): 8:47am On Sep 19, 2012
2mch: So you ran a red light and you got fined only 10k. The law says 30k in case you have forgotten. So if you killed a whole family breaking the law, what do you think your story would have been? 14yrs in kirikiri awaiting trial. You better thank your stars. You broke the law and endangered lives, yet you are complaining about somebody being and agbero? What are you OP? Sane? You seem like you need a strait jacket. O ri e ti gba paro.
. ta ni ori e ti gba paaro ninu eyin mejeji bayi? How did you manage out of school!or too much of G4 abi? Mschewwww omo Irankiran.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Bolarge1(m): 8:50am On Sep 19, 2012
faluasafe: They are meant to ensure compliance with the new Lagos state traffic laws. But the LASTMA I saw today(16-09-12) are nothing but glorified 'Agberos' robed in uniform.
Early in the morning, I wanted to quickly dash to itire from egbeda to see my not-too-strong mum.Having turned red, myself and other motorists had to wait for the traffic light to beckon on us to move.

A LASTMA official waved me to wind down the side glass which I obliged.
Every other thing that happened thereafter looked like a robbery operation.
He unlocked the car door,jumped in and started dragging the car key with me. I quickly parked the car. He snatched the car key after forcefully switching off the car.

As if they had been lurking around, his other colleagues stormed the scene saying all sort of things-we will show you this is lagos, you are a mad man. I was too dazed to even say a thing. I still donot understand my offence. They instructed me to enter the car and off we went to their oshodi office.

Different shades of vehicles are being driven in minute after minute. A look around will only show you men in uniform smoking,displaying all sort of rascality. I needed to keep quiet n started begging them. Meanwhile, various deals were going on-vehicles,okada,keke napep owners exchanging cash for the release of their belongings.

I was told to bring 30k but after all begging was told to bring 10k and nothing less. I bailed my car out of course without any receipt. I was informed that's the practice.
I have seen several good things being done by the present administration in Lagos, but I can tell you all that the present crop of 'officers' in

LASTMA are at best 'agberos' who are having a field day courtesy of the ACN-led government.
If the government can not overhaul this body, then other victims of this rascality like myself should pick a different option come 2015.
What an eventful weekend.

FALUASAFE,

I CANNOT GET YOU RIGHT, YOU NEVER STATED WHAT U DID OR THE MISTAKE YOU COMMITTED THAT WARRANTS ALL THESE EMBARASSMENT FROM THE LASMA.

THEY CAN BE NAUTHY BUT I THINK THIS IS WHAT NIGERIANS LIKE AND WANT.IRON HANDS ADMINISTRATION

THINGS HAVE BEEN DONE RIGHTLY IN THE PAST BUT THE SO CALLED BIG BOYS AND GIRLS IN OUR SOCIETY HAVE ABUSED THE MORAL WAYS OF COMPLIANCE TO SIMPLE RULES.

BEFORE YOU KNOW IT THEY HAVE CALLED THEIR BROTHER'S AND SISTER'S OR FATHER'S AND MOTHER'S IN GOVERNMENT TO BAIL THEM OUT FREE OF CHARGE FOR DOING THE WRONG THING.

LASMA ARE CAPITALIZING ON OUR SIMPLE MISTAKES AND LACK OF GOOD JUDIARY SYSTEM IN OUR GOVERNANCE TO ENRICH THEMSELVES.

I THINK WE NEED TO DRIVE RIGHT AND BE SENSITIVE TO TRAFFIC RULES TO AVOID LASMA HARSH POLICY.

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by morningsta(m): 9:00am On Sep 19, 2012

Bros, from ur comments so far, I am begining to think u ar one of them cursed LASTMA officials. Remember this: if u earn ur daily bread by bringing sorrows and pains to others as is the case with LASTMA officials, u are certainly cursed.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Toks2008(m): 9:04am On Sep 19, 2012
Toks2008:

This Menace called LASTMA is one hell of an organization filled with 90% touts.

Believe it or not, Lastma criminally generates over 1billion naira monthly for the state Government, this is why Lagos state government will give them full support for these erroneous acts they commit day by day. Out of every 10cars impounded by lastma, you can rest assure that maybe just one is actually guilty of contravening traffic rules.

And If you are caught in anyway, you will be faced to pay the following crazy fees.

1. Lastma offense fee ranging into tens of thousands
2. Crazy training fee to lasdri which is about 5k
3. You pay non negotiable 10k or more for the towing van used in dragging your vehicle to their office.
4. You will now have to pay tax clearance to a crazy government that will never provide jobs for its citizens.
5. You will now pay 500naira per day for cars and more for trucks,buses and the likes for each day your car stays before redemption by you.

These Bunch of touts have been giving so much power by the state government due to the huge revenue they generate that it has gotten to their heads so what do you expect?

saxywale: Seems you are very familiar with their modus operandi. Is it really true they are given income targets by LASG and the profit is for Lastma officers once they go above the daily target? just asking ooo

My Story is no different from other innocent victims.

I pulled over at a designated Bus-top, just to see these men appear from no where with towing vans stating that i parked at a bustop. I argued with them that i did not park because my car side glasses were all down and i just left the car for just 2 minutes but all these fell on deaf hears and they succeeded in towing the car to their office.

I went straight to their head office in Oshodi to file a complaint. The PA to the chairman who is well educated agreed that one can pack at a bustop but should not be more than 5mins.

Did he waive the charges? Hell no but he just reduced the fee and all in all, i ended up spending about 50k for an offence i did not commit shuttling from one bank branch to another trying to pay in these crazy fees into the state Govt account. My friends this is crazy.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by ultimate4lovers(m): 9:11am On Sep 19, 2012
earthgreeners: Poster, If ACN led government dey piss u off, abeg go weewee..
Or go ur villa.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by elampiro(m): 9:24am On Sep 19, 2012
aryzgreat: i dont gve a damn if LASTMA TOUTS stop me, i'll crush the criminals to death without blinking! bunch of agberos!

Please don't. Your life is too precious to waste in detention. Whenever you go out, always remember you have love ones to return to.

1 Like

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Mcfemad(m): 9:29am On Sep 19, 2012
My Brother, there are "bad eggs" everywhere in the Nigerian System (Both Private and Public). It will take serious efforts to identify and deal with them appropriately. That was why I raised the issue of you lodging a complaint, see if the guys can be apprehended and dealt with accordingly.
I do not use a BB, but can send you the number of the LASTMA commander via Nairaland PM if you do not mind.
Thank you.

Have a great Day!
faluasafe: Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Mcfemad(m): 11:31pm On Sep 18

This is so serious!
As it is, I had fruitful discussions with their Oshodi commander today when he came visiting our company. I raised an issue like this which he did not denied. He termed them as 'bad eggs' in the system which I believe is everywhere.
I can help out if you would like to lodge a formal complaint. Issues like this should not be brought under the carpert. It has to be dealt with

If their so-called oga called those guys'bad eggs' among them, I am not sure if really the guy is in charge. The point I am making here there is no point given those lads jobs like this to enforce.my conclusion that day was (and I stand to be corrected)_these guys are political thugs compesated for their contribution to the success of the ACN-led govt.

Help me out? How? Well, wat will u do na? I can be reached on bb PIN 2871C052.

For the guy that asked if I truly own the car, go to their oshodi office n ask for the details of a toyota camry '01 model (gold)they impounded last sunday morning.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by flexya: 9:57am On Sep 19, 2012
Moral of the encounter has been stated for all 2 learn:
1) Don't stop for LASTMA or any uniformed person

2) If stationary wen approached, CRUSH em. Didn't one LASTMA guy beat a driver 2 death yesterday?

Fashola cannot eradicate lastma, not just because they av some +ve effect, but like most ppl noted, these r street criminals in uniform. They will simply pick up arms, return 2 the streets and escalate the current level of robbery in lagos/elsewhere.

As for the person that called Lastm a lagos version of niger delta militants! Hmmmm. I think the boys in the creeks are renowned for pipeline vandalism and Kidnappin politician families/white dudes. So not same example

Finally, not all lastma officials are yoruba. The two I know well are both from Delta state. They caut across all tribes. Bein able 2 speak yoruba does not make one yoruba. In anycase, Lagos is no mans land..........just like abuja
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by MyJoe: 9:58am On Sep 19, 2012
stagger: LASTMA should thank their God I don't live in Lagos. I will mark the official in question and have his entire family killed one after the other.
And they said Idi Amin was dead. He's living somewhere in Nigeria.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by flexya: 10:15am On Sep 19, 2012
COPIED FROM JOKES SECTION. So all credits 2 the OP

25 Rules of driving in Lagos
1. When in doubt, accelerate!

2. Be prepared to ram into anything stopping you that is wearing uniform in Lagos (police,traffic warden, FRSC, Kai brigade, fire brigade, VIO, LASTMA, LAMATA, LASWA)

3.If you get caught by any chance, do not allow them to enter your car, if they happen to get in do not drive from that spot (veer off traffic & settle promply), and if they don’t agree, pretend that you are calling your uncle who is in the army (believe me it always works), never follow them to any sort of office except you are ready to pay ten times more than what was demanded.

4. Never give police or VIO your original particulars (whether expired or up to date).

5. Danfo drivers believe they are immortal. Never yield to the temptation to teach them otherwise.

6. Okada riders have a pact with suicide, avoid them like a plaque.

7. Avoid BRT buses in all ramifications, they have no brakes.

8. Taxi cabs (oko asewo) should always have the right of way, all of them have been driving in Lagos for 25 years.

9. Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.

10. The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it. Survival of the fittest you may say!

11. Learn to swerve abruptly. In Lagos, potholes (and sometimes car-holes) are put in key locations to test drivers’ reflexes and shock absorbers,( I saw one man fishing in one of the potholes last week).

12. There is no such thing as “one-way” in Lagos. Expect traffic from any direction at all times. The okada riders are the experts in this area.

13. Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive bodywork, except you want to spend your whole Saturday at the panel beater’s place.

14. Morning rush-hours are equivalent to Lagos grand prix (who gets to the junction first).

15. There is no such thing as a short-cut during rush-hour traffic in Lagos. Everybody might be inclined to take that ’short-cut’.

16. When asking for directions, always ask at least three people. Lagosians always claim to know every inch of the city – even areas they’ve never been to.

17. Use extreme caution when pulling into service lanes. Service lanes are not for breaking down the traffic, but for speeding, especially during rush hour.

18. Never use directional signals, since they only confound and distract other Lagos drivers, who are not used to them.

19. Similarly, never attempt to give hand signals. Lagos drivers, unused to such courtesies, will think you are making obscene gestures to them. This could be very bad for you in Lagos.

20. Hazard lights (popularly called “double pointer”) is not, (as commonly supposed) used to indicate a hazard. It is a warning to you that he is a bonafide Lagos driver, he’s headed ’straight’ and as such, will not stop under any circumstance. Take him extremely seriously especially if he backs it up with a continuous blast from his “horn”.

21. At any given time, do not stand on the zebra crossing expecting traffic to yield to you, or else you will have to explain to the on coming traffic whether you look like a zebra.

22. Speed limits are arbitrary figures posted only to make you feel guilty.

23. Remember that the goal of every driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

24. In Lagos every spot is a potential bus stop. FRSC and LASTMA know that too. It is in their constitution.

25. Above all, keep moving. Even with a flat tyre!!!
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by Tokotaya: 10:34am On Sep 19, 2012
People, get it right. Four things:

1. We need LASTMA to keep Lagos motorists sane. In spite of the bad ones, they, by and large, do a very good job in most chaotic traffic spots.

2. There are good ones among them, like the chap that mans the Zenith Bank area of Agidingbi who does his job in the sun and the rain smiling at motorists.

3. We need to prevail on Gov. Fashola not to predispose them to more corruption with his unreasonable penalties for road offences. Many people who have never offered bribes in their entire life would beg LASTMA officials to accept money from them if they are faced with a jail term. Many of such people in the past had opted to pay fines into the coffers of the state rather than offer a bribe to a mischievous, lying LASTMA official.

4. Fashola needs to make public example of corrupt officials to give the public some confidence that govt is doing something about corruption.

1 Like

Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by hardbody: 10:43am On Sep 19, 2012
Babaelemu: Mr MAN. I don't believe in your write-up. Your just here to tarnish yoruba's image as usual. Get a job and leave with it as least we are progressing and we are proud to be agberos that what makes us to be accommodating. Nothing you can do about it. Its our lifestyle deal with yours "awon omo ole" (barawo)

Babaelemu as a name has some relationship with being a drunkard right? There is something in a name after all. DOLT.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by hardbody: 10:53am On Sep 19, 2012
Ariyke: u can imagine the kind of live this people are living, my office happen to be near this people's office. They extort money from people in the name of helping them, the money that enters their own pocket is even more than what they generate to the government's pocket.

There are some people among those arrested that will even want to harm themselves in there presence to prove they dont av what they are demanding (mostsly old okada men) bt all they do is laugh @ them infact i cant remember how many times av witnessed such things since they moved there.

Since they are close by, how about you take some pics or record some of those actions and post them here. There are people willing to carry the crusade further. Let us help them to help themselves. All i tend to think is that if you do not take any wrong turn, no LASTMA will arrest you, and believe me i hate them with a passion so i am not making a case for them here. I recall on a certain day when traffic light along Ozumba Mbadiwe turned to Yellow and traffic was still flowing, i knew it would turn to red any moment, and just before it happened, i applied my brakes, well behind the dotted lines. You could see the synchronized steps of the LASTMA guy stepping out to accourst (i am not sure i got that spelling right)me, but noticing i stopped appropriately, he just stepped back again. My point?, much as we hate the bad ones amongs them (and that is like all of them anyways) let us not give them the chance to pounce on us.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by luluosas(m): 10:56am On Sep 19, 2012
Lagosians, learn and start to use the cyber 'power' in you to report these criminals called LASTMA officers to the governor
directly, if you cannot get to him one-on-one.
Here are governor cyber
accounts:
Twitter handle @tundefashola and page http://twitter.com/tundefashola?p=s
Facebook https://facebook.com/BabatundeFashola?fc=0&_rdr
and website www.brfashola.org
Do it and let's get these
criminals off the roads. Thank you.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by hardbody: 10:59am On Sep 19, 2012
Toks2008:

My Story is no different from other innocent victims.

I pulled over at a designated Bus-top, just to see these men appear from no where with towing vans stating that i parked at a bustop. I argued with them that i did not park because my car side glasses were all down and i just left the car for just 2 minutes but all these fell on deaf hears and they succeeded in towing the car to their office.

I went straight to their head office in Oshodi to file a complaint. The PA to the chairman who is well educated agreed that one can pack at a bustop but should not be more than 5mins.

Did he waive the charges? Hell no but he just reduced the fee and all in all, i ended up spending about 50k for an offence i did not commit shuttling from one bank branch to another trying to pay in these crazy fees into the state Govt account. My friends this is crazy.

THis is why you should have a second car. Let them tow your car. Since you are sure of your facts, file an action in court and they will not only bring the car to court, you can claim lots of damages (percuniary) with which you can replace that car. Befriend a lawyer, it helps.
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by hardbody: 11:04am On Sep 19, 2012
flexya: COPIED FROM JOKES SECTION. So all credits 2 the OP

25 Rules of driving in Lagos
1. When in doubt, accelerate!

2. Be prepared to ram into anything stopping you that is wearing uniform in Lagos (police,traffic warden, FRSC, Kai brigade, fire brigade, VIO, LASTMA, LAMATA, LASWA)

3.If you get caught by any chance, do not allow them to enter your car, if they happen to get in do not drive from that spot (veer off traffic & settle promply), and if they don’t agree, pretend that you are calling your uncle who is in the army (believe me it always works), never follow them to any sort of office except you are ready to pay ten times more than what was demanded.

4. Never give police or VIO your original particulars (whether expired or up to date).

5. Danfo drivers believe they are immortal. Never yield to the temptation to teach them otherwise.

6. Okada riders have a pact with suicide, avoid them like a plaque.

7. Avoid BRT buses in all ramifications, they have no brakes.

8. Taxi cabs (oko asewo) should always have the right of way, all of them have been driving in Lagos for 25 years.

9. Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.

10. The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it. Survival of the fittest you may say!

11. Learn to swerve abruptly. In Lagos, potholes (and sometimes car-holes) are put in key locations to test drivers’ reflexes and shock absorbers,( I saw one man fishing in one of the potholes last week).

12. There is no such thing as “one-way” in Lagos. Expect traffic from any direction at all times. The okada riders are the experts in this area.

13. Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive bodywork, except you want to spend your whole Saturday at the panel beater’s place.

14. Morning rush-hours are equivalent to Lagos grand prix (who gets to the junction first).

15. There is no such thing as a short-cut during rush-hour traffic in Lagos. Everybody might be inclined to take that ’short-cut’.

16. When asking for directions, always ask at least three people. Lagosians always claim to know every inch of the city – even areas they’ve never been to.

17. Use extreme caution when pulling into service lanes. Service lanes are not for breaking down the traffic, but for speeding, especially during rush hour.

18. Never use directional signals, since they only confound and distract other Lagos drivers, who are not used to them.

19. Similarly, never attempt to give hand signals. Lagos drivers, unused to such courtesies, will think you are making obscene gestures to them. This could be very bad for you in Lagos.

20. Hazard lights (popularly called “double pointer”) is not, (as commonly supposed) used to indicate a hazard. It is a warning to you that he is a bonafide Lagos driver, he’s headed ’straight’ and as such, will not stop under any circumstance. Take him extremely seriously especially if he backs it up with a continuous blast from his “horn”.

21. At any given time, do not stand on the zebra crossing expecting traffic to yield to you, or else you will have to explain to the on coming traffic whether you look like a zebra.

22. Speed limits are arbitrary figures posted only to make you feel guilty.

23. Remember that the goal of every driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

24. In Lagos every spot is a potential bus stop. FRSC and LASTMA know that too. It is in their constitution.

25. Above all, keep moving. Even with a flat tyre!!!

Guy this was funny and know what, i can relate with all the points and believe me, i have been living my driving life exactly as scripted. Thanks for making my day
Re: A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi by naturalwaves: 11:58am On Sep 19, 2012
@BOLADEZ,U seem 2 know d guy, Texxapette very well. He doensn't know mor than calling sm1 a simpleton,slowpoke & saying one's imbecility spans an infinite loop weneva he has nothing meaningful 2 say.Well,tnx 4 ur very informative and educative post.

@OP, U're a bloody liar. Several persons av been asking U what ur offence was and if U didn't commit one,what did they say U did? But U turned blind eyes 2 those questions wich logically showd dat U were guilty wit d most probable offence being dat U beat d traffic light/stepped byond d boundary.Wen U're not an illiterate,Y woud U pay money 4 wat u're unaware of? They milked 10k out of U wich U know is not d regular fees 4 such offences.U were supposd 2 pay 30k wit a ticket but they covered U up and U're here crying foul. D officials were corrupt no doubt abt dat and d only way they couldn't av been was 2 giv U reg.fine wich will go into d books.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint / 2019 Lamborghini Urus: Five Things We Know / Does Your Car Turn Heads?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.