Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,682 members, 7,962,192 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 05:39 AM

The Tragedy Of The Anglican Church In The U.K!!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Tragedy Of The Anglican Church In The U.K!!!! (738 Views)

Pregnant Bride Wears Yellow In Anglican Church Wedding (Photo) / An Experience At Pastor Chris Okotie’s Church In Lagos / Gay Bishops In The Anglican Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Tragedy Of The Anglican Church In The U.K!!!! by Krucifax(m): 2:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
The article below is from Reuters news agent but can also be found on Yahoo news updates. Whilst historically religion and politics have always slept together it baffles me why followers tolerate and participate in the whole farce.

The head of the Council of 16 who elect the Anglican church leader is SELECTED by David Cameron ( A supporter of Gay marriage, Gay adoption and a host of other Gay friendly initiatives). Now i have nothing against gays(to each his own) what i do have a problem is the crushing of religious beliefs by the political establishment in the U.K.
What i have a problem with, is the arbitrary forced imposition of alien ideology into religious doctrine. I’m in support of gays working and living wherever they want, i am not in support of people telling churches that they must marry gay people in holy matrimony, and call it MARRIAGE. Failure of which could be a breach of human rights law. This is the position espoused by David Cameron, how David Cameron can then be allowed to be any part of the religious process let alone a crucial one is beyond belief!!!

Some Anglicans may argue that they are not affected by it, but that is an incredible lie!! If the principle message of the doctrine has been corrupted, then you are only fooling yourselves and are not practising your faith!! I do want to stress that this ONLY APPLIES TO THE U.K. As Anglicans in other countries are mostly free to practise the real faith.

There can be no compromise in faith or you invalidate the whole! If you chose which aspects to adhere to and which ones to ignore, then the whole becomes a farce,as if you have enough people selecting parts of the Bible they like, there comes a point where none of it would matter anymore as it is only optional!

[b]LONDON (Reuters) - A Church of England panel meeting in secret to choose the next Archbishop of Canterbury has failed to reach agreement on who should be the new leader of the world's 80 million Anglicans, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

After three days of talks behind closed doors in an undisclosed location, officials narrowed the field to three candidates, but will need to meet again to finish the job, the Sunday Times said, citing an unnamed senior cleric.

The choice of a replacement for Rowan Williams, who steps down in December, is critical for a church in danger of splitting over divisive issues such as gay marriage and senior women clergy, and facing a rising threat from secularism.

The Crown Nominations Commission (CNC), a church panel with 16 members whose chairman is appointed by the prime minister, had been expected to pick a preferred candidate and a second choice on Friday, a church source said last week.

The names were then due to be passed to Prime Minister David Cameron and Queen Elizabeth, supreme governor of the Church of England, before an official announcement within days, possibly on Wednesday.

In a brief statement, the church said a decision would be reached during the autumn. Officials had previously signalled that it could come as early as next week.

"The work of the Commission continues. There will be no comment on any speculation about candidates or about the CNC's deliberations," it said.

According to the Sunday Times, the panel has a three name shortlist:

* Bishop of Norwich Graham James, 61, a keen amateur actor and cricketer who said last week he would "hope and pray" someone else gets the job.

* Archbishop of York John Sentamu, 63, a Ugandan-born traditionalist who holds the second most senior post in the Church of England and writes a column for the Sun newspaper.

* Bishop of Durham Justin Welby, 56, a former oil industry executive who has been a bishop for less than a year.

The 105th Archbishop of Canterbury will take over at a painful time for a church divided by long-running debates over sexuality and senior roles for women clergy. Liberal attitudes among some clerics in Britain and the United States have infuriated conservatives in places with growing congregations, such as Nigeria.

Williams, 62, who takes up a position at Cambridge University, said in March that his successor would need the "constitution of an ox and the skin of a rhinoceros".[/b]
Re: The Tragedy Of The Anglican Church In The U.K!!!! by Ptolomeus(m): 11:21pm On Sep 30, 2012
I guess in Nigeria to import religions, not required import rate.
Re: The Tragedy Of The Anglican Church In The U.K!!!! by Krucifax(m): 8:47pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I guess in Nigeria to import religions, not required import rate.

Please translate,i'm lost!!!

(1) (Reply)

Roman Catholic Church To Start Tax Payment In Italy From 2013 / Everything / Nigerians Christians And Their Nonsensical Ways...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.