Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,120 members, 7,960,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 03:30 AM

Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? (13642 Views)

If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Nigeria Is Finished! I Am Ashamed Of My Country - Pics / Why APC Can’t Be Ashamed Of Aregbesola – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by styles2009: 10:49am On Oct 25, 2012
There are 2 things people in Europe look unto to respect you,its either you are an Arab or a Nigerian.
An Arab don't give a Bleep, recently one egyptian bit 2 police officers in Milan for false accusation of theft. grin (I don laugh die,when i read the news)

I am a proud Nigerian and don't think of giving up that Green white Green passport, It makes you stand out , only Nigerians,who don't know,how the world operates, can't defend themselves,when other nationalities talk about 419 or Boko Haram stuff. (It's simple and only greedy folks fall for that sh!t, i tell my cameroonian gf always, Nigerian are the only people,who can stand up to any white person and put them in their right position.)

I'll give you an example, i worked for a company for 11 months in Milan, Italy and i left, something told me, they never paid any of my taxes to the government and a month ago, i visited them and ask for a documentation,to show all my taxes were paid, low and behold, they paid nothing,(omo ole jati jati) I had a choice to report them or make them pay the taxes to the authorities. (They opted for the later wink)
Many other African nationalities especially our popular west african brother from HG, they would never do such or be bold to work up to their former employer to dare ask for such. (Who born the Maga?)
As for me , i'll flaunt it anyday, i am a Nigerian,so i get respected and nobody try to look down me cos i'm Black .

Long live Naija, the best country in Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by profstar(m): 11:31am On Oct 25, 2012
violent:

Yeaah! this is how we rock!!!

When you are done rocking, you can watch the Aluu video from here

http://www.todaysnigeria.com/2012/10/allu-village-video-of-brutal-murder-of_9.html

then let me know if your high school explanation and your somewhat immature conclusion that we don't owe anyone any explanations still apply.

In the meantime, enjoy rocking!!
now i see you are blind, do you think it's happening only in Nigeria?, it's happening all over the world, it's happening in ghana, usa, russia all over the world. So think before you post, don't post before you think
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by SELFWORTH: 11:54am On Oct 25, 2012
babaowo: mr basket mouth have you ever feed your family enough id!otic!!!

I am ashamed of people like this. They are a disgrace to Nigeria . Just comment . Why the insults?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by profstar(m): 11:58am On Oct 25, 2012
prince_onx: To those of you who love Nigeria so much, my question is: To the best of your knowledge, and all/everything you know about Nigeria, if Nigeria was/is a human (woman or man) will you marry him/her? If you are really sick, and Nigeria is a hospital, will you want to be admitted there?
The truth is we are all saying this because we are/were born Nigerians. Lets for once think like non-nigerians, is nigeria safe for visitors, friends, and family? is our roads safe/good both for driving and traveling? how about our hospitals, schools, etc? Some of you might challenge that those negative things are also every where but truth be told, naija own is pathetic! most of us here are being typical nigerians for not even saying the truth! Personally, If I wasn't born a Nigerian or had any root with Nigeria, with all I know about naija, I will NEVER step foot into that country period.
you need to be killed for Nigeria to move forward, you are saying "assuming you are not a Nigeria" but unluckly for you you are a Nigeria, what can you do about that?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by SELFWORTH: 1:16pm On Oct 25, 2012
Desola:

That I am ashamed of being one does not relegate me to being stateless. I am afterall still Nigerian, albeit a reluctant one and so long as I am one, I have equal rights just as you to comment on anything related to Nigeria. You comprehend?

Well said. Ignorance sometimes can be a disease. What is wrong in wanting the best for your country? This is the reason why the country will never move forward becos these are the kind of people leading the nation. A nation without a vision will perish.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by mikron(m): 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2012
Ricky_Ross: Inferiority complex is a disease, nobody will infringe on your right or abuse you without your consent. Nigeria is not as bad as Nigerians say it. If you are ashamed of being a Nigerian the best thing is to pack your bags and move over to Somalia or Burundi.

I am never ashamed of being a Nigerian. I rather swag and brag about being Nigerian. No foreigner will ever stand and tell me shitty things about Nigeria, if they tell me about 419 scams I will remind them 99.9% of 419 victims are greedy white bastardss who want to reap where they did not sow. Boko Haram is a secret tool the west is using to destabilize Nigeria.

Why should I be ashamed of being a Nigerian? How many countries have I got? Which country in this world is perfect? I don't let the negative side of Nigeria weigh me down. Rather it motivates me to work extra hard and contribute my quota to make Nigeria great.
GBAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM VERY CORRECT. MY THOUGHTS TOO
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 26, 2012
dabrake:
I'm ashamed of you
u be ode,u shud know,that's a typo error,do u think its easy typing from blackberry porsche?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by SELFWORTH: 3:07pm On Oct 26, 2012
Yomieluv: u be ode,u shud know,that's a typo error,do u think its easy typing from blackberry porsche?

Now we know you have a blackberry . Ugh!
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by dammytex: 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
NA wa oo
The question is simple enough and the answer is Yes. At one point or the other I had been ashamed.

But then, do you have any choice about where you'd be born. If we were to choose our own country of birth, who will choose 9ja.

Any day any time, I will always try as much as possible to be as proud as possible to be a Nigerian. It's not that completely complex being a Nigerian. If you compete well in school, you'd graduate with top grades no matter what. That increases your chances of getting a better job. Good jobs with a decent lifestyle earns you respect almost everywhere.
I work for a multinational and everytime I travel, I always flash my ID card at borders (trust my 9ja blood na) and I never get harassed.
In fact, I get a lot of attention when I deliver on my job and I also get to answer a lot of questions about Rashidi Yekini, Fela and Wole Soyina at leisure times.

Even in some countries like South Africa, you hear the SA ladies say they hate 9ja guys because of fraud and womanizing. But afterwards, they come running after us saying Nigerian men always know how to treat a lady and how to be gentle on a lady compared to their SA men.

So, work on yourself, stay away from fraud and crime, pray for our country. Also, Try to limit our export of funds in exchange for foreign medication, education and vacation. A lot of Nigerians have fantastic jobs here at home with only Nigerian degrees and we that treat ourselves in Nigerian hospitals are not dead yet.

May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by profstar(m): 10:00am On Oct 30, 2012
ogugua88: I've never been ashamed because I know there are many Nigerians who haven't given up. The day all hope is lost is the day I will become ashamed.
all hope will never be lost, it will never happen, we still have millions of Nigerian who will never be ashame of nigeria, so never loose hope
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by AjanleKoko: 1:36pm On Jan 06, 2013
Why would I be ashamed of Nigeria? I was born here, still live here. I might as well be ashamed of my father's village. The fact that I don't live there notwithstanding. But Nigeria is different, I live here, and earn my living from the country.

Yes, we've got lots of issues, like many other countries. Yes, we're making lots of mistakes, but which nation hasn't?
I think, when we complain about all the bad things that happen in Naija, we seem not to realize that it is our job to fix them. Not Martians, not Oyinbos, not even Chinese.

It is the job of Nigerians to fix those problems. Rather than endless lamentations, we'd better get busy with improving our lives as individuals, then as a community, then as a nation. It is not the country that needs to change, it is people that need to change.

It's ironic that the same Nigerians, when they relocate to other countries, readily embrace the same social change that is needed back home. Which shows that we as a people are capable of change. Though that depends on the strength of the social construct wherever they go. Usually we just try to imprint our lawless behavior on our host communities, if they let us. Just ask South Africans, Ghanaians, etc.

And by the way, I have never been harassed or made to feel bad about being a Nigerian. Not at any airport outside the country, or any foreign location. I usually do not expect to be treated differently than anyone else, and I am never disappointed. Which is a problem black people do have; they always seem to expect some sort of preferential treatment from others. Don't ask me why that is embarassed If you conduct yourself with dignity and self-respect, nobody will embarrass you. But if you behave like the world owes you something, well you will draw attention to yourself all the time. Most of it negative.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

APC To Unveil Buhari Government’s Policy Direction Wednesday / Falana: Service Chiefs Nominated But Not Appointed Yet / Updated:Happening Now : Main Market Onitsha Shut Down, Biafra Protest (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.