Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,929 members, 7,962,961 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 09:24 PM

A Brief Encounter With General Buhari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Brief Encounter With General Buhari (8918 Views)

General Buhari's Military Government / Dr Alex Ekwueme With General Muhammadu Buhari (photo) / I Am 100% With General Buhari", Says Pastor Tunde Bakare. New Video. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by rickross2: 10:35am On Dec 14, 2012
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by bbfever(f): 10:36am On Dec 14, 2012
Why are Nigerians still myopic in their reasoning? The Nigerian Economy right now needs some sanitization and not sentiments. This cannot albeit will not be achievable under Jonathan (yes i said it). Any true leader affects instant changes even when not physically visible can be sensed and people can say "we sense a change in the air" but not in Jonathans case. We appear to be in a quagmire and can see no way out. Right now what we need is a man in the mold of Buhari if not Buhari himself. Since we have not found such a man or woman yet I cast my vote for Buhari in advance.

1)I need a stable economy with serious growth potential and soaring pride not this standstill government and shamefulness being experienced by all and sundry.

2)I need a place where my kids would grow without fear of terrorism and without fear of tomorrow. A place where my kids would be be allowed to explore positively yet within the confines of discipline.

3)I need a place where law and order would be the order of the day and every offence or offender would be promptly and lawfully tackled.

I am not a tribalist or a sentimentalist even though i am an easterner resident in Lagos, I strongly believe that these can be achieved under Buhari especially after witnessing his leadership with the late Idiagbon. Buhari found someone in the mold of the late idiagbon in Pastor Tunde Bakare. A man fearless and ready to stare down the devil himself. We need those days again. Those were the real days of FRESH AIR!

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by Mavrick2012: 10:40am On Dec 14, 2012
lacasa: Bbuhari needs ηo Propaganda.

It's simple, if u want Corruptionn to be beaten to the bearest minimum, then vote for a Buhari if he runs.

But if Nigerians want the GEJ corruption hurricane and tsunami of Insecurity to continue ​ so​ most Nigerians could suffer to an early grave, pls by all means vote Goodluck for a 2nd term.

"a word is enough for the wise" undecided
my naive comrade,coruptn is nt a small,lone entity dat a single individual can solve,coruptn has eaten deep in2 evry facet of our system.only restructurin of d corupt system can lower coruptn.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by banki(m): 10:42am On Dec 14, 2012
gramci: "Dogs and Baboons soaked in blood" General

you guys keep quoting what you did not see or hear, or for those that heard decided to pick the deadly part and ignored the caveat"if elections are rigged" I dont need to be a Buhari supporter to tell you that nigeria would burn if pdp tries to rig the election again
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by ypzilanti: 10:47am On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

Mr. Logic am sure your are very much aware of the saying that the worst democracy is better than the best military regime. Your righteous buhari once destroyed democracy, if you are still expecting him to benefit from it then you must be high on beneline codeine (cough syrup). Anuofia!

It is the hallmark of intellectually inferior people to hurl insults when they cannot marshal points to support their position. I do not blame you, I blame the poor education you received that makes you capable of typing English, but bereft of any logic or historical context.

Let me educate you:

There are several examples of Leaders that truncated a democratic process that was corrupt, and finally put their people on a better political footing.

Go and read a history book. Ghana is one example, but their are many others. I have like 5 just off the top of my head.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by outrage: 10:55am On Dec 14, 2012
Worst democracy better than best military rule??
Really??

I rather live in ghaddafi's libya than obamas america.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by ypzilanti: 10:57am On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

Check his record as PTF boss, most projects he embarked on were AREWA-STAN based. Ewu

PTF constructed road through my village in eastern Nigeria. I also saw many PTF projects in Abia State at the time. This argument is so foolish. Every state in Nigeria had plenty PTF projects. The PDP propagandist argument was that he did more projects in North than in South. Really? Seriously? If this is the best argument they can come up with, then please GEJ should develop the whole Nigeria and do just a little more in Bayelsa. He can start with the abandoned East-West road. What people do not understand is that some people in power are development centered and some are not. It does not matter if they are from North, South or East. If you are a thieving politician without a development agenda, you will not perform. Delta state governor is a case in point.

7 Likes

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by omenka(m): 11:25am On Dec 14, 2012
ypzilanti:

I'm amazed that Nigerian people who can type English and probably graduated from University cannot do some critical reasoning. what then should we expect from Nigerian illiterates?

Ok. Let us do some critical analysis. Was Sharia imposed in northern states under Buhari when he was a military ruler,and could do and undo? No.

Sharia was imposed in the North under a 'Christian' ruler, Obasanjo. Boko Haram flourishes under a 'Christian' ruler, Jonathan.

Under whose regime was Boko Haram scattered ruthlessly and leader executed controversially? YarAdua...a moslem.

Can Buhari possibly impose Islam on all Nigerians as a Democratic president? Hell no!

I don't know of Buhari's intellectual capacity to manage Nigeria's economy, but he surely will do better than GEJ.

Another thing I know is that if Buhari is declared winner of presidential elections today, all the looters in Nigeria will board the next flight out of the country.

Shebi the north said last election was their turn to rule Nigeria. Why then did the northern elite not back Buhari after GEJ swindled them out of PDP ticket?

People murdered in his name during post election violence, but he did not send anyone to do that. It is the same way that the Niger Delta militants are always threatening to murder everyone if anything happens to GEJ. It is Nigeria's peculiar nature that ethnicity is finally brought into everything.

Use your head and stop repeating PDP propoganda that they used to rubbish Buhari during the election period.

That said, I think the guy should take a much needed rest and back a credible candidate next election cycle.

This post ought to make newspaper headlines across the country sir. There's no better way to put it.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by BlueMurder(m): 11:26am On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

You can do better reasoning with your anu.s

Only empty barrels resort to insults and name-calling in the face of superior arguements
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by gramci: 11:26am On Dec 14, 2012
ypzilanti:

It is the hallmark of intellectually inferior people to hurl insults when they cannot marshal points to support their position. I do not blame you, I blame the poor education you received that makes you capable of typing English, but bereft of any logic or historical context.

Let me educate you:

There are several examples of Leaders that truncated a democratic process that was corrupt, and finally put their people on a better political footing.

Go and read a history book. Ghana is one example, but their are many others. I have like 5 just off the top of my head.

Prof. Don't blame me, your buhari is a serial looser! tongue
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by BlueMurder(m): 11:29am On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

Mr. Logic am sure your are very much aware of the saying that the worst democracy is better than the best military regime. Your righteous buhari once destroyed democracy, if you are still expecting him to benefit from it then you must be high on beneline codeine (cough syrup). Anuofia!

You do not have to insult him if you counter his argument with a superior one!
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by gramci: 11:32am On Dec 14, 2012
BlueMurder:

Only empty barrels resort to insults and name-calling in the face of superior arguements

Which superior argument? Nigerians rejected him, who are you to anoint him as the messiah.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 14, 2012
Bihari happens to be the most trusted Nigerian politician alive. Frank, straightforward and a truthful man. I read the CPC manifesto and the PDP manifesto before I decided to vote in 2011. If he offers himself again for consideration, I will evaluate his offer. Buhari will be a credible opposition. GEJ is a Christian from the South like me but that's not enough for me to follow blindly. I will assess what he has to offer. Both men have ruled this country before. However, the odds seem stacked against GEJ based on results measured against Buhari's performance. Buhari's has been a GOC, Governor, Petroleum Minister, head of PTF and Head of State. He has proved his competence in all these assignments. I'm not given to blind followership. Let them tell us what they have done and what they can do; not what they promise to do.

4 Likes

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by BlueMurder(m): 11:48am On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

Which superior argument? Nigerians rejected him, who are you to anoint him as the messiah.

How are the Nigerians who 'rejected' him now faring under the current dispensation? Did they bargain for massive corruption, choking poverty, record unemployment level, pervasive insecurity, gross indiscipline, etc?

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 14, 2012
Nice write up

sesanrota:
AT the time Buhari ruled, Enebeli Elebuwa was the face of Nigeria. He played Andrew, a comic, in a short propagandist documentary widely circulated through the government media particularly the NTA which was at that time the veritable vehicle of government propaganda with its Siamese twin, Radio Nigeria. This was way before the advent of privately owned radio and television stations. The NTA opened and closed with the national anthem and pledge. News was broadcast only at 9pm.

There was no CNN. In the story, Andrew had planned to “check out” of Nigeria: there were no jobs. Power supply was erratic; fuel queues were long and snaky; essential commodities were being rationed and there was a draconian war against indiscipline. Three young men had been executed for peddling dope. The decree that sealed their fate was non-existent at the time the offences were committed. A democratically elected government had been ejected by soldiers and civilian rule was nowhere in sight.

A law forbade the possession of foreign currency and the naira exchange rate was frightening. Europe or America bore the only hope of survival for many young men and women. But right at the departure lounge, a voice of reason beckoned: only Nigerians could reverse this terrible and ugly situation. And if each and every Nigerian with the means to ameliorate the situation “checked out”, then doomsday was near. Andrew chose to stay. When Elebuwa later became popular and famous in home movies, those who knew him by his moniker stuck to that name.

The reality on ground did not support an early resuscitation of the comatose nation. And Buhari was coming to Benin. An ample opportunity presented itself for us to confront the strongman. A little over a year before then, together with his majordomo, Tunde Idiagbon, Buhari had sacked Shehu Shagari’s government. At that time, Benin was literally teeming with radicals and ideologues of all hues and colours.

No one would be intimidated. There was Tunde Fatunde, Festus Iyayi, Felix Orhewhere and a host of others. Outside the walls of the ivory tower there was Ohonbanmu, the Marxist ideologue who had just returned from a long sojourn in Germany and was ready to do battle. The students paraded Matthew “Matto” Urhoghide, Osaze “Pelebe” Ize-Iyamu, Evhi Eyeghre and Nnamdi Maduekwe. There was Thaddeus Alli and Kayode Thomas together with Isaac Ajayi, Onajide Onajiromu and Larry Ettah. Pelebe later became the SSG during Lucky Igbinedion’s time in Edo state while Larry Ettah today heads UAC. Inspiration was nearby and fear was unknown.

Somehow, Buhari avoided the university preferring instead to commission some showpiece projects at the sister teaching hospital. He had played into our hands and confrontation would be inevitable. And so as medical students, we made an offer to Navy Captain Yinka Omolulu, a navy doctor who was at the time the helmsman of the teaching hospital in Benin. It was an offer he could not refuse. He must have had sleepless nights pondering the consequences of his decision to allow a small party of four of us to see the strongman and prince of the Daura emirate. We had headaches for a different reason: The radio and television were filled with congratulatory messages for a messianic Buhari who had come to save Nigeria and was visiting Bendel state. We also had no more bursary as Ogbemudia no longer called the shots at government house. And how were we going to fit all our demands into Omololu’s allotted five minutes. We rehearsed and even had a dress rehearsal with Dr. Alex Khadiri of physiology department playing Buhari. Khadiri later went to the senate representing the people of Kogi east during Obasanjo’s second coming.

On that day, to Omololu’s horror, we demanded a private audience with Buhari. We had passed the point of no return and were ready to damn the fallout. You could hear a pin drop. The silence was louder than the clapping of thunder. With only his aide de camp by his side, the bespectacled general took us into a side room and firmly shut the door. Another mistake! Why couldn’t we just snuff the life out of this man and return Shagari to the mantle of leadership? The odds were in our favour. It was two against four, but the ADC was armed and so wise counsel prevailed. We asked him to justify his incursion into governance. We told him point blank that he was an illegal ruler and as illegitimate as could possibly be.

Taken aback but quickly regaining his composure, his soldier’s training took hold of him. With a calm candour and demeanour and in as solemn as a voice could be, he walked us through the financial and economic quagmire of Nigeria since the advent of Shagari. He pointed out the rot in the management of the nation’s resources especially in the petroleum sector over which he had once presided. He enunciated the cracks that had begun to develop in the body polity and the existence of divisions along ethnic lines. There were hundreds of millions in private Swiss banks siphoned overnight. The foreign reserves were all but gone.

Infrastructure had decayed and joblessness was in sight for young graduates. Even our teaching hospital was a glorified dispensary. The academia was being depleted of quality scholarship and faculty. Was this how we wanted to proceed? He availed us of a careful and meticulous plan he had put together to redeem Nigeria and asked us to watch him. The school authorities could do us no harm as we were not at liberty to reveal what transpired between us and the general. And we knew, none had the effrontery and bravado to ask Buhari. Should harm befall us and word filtered back to Buhari, the consequences could be dire. We were left to complete our studies.

The gangling Fulani soldier had enthralled us. He had held us captive. We were mute as Buhari spoke. We watched in awe as he excused himself for as he told us, he had a job to do. A little over a year after this incident, Buhari was toppled by Babangida, the gap-toothed general from Minna. Then Sani Abacha, the dark goggled one followed after a brief interregnum that threw up Ernest Shonekan who never sat down for a day at the office.

Today, seven reigns after Buhari, in the time of destiny’s child, Goodluck Jonathan, out of the four of us that met with Buhari, I am the lone one remaining in Nigeria. And Enebeli Elebuwa, Buhari’s face of Nigeria has died in an Indian hospital where he was ferried by a benevolent Delta state government after the country he loved turned him down.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/a-brief-encounter-with-general-buhari/
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by gramci: 12:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
outrage: Worst democracy better than best military rule??
Really??

I rather live in ghaddafi's libya than obamas america.

KhaddAfi's Libya? LMAO grin
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by enigmagu1(m): 12:08pm On Dec 14, 2012
na wao !!! all ds aguement for som1 who has reached menopause in politics? shocked even dou no lite..

1 Like

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by Mustymohd2: 12:26pm On Dec 14, 2012
TechRev: Can Buhari do any reasonable corruption fight without Idiagbon??
o yes
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by mikolo80: 12:43pm On Dec 14, 2012
ABEG WHO KNO WHERE CPC DE DO MEETING FOR IBADAN
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by frukes: 1:51pm On Dec 14, 2012
just that in Nigeria any mam can do what ever he or she like for a thousand times,because of money and so call reli...,corrupt nation soon to collapse,whats is His interest this time,what can He do in this old age that he never had opportunities to do before. such men shouldn't even be allowed to register or be heard if we were in the right society.He's among the Nigerian problem.buha what..? shame on man that would support such men
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by Titusolufemi(m): 2:23pm On Dec 14, 2012
hm! interesting.but anyone who is to lead this country should first go and watch this korean film YISAN.( SAN OF THE ROYAL HOUSE)season1 to 8.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by dickhardener: 2:25pm On Dec 14, 2012
Nigeria has an acute collective dimensia. What in God's name has deluded these lots, how on earth can people love deep suffering over liberation and sane governance simply because of sentiments. Should I refer to this as a pre-condition to total collapse, this cloudy mindsets? Should I say they are young at heart or held spell bound? What a tragedy that has eaten into the core of the populace. Scales of delusional fallacies sewn to their eyelids. It does not matter one bit who rules, regardless of his religion, tribe, age or ethnicity, what's imperatively imminent is the restoration of a functionally sane government. Buhari is the ideal man to bring ideals back to governance and to bring governmental sanity to fruition. The younger generations are unmistably even a worse choice until the faculties of this generation be washed off corruption and the encrption of insatiable greed be stripped off the hearts of all and sundry then can a younger buhari evolve as an unshakable political stanchion.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by dickhardener: 2:37pm On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

Son nigerians did not reject him, the elites did. If only you have an inclination as to how politics works in Nigeria you will review your yardstick for the supposed rejection.late Meles zenawi of Ethiopia violently truncated the government preceding his and totally I mean totally snuffed out corruption from his nation and transformed it to an enviable eastern economic hub devoid of corruption.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by nkemKalu: 2:42pm On Dec 14, 2012
Series22: No matter una propaganda on buhari, he can never win d presidency because he has reached politcal menopause.
In other news, mods, where is my price as d 1st 2 comment?
WATCH OUT IN 2015.........NO NEED TO MAKE NOISE
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by gramci: 2:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
dick hardener: Son nigerians did not reject him, the elites did. If only you have an inclination as to how politics works in Nigeria you will review your yardstick for the supposed rejection.late Meles zenawi of Ethiopia violently truncated the government preceding his and totally I mean totally snuffed out corruption from his nation and transformed it to an enviable eastern economic hub devoid of corruption.

Pops the last time I checked the elites didn't constitute the majority.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by honeric01(m): 2:57pm On Dec 14, 2012
gramci:

Pops the last time I checked the elites didn't constitute the majority.

But they control the majority by making sure the majority see good standard of living in Nigeria as a privilege and not a right.

By oppressing them so as to entice them with what they lack during election periods.

You won't understand this i believe, so let me stop.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by Zakkyoz: 5:47pm On Dec 14, 2012
God 'll save us somehow someday
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by VolvoS60(m): 7:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
Mr. Buhari more or less threw a challenge to Nigerians during the presidential debate earlier this year. He said he could not understand how a Nigerian lawmaker earns more than the US president.

Nigerians who voted Jonathan (and not the PDP) or the PDP (and not Jonathan) or Jonathan (and the PDP) or whatever:

What is your response?
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by nagoma(m): 7:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
onye_ngbu*:
Buhari will need a name change, face change, religion change, character change and if possible, geographic region change to win a presidential election again in nigeria. you people should stop trying to fight a lost cause!

It is a lost cause, the crooks have highjacked the country . No turning back to sure doom with Jonathan and the like.
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by mathskill: 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2012

1 Like

Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by try69: 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
Some people will come here to say buhari will islamize a democratic Nigeria..I wonder how people think..
All you who sentimentally voted GEJ and are now weeping should use same way to vote him out..

I'm from the south-south but truth be told, buhari should rule us again
Re: A Brief Encounter With General Buhari by oraclefemi(m): 10:08pm On Dec 14, 2012
i like his ideas but got some issues with his views about religion

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale / How Are You Celebrating Nigeria At 56? / 2019: 5,000 PDP Members Join Ex-oyo Governor, Alao-akala In ADP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.