Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,719 members, 7,962,323 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 08:43 AM

One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. (2217 Views)

Why Do Ex's Say, "We Can Still Be Friends," After A Break-up? / They All Say We Look Like Brother And Sister! / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 9:40am On Mar 12, 2013
fubbyy: that means you don't know anything about your home town, you should be ashamed, idemili knows it more than okija my home town, go to your village and ask questions that's if you are not an outcast
ignorance is not bliss,idemili is not a town,okija is in Ihiala,you guys are near Imo state,so it will be more prominent there but not idemili
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 9:43am On Mar 12, 2013
edogram.:
Osu are people, who are sacrifle to gods, humna sacrifice to apiss the gods from anger or something.

Most they are kidnap people from other land and secrifce to idol. Just like how poeple secrifice goat, chicken to river.

The became sacride to touch or play with and they belong to the gods, they serve and work for the gods all through thier life. But at a time they grow if population.

So when you marry from an osu is an abomination of then days as the gods have a tiles in the family and things dont work well as i have heard. Its like marrying want belong to gods as sacride. Marrying a gods children with dont tilly with other earthics group. That stigma is still very active and will be very deficult to defeat
Don't say what you are not sure of,in the olden days osu people where the people that ran to the gods for protection (protection from oppression and stuff like that).it was believed that they belong to the gods and whoever touched or harmed them incured the wrath of the gods. Some people still see them as the god's properties and chose to stay away from them.
Who told you that things don't work out well for them? The osus I know are successful in life,it is believed that an osu will succeed even where a free born did not succeed.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by lillyveezy: 9:46am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
believe whatever you want,but fact remains,i have never heard about Osu where am from
U never heard of it,maybe because u are part of the osu cast.Most osu families dont ever talk about it,to shield the younger generation from the stigma associated with it.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 9:47am On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
am not saying it never Existed,just the other guy generizing the whole Osu stuff to all Igboland till now
Ok I understand your point, yes some villages have abolished but they are few in number.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by JoannaSedley(f): 9:50am On Mar 12, 2013
Enlightenment by the churches and educating the idemili people has helped. To some of them who cares,while people are hustling for more important things you're here talking about osu " they will say". Still existing for the traditionalist though they are in the minority, are still trying their possible best to strenghten their grip on people.
@op, your problem is that your people are singing a different song.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 10:02am On Mar 12, 2013
[ ;Dquote author=o'boy]stop talking what you know nothing About,the only thing my people will ask is if you love Each other and they will try to Know their Background,nobody rejects anybody where am from,get it to your head[/quote]
lol @ nobody rejects anybody where you are from. I just hope the osu thing does not exists where you are from. One day I asked my mother what will happened if I or one of my brothers decide to marry an Osu, you need to have heard the way she screamed grin she said she didn't marry an osu so we won't marry them either.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Biim: 10:07am On Mar 12, 2013
Joanna Sedley:
@op, your problem is that your people are singing a different song.
The problem is with the man's family not the op's family. Her family will give their consent if the man's family accepts her. Her family is only watching out for her by asking her to let go of the man.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 10:37am On Mar 12, 2013
lillyveezy: U never heard of it,maybe because u are part of the osu cast.Most osu families dont ever talk about it,to shield the younger generation from the stigma associated with it.
are you delibrately being obtuse,or you just want me to Use Swear words at you this blessed morning?
For the Umptenth time My little home town has no such traditions these days,it has been abolished years Ago
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by JoannaSedley(f): 10:50am On Mar 12, 2013
Biim:
The problem is with the man's family not the op's family. Her family will give their consent if the man's family accepts her. Her family is only watching out for her by asking her to let go of the man.

i get you.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by fubbyy(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2013
o'boy:
ignorance is not bliss,idemili is not a town,okija is in Ihiala,you guys are near Imo state,so it will be more prominent there but not idemili
idemili is not a town, what is it? You must be on drugs, mr man I've been to idemili several times, they are one of anambarians that speak what others don't understand
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by baby124: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2013
Most igbo people i know who are considered "Osu" marry outside their tribe. Upgrade yourself abeg and find husband in another tribe. And you really dont want to force such a marriage. If he is called for chieftancy title in the future, he will dump you sharp sharp and deny your kids. They may give him a regular wife to marry. Well undecided

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by mkoabiola: 6:05pm On Mar 12, 2013
Don't start wat u cannot finish.
Listen to ur parents.

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by greedie1(f): 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2013
let me tell you about where i come from....many many yrs ago, osu caste system was abolished by a bye law and the osu's were reintegrated into the community we worship together, shop together, attend meetings together, do everything together except inter marry. til date only one man was bold enuf to marry an osu girl!!! and dey say der marriage is hellish...now dats wat i heard.

i don't support d idea of stigmatizing a fellow human for something she has no control ove. why, even d constitution provides dat no one be treated differently bcz of circumstances of her birth... unfortunately, it seems d law against discrimination is in paper only, its disheartening dat whyl d general public may treat someone fairly, her own ple,who are held 2geda by an organic solidarity- linguistic, cultural and religious homogeneity ll decide to segregate.

op, my advice is this: tell u boo, be d one to break the osu news to him and watch his reaction. if he is ok wit it, good. if he is but his family is not den u ve a problem...the two of u ll ve to decide weda or not to ignore ur parents and go ahead wit d marriage. in arriving at ur decision, don't just be ruled by ur heart (love) but also by ur head!! bcz..having ur inlaws hate u is no small burden.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Oahray: 7:38pm On Mar 12, 2013
^^ Well said like my lawyer smiley

1 Like

Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by oboy3(m): 7:41pm On Mar 12, 2013
fubbyy: idemili is not a town, what is it? You must be on drugs, mr man I've been to idemili several times, they are one of anambarians that speak what others don't understand
let me excuse your Ignorance and Educate you a bit
idemili consists of two local goverments,South and North
idemili south has a conglomerate of 9 towns
idemili north has maybe 9 towns too
what do you mean by Other Anambrarian dont understand the igbo which Idemili people speak?if you truly Anambra and you dont understand idemili dialect then you should be sacrifised to river idemili Asap
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Onyinyechimara(f): 11:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
It's unfortunate........na wa for this tradition still causing problems in this 2013
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Godwin7(m): 12:13am On Mar 13, 2013
It is quite unfortunate that the Osu caste system has refused to leave ibo land after several generations.The truth is that anyone caught in this quaqmire of osu should please not get involved no matter the level of emotions involved because it always backfires.i am speaking from what has happened to some people. Just let the relationship go, look outside your ibo tribe for a life partner because you can not win the battle ahead. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: One Of Us Is Osu, My Family Say We Can't Get Married. by Nobody: 12:39am On Mar 13, 2013
What is Osu? Ogun state university?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 points to identify One Chance Ladies / 7 Sins Yo Mustn't Commit Against A Woman / Please Advice...He Wants To Call Off His Wedding!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.