Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,735 members, 7,962,381 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 09:58 AM

Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 (19832 Views)

Fashola Replies Ruben Abati On Jonathsns Visit On Robbery Day In Lekki / Photo: President Jonathan And Patience in their University days / Dame Patience Must Learn To Control Her Tongue - Abati On Rivers Crises(2010) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by awesomet1(m): 7:50pm On Jun 11, 2013
[size=18pt]Moderator why hide so many comments Just close the thread[/size]
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 11, 2013
[b][/b]who is ethically sick now, Abati or Ribadu?
abati is a gonner.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by SirVee(m): 8:25pm On Jun 11, 2013
[quote author=Delafruita]Dame Patience, our president’s darling wife

Sincerely, I really do not think it bad that Reuben Abati works for the govt in power. But my challenge is the manner with which he now discharges his duties. He vituperates! He does not constructively address issues! Reuben seems to have lost all manners of decorum as he has taken to revilling as his favourite past time. Like an attack dog, he barks at anyone that criticises his paymasters even when such criticisms is constructive and good for national development.

My greatest worry for him, is how he will integrate back to society after 'destroying' all he has built for himself over the years in 8 years (maximum). How will he face the men and crew of Patito gang?

2 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Sundayotong: 8:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
njazra: Abati is a man without honor. sad
Abati defends where he currently chop from, past abuses notwitstanding.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Mogidi: 9:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
HYPOCRITES SHOULD SHUT UP
[size=16pt]90% OF YOU CASTIGATING HIM WOULD DO EXACTLY THE SAME[/size]
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by SirVee(m): 9:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
Mogidi: HYPOCRITES SHOULD SHUT UP
[size=16pt]90% OF YOU CASTIGATING HIM WOULD DO EXACTLY THE SAME[/size]

Talk for yourself Mogidi! To be two-faced ain't easy!

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Mogidi: 9:11pm On Jun 11, 2013
SirVee:

Talk for yourself Mogidi! To be two-faced ain't easy!
Yeah right, you'd refuse an appointment from the presidency. If you truly believe less than 90% here would do the same then I've got a bridge to sell you. Another alternative is to go to Gbawe a guy with a planet to sell.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by dpresido(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
The man is a disgrace to Nigerian journalism! Shows how sycophantic and hypocritical some so called Nigerians would be. Am sure once his employers are done fooling him, they would finally throw him out to to where they grafted him in from. But that would have been too late for h
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by dpresido(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
The man is a disgrace to Nigerian journalism! Shows how sycophantic and hypocritical some so called Nigerians would be. Am sure once his employers are done fooling him, they would finally throw him out to to where they grafted him in from. But that would have been too late for him
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by brighter: 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
Please I have question : what manner of adminship is all these hidden post about? Y not delete the topic than hiding every post? Is this a prison yard where people are not allowed to air their view? When you apply rule also know that compliance intimates opposition & reasoning. Please allow people air their view, mind you most of these politicians are reading, allow them get public view on their perfomance or did they ask the admin to help cover their back.
This post is hidden.
This post is hidden.
This post is hidden
it makes the topic bored...
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Pukkah: 10:58pm On Jun 11, 2013
Gbawe:

grin grin grin Indeed. Okupe never pretended to be anything other than an empty crook searching up and down for what to eat. He has now 'hammered' with GEJ. Meanwhile Abati comes off worse with his previous utterances now coming back to ridicule his current insincere posture as a mouthpiece for an ultra-corrupt government.

Comparing the (in)consistency of Abati and Okupe reminds me of a saying by Aesop:

"A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him"
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Gbawe: 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
Pukkah:

Comparing the (in)consistency of Abati and Okupe reminds me of a saying by Aesop:

"A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him"

Absolutely. Okupe never pretended to be anything other than a hireling. Everyone knows precisely what to make of him. It is Abati who now has an image problem because of what he pretended to stand for in the past.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by gmcb: 11:16pm On Jun 11, 2013
Men........whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, whose glory is in their shame......phill 3:19
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Chidoxyl(m): 12:51am On Jun 12, 2013
Hiding people's post! What's d difference between d mode and Abati?
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by erinlakatabu: 6:10am On Jun 12, 2013
I still don't believe this Rueben Abati is the same Dr Rueben Abati I used to know.
The former was intelligent, incisive, he wrote thought provoking articles, witty, reasonable.
This other one, this other one is just an **** licker a toothless rabid dog, and that is really putting it mildly.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Fitzy4real(m): 7:02am On Jun 12, 2013
Mogidi:
Yeah right, you'd refuse an appointment from the presidency. If you truly believe less than 90% here would do the same then I've got a bridge to sell you. Another alternative is to go to Gbawe a guy with a planet to sell.

What you don't understand I'd that everyone here is angry with Mr. Abati for being a turncoat. If anyone of us gets a presidential appointment and starts pouting FG propaganda, no one will be bothered, but when it is someone like Abati, it is betrayal because he had a reputation as an honest person. nobody really bothers about what people like Dr. Okupe and Labaran Maku says because we all know that they are opportunists.

3 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Gbawe: 7:06am On Jun 12, 2013
Fitzy4real:

What you don't understand I'd that everyone here is angry with Mr. Abati for being a turncoat. If anyone of us gets a presidential appointment and starts pouting FG propaganda, no one will be bothered, but when it is someone like Abati, it is betrayal because he had a reputation as an honest person. nobody really bothers about what people like Dr. Okupe and Labaran Maku says because we all know that they are opportunists.

Simple.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by senatorbayor(m): 7:24am On Jun 12, 2013
Though it is certain that Dame patience will never query Oga Abati for this beatiful write ups cos she can't go through the stress of reading. My concern and my empathy for Abati is the lost of his loved profession which he can never go back to.He has chosen to go the way of Esau to satisfy his stomach to the good and memorable reputation he used couple of years to achieved.
Does it mean we don't have men of dignity?

2 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by bigboy3: 8:52am On Jun 12, 2013
whoever the moderator is, if you don't want clear views and sincere opinions abiout issues then its either you are compromised or Nairaland generally is compromised.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by bigboy3: 9:20am On Jun 12, 2013
Abati's case is just pathetic, I read an article recently by the former Publisher/editor of the Razor (defunct) Mr. Moshood, he made startling revelations about Nigerian Jornalists and past leaders (dead and alive). Most of these jornalists are jokers and what they think about is their pockets (same with most Nigerians). You can imagine the respected Abati of The Guardian Newspaper now a dummy, a man without honour.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by chrisosi: 9:56am On Jun 12, 2013
You can fool some people sometimes but you can never fool all the people all the time
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by jr101(m): 10:50am On Jun 12, 2013
Oh Abati! I dont really blame the man, i just pity him, d highest he can stay in aso rock is 8years, then he is coming back to meet us. He should know that Nigerians dont forget tinx easily, where is Aondooaka today, d former AGF that said yar adua can rule from anywhere in the world. People like him dont know d extent of the damage to their personality. Where is Femi Fani Kayode today

I know that d first thing he will do after leaving his job will be to release a book or memoir narrating his experience, just like Segun Adeniyi. I hope he will not be an accidental public spokesman (apologies to el rufai)
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by PEREP: 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2013
jr101: Oh Abati! I dont really blame the man, i just pity him, d highest he can stay in aso rock is 8years, then he is coming back to meet us. He should know that Nigerians dont forget tinx easily, where is Aondooaka today, d former AGF that said yar adua can rule from anywhere in the world. People like him dont know d extent of the damage to their personality. Where is Femi Fani Kayode today

I know that d first thing he will do after leaving his job will be to release a book or memoir narrating his experience, just like Segun Adeniyi. I hope he will not be an accidental public spokesman (apologies to el rufai)
Abati is testing his perception and people management skills and he must have learnt how easy it is to be on the driver's seat. He is used to pointing the accusing fingers and I can infer he is not fully ripe for the kind of job he is doing now. It is always easy to say 'You can't do it', 'You are clueless', 'You acted inappropriately' and many more in that light but very difficult to actually do it, show clues, say the right words at the right time and act appropriately as expected per time. Only time will tell for many of us and I hope when the opportunity to drive finally comes, we won't 'blow it' outrightly.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by IncomeTutor: 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
Forget about Reuben Abati. Let us think of
how to rescue Nigeria, as a nation, from all
our corrupt leaders who have sold our dear
country into modern day slavery of sorts.

We must not fail to leave a good legacy for
our children as an enlightened community of
brains and brawn.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by aniyphil: 6:17pm On Jun 12, 2013
means: Given the same circumstance, many of you, yes many of you, will do the same thing Dr Abati is doing. He had fought all the previous military governments through his columns in the Guardian even during the dare devil Gen. Abacha regime.
Life is in phases. He is in another phase now. He cannot continue to be a critic. Let him be.

Ok he "fought all previous military governments" . . .and also fought Yar Adua's government. I bet Abati has a different view about everything now even in the face of current insecurity, poverty et al. Read his post of September 4, 2009 below in The Guardian.

Portrait Of A Country As A Failed State
POST 04 SEPTEMBER 2009 LAST UPDATED ON 04 SEPTEMBER 2009 BY REUBEN ABATI

Posted by Reuben Abati on September 04, 2009

Portrait of a country as a failed state

By Reuben Abati

"WHY is there such a scarcity of good news in Nigeria? Bad leadership. Poverty. Ignorance. Impatience. Apathy. Alienation. Frustration. Wickedness. Hypocrisy.... And more. Many years ago, the buzz phrase in the original argument for a new world information order was that the reporting of Africa should focus more on the positive attributes and achievements of the people rather than the predictable stereotype of Africa as the world's worst basket case. We blamed the Western media for its racist mindset. We lamented the meanness of parachute journalists who jet into Africa for a few days, report all the dirty gutters, the bare-chested women, the fratricide and the poverty and present that to the rest of the world as the true face of Africa. Two or more trips later, and well-funded travels across African countries, some of those journalists ended up with tomes on Africa and became experts on African affairs!

Less indignant commentators asked for the development of local structures to deepen the capacity of local African media systems to compete in a world where information is all. I don't get to hear all of this now being trumpeted from the rooftops with the same ardour of old. At least in Nigeria, we may gradually be settling down to the cold fact that bad news may be all there is to tell in our public sphere. Yes, in the private sphere, people still organise weddings, loud funeral parties (after which the living tends to be worse off than the dead due to the weight of debts), house-warming parties (well, Nigerians like to warm/wash everything including the purchase of a used SUV four-wheel drive which Americans are shipping off due to high energy cost- we go wash am o), dedication of babies, birthdays, send forth parties: good news is made of such stuff in the privacy of individual lives.

Looked at closely, such good stories, so described, invariably point to one form of sadness or the other in private lives, and indeed the event may be a way of covering up other deficiencies, psychological and social. Never judge the goodness of the lives of Nigerians by the number of people who congregate at peppersoup joints every Friday evening (proclaiming Thank God, it is Friday) or the gaily dressed aso ebi crowd at weekend parties particularly in the South West whose Yoruba population has been described in one recent dictionary as "the fun-loving people of South-West Nigeria." They even hold wedding parties nowadays on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Lift the veil and look at the public sphere: bad news.

Democracy has not changed the tone of tnews in the public sphere. It is the same drone of dreariness and jeremiad, failures and aborted hopes. There is no point blaming the outsiders anymore. Foreign media channels have become favourite sources of expert commentary on the African, nay Nigerian condition. We quote Western journalists with such great concurrence. A negative comment on Nigeria on BBC or in the Economist, the Financial Times of London is immediately reproduced in the local media as gospel truth. Nobody is complaining about negative image and if there are some people still doing so, they are few indeed. Deep in their hearts, they know the truth that "this house has fallen," that the Nigerian state is in retreat, that all is not well here. In the age of the internet, and instant news, the apotheosis of the global village theory, Nigerians do not even have to worry so much about imbalance in the world information order, they are all over the internet and the blogosphere, lamenting the frustration in their lives. Nigerians curse, rave, rant, they abuse each other, they hold every other man responsible for their own woes. So much bile.

Reading the newspapers, sitting down at editorial discussions, engaging fellow compariots in debate, you wonder how so difficult it is to be a Nigerian, how so low life and living in Nigeria can be. It is a great wonder we are not all in psychiatric homes yet. It is three or four months to the end of the year, it is in vain that anyone can point to good news. Is it the endless strikes in the hospitals (which have resulted in needless deaths), or the strike by school teachers at all levels (which continue to disrupt the school calendar and the lives of students)? How about the lack of regular electricity and the high cost of diesel which has driven companies across the border or forced them to shut down, like the textile factories, resulting in job losses and greater social hardship? No end in sight to the Niger Delta crisis, with governments only managing to dance round the issues. Across the country, armed robbers, kidnappers, rapists and ritualists are on the prowl. Ten years ago we wrote on the bad state of Nigerian roads. The FRSC used to complain about the urgent need to revamp the roads in order to reduce carnage; last week, the FRSC said precisely the same thing, and yet in ten years, close to a trillion Naira has been spent on road audit, construction and maintenance. The roads are still bad. We are confronted with corporeal changelessness and worsening uncertainty.

Surprise: every Nigerian knows what is wrong. We don't need to wait for media headlines. We climb over each other to articulate the best solutions. A thinks he is wiser than B. C suspects D because he or she is of a different ethnic extraction or religious persuasion. The land has been overtaken by assassins at all levels; some carry daggers and guns, they complain about election results or religion and then kill others, the so-called educated ones engage in such bitter fights that make them no better than the Boko Haram zealots. The people blame their leaders. The leaders blame their followers. Even public officials go on television to complain that they are overwhelmed.

Every year, we say the same things: leadership is the problem, civil society should wake up, the Constitution must be reviewed, Nigeria is a failed state, it needs a revolution (yeah!), institutions need to be re-built, economic reform must focus on drivers of growth, proper federalism must be adopted, the Niger Delta question must be addressed. Let's line up all our leaders and give them the Rawlings treatment (yeah, yeah!). We look at the achievements of other countries and we draw parallels wondering why Nigeria is behaving like an slowpoke. We ask the media to do better. We ask that the development process must be pro-poor... we shout, we scream...And we put it all down to the lack of political will to do anything. Find that will, and all else will improve. We insist further that those who have looted the treasury should be guillotined. We say it. We scream it... In due course an important foreigner visits the country and comments on our failings and we all talk about how profound that is.

Of course there is the praying and fasting crowd. They fast during Lent. They fast during Ramadan. They can quote the Quran or the Bible with the facility of a parrot. They claim to know God. They go to umrah, hajj or they visit the Vatican and take photographs with the Pope! Many unemployed graduates have learnt to short-circuit the system: either set up a private business, or engage in internet scam (the most amusing being the case of one fellow who says he makes the fantasies of lonely old white women come true through phone and internet messages, and he soon fleeces them), or become an armed robber, or better still, a spiritualist (claim you have been called by God: Nothing impresses Nigerians more than claims of ability to see into the future and identify the enemies debarring your progress- every Nigerian is waging a war against enemies- real and imagined). Even the ones abroad occasionally flee from the enemies in the Western world: credit crunch, hunger, unemployment, terrible bills, humiliation, hopelessness, they return home only to be confronted by bigger enemies. Some of them stay back and join the struggle with enemies, but many return abroad, drifting from one uncertainty to the other, hoping that some day, Nigeria will become a country where they and their children and their own children can have a true sense of home.

And then in the midst of it all, one Nigerian suddenly wins an international award, and while some people applaud, others would sneer, and the event leads inexorably to the evil of comparison: he couldn't have excelled if he was still in Nigeria, and so the good news is pushed offshore. Football used to make us happy too, but now we can't even put a team together and we are not sure of anything with our over-aged players and unhappy coaches.

The months come and go, the year ends. Yar'Adua asks the MDAs to return their unspent budgets. We all go to the church, the mosque, and we wish each other a happy new year. The new year is a copy of the old. And we start all over. We search afresh for the missing political will...for the magic wand that will make our society efficient in the age of efficiency ...there are no life-threatening monsoons, typhoons, earthquakes, tsunami, or wild fires stopping us, only madmen and specialists.. We argue, we scream -all over again...we rationalise. And life continues."
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Rockyheight: 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2013
I am sure Abati knows he can no longer wear the toga of a social critic. In any case there are counless number of his likes around pretending to be what they are not.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by mbulela: 1:49am On Jun 13, 2013
Abati has no reason to fear.
He only needs to look at his predecessor and be comforted. See how easy it was to rehabilitate Segun Adeniyi? His beloved back page has been given to him and he continues to pontificate.Gullible fellows read his columns and comment. Even more gullible fellows bought his book with their hard cash. Nigerians forget easily and are easily deceived. Abati knows this and he will explain himself with a few articles. He has nothing to fear.
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by SANdos: 6:35am On Jun 16, 2013
Don't let Dame Patience see this o, or Uncle Reuben would lose his job.
cry embarassed
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 19, 2013
bump
Re: Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 by Saib4Jesus: 9:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
Some mother do have them!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Segun Showunmi: Atiku Won't Accept Cyber-bullying From Buhari's Handlers / Address By Buhari At APC Governors' Forum Meeting / Omokri: Obi Couldn't Reduce Poverty In Anambra Yet Wants To Reduce It Nationally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.