Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,236 members, 7,936,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 11:57 PM

Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today (19347 Views)

Breaking:- FG Sacks All Resident Doctors / Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today / Medical Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 1:32am On Jun 28, 2013
ikennahill:

Get a copy of the law establishing optometry inn the country, you can get it even online, also get a copy of the scheme of service of optometrists then you will see the work of an optometrist and not what you think their work should be.

@vinnyvinny
did you get that...so do that and make sure you get back to us
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 1:39am On Jun 28, 2013
omonnakoda: What exacly is a job "prescription" what does that mean
me sef weak o
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 1:54am On Jun 28, 2013
gmyguy: Maybe we should complain at the next UN assembly that doctors' salaries in the usa is way absurd and its affecting medical practice in the third world...i dont even earn upto 200k a month and somebody is calling me greedy and selfish. i better join dbanj, at least he earns more money and people like him

seriously that would have been a better calling for you...consider it seriously
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 1:58am On Jun 28, 2013
gmyguy: he is the one who started the topic you are misfiring about...the thread opener...and he is a med dr...what r u?residents dont set lines...

he is a resident doctor?..*smh*
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 3:03am On Jun 28, 2013
do your work and allow others do their...chikina
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 3:05am On Jun 28, 2013
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by eaglechild: 4:10am On Jun 28, 2013
on a good day:
do your work and allow others do their...chikina
How is asking for training facilities and funding preventing others from doing their work?
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by jpphilips(m): 9:40am On Jun 28, 2013
omonnakoda:
There is one unfortunate thing about debate in Nigeria w eoften personalize it.It is a contest to establish superiority,unfortunately. I really am not sure what my alleged offence is. I mentioned earlier that I am a doctor and many here say I am lying. With all respect to my teachers and mentors there is nothing to boast about being a doctor.It is a position of service which should be approached with humility,a rare commodity in modern Nigeria. Becoming a doctor is NOT WORTH BOASTING ABOUT. Really.In fact it is embarrassing when you have no money compared to others less gifted academically!!
There is a common myth that doctors are scientists,they are not !they are technicians(a debate for another thread) .A paramedic is another technician common in western countries ,when I was in Nigeria there was no such thing.Basically they are themain crew of ambulances and have skills like ;intubation,basic and advanced life support and general emergency care.They saved the life of Fabrice Muamba initially and then doctors took over. Everyone is important. Nigerians and Nigerian doctors have serious ego problems ,the need to dominate and lord it over everyone we see it with Jonathan Amaechi and the Nigerian doctor is worse. I have seen resident doctors with grey hair running to open the door for Oga consultant , bow and take his bag off him.He has failed several attempts at part 2 because Oga is annoyed with him etc etc that is the Nigerian psyche. Bitter ,bullying and bombastic with no progressive outlook sadly they have created many neophytes ,HERE, in their own image..............
There is nothing to write home about of the Nigerian doctor in Nigeria,Nothing!!

what is the debate about again?
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by jpphilips(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2013
omonnakoda: This thread is not about me .Who the hell are you to ask me what I do.?What relevance is it.People holding position of President in Nigeria utter stupid statements all the time and so the position I hold does not validate my opinion.You reason like an undergraduate

I do not need to prove anything and I cannot prove anything. Let us deal with the issue here which is that doctors,adults who earn probably the highest salaries in the public sector in Nigeria want the government to pay for further training for them to improve themselves and their financial prospects. In a perfect world this may not be bad but government does not do this for any other group in the country except maybe the military.why should they do it for doctors. My point is doctors should be prepared to make a financial sacrifice/contribution to their training and they can reap the VERY PERSONAL financial rewards afterwards. That is the issue ,let us debate that respectfully rather than engaging in the usual "doctors are the highest ever known" rhetoric or other abusive tirades which no one has a monopoly of. No one is saying it is not a good thing if resources are unlimited but where they are I think government will do better and the nation benefit more from training Teachers,Engineers and Community health workers than doctors who relatively are rich and can pay for their own training! Many of those here claiming to be doctors in Nigeria cannot even write good English and guess what for that very reason I do not doubt they are doctors. I meet them here all the time and I repeat as I have said severally most Nigeria doctors from the mid 90s to date cheated their way through WAEC JAMB and medical school. We all know this and this is our shame as a nation. When you have those kinds of characters in the profession what do you expect?

Why do you think it is justified for the Govt to train the military on both local and international courses but not the doctors?
if i should agree with your training argument, what of the area of equipment procurement? should the doctors purchase the ECG machines themselves too? while you attempt to answer that, know ye that every modern equipment demands at least a technical know how for one to be able to use it effectively.

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 10:35am On Jun 28, 2013
jp philips:

Why do you think it is justified for the Govt to train the military on both local and international courses but not the doctors?
if i should agree with your training argument, what of the area of equipment procurement? should the doctors purchase the ECG machines themselves too? while you attempt to answer that, know ye that every modern equipment demands at least a technical know how for one to be able to use it effectively.

The military are obliged to work for the government after the training if they do not they can be jailed or killed even. Doctors on the other hand receive training for their own benefit just like any other professional.If goverment does it for doctors why not engineers and lawyers and teachers etc.
The reason is simple resources are limited and so choices must be made/priorities set.
It is for every society to decide what are their training priorities given limited resources. This should be done through the political process and social debate not by coercive action of strikes etc. Or one group screaming we are the most important profession in the land. Let society decide and they have done!!Accept the verdict and move on
The issue of equipment is just an alibi. Nigeria is a poor and corrupt nation and the issue of funding is pervasive across Nigeria and not new.Doctors are not striking about equipment let us not deceive ourselves.They are striking for their training funding.Anyway there was a time when doctors genuinely did strike for equipment.I know because I was there and guess what Beko Ransome Kuti was jailed by Buhari and many Nigerians supported him. In so doing The Nation has chosen. doctors should protect their interests and I support that 1000% but spare us this hypocrisy that they are fighting for equipment.Anyway the government did spend good money purchasing equipment under Obasanjo but it can never be enough and there will always be leakages.
The more mature discussion should look at the bigger picture and how more private public partnerships can develop to make the sector more efficient.Government should hands off anything above a health centre and let doctors,nurses etc form companies and run their own hospital in a concessionary arrangement .My personal view is doctors like lawyers should not be government employees but that is another debate
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 28, 2013
omonnakoda:
The military are obliged to work for the government after the training if they do not they can be jailed or killed even. Doctors on the other hand receive training for their own benefit just like any other professional.If goverment does it for doctors why not engineers and lawyers and teachers etc.
The reason is simple resources are limited and so choices must be made/priorities set.
It is for every society to decide what are their training priorities given limited resources. This should be done through the political process and social debate not by coercive action of strikes etc. Or one group screaming we are the most important profession in the land. Let society decide and they have done!!Accept the verdict and move on
The issue of equipment is just an alibi. Nigeria is a poor and corrupt nation and the issue of funding is pervasive across Nigeria and not new.Doctors are not striking about equipment let us not deceive ourselves.They are striking for their training funding.Anyway there was a time when doctors genuinely did strike for equipment.I know because I was there and guess what Beko Ransome Kuti was jailed by Buhari and many Nigerians supported him. In so doing The Nation has chosen. doctors should protect their interests and I support that 1000% but spare us this hypocrisy that they are fighting for equipment.Anyway the government did spend good money purchasing equipment under Obasanjo but it can never be enough and there will always be leakages.
The more mature discussion should look at the bigger picture and how more private public partnerships can develop to make the sector more efficient.Government should hands off anything above a health centre and let doctors,nurses etc form companies and run their own hospital in a concessionary arrangement .My personal view is doctors like lawyers should not be government employees but that is another debate
doctors receive training to treat patients...will a heart transplant surgeon operate on himself. as a pharmacist or janitor however, you can self medicate or clean your house

you've been complaining about Doctor's salaries, Do you think the market woman can afford a private practitioner?

I have never worked for the government before, except during nysc...Government hospitals are mainly for the masses. Private is for middle class or elite patients. Govt can not hands-off, even in the great and mighty US of A.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 28, 2013
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by jpphilips(m): 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2013
author=omonnakoda

I know there is still a period of service for every officer where he has the choice to walk, if so, how is it different from the bond the doctors sign with the government after training?

It is for every society to decide what are their training priorities given limited resources. This should be done through the political process and social debate not by coercive action of strikes etc. Or one group screaming we are the most important profession in the land.

i agree completely with the coercion part, however, for a country whose mortality rate has increased drastically in a short period, isn't it wise for the Govt to beam its search light on the health sector and "prioritize" it differently from the other sectors as a matter of intervention?

though i am not an advocate of strike, can you kindly list two other Languages the Nigerian Govt understands?

The issue of equipment is just an alibi. Nigeria is a poor and corrupt nation and the issue of funding is pervasive across Nigeria and not new.Doctors are not striking about equipment let us not deceive ourselves.They are striking for their training funding

Unless you are the chairman, president or spokes person of NRDA, your reference to "Alibi" is mere speculation.

Anyways, there was a time when doctors genuinely did strike for equipment.I know because I was there and guess what Beko Ransome Kuti was jailed by Buhari and many Nigerians supported him. In so doing The Nation has chosen. doctors should protect their interests and I support that 1000% but spare us this hypocrisy that they are fighting for equipment.

there is no doubt how much history you have displayed in your previews post, as a reminder, Nigeria conducted an election in 1999 and ever since, we have never experienced any military coup, also Buhari is no longer the president of Nigeria though he played several return matches from 2003 till date without success.
kindly send congratulatory message to the kuti's family because beko has been released, do away with the newspaper archive in your office, using the Nigeria health sector scenario of 1984 to juxtapose the reality of 2013, is a very poor attempt.

Anyway the government did spend good money purchasing equipment under Obasanjo but it can never be enough and there will always be leakages.

I am very much aware of the procurement obasanjo did in 2002/2003, exactly 10yrs from now.
from what i have seen in some national hospitals, these equipments are still there but not functional. In your infinite wisdom, don't you think that incompetence must have played a major role in the break down of those equipments?
a case study was the explosion of a fibrillator in one of our health centers where the equipment was rated 110v.

the doctor on duty plugged it into the Nigerian wall socket of 220v, the rest was history, don't you think that if the doctor was trained on the use of step down AC converters, the fibulator would still be in service till date?
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2013
gmyguy: type it out now...abi you are too lazy to explain yourself

you can not even follow a simple link..*SMH*
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 1:30pm On Jun 28, 2013
eaglechild:
How is asking for training facilities and funding preventing others from doing their work?

facilities and funding for who? are doctors the only health care providers in the hospital,you are not allowing others do their job by using ur political position to downgrade them,stunt their growth,developement and chances of putting themselves into a more important person in the health care team,govt fund ur training,pay you highest and you are still embarking on strike to press home your selfish demand,...untill every health provider enjoys a level playing field in health delivery,this disharmony orchestrated by kuti and sustained by NMA will continue to linger and will finally consume us all
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 1:31pm On Jun 28, 2013
jp philips: author=omonnakoda

I know there is still a period of service for every officer where he has the choice to walk, if so, how is it different from the bond the doctors sign with the government after training?

i agree completely with the coercion part, however, for a country whose mortality rate has increased drastically in a short period, isn't it wise for the Govt to beam its search light on the health sector and "prioritize" it differently from the other sectors as a matter of intervention?

though i am not an advocate of strike, can you kindly list two other Languages the Nigerian Govt understands?

Unless you are the chairman, president or spokes person of NRDA, your reference to "Alibi" is mere speculation.

there is no doubt how much history you have displayed in your previews post, as a reminder, Nigeria conducted an election in 1999 and ever since, we have never experienced any military coup, also Buhari is no longer the president of Nigeria though he played several return matches from 2003 till date without success.
kindly send congratulatory message to the kuti's family because beko has been released, do away with the newspaper archive in your office, using the Nigeria health sector scenario of 1984 to juxtapose the reality of 2013, is a very poor attempt.

I am very much aware of the procurement obasanjo did in 2002/2003, exactly 10yrs from now.
from what i have seen in some national hospitals, these equipments are still there but not functional. In your infinite wisdom, don't you think that incompetence must have played a major role in the break down of those equipments?
a case study was the explosion of a fibrillator in one of our health centers where the equipment was rated 110v.

the doctor on duty plugged it into the Nigerian wall socket of 220v, the rest was history, don't you think that if the doctor was trained on the use of step down AC converters, the fibulator would still be in service till date?
Not sure how any of that is relevant to strike action
No I am not speculating we have seen it several times before.Every time the NARD go on strike they return after their wages and other benefits are sorted aeven though the ostensible reason was "facilities" and no facilities are provided before they call off their strike so this is not new. The idea I need to be the president of NARD to deduce that is childish logic.
I really do not know what you mean by "bond" is that a Nigerian word for contract .
Can you tell us what the terms of this so called "bond" are. because that is what sounds like speculation to me. Many Nigeria doctors trained up to Professor level left for Saudi and elsewhere in the 80s and 90s with no consequences so please provide some evidence of this "BOND" or are you talking about James Bond
do you honestly believe doctors will change our mortality rate. I am almost certain Nigerian doctors contribute to it. Our mortality will increase exponentially just by providing clean water and sanitation. Little to do with doctors!
Your discourse on difibrillators just shows you are young and do not have the perspective to see the bigger picture. You think like an undergraduate

Health or rather lack of it in Nigeria is not about equipment(defibrillators etc),doctors or nurses.
The main problems are water,sanitation and nutrition + immunization. It is possible to eliminate malaria in large areas with a fraction of the health budget simply by targeting mosquito breeding sites.We do not need doctors for that
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by cxm6: 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2013
been reading thru posts made by some folks here and i cant help but pity their ignorance. And since when did doctors become administrators to lead?...wht qualifications do they have to 'head' the hospital...i stay in the US..and in all the hospitals i have been to...none ...i repeat none is headed by a doctor.!. Go find out they are headed by hospital administrators. Docs hv a lot on their hands to worry abt much more to head a hospital.i blame our leaders past and present who come here to get treatmnt and not learn sumtin to better our country. So please all the docs or doc lovers ranting thrash and displaying high levels of igorance......u r not more imptnt dan even d cleaner in ur clinics....so stop playing God and serve!. U took the hippocratic oath remember?..if u feel u r not appreciated ...go take anoder profession like sewing or sumtin
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 28, 2013
cxm6: been reading thru posts made by some folks here and i cant help but pity their ignorance. And since when did doctors become administrators to lead?...wht qualifications do they have to 'head' the hospital...i stay in the US..and in all the hospitals i have been to...none ...i repeat none is headed by a doctor.!. Go find out they are headed by hospital administrators. Docs hv a lot on their hands to worry abt much more to head a hospital.i blame our leaders past and present who come here to get treatmnt and not learn sumtin to better our country. So please all the docs or doc lovers ranting thrash and displaying high levels of igorance......u r not more imptnt dan even d cleaner in ur clinics....so stop playing God and serve!. U took the hippocratic oath remember?..if u feel u r not appreciated ...go take anoder profession like sewing or sumtin
another sore basher...Is the title of this thread, Drop your Doctor-bashing?!...so many sore losers...someone registered today, solely to bash! wow

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 3:16pm On Jun 28, 2013
Let me give you a window into Nigerian HEALTH politics.
If doctors go on strike EVENTUALLY the hospital wards will close.If nurses go on strike IMMEDIATELY the wards will close.
Many years ago under the military government the nurses went on strike ,for months, about 4-5,Government ignored them,ignored the patients and finally the nurses cracked and returned to work,humiliated.The doctors who were not on strike but did not do any work were fully paid for the entire period ,nurses were not. Of course the nurses claimed to be striking for facilities toobut were ignored. I believe they were out for their pocket(as is their right).Since then other professionals have never trusted doctors
The fact remains that the hospitals could not function without them(nurses) as is the case with doctors.THE MAIN DIFFERENCE it is hard for nurses to earn a living outside of government. That is the advantage doctors have but yet still continue to enslave themselves to the government.Doctors should find a way to achieve less than 1% government employment of their total population.The market is there in Nigeria.Rather than be employees of government they should be partners/contractors.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 28, 2013
If doctors cheated to pass exams what about other professional. Corruption is affecting quality of graduates in nigeria. Just as you have half-baked doctors, we have poorly trained pharmacist, nurses, medical lab scientists etc. That is national problem.
Doctors are not highest paid civil servants. NNPC workers, soldiers and judges are highest paid govt workers.
In-service training is normal thing in civil service for all workers. Other workers do not pay for their training. Just apply for study, get approval and proceed. Nothing wrong in training doctors. All benefit from it. Do u know how much usa govt spend on health?
It is vital for govt to equip teaching hospitals to manage complex case not for malaria and typhoid. Then resident doctors would learn.
omonnakoda: This thread is not about me .Who the hell are you to ask me what I do.?What relevance is it.People holding position of President in Nigeria utter stupid statements all the time and so the position I hold does not validate my opinion.You reason like an undergraduate

I do not need to prove anything and I cannot prove anything. Let us deal with the issue here which is that doctors,adults who earn probably the highest salaries in the public sector in Nigeria want the government to pay for further training for them to improve themselves and their financial prospects. In a perfect world this may not be bad but government does not do this for any other group in the country except maybe the military.why should they do it for doctors. My point is doctors should be prepared to make a financial sacrifice/contribution to their training and they can reap the VERY PERSONAL financial rewards afterwards. That is the issue ,let us debate that respectfully rather than engaging in the usual "doctors are the highest ever known" rhetoric or other abusive tirades which no one has a monopoly of. No one is saying it is not a good thing if resources are unlimited but where they are I think government will do better and the nation benefit more from training Teachers,Engineers and Community health workers than doctors who relatively are rich and can pay for their own training! Many of those here claiming to be doctors in Nigeria cannot even write good English and guess what for that very reason I do not doubt they are doctors. I meet them here all the time and I repeat as I have said severally most Nigeria doctors from the mid 90s to date cheated their way through WAEC JAMB and medical school. We all know this and this is our shame as a nation. When you have those kinds of characters in the profession what do you expect?
Regarding ego and abuse in medical training,it is cultural thing and is more common in south west.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 28, 2013
If doctors cheated to pass exams what about other professional. Corruption is affecting quality of graduates in nigeria. Just as you have half-baked doctors, we have poorly trained pharmacist, nurses, medical lab scientists etc. That is national problem.
Doctors are not highest paid civil servants. NNPC workers, soldiers and judges are highest paid govt workers.
In-service training is normal thing in civil service for all workers. Other workers do not pay for their training. Just apply for study, get approval and proceed. Nothing wrong in training doctors. All benefit from it. Do u know how much usa govt spend on health?
It is vital for govt to equip teaching hospitals to manage complex case not for malaria and typhoid. Then resident doctors would learn.

Regarding ego and abuse in medical training,it is cultural thing and is more common in south west.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 28, 2013
Mind u ur families may be victims. It is even better let the fire consume all. The problew we do not appreciate our position life. To me cleaners are most impt workers in hospital.
on a good day:

facilities and funding for who? are doctors the only health care providers in the hospital,you are not allowing others do their job by using ur political position to downgrade them,stunt their growth,developement and chances of putting themselves into a more important person in the health care team,govt fund ur training,pay you highest and you are still embarking on strike to press home your selfish demand,...untill every health provider enjoys a level playing field in health delivery,this disharmony orchestrated by kuti and sustained by NMA will continue to linger and will finally consume us all
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 10:12pm On Jun 28, 2013
Laalamed: Mind u ur families may be victims. It is even better let the fire consume all. The problew we do not appreciate our position life. To me cleaners are most impt workers in hospital.

the problem affecting my family or urs should not be our pry concern. our main concern should be how to make sure everybody does thier job and can be held responsible should anything go wrong. A doctor is an expert in diagnosis,with lil knowledge in pharmacy,nursing,lab and so on,a pharmacist is concerned with anything drug and is an expert in that area,with lil knowledge in diagnosis,nursing etc,s
the lab is also an expert,so is the nurse, then how can doctor be doing his main work,and at this time claim the one of lab scientist and nurses, and pharmacist,while they are there as expert, the
lil knowledge one profession has about the other profession does not make better than them,buh was only ment as an alternative should d concern professioj not be available,so my doctor friends needs to learn this,it is very simple.Every profession must be allowed to exist without bullying and threats from other professions
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 29, 2013
Every health worker is important. Even the cleaners are more than all workers combined and are given little regards. The problem with nigeria is we do not appeciate our role in any setting. Envy others always. Doctors make diagnosis and prescribe drugs if pharmacist are not comfortable with drugs combination he communicates with drugs so things would be sorted out. There is no anywhere in the world where pharmacists change doctors prescription. Why? Pharmacists do not have access to case note and at time diagnosis. Pharmacists have a lot to do in drug manufacturing not fighting for irrelevancies in hospital. Can doctors fight over supremacy of pharmacists in drug companies? NO. For med lab scientists i think there are a lot of things for them to do without even fighting pathologists in hospital. There is area of biomedical engineering for them to explore and become kings there. The area is till green in nigeria. For me doctors and nurses have no where to go. Hospital their is home and domain. It is doctors and nurses that started hospital. Alchemists or pharmacists were invited later. Doctors pioneer laboratory services and train lab attendants now advance to med lab scientists. Also earlier doctors train imaging technician now radiograhers. I know medical field is evolving more allied health professions would evolve in nearby future. What i know is that world is too big and can contain all of us. Nurses should not push doctors out of ward, theatre or clinic and doctors should know nurses are custodians of these places. Pathologists and med lab scientists have no where to go. Laboratory is their domain. They should share responsibities in spirit of love. Afterall pathologists started laboratory medicine. Radiologist and radiographers should know their limits. Their job descriptions are different. Theatre nurses should not claim to be surgeons. Opthamologist, optometrist and optician should workas a team to ensure better vision for all. Medicine is international profession. Let us copy well. There a lot of rooms in the cloud.
on a good day:

the problem affecting my family or urs should not be our pry concern. our main concern should be how to make sure everybody does thier job and can be held responsible should anything go wrong. A doctor is an expert in diagnosis,with lil knowledge in pharmacy,nursing,lab and so on,a pharmacist is concerned with anything drug and is an expert in that area,with lil knowledge in diagnosis,nursing etc,s
the lab is also an expert,so is the nurse, then how can doctor be doing his main work,and at this time claim the one of lab scientist and nurses, and pharmacist,while they are there as expert, the
lil knowledge one profession has about the other profession does not make better than them,buh was only ment as an alternative should d concern professioj not be available,so my doctor friends needs to learn this,it is very simple.Every profession must be allowed to exist without bullying and threats from other professions
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 2:28am On Jun 29, 2013
Laalamed: If doctors cheated to pass exams what about other professional. Corruption is affecting quality of graduates in nigeria. Just as you have half-baked doctors, we have poorly trained pharmacist, nurses, medical lab scientists etc. That is national problem.
In service training is normal thing for all workers? What a ridiculous statement!! what is residency Please tell us
Residency is a training programme from A-Z,essentially an apprenticeship NOT a job. It is a training post on a FIXED TERM contract whose objective is to achieve a further qualification. Those residents at Igbobi will no get that experience anywhere else.This is done at great expense to the employer already incomparable to anyone else in government but the doctors are asking for more. There is no way one can compare training received in a training position to training given to workers doing their job. There is no comparison. Imagine an accounting trainee asking his boss to pay for ICAN for him is it not "vunny"??

The residents are JUST LIKE STUDENTS doing a degree THEY ARE NOT workers and only a tiny number of residents end up working for government.As things are government is already paying for most of their training
If government has money to equip hospitals for complex cases fine.But dealing with malaria and typhoid are a greater prioririty when resources are scarce as is the case in Nigeria.
NNPC workers are NOT government employees. Doctors earn more than other government employees including soldiers and judges
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by eaglechild: 4:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
In service training is normal thing for all workers? What a ridiculous statement!! what is residency Please tell us
Residency is a training programme from A-Z,essentially an apprenticeship NOT a job. It is a training post on a FIXED TERM contract whose objective is to achieve a further qualification. Those residents at Igbobi will no get that experience anywhere else.This is done at great expense to the employer already incomparable to anyone else in government but the doctors are asking for more. There is no way one can compare training received in a training position to training given to workers doing their job. There is no comparison. Imagine an accounting trainee asking his boss to pay for ICAN for him is it not "vunny"??

The residents are JUST LIKE STUDENTS doing a degree THEY ARE NOT workers and only a tiny number of residents end up working for government.As things are government is already paying for most of their training
If government has money to equip hospitals for complex cases fine.But dealing with malaria and typhoid are a greater prioririty when resources are scarce as is the case in Nigeria.
NNPC workers are NOT government employees. Doctors earn more than other government employees including soldiers and judges
Why do you come to a public forum to disseminate lies.
Resident doctors do the bulk of the work in any teaching hospital worldwide.
Why then does a hospital get grounded when they go on strike if they are just spectators.
A senior registrar can run a unit in the absence of the consultant.
Do you wish for a matron to earn higher than a consultant neurosurgeon?
I really don't get your frustration here.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2013
eaglechild:
Why do you come to a public forum to disseminate lies.
Resident doctors do the bulk of the work in any teaching hospital worldwide. Apprentices do the bulk of the work in most professions but the bosses supervise and still carry responsibility !!
Why then does a hospital get grounded when they go on strike if they are just spectators.
A senior registrar can run a unit in the absence of the consultant.
Do you wish for a matron to earn higher than a consultant neurosurgeon?
I really don't get your frustration here.
Guy calm down and be civil. I will not answer questions about what I have not said so stop conjuring up stories.
What lies ? The issue here is not what residents do or do not do.
Residents do not have any patients in their own name but treat their bosses patients under his supervision and he is responsible for what they do.
What kind of contract do they have ? Is it a contract for service or for training? Is it a pensionable appointment.They are appointed for X number of years whether they pass therir exams or not and then they quit. It is an APPRENTICESHIP period!! Distinguish a resident from even a Hospital grade or a staff grade doctor whose contract is PERMANENT and pensionable or even the Hospital porter the same permanent contract till retirement.

Residents are trainees so I don't know what you are trying to say. Their contract is just like that of a House Officer,though longer, a training post all the same
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by eaglechild: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2013
on a good day:

Don't spread false information.
The third MB exam is Pharmacology and Pathology which includes laboratory postings in all the essential laboratory medicine.
There is also a residency programme in Medical microbiology, Chemical Pathology, Histopathology, Haematology which are the core of Laboratory Medicine.
There is also residency in Therapeutics and clinical pharmacology.
I don't understand what you gain by misinforming the public.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by eaglechild: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
Guy calm down and be civil. I will not answer questions about what I have not said so stop conjuring up stories.
What lies ? The issue here is not what residents do or do not do.
Residents do not have any patients in their own name but treat their bosses patients under his supervision and he is responsible for what they do.
What kind of contract do they have ? Is it a contract for service or for training? Is it a pensionable appointment.They are appointed for X number of years whether they pass therir exams or not and then they quit. It is an APPRENTICESHIP period!! Distinguish a resident from even a Hospital grade or a staff grade doctor whose contract is PERMANENT and pensionable or even the Hospital porter the same permanent contract till retirement.

Residents are trainees so I don't know what you are trying to say. Their contract is just like that of a House Officer,though longer, a training post all the same
Please do not modify my posts when you quote me.
That is cheap.
Half truths are lies. You said resident doctors are not workers, i corrected you on that.
If you refer to my previous post remember i said resident doctors have a limited time to complete their training after which they are expected to leave or continue if offered appointment.
This is unlike ANY OTHER medical profession employed in the hospital with a permanent practicing license.
That is why they agitate for better funding and equipment for their training which may span from 4 to 8 years depending on the specialty.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 5:09pm On Jun 30, 2013
eaglechild:
The third MB exam is Pharmacology and Pathology which includes laboratory postings in all the essential laboratory medicine.
There is also a residency programme in Medical microbiology, Chemical Pathology, Histopathology, Haematology which are the core of Laboratory Medicine.
What does any of that have to do with Pharmacy Do doctors get any training in handling medicines/poisons ??
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by omonnakoda: 5:13pm On Jun 30, 2013
eaglechild: Please do not modify my posts when you quote me.
That is cheap.
Half truths are lies. You said resident doctors are not workers, i corrected you on that.
If you refer to my previous post remember i said resident doctors have a limited time to complete their training after which they are expected to leave or continue if offered appointment.
This is unlike ANY OTHER medical profession employed in the hospital with a permanent practicing license.
That is why they agitate for better funding and equipment for their training which may span from 4 to 8 years depending on the specialty.

251. eaglechild: Quote Post
They are not workers they are apprentices. They cannot treat patients in their own name or independently but ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION. What is a permanent practising licence. Young man please be quiet and stop talking rubbish.
If we accept that they are training then the issue of strike should not come up.Why do they strike more than the consultants who are the REAL EMPLOYEES
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2013
eaglechild:

you have just displayed how ignoramous and egocentric you can be,so for the mere. fact that you did 6months or so pharmacology makes you better than a pharmacist that did it for over four years,your shallow reasoning does not you allow reason that mere laboratort posting does not make equal to the scientist, you need to understand that you field is diagnosis,stick to it and stop sending our loved ones and friends who come to the hospital as patients to early grave with your shallow knowledge of other professions and your "i know it all" attitude bcecause you do not know it all

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Gain Weight And How To Get Big In The Gym / Remedy To Ease Drunkenness. / Help! Addiction Has Taken Everything...

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.