Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,930 members, 7,959,938 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? (3565 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) / Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) Weekly Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by iamswizz(m): 12:09pm On Aug 14, 2013
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2013
ha na ko BF cool
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by IboBoyNuel(m): 12:15pm On Aug 14, 2013
seun my mannest man, i know say where you dey dey read dis thread u go don dey shine teeth by now. grin
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by redcliff: 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2013
[size=14pt]nah. seun is too reclusive to take the company public. Besides Facebook did not turn around after they did theirs [/size]
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by PStacks(m): 12:37pm On Aug 14, 2013
appleton: Hello everyone,
I've been brain stroming lately and thought of the possibility of Nairaland becoming the 1st Forum in Africa to be listed in the stock market.

Do you see it coming in the nearest future and in what way would it affect the way we view online business in Nigeria?

Why not and if not?

Just get professionals to handle the enlistment for you.. It might be a bit too early tho! But face book got enlisted on the Newyork Stock exchange at $27/Share and I think its way above $36/share as at the last time I checked.. Just make sure the brokerage and other institution to handle the enlistment don't do a shuddy job. People could cash in on this piece of information and do exactly what they did to Femi Otedola on AP shares.. That incidence alone dropped Femi Otedola from being a Billionaire to a Millionaire and since then, the poor guy has never attained Billionaire status again but a millionaire, I think femi's networth should be around $550Million dollarz now I'm not too sure but verifyable.. Single handedly AP shares crumbled Femi Otedola, learn from peoples mistakes and there's never a problem with Nairaland going Public, just that if it were me, I'l follow the Mike Adenuga Business Model.. Everything would remain private and mine alone but the call is yours..
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by WildChild00(m): 12:38pm On Aug 14, 2013
I think Nairaland.com can be listed, thats is if all things been equal, investors are meant to come in and invest, as it is currently, I dont think the own wants anybody, and many not be thinking of going public @ the moment.
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by WildChild00(m): 12:41pm On Aug 14, 2013
Topic moved out of front page, perhaps by website owner....lol
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by PStacks(m): 12:43pm On Aug 14, 2013
redcliff: [size=14pt]nah. seun is too reclusive to take the company public. Besides Facebook did not turn around after they did theirs [/size]

Who told you Facebook didn't turn around? Get your facts right.. Don't you know how mush burden was taken off Mark Zuckerberg? Do you know the comfort that comes with using Other people's money to run business. Or u haven't heard OPM B4? Do you know the sharp practices you can involve in when you are public? If anything happen the owner is safe but share holders bears the brunt, do you know how much Dangote has been able to raise from the public to further his own personal course and declare just a portion as dividends for public to share while he holds the major chunck.. When there is profits, its for us, and when there are losses, its for Share holders alone.. It has its merits and de-merits. Don't say facebook didn't turn around.. You aren't there at Silicon Valley to know what goes on there or in Newyork..
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by redcliff: 1:10pm On Aug 14, 2013
P.Stacks:

Who told you Facebook didn't turn around? Get your facts right.. Don't you know how mush burden was taken off Mark Zuckerberg? Do you know the comfort that comes with using Other people's money to run business. Or u haven't heard OPM B4? Do you know the sharp practices you can involve in when you are public? If anything happen the owner is safe but share holders bears the brunt, do you know how much Dangote has been able to raise from the public to further his own personal course and declare just a portion as dividends for public to share while he holds the major chunck.. When there is profits, its for us, and when there are losses, its for Share holders alone.. It has its merits and de-merits. Don't say facebook didn't turn around.. You aren't there at Silicon Valley to know what goes on there or in Newyork..

[size=13pt]yea "other people's money" Well comment was based on the initial outcome of the IPO. I knew it plummeted at the initial phase. didn't follow it up. I just presumed. but i still don't think seun would like to do this tho.[/size]
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by Dbeliever(m): 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2013
I have to read the terms and conditions before having to buy any thing shares. Though a don't any threat of nairaland collapsing any day. Infact its a good one.
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by deenee: 2:04pm On Aug 14, 2013
Peking order theory in finance connotes that most business owners prefer to use equity as a last resort of financing. Typically, they prefer to inject their own capital first, then consider debt financing as the business expands and when it is no longer feasible to use debt, equity is considered as a last alternative.

In this regard and with reference to the topic, several scenarios can play out

Listing Narialand on the stock exchange has its own pros and cons. If listed, Nairaland will now be owned by external investors (depending on the shareholding structure). This means that it could be turned to a “lean mean money making machine” (it is a money making machine now but with limited potentials IMO). However, once it goes public, ROI will be the main topic of discourse especially for contemporary investors who are always eager reap bountiful returns on their investment

Secondly, it can be a cheap way to source for funding to embark on some strategic expansion drive (the “FB IPO” comes to mind) and for this to happen a lot has to be spent on awareness, branding and packaging to make the website a good sell to investors. Assets (tangible and intangible) have to be valued, cash and profit projections made etc etc
One merit of considering the equity alternative is that there is no moral obligation to pay dividend to shareholders (ordinary shareholders) and there is no punitive measure for this( the Daar Comm, Cap Oil and Gas, Wema Bank etc etc examples come to mind). Unlike with debt where interest payments have to be made on a periodic basis to the debt financiers

Overall, the entry requirements for public listing on the NSE will also be considered and based on the information at disposal (which is very limited), I doubt if the Nairaland can at this moment meet the eligibility criteria (this claim is subject to debate as Nairaland is still a privately held , closely knit business model).

Personally, I am also privy to and aware that sometime in the past, a couple of mouth watering offers (via capital injection and PE funding) was turned down by the owner and quite frankly I would do same if in his shoes.
Finally, I think we should all enjoy the magnanimous generosity of the owner who around 2004-2005 brought his dream of creating one of the best website in this part of the continent to reality thereby providing leeway for numerous people to express their opinions on a broad range of subjects with minimal restriction and almost free of charge!

Just my two cents
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by Dbeliever(m): 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2013
Yes nairaland has a very strong affinity to stand. One thing that makes people to be afraid of buying shares is the probability of possible collapse of such companies or its equivalent.
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by psky: 2:20pm On Aug 14, 2013
datChelseaBoy: [b]Nairaland being listed in the NSE is an illusion. How much is Nairaland worth? At most 2 million dollars. Compare this with blogs and sites like Pinterest, Mashable, the Daily Beast and forums like Yahoo and Answers.com and you will see that Nairaland is way behind and still has a long way to go.

Nairaland in its present state is in need of serious investment. I don't think that Seun is doing enough to promote it to a global brand. I think he is pretty comfortable running the site from his bedroom while others are busy writing business proposals and obtain loans for expansion.

How many unique visitors can Nairaland boast of in a month? Is it up to a million? How many members does Nairaland have? Just over 1.1 million I guess. A typical Nairalander (me inclusive) has 3 or 4 accounts alone ("if you ban me today I will open another account tomorrow syndrome"wink. I for one have 6 accounts - 3 dormant and 3 active. When you divide the 1.1 million by four you will be getting something like 300, 000. Now subtract those that make use of their accounts once in a year and the figure falls to somewhere around 150-200k. This is in a country that has more than 40 million internet users.

You can see that the figures are not as impressive as they sound. So my advice to Seun is to buckle up. [/b]

Spot on mate, spot on.
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by datChelseaBoy: 2:20pm On Aug 14, 2013
Seun, why was this thread removed from the frontpage? Are you afraid of criticisms?
Re: Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 14, 2013
I dont think the thread owner knows what he his talking about

Nairaland have less than 250,000 member , kindly forget that over 1.1million you see there and seun is even aware if this
Now calculate it yourself if all the monthly ads in this forum can pay the following people

Issusing house

Stock broker

Reporting accountant

Investor relations

Solicitors

Receiving bank

Underwriters

Registrars

Trustees

Moderators

You may think you are praying for seun but in actual fact you are wishing him high blood pressure and that can lead to strock

Next time brainstorm on how you can be making little little dollars online and allow seun to manage what he already have

Funny guy pikin still dey try to crowl amd all of a sudden you want am to dey run like usien bolt ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ozc Smart Chain / Which Investment Can I Do With #100,000 / Travel Abroad Sponsorship Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.