Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,959 members, 7,963,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 02:27 AM

Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. (1291 Views)

Who Is The Greatest Boxer Of All-time Muhammad Ali Or Manny Pacquiao. A Debate / CNN: Is Azumah Nelson Africa's Greatest Boxer? / Greatest Boxer Of All Time: Tyson, Ali Or Marciano? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 2:33pm On Jun 07, 2008
Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather is retiring at only 31, the man was supposed to fight Oscar de la Hoya for an 8 figure pay and we were expecting a fight with contenders Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito, now he is retiring. He says that he is retiring because his heart is not in it anymore, this leaves a lot of fans angry at his decision. Let's hope he un-retires like he did 2 years ago.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3429729
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Novacaine(m): 2:58pm On Jun 07, 2008
This is so wrong.Floyd Mayweather the greatest boxer of all time!! Hell naah shocked.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by texazzpete(m): 3:13pm On Jun 07, 2008
davidif:

Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather is retiring at only 31, the man was supposed to fight Oscar de la Hoya for an 8 figure pay and we were expecting a fight with contenders Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito, now he is retiring. He says that he is retiring because his heart is not in it anymore, this leaves a lot of fans angry at his decision. Let's hope he un-retires like he did 2 years ago.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3429729

Haba, why be so selfish?
this guy has given his all to boxing for some time, but recently he hasn't had his heart in it. He's 31 years old and he wants to move on. As he's said, he can't keep putting the happiness of selfish fans over his own happiness.

na so una convince Okocha to stay on until Hull finally sack am. Why Nigerians do not leave while the ovation is loudest beats me.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 3:56pm On Jun 07, 2008
Novacaine
He is the greatest fighter of all time, the guy has accomplished everything they asked of him, what more do you want him to do end up like Ali?
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Novacaine(m): 4:10pm On Jun 07, 2008
@davidif
You have got it twisted!I dont have any problems with him retiring i have problems with you calling him a the Greatest Boxer of all time
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by tosinadeda: 4:18pm On Jun 07, 2008
greatest boxer my foot
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 4:53pm On Jun 07, 2008
did you ever watch him fight, tosinadeda, if no please be quiet.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by tosinadeda: 5:12pm On Jun 07, 2008
davidif:

did you ever watch him fight, tosinadeda, if no please be quiet.

u dey crase!!!!!!
he isnt and will never be the greatest
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by SeanT21(f): 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2008
He is a good boxer but he is not a Tyson or Ali.

he is the greatest boxer of our generation.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Novacaine(m): 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2008
Pretty boy Floyd is not the greatest boxer of all time that is a very preposterous statement.

With people like
Ali
Rocky
Tyson
Lennox

Floyd is still down the line he is a great boxer but not the greatest
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 9:08pm On Jun 12, 2008
This guy beat everybody (who was anybody in boxing, unlike Rock Marciano) and he went undefeated which Lewis, Clay, Tyson did not even manage to do, what more do you guys want him to do? walk on water? Just admit it guys, you people know nothing about boxing and never knew who Floyd Mayweather was especially the guys screaming about Mike Tyson and Cassius Clay, Mike Tyson's career fizzled before you could say Jackie Robinson. None of you; i repeat NONE ever watched Cassius Clay fight and you guys are just pouting about how great he was, proclaiming yourself to be the greatest of all time does not necessarily mean you're the greatest. Also, being the most popular fighter does not make you the best or else Mike Tyson would be the greatest. Lennox Lewis fought nobody, heck, the guy even lost to Hasim Rahman (Yes, Hasim Rahman of all people) and severall others. Ali, lost to Leon spinks, Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Larry Holmes so you guys who know nothing about boxing and Floyd Mayweather should just keep your opinions to yourselves.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by wormedup(m): 7:52am On Jun 13, 2008
without any doubts, Floyd Mayweather is the best of all time !!!
anyone who thinks otherwise is at best, warped ! tongue
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Uche2nna(m): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2008
Apart from being a great fighter , he is also a loud mouth. Which kind of makes him interesting  grin However, I don't know about him being the greatest fighter. I would give this to him tho, he is quick, very quick with his punches.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Esss(m): 8:24pm On Jul 04, 2008
Greatest boxer my ass!! angry

R. Kelly is the world's greatest. tongue
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Novacaine(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2008
@davidif
You are no boxing expert the folks that voted Mohammed Ali as the greatest boxer know why they did so! even Mayweather would not say this rubbish you simply cannot compare what the likes of Ali,Tyson and Lennox have done to the game to pretty boy Floyd its absolute LUDACRIS
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by ritchboy(m): 7:05pm On Jul 05, 2008
Mayweather d G.O.A.T?
Thats like calling c.ronaldo the greatest footballer of all time. grin
<aint it shocking d things u read on nairaland>
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by Novacaine(m): 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2008
What some people type on NL makes you go postal sometimes comparing Muhammad Ali to Floyd Mayweather
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by lailai2(m): 11:40pm On Jul 05, 2008
a lot of novice boxing fans here, mayweather is surely the best of our time but the number he'll be in all-time ranking is still up for debate but he's definitely not GOAT
ever heard of sugar ray robinson, try and watch some videos if u havent. thats definitely the GOAT
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 3:31pm On Jul 06, 2008
did you guys read my posts
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 3:48pm On Jul 06, 2008
That's the problem with a lot of Nigerians, we read a lot of hand me down stories about athletes who have been immortalized by the press and we simply take it whole heartedly and believe it desperately without being open minded. Muhammed Ali has been immortalized by the press and Hollywood simply because he was a media darling for his big mouth and TV personality that's why everybody has bought into the hype that he was the greatest of all time, meanwhile someone like Pretty Boy Floyd who has not translated the sport of boxing to become a cultural icon is now being put down. Pretty Boy Floyd lost to NOBODY while fighting great opponents, he beat everybody they gave him unlike Ali, who lost 6 (SIX shocked shocked shocked) times.

In response to ritchboy,
What i just said applies C. Ronaldo also, right from when we've been young we have been told that Pele is the GOAT without questioning it. We sincerely hold this truths in our hearts like religion and saying anything else would simply be blasphemy despite the fact that none of us ever EVER watched the guy play (documentary's don't count because anybody could look good in a documentary). Well my friend i can honestly tell you this that if Pele played today, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand would put him there back pockets. Yes, the man scored over a thousand goals but who wouldn't if they were playing in the united states football league in the 70's, i am sure i would have scored at least 30 goals in one season ha ha ha. Also, there is the myth that the man won 3 world cups despite the fact that he only played in the finals in '58 and only played in there opening game of '62. If C.Ronaldo played in the same era with Pele, trust me we wouldn't even be be arguing about this, its like comparing George Best to C. Ronaldo.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by tosinadeda: 12:47am On Jul 07, 2008
na y the guy come chicken out greatest ko greatest ni!
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by lailai2(m): 1:33am On Jul 07, 2008
davidif, i dont think u are an avid boxin fan, the GOAT in boxing in never argued based on undefeatability
boxing is a stylist sport, the main criteria include
In-ring Performance which is in retrospect of quality of opponents
Achievements
Dominance
Mainstream Appeal

even if u wanna argue based on undefeatability only, mayweather lost not once in 32 fights, julio chavez lost 5 times in 104 fights, sugar ray lost 19 times in 179 and most of their losses was when they were old and past their limit, they continued fighting cos of the love for the game unlike mayweather who is more careful cos of his record, talkin about in-ring performance, mayweather comes into the class of inner-appeal-careful-style which is wise but is second to inner-and-outer-apeal-careful-and-careless-style

another point is that boxin is already on the decline meanin the cluster of great fighters is small, most of his opponents will neva enter the list while ali can boast of beating up to 15/20 great boxers

mayweather will be around 7 or 8 on my list, i also like him

about pele n ronaldo, i beliv u are wrong again but thats another argument for another day
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 4:12am On Jul 07, 2008
@tosinadeda
He "chickened out" because he doesn't want to end up like Cassius Clay and have Parkinson's disease, the man has made so much ridiculous money that its no use fighting again.

@mr lai lai
Let's get one thing straight, nobody and i mean nobody is in boxing for the love of the game, even the great Winky Wright said it. Everybody is in it for the money and that's why Sugar Ray Robinson, Julio Chavez, Joe Louis and the others kept on fighting past there expiry date.
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by lailai2(m): 4:17am On Jul 07, 2008
u are right in that aspect. but its all about perspective, ur perspective, winky wright's perspective, i know of some boxers who fought without money, i'll look them up again
Re: Unbelievable! The Greatest Boxer Of All Time Is Retiring. by davidif: 1:00am On Jun 15, 2009
"Pretty boy" floyd "money" Mayweather is baaaaaaaaaaack, he has agreed to fight marquez on July 18th.

(1) (Reply)

Another Ex-eagles Dies / Today Hot Predictions... / Germany vs Argentina world cup final on sunday july 13th, 2014.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.