Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,132 members, 7,960,582 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 05:03 AM

Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU (1059 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Update On ASUU Strike: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Stop Us / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by ifeanyija(m): 7:10am On Sep 24, 2013
Teachers in the nation’s public universities on Monday
vowed to continue with the strike, declaring that the
attempt by the Federal Government to withhold their
salaries would not stop their action.

They also described a section of the National Association
of Nigerian Students distancing themselves from the
strike as “politically motivated students.”
The Chairman, Academic Staff Union of Universities,
University of Abuja chapter, Dr. Clement Chup, stated
this in an online interview with our correspondent.
The Federal Government, by withholding their salaries,
he said, would not make them to abandon their cause.

He said, “Yes, the non-payment of our August salary is
another attempt by the government to stampede us into
breaking the strike, and as usual, it will not work. The
economic war the government is employing has never,
and will never yield any dividend.
“Our next line of action is to continue with the strike.
We had, on July 2, commenced a total, comprehensive
and indefinite strike action, and as long as the
government does not meet our demand of
implementing the FGN/ASUU 2009 agreement, the strike
will continue.”

On comments by the leadership of NANS that the
students were no longer supporting the strike, Chup said
those making the call were “political and mercenary
students.”
“The NANS that say they do not support us are the
mercenary students. They are the political, non-
matriculated students. Our genuine students do
understand the issues that warranted the strike, and are
fully in our support.”

Chup, an associate professor at UNIABUJA, also alleged
that the Governor Gabriel Suswam-led NEEDS
Assessment Committee was only interested in awarding
contracts in the universities.
According to him, the committee is arbitrarily awarding
contracts to the governing councils of the universities
without considering the peculiarities of the schools.
He added, “The committee is merely giving letters of
award to the governing councils and intends to handle
the contracts, not minding the peculiarities of the
universities.
“The question to ask the governor is, why insist on going
ahead with the implementation of the projects when
the committee has yet to agree with the principal party
involved’? I think the Suswam committee was only
interested in awarding contracts.”

www.punchng.com/education/withholding-our-salary-will-not-deter-us-ASUU/
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by bodman4us: 7:18am On Sep 24, 2013
ifeanyi_ja: Teachers in the nation’s public universities on Monday
vowed to continue with the strike, declaring that the
attempt by the Federal Government to withhold their
salaries would not stop their action.

They also described a section of the National Association
of Nigerian Students distancing themselves from the
strike as “politically motivated students.”
The Chairman, Academic Staff Union of Universities,
University of Abuja chapter, Dr. Clement Chup, stated
this in an online interview with our correspondent.
The Federal Government, by withholding their salaries,
he said, would not make them to abandon their cause.

He said, “Yes, the non-payment of our August salary is
another attempt by the government to stampede us into
breaking the strike, and as usual, it will not work. The
economic war the government is employing has never,
and will never yield any dividend.
“Our next line of action is to continue with the strike.
We had, on July 2, commenced a total, comprehensive
and indefinite strike action, and as long as the
government does not meet our demand of
implementing the FGN/ASUU 2009 agreement, the strike
will continue.”

On comments by the leadership of NANS that the
students were no longer supporting the strike, Chup said
those making the call were “political and mercenary
students.”
“The NANS that say they do not support us are the
mercenary students. They are the political, non-
matriculated students. Our genuine students do
understand the issues that warranted the strike, and are
fully in our support.”

Chup, an associate professor at UNIABUJA, also alleged
that the Governor Gabriel Suswam-led NEEDS
Assessment Committee was only interested in awarding
contracts in the universities.
According to him, the committee is arbitrarily awarding
contracts to the governing councils of the universities
without considering the peculiarities of the schools.
He added, “The committee is merely giving letters of
award to the governing councils and intends to handle
the contracts, not minding the peculiarities of the
universities.
“The question to ask the governor is, why insist on going
ahead with the implementation of the projects when
the committee has yet to agree with the principal party
involved’? I think the Suswam committee was only
interested in awarding contracts.”

www.punchng.com/education/withholding-our-salary-will-not-deter-us-ASUU/
I totally agree with ASUU,NAnS are doing nothing to end the strike......its just simple NAns have been financially motivated by the govt not to intervene in the strike..stupid body..
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by bahlow: 7:21am On Sep 24, 2013
May God bless ASUU for me. This is a Fight to d end nd no going back. Ride on Academic Staff Union Of Universities...i support u.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 24, 2013
Seriously? Were they expecting to be paid? undecided undecided. FG should withhold the salary till everything is settled. How can they be receiving salaries and students are receiving nothing? It's unfair for them to receive salaries for doing nothing!

Lazy asss lecturers.

2 Likes

Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 24, 2013
This ASUU no wan gree @all.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by bahlow: 7:35am On Sep 24, 2013
Baybe: Seriously? Were they expecting to be paid? undecided undecided. FG should withhold the salary till everything is settled. How can they be receiving salaries and students are receiving nothing? It's unfair for them to receive salaries for doing nothing!

Lazy asss lecturers.
Let support ASUU cus dey are d only body dat can fight for our right. FG must implement ASUU demand cus FG started it right from d outset.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by bahlow: 7:43am On Sep 24, 2013
Team ASUU...said let the strike continue until all demands are met. FG is very greedy and heartless and No going back on ASUU strike.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Impulse80(m): 7:47am On Sep 24, 2013
Chai na where I go fit get work from now?
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by GoodBoi1(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2013
Let them continue vowing and declaring.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by fr3do(m): 8:03am On Sep 24, 2013
I dont support the non-chalant attitude of the government towards education.
A country can never progress with its Educational sector lacking.

But it baffles me that it is these same lectures who dont come to classes regularly,dont cover the course outline for the semester,tell students to read their books instead of teaching that are now so determined to curb the decay in Education.

They should be the change they seek,first.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 24, 2013
bahlow: Let support ASUU cus dey are d only body dat can fight for our right. FG must implement ASUU demand cus FG started it right from d outset.
ASUU does not have your interest at heart. They are fighting for themselves. Why not tell ASUU ask FG to withhold their salaries till everything is settled cuz it's unfair for them to receive salaries for doing nothing. They have nothing to lose since they still receive salaries without working. When they withhold their salaries then we'd know who they are truly fighting for.

How sure are you that after FG implements their demands that they'd not continue with their handout-selling and feeding us with 18th century curriculum.

1 Like

Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 24, 2013
fr3do: I dont support the non-chalant attitude of the government towards education.
A country can never progress with its Educational sector lacking.

But it baffles me that it is these same lectures who dont come to classes regularly,dont cover the course outline for the semester,tell students to read their books instead of teaching that are now so determined to curb the decay in Education.

They should be the change they seek,first.
Help me tell them o
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Brimmie(m): 8:58am On Sep 24, 2013
[size=16]Abeg I Wan Do Ileya For House![/size] undecided
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Dannyxy(m): 9:16am On Sep 24, 2013
To ASUU: "be the change you want to see in our education sector" ***************************** There is no way ASUU can END the THINGS that started a long TIME ago,without a change in the attitude of the lecturers themselves,money or no money...
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Appliedmaths(m): 9:17am On Sep 24, 2013
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Appliedmaths(m): 9:20am On Sep 24, 2013
My fellow Nigerian students, please don't be deceived for heavens sake we are undergraduates and if we can't literally 'read between the lines' at this stage of our lives at what time would we be able to do this?. ASUU is fighting for their pocket, don't mistake this fact for one day. On the other hand every tom,dick and harry should know by now that the Education system needs transformation this is no news. I bet you when the FG fully implement the 'no work no pay' act ASUU would divide into two factions just like the new and old PDP.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Olastep1(m): 9:23am On Sep 24, 2013
bahlow: May God bless ASUU for me. This is a Fight to d end nd no going back. Ride on Academic Staff Union Of Universities...i support u.
i dont think u're a reasonable student. Tel me. Where do u school...?
bahlow: Team ASUU...said let the strike continue until all demands are met. FG is very greedy and heartless and No going back on ASUU strike.
i pity ur life again. You must stil be in sec skul. If you're @home since July 1 virtualy doin' nothin' then u'l understand. I pity ur life once again
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by olupentane(m): 9:25am On Sep 24, 2013

Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by EazyJ(f): 12:26pm On Sep 24, 2013
Olastep1: i dont think u're a reasonable student. Tel me. Where do u school...? i pity ur life again. You must stil be in sec skul. If you're @home since July 1 virtualy doin' nothin' then u'l understand. I pity ur life once again
Ok..ASUU should call off d strike nw nd re-embark on it d following month?It shud b settled once and for all.Though ASUU is fighting 4 deir pockets too buh d agreement would still be implemented.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Azboy34(m): 12:40pm On Sep 24, 2013
Olastep1: i dont think u're a reasonable student. Tel me. Where do u school...? i pity ur life again. You must stil be in sec skul. If you're @home since July 1 virtualy doin' nothin' then u'l understand. I pity ur life once again
Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡ mumu..that z d problem with Nigerians. We cannt endure at al aπϑ we want Å̶̷̩̥͡ better Education.
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Azboy34(m): 12:46pm On Sep 24, 2013
U asked me wia do ℓ̊ skul? g̷̩̥̊θ aπϑ ask goggle...Omo jonathan mtcheww
Re: Withholding Our Salary Will Not Deter Us —ASUU by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2013
bahlow: Team ASUU...said let the strike continue until all demands are met. FG is very greedy and heartless and No going back on ASUU strike.
guy wats ur stress na, do u collect the allowance wit dm, Nfa's lyk u wnt c dat diz stryk of diers has bn polictised ....today dy blame the Fg tomorrow dy blame Nuc and okojie.. nw dey blaming NANs* let dis ASUU n It lecturers gt a lyf....d allowance dy fighting for...nt all of dm worth it...recent discovery reveal dat Most of these lecturers also lecture @ private institutions ....dnt knw y diz guys ar so greedy n self centered* fg plz sieze dr salary @ least No work No pay*...
Lazy Asses

(1) (Reply)

Genius Mathematician / Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship Award 2014- How To Apply / My Experience At Yabatech Post Utme For Compsc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.