Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,954 members, 7,963,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 01:39 AM

Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants - Career (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants (172995 Views)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / Geologists And Mining Engrs: Let's Talk Here / Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (65) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by missperetu(f): 1:02pm On Dec 31, 2013
compliment of the season pals . pls i would like to ask doing a masters in petroleum engineering and reservoir evaluation and management which is preferable and what are ur reasons.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
missperetu: compliment of the season pals . pls i would like to ask doing a masters in petroleum engineering and reservoir evaluation and management which is preferable and what are ur reasons.
both are cool...
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by crudedude(m): 1:53pm On Dec 31, 2013
Moving on...

According to Wikipedia.org Engineering is is the application of scientific , economic, social, and practical knowledge in order to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes. From the above definition it is obvious how broad the job description of an Engineer is.

The world is evolving. Communication is seamless, faster and of course there is electricity. These my good friends undisputedly are niches of an electrical engineer.

The Geologist is an interpreter. What men stand and do not see he sees sitting down. He can tell his great grandfathers how their environment was before they were born. Yes, the geologist is that good.

But Sirs, who will relay the messages of the geologist across borders? Who will set up that communication system? Who will design more efficient tools for the Geologist to work with? Will he be forever stuck with the hammer and compass? God forbid.

Permit me to take us back to our definition... " in order to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes . These processes/structures/machines could be in oil exploration and production, geological surveys and the likes.

In essence, there is always something to do for the Electrical Engineer.

My point number two in favour of my stance is a short one and I will throw it in form of a question.

Between Electrical Engineering and Geology which do you think is better taught in our Nigerian universities of today?

imag5: go on plsl...
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 31, 2013
crudedude: Moving on...

According to Wikipedia.org Engineering is is the application of scientific , economic, social, and practical knowledge in order to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes. From the above definition it is obvious how broad the job description of an Engineer is.

The world is evolving. Communication is seamless, faster and of course there is electricity. These my good friends undisputedly are niches of an electrical engineer.

The Geologist is an interpreter. What men stand and do not see he sees sitting down. He can tell his great grandfathers how their environment was before they were born. Yes, the geologist is that good.

But Sirs, who will relay the messages of the geologist across borders? Who will set up that communication system? Who will design more efficient tools for the Geologist to work with? Will he be forever stuck with the hammer and compass? God forbid.

Permit me to take us back to our definition... " in order to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes . These processes/structures/machines could be in oil exploration and production, geological surveys and the likes.

In essence, there is always something to do for the Electrical Engineer.

My point number two in favour of my stance is a short one and I will throw it in form of a question.

Between Electrical Engineering and Geology which do you think is better taught in our Nigerian universities of today?

nice one
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2013
imag5: nice one
moderators, my co debator, mentions that they produce machines and devices, that aid geologist, I also want to point that these machines and devices run on fuels such as hydraulic, diesel, petrol etc, who sources for this fuel "a geologist" meaning their machines will not work at most by effective and useful if not for the fuels provided thru months and years of research works put together by I geologist.
again he calmed who's is better taught in university, this is not a hidden fact, that geologist are not only taught in class, we do practicals, go on field trips see the things we learn and interact with it. how many electrical engineers can claim they have seen electrons or neutrons its just an assumptions at university level esp in Nigeria. I have many electrical engineers who calm some of their lecturers didn't really explained most processes well.
so what's the point. geology remains a better option, that adds value to life, solves environmental problems, saves the ecosystems name it. geologist does what God would love, that's replenishing the earth, making humans happy. thank you

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by dives(m): 2:55pm On Dec 31, 2013
imag5: application form 15k sch fess 100k budget 120k plus other expense like transcript.....

Thanks a lot...You have been of great help and i can't say thank you enough. Thanks man.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Demoinc(m): 3:22pm On Dec 31, 2013
2s£xy:
For those who would like to get a glimpse of the oil and gas industry by knowing more about Petroleum Engineering, get your hand on this book: Non-Technical Guide to Petroleum, Exploration, Drilling and Production.

Its easy to understand hold-me-by-hand and paint-me-a-picture approach makes it a rather interesting book to read.

It is 568 pages and sold for some $ at Amazon, but I got mine free with good google searches last year.

The book is really a non-technical guide.

Enjoy
Pls can u provide link 2 where u got urs free?
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by cheapgadgets6: 5:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
Demo_inc:
Pls can u provide link 2 where u got urs free?
broda pls au cn I also get d buk? Tnx
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 11:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
B4 it get's busy tonight, B4 network get's jam, B4 i get drunk wit praiz.n *worship* ..., B4 2013 is finally gone..., B4 2014 finally comes......, B4 anybody else wishes u. I WISH U A HAPI NEW YEAR.... C u @ 2014.....from jazino a.k.a collins

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 31, 2013
jazinogold: B4 it get's busy tonight, B4 network get's jam, B4 i get drunk wit praiz.n *worship* ..., B4 2013 is finally gone..., B4 2014 finally comes......, B4 anybody else wishes u. I WISH U A HAPI NEW YEAR.... C u @ 2014.....from jazino a.k.a collins
happi newyear
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by kbpresh: 5:10am On Jan 01, 2014
jazinogold: B4 it get's busy tonight, B4 network get's jam, B4 i get drunk wit praiz.n *worship* ..., B4 2013 is finally gone..., B4 2014 finally comes......, B4 anybody else wishes u. I WISH U A HAPI NEW YEAR.... C u @ 2014.....from jazino a.k.a collins
Can I ask a question? I'm a newly admitted student of Uniben but I have a blank passport on my application record. Can this be resolved at the auditorium and would it affect my clearance? Reply please
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year, it our year of greatness...isaaih 60 vs 22

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 10:57am On Jan 01, 2014
kbpresh:
Can I ask a question?
m all ears! Go ahead and ask ur question.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 10:57am On Jan 01, 2014
I wish you a happy and prosperous New Year. It is my pleasure to remind you of the fact that you are special. So, you are specially welcome to 2014, your year of fulfillment and upliftment, abundance, glow and glee, fame and eminence, excellence stride...,I wish you all the best. 1 luv!

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by ideology(m): 2:57pm On Jan 01, 2014
Joshua - 3:7

2 Likes

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by crudedude(m): 4:18pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy New Year guys. back to our debate grin grin grin

All protocols duly observed please permit one more time to remind us the topic of our debate...

imag5: Pls let debate Electrical engineering VS Geology which is better to study in Nigeria...

Our topic does not seek to downplay or compare the impact of these two set of professionals. Indeed they are both champions in their respective fields. The topic however seeks our opinion on which is better to study in Nigeria. This I believe may be with reference to our current education standard, the job prospects when one graduates and what have you. In my first post I highlighted how broad the job scope of the Electrical engineer is. Though I limited it to the Oil and gas industry alone. We may not need to go into other career fields as this might take us the whole day.

I now go to my second point.

In my honest opinion, I will pick electrical engineering. Its no secret that the Nigerian education system is poor at the moment. Ill equipped universities and inadequate staff are but a fragment of the total problem. I still believe even with these scenarios the Electrical engineer is taught better because they have better teaching staff and better laboratories/facilities to learn with. While I may not have facts at this moment to back this claim I will seek to appeal to our reasoning and sense of judgment.

Geology is not taught in class. it is a field study. How equipped are our Universities today to teach geology. How many geology departments have their own buses? how often do they go on field trips? how many have work stations? of those that do have work stations how many of it are functional and in full use?. A few peculiar problems of geology study in Nigeria.

One may argue that the Electrical Engineer has similar problems but lets be sincere to ourselves. In the school you graduated from is the electrical engineering department favoured ahead of the geology department? There is your answer....

I'll stop here for now. Rebuttals anyone?

Now where's that my fried rice cool
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 01, 2014
crudedude: Happy New Year guys. back to our debate grin grin grin

All protocols duly observed please permit one more time to remind us the topic of our debate...

Our topic does not seek to downplay or compare the impact of these two set of professionals. Indeed they are both champions in their respective fields. The topic however seeks our opinion on which is better to study in Nigeria. This I believe may be with reference to our current education standard, the job prospects when one graduates and what have you. In my first post I highlighted how broad the job scope of the Electrical engineer is. Though I limited it to the Oil and gas industry alone. We may not need to go into other career fields as this might take us the whole day.

I now go to my second point.

In my honest opinion, I will pick electrical engineering. Its no secret that the Nigerian education system is poor at the moment. Ill equipped universities and inadequate staff are but a fragment of the total problem. I still believe even with these scenarios the Electrical engineer is taught better because they have better teaching staff and better laboratories/facilities to learn with. While I may not have facts at this moment to back this claim I will seek to appeal to our reasoning and sense of judgment.

Geology is not taught in class. it is a field study. How equipped are our Universities today to teach geology. How many geology departments have their own buses? how often do they go on field trips? how many have work stations? of those that do have work stations how many of it are functional and in full use?. A few peculiar problems of geology study in Nigeria.

One may argue that the Electrical Engineer has similar problems but lets be sincere to ourselves. In the school you graduated from is the electrical engineering department favoured ahead of the geology department? There is your answer....

I'll stop here for now. Rebuttals anyone?

Now where's that my fried rice cool
ideology over to u
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by alcuin(m): 6:48pm On Jan 01, 2014
I thank y'all for ur contrubutions. Especially, imag5, I thank you sir.

I am a petroleum engineering student of UNIBEN. I am in 300l.

I am thoroughly on board this thread.

Thank you all for this life changing and expository thread
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by profeoo(m): 9:20pm On Jan 01, 2014
Ï am not here to compare which among Geology and Elec Eng is a better course to study in Nigeria. Obviously both courses are great to study any day no matter how they are taught. But the point Ï'm after is the opportunities opened to one wЂό̲̣̣̣̥
studied them after graduation. Nigeria is packed with âƖōŧ of Elec Engr,with comparatively few qualified Geologist. Small wonder,for some three years nw O&G companies e.g Chevron,Shell & some other servicing companies are demanding the manpower of Geological graduates. No matter how well taught the subject of Geology was in school,these coys wil stil send u 4 a refresher course to channel u to fit into d biz. Șo my friends,Ï like to conclude by saying : OIL MONEY is beta than BLOOD MONEY.

2 Likes

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by jazinogold(m): 5:56am On Jan 02, 2014
kbpresh:
Can I ask a question? I'm a newly admitted student of Uniben but I have a blank passport on my application record. Can this be resolved at the auditorium and would it affect my clearance? Reply please
yes it can be corrected! U can reach me tru d info on my signature! Thanks.
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by crudedude(m): 9:13am On Jan 02, 2014
prof e.o.o:
Ï am not here to compare which among Geology and Elec Eng is a better course to study in Nigeria. Obviously both courses are great to study any day no matter how they are taught. But the point Ï'm after is the opportunities opened to one wЂό̲̣̣̣̥
studied them after graduation. Nigeria is packed with âƖōŧ of Elec Engr,with comparatively few qualified Geologist. Small wonder,for some three years nw O&G companies e.g Chevron,Shell & some other servicing companies are demanding the manpower of Geological graduates. No matter how well taught the subject of Geology was in school,these coys wil stil send u 4 a refresher course to channel u to fit into d biz. Șo my friends,Ï like to conclude by saying : OIL MONEY is beta than BLOOD MONEY.

I love your response. but again I ask. On a broader scale of Job prospects which has more options? The Geologist or the Electrical Engineer? If i might add also, the Oil Industry is not the only industry.

Besides more and more schools are now offering Geology and admitting much more students.

The Geologist is most peculiar to Oil and gas industry, and whatever involves the earth. The Electrical Engineer can work in a cement factory, in refineries, in a bank, in space programmes, in power generation/transmission, in construction, in communication and so on and so forth.
Infact, Any place that involves "designing, building, and maintaining structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes." There's a 90% chance there's an Electrical Engineer there.

This you'll agree is way more than what's obtainable for a Geologist. Some are even of the opinion that a Geophysicist has more options than a Geologist.

I know the dream of every Geologist is to be in Oil and gas. But if (God forbid) he's not there, What are his options?.

At the end of the day. Not everybody will work in the Oil and Gas Industry. We can only pray for Gods favour.

I have a question for the professionals just to pacify my curios mind.

In the Oil and Gas industry as a whole from exploration to production plus servicing. Which of the professionals in debate have more slots?

Good morningsmiley

1 Like

Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Udochee(m): 10:06am On Jan 02, 2014
Happy new year to my fellow professional colleagues.may GOD continue to giv us d grace to help ourselves(career-wise,educationally&in all positive ways)....for every career u choose let GOD lead d way
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 02, 2014
Nice debate...bring it on more point
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by kbpresh: 11:16am On Jan 02, 2014
jazinogold: yes it can be corrected! U can reach me tru d info on my signature! Thanks.
Thank you so much. I'll report to the school soonest
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 02, 2014
Young graduate apply...if you don't have NDT certificate your chance is very slim

Full-TimeDec 19, 2013
Graduate Engineer
John Albert Oil Services  |  Lagos
Industry
Oil & Gas / Mining
Specialization
Oil&Gas / Mining / Energy
John Albert Oil Services
Required Experience
Entry Level
Available Slots
Application Deadline
Jan 31, 2014
Apply for Free
Job Description
We are a new project delivery company that delivers in Oil & Gas services; Infrastructure & Environmental sector with to aim of becoming the Project Delivery Company of Choice in Nigeria and indeed Africa. 

Responsibilities:
Assisting & aiding the Offshore Crew Supervisors and performing routine operational duties.
Perform tests, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain the equipment as necessary.
Repair may require the reading and interpreting wiring schematics, performing minor coating, bolting and welding, and operating hydraulic, pneumatic, Inspection and spray equipment.
Adjust or replace bearings, pipes, and other pipeline and production facilities as needed.
Verify that the integrity of the structure has been restored for the purpose it was designed for.
Take pictures and/or video of completed work for presentation to the client.
Assist in recruiting and training rope access employees on operational functions; conduct safety orientations and meetings; assures that established policies and procedures are followed.
Coordinate all functions including receiving of components, equipment inventory control and interim quality checks and shipping; assures compliance with all regulations and good code of practice.
Troubleshoots any project problems; assures that equipment and materials are properly maintained for efficient operations; reports any process or equipment problems to the Operations Manager.
Perform other assigned duties.

Qualifications and Requirements:
A university degree (HND/Bsc/Bng) is required with a major in science or engineering preferred
Non Destructive Test Certifications- Ultrasonic Testing Level II, Magnetic Testing Level II & Liquid Penetrant Testing Level II
Welding (6G) Certificate
Coating and Blasting Experience/Certificate
Good team spirit and project management skills
Good problem solving skills and initiative
Good relational skills
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Tools
Good relational and interpersonal skills.
Good Team Spirit
Good Oral and Written Communication Skills.
Good Presentation Skills
Good Reasoning skills
Multi-tasking & Organizational Skills
Good Analytical Skills
Time Management Skills
Exhibits Initiative, Responsibility and Flexibility
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Tools
Required Experience: No experience required.
Desired Cours
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
Apply for the job above using the link
http://mobile./job/297071/graduate-engineer-in-lagos/
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hello young grad...our next agenda is how to pass appitude test,one thing is to apply for job the other thing is to have a good score in the test at this junction I will be giving young grad guides on how to tackle GMAT,shl,kenexa and co...will are going to be using whatsap chat to solve problem and skpye for demonstration also I will be sharing free materials on GMAT,shl past question and answer,drop your mail so that I can take time to send the materials one after the other

Imag
Re: Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 02, 2014
imag5: Will be sending GMAT and assement day questions to you in a moment
sent already do you need psychometric pass question

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (65) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out! / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons / Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.