Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,062 members, 7,970,275 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:03 AM

- Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / (924 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / Funny Languages That Gets U Pissed Off/makes U Freak Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by Idrismusty97(m): 7:49pm On Nov 03, 2013
Re: by Fulaman198(m): 10:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
#1 Foreign language is definitely English, and that is a global thing, though we Africans should be proud of our own languages and stop trying to speak languages that further take us away from our culture. Make sure you know your own mother tongue first before learning the language of others. Otherwise you are shaming your ancestors.
Re: by fulanigirl(f): 10:10pm On Nov 03, 2013
Fulaman198: #1 Foreign language is definitely English, and that is a global thing, though we Africans should be proud of our own languages and stop trying to speak languages that further take us away from our culture. Make sure you know your own mother tongue first before learning the language of others. Otherwise you are shaming your ancestors.

Kind of harsh don't you think. I'm not saying to not know your own culture or language but the language you speak first depends on the environment around you.
Re: by Fulaman198(m): 10:52pm On Nov 03, 2013
fulanigirl:

Kind of harsh don't you think. I'm not saying to not know your own culture or language but the language you speak first depends on the environment around you.

In some ways, what I said may be harsh, but that is not the intention. How will learning other foreign languages help one get a better aspect of their culture. Why Learn German before Yoruba if one is Yoruba, or why learn Spanish before Fulfulde if one is Fulani? To me it does not make sense. Why love another's culture more than your own, hence my signature which in English translates to, make sure you know your language, because if you forget your language, you forget yourself and your identity.

How can one call themselves something if they do not even speak that language. I am not trying to be harsh dear Fulanigirl because we are of the same stock, I am Pullo you are Pullo. But one must have pride in their roots, from where they come from. I find the issue with Africans is that they always want to be from somewhere else (mainly Europe or the Middle East) we should be happy from soil and roots we are from.
Re: by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 04, 2013
I speak 2 of the top three in that list + English, Arabic and Somali. I want to learn Portuguese and Spanish enchallah.
Re: by StarFlux: 5:47am On Nov 04, 2013
Fulaman198:

In some ways, what I said may be harsh, but that is not the intention. How will learning other foreign languages help one get a better aspect of their culture. Why Learn German before Yoruba if one is Yoruba, or why learn Spanish before Fulfulde if one is Fulani? To me it does not make sense. Why love another's culture more than your own, hence my signature which in English translates to, make sure you know your language, because if you forget your language, you forget yourself and your identity.

How can one call themselves something if they do not even speak that language. I am not trying to be harsh dear Fulanigirl because we are of the same stock, I am Pullo you are Pullo. But one must have pride in their roots, from where they come from. I find the issue with Africans is that they always want to be from somewhere else (mainly Europe or the Middle East) we should be happy from soil and roots we are from.
I agree.

Nothing wrong with learning other languages, but it's important to learn your mothe tongue. Imagine where we could've been today if Nigerian languages were/are being developed more and more, and actually being promoted, not discouraged. People would be asking: what is English?

(1) (Reply)

African Americans Ain't African ,do You Agree / Things You Did As A Naija Kid !!! / Is This True ? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.