Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,237 members, 7,936,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:12 AM

Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade (1992 Views)

Nigeria Military warns Nigerian on Cluster Bombs / I'm Preparing Military Needs For G-7 Leaders.-buhari / The Military Needs To Be Called To Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 2:02am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

ECOMOG operation was totally different from the case of Boko Haram.

They are on the same par.

The Nigerian army engaged a militia populated with drugged child soldeirs.

The Nigerian Military is yet to engage a regular disciplined army.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by funkybaby(f): 2:04am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

ECOMOG operation was totally different from the case of Boko Haram.

I know.

Nigerian army played a great part in the whole ECOMOG arrangement and they got lots of praise and accolades for it. It shouldn't be too difficult to replicate similar success in borno state.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 2:07am On Dec 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

They are on the same par.

The Nigerian army engaged a militia populated with drugged child soldeirs.

The Nigerian Military is yet to engage a regular disciplined army.

I say no with regards to warfare and military engagement. Nigeria in ECOMOG took a side with group that has a defined area of military operation. Boko Haram seem to appear everywhere without areas delineated for military operation. In most cases, in quarters and villages regarded as friendly.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 2:11am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

I know.

Nigerian army played a great part in the whole ECOMOG arrangement and they got lots of praise and accolades for it. It shouldn't be too difficult to replicate similar success in borno state.

If you want to declare Borno State as an enemy territory, Nigerian armed forces can achieve the same result as seen during ECOMOG operation.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 2:13am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

I know.

The Sierra-Leonnians and Liberians still hold Nigeria in contempt as to the conduct of their soldiers on and off duty.

A lot of innocent people were killed by the Nigerian Military in their Pyrrhic strategy which saw little or no difference between armed combatants and innocent civilians. The collateral damage was enormous but the mainstream western media avoided reporting this on the cue of their governments who were reluctant to send troops to Africa. The Nigerian Army got the Job done in the most shabby manner ever.

The video below shows Nigerian soldiers in their finest barbarity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUcTb1i9184

No matter how many times I watch this video I feel very angry and cry for this young boy.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by funkybaby(f): 2:22am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

If you want to declare Borno State as an enemy territory, Nigerian armed forces can achieve the same result as seen during ECOMOG operation.

If this approach will solve the problem and deliver the much needed result, then so be it.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by edoyad(m): 2:26am On Dec 22, 2013
Internet scholars and their usual skewered views of issues at hand. In this very corrupt nation where the people running the Govt are more concerned with buying bullet proof limousines and private jets than they are with the welfare of common man, how effective would your army be?
Do you think the soldiers we see on the street are blind to the injustices directly affecting you? See how retired soldiers were dying on the streets of abuja waiting for their entitlements just a few years back. These are people who had served this country for dozens of years. Frankly, if I were one of them, I wouldn't give my life knowing what would befall my family if I was killed.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by funkybaby(f): 2:28am On Dec 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

The Sierra-Leonnians and Liberians still hold Nigeria in contempt as to the conduct of their soldiers on and off duty.

A lot of innocent people were killed by the Nigerian Military in their Pyrrhic strategy which saw little or no difference between armed combatants and innocent civilians. The collateral damage was enormous but the mainstream western media avoided reporting this on the cue of their governments who were reluctant to send troops to Africa. The Nigerian Army got the Job done in the most shabby manner ever.

The video below shows Nigerian soldiers in their finest barbarity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUcTb1i9184

No matter how many times I watch this video I feel very angry and cry for this young boy.

I will watch the clip tomorrow, I don't want to go to bed with a headache cool

Sadly, the nigerian soldiers were well known for fathering many kids over there.

That said, there will always be innocent casualties in any war. It's just the harsh reality.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 2:36am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

If this approach will solve the problem and deliver the much needed result, then so be it.

Then there will be no difference between the Army and the insurgents.

The populace will then naturally be more adhered to the cause and motives of the insurgents and then join them.

Wars are fought both on the battle field and for hearts and Minds.

The Romans new this so well that after pillaging any rebellious province and purging it of the seditious groups, they (Romans) will sooner or later rebuild and integrate that province back to it's former status within their commonwealth.

It was only the Palestine Province that was sacked so viciously on account of the Jews not wanting to assimilate within the Roman Commonwealth. Even throughout the siege to retake Jerusalem, the Romans exhausted numerous concessions to have the rebellious groups make amends and appealed on behalf of the innocent civilians trapped within her walls.
Titus (son of Roman General Vespasian and later Caesar) wanted to preserve the city and the temple there within but for the fanatic fervor of the Jews then, he burnt the temple and demolished all of Jerusalem.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 2:38am On Dec 22, 2013
edoyad: Internet scholars and their usual skewered views of issues at hand. In this very corrupt nation where the people running the Govt are more concerned with buying bullet proof limousines and private jets than they are with the welfare of common man, how effective would your army be?
Do you think the soldiers we see on the street are blind to the injustices directly affecting you? See how retired soldiers were dying on the streets of abuja waiting for their entitlements just a few years back. These are people who had served this country for dozens of years. Frankly, if I were one of them, I wouldn't give my life knowing what would befall my family if I was killed.

This is one of the reasons I said that weaponry is a totally different ballgame from military strategies including welfare of the soldiers.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 2:40am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

I will watch the clip tomorrow, I don't want to go to bed with a headache cool

Sadly, the nigerian soldiers were well known for fathering many kids over there.

That said, there will always be innocent casualties in any war. It's just the harsh reality.

The boy in the video is no more than 10 years old.

The Nigerian soldeirs came under sniper fire from an adjourning building. A gun fight ensued with Nigerian soldeirs spraying randomly at every roof top because they were not sure where the sniper was. They later raided one building and saw a child no more than 10 or 12 who even looked malnourished and assumed him for the sniper. They beat him mercilessly, and tied him up like an animal and tossed him into their truck.

The boy was screaming throughout.

I had visions of this boy for weeks on end when I first watched it but what was most harrowing is the scared look on this boy's face when he was first apprehended by the soldiers.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Nobody: 3:26am On Dec 22, 2013
An increase in the military budget has to go in tandem with an increase in the overall budget. Presently, the $31bn FG budget has to increase to around $60-$65 billion, before the nation can invest significantly in the Defense sector.

Then a gradual increase to around $6bn in defense spending would be feasible. It's high time that Nigerian scientists (including those at DICON), be tasked with building fighter jets, UAVs, and even 2 submarines. The subs will defend both the Western and Eastern flanks of the country.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 3:29am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

You are spot on the bolded. Even the rank and file of the Nigerian army can make a parade team of certain country's elite squad.

General Patton took control of the U.S.II Corp after their shameful defeat at the hands of the German Afrikan Korps. Patton will later have several victories with this same company after making sweeping changes. One of the things he noted on the first day at arriving at his new post was the general indiscipline and shabbiness of both the officers and personnel. He commented that : "They don't look like Soldiers so how do you expect them to fight like one".

The numerous checkpoints set up by the military are a testament to the general disorder within the Nigerian Army in particular. The soldiers are usually in different varying uniforms and sometimes I have observed some of them at the check points adorning Manchester united head mufflers on their uniform while on duty.

Another peculiar nonsense is the fact that some officer thought it wise to camouflage the check point as if it is some ambush position even though this is a designated security screening check point which would have required the opposite wherein the personnel on duty and the check point should be made visible especially at night to civilian motorists.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 3:33am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

I say no with regards to warfare and military engagement. Nigeria in ECOMOG took a side with group that has a defined area of military operation. Boko Haram seem to appear everywhere without areas delineated for military operation. In most cases, in quarters and villages regarded as friendly.

The rebels in Liberia and Freetown encompassed civilian areas as well

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kaduna Bomb Attack On Buhari: A Failed Attempt By APC To Launder Image—pdp / APC Reacts To Ogar On Osun Election / (shocking Photo) ISIS Crucifies 17-yr Old Boy For 3 Days After Taking Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.