Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,986 members, 7,963,145 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 06:58 AM

Politics Vs. Olympics - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Vs. Olympics (2779 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / British PM Takes Public Transport To Olympics: Can Our Leaders Try This? (Pic) / Nigerian Flag Replaced with Biafran Flag At The 2012 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Mustay(m): 3:19pm On Aug 26, 2008
naijaking1:

I beg to disagree.
When a religion prohibits girls from wearing certain types of sporting attire, from exposing whatever parts of their body, from speaking to men except their husbands/fathers/brothers; you still think that people who practice that religion will be out there playing soccer, swimming, running, or even playing beach basketball---- common!

Apart from a few (christian) Morroccan and East African female runners, did you see muslim females from other countries? Girls from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc are busy hiding themselves and their bodies from 'the evil stare of the World', so no sports.
Do you want them to go against their religion?

or aren't some 'holy' people having problems with Olympics: The Problem Of 'Encaged Manliness'

moreover, this topic is about Politics vs Olympics.

Dis Guy:

whats all these about looking to blame one particular region of the country, we are always looking elsewhere for blame aren't we?

its a Nigeria thing, parents don't like their kids playing in the dirt or running about- it seen as being unserious!
not until you become popular or wealthy anyway!

parents like to be called the mother of that Doctor/Engineer/Lawyer and all those big-money/Status professions!
we are status obsessed!

And yea like every other aspect of our country we have incompetent administrators!!!

before we even start blaming Kilagbe, Kilaju: So This Is How Ghanaians Hate Nigeria?, Nigerians do not even like themselves. even some yoruba people don't like certain yorubas from the SW. sad

Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 4:11pm On Aug 26, 2008
@Mustay
Good try. Anything that legally enhances an athletes performance is allowed, including, but not ltd to 'uncaged manliness' People who are sexually deprived look to Olympics for sexual innuendos. It's supposed to be a reflection of human perfection, viz: anatomy, physiology, and performance. Why do you think people preferred to compete naked in ancient times? People wrestled naked--slippery body advantage and all that, others ran barefooted, while still othere swam naked. I suspect that despite modest dressing today, some sexual deviants mastubate at these Olympic images, but is that a good reason to stop a huge chunk of the population from enaging in sports and excersise on religious ground? No. Somebody needs to update their religious book somehow.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by richylaw(m): 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2008
Is this all about religion alone? no way, the last time I checked Idowu Philips, Marylyn Okoro, Ohurougu, Obikwelu, Jade, Funmilayo, ?? and a host of others were actually Nigerians who naturalised to other nations and came to represent these countries in olympics. Further from my observation the following nations fielded nigerians in the olympics: United Kingdom, United States, Qatar and Portugal. Some did well while some fell out.
The question: when we had the opportunity to manage these athletes did we, we only notice them when other nations snatch them from us and invest in them.
It's all about none chalants , like a poster refered , the base training ground for sport are no more , when 4 bedroom flats now turns to secondary school, to worsen it the federal government has nothing to give to or promote sports.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 11:22pm On Aug 26, 2008
I agree it's a component of both politics, religion, and stupidity, tha we're not doing our best in sports.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by rume(m): 11:54pm On Aug 26, 2008
Even in schools, athletics seem to be asleep. Only football seems to be speaking.
To me, athletics and other sports are relegated to the background at government and national levels other than football (which is not well administerated yet).

I know good athletes from my neighbourhood and early school days who have slipped through our hands. wink
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by vicero(m): 10:24am On Aug 27, 2008
[b]what do we expect. how can we pretend not to know whats happening. House of reps members and our senators want to go down to olympic fiestas, the question is for what? Look at the football team where a member of the coaching crew was dropped so a rep could go. of what advantage is he there? I even believe he is/ was more of a distraction than a help. First, he is not a coach, of what use was he on the bench and besides, why shld his estacode be more than that of those doing the real job, we should have a rethink in this country o. if not very soon, we would go to the olympics and come out with nothing, shey this time around we were lucky to get something. As Fasuba said, if they were well prepared, we would have had more to come home with. pls nigerians shuld never blame the atheletes again for switching alligeances to other nations. Since the country dosent value them, Imagine, someone goes out there and plays his heart out and you are giving him presidential hand shake or peanuts, when the reps collect more than them, abeg, lets leave story, only God can help this country.[/b]
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Mustay(m): 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2008
vicero:

House of reps members and our senators want to go down to olympic fiestas, the question is for what?
Bush - US president was there na tongue wink
rume:

Even in schools, athletics seem to be asleep. Only football seems to be speaking.
To me, athletics and other sports are relegated to the background at government and national levels other than football (which is not well administerated yet)

See the way corporate sponsoprs et al are all congratulating Dream Team IV like silver was the only medal we won sad
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 5:20pm On Aug 28, 2008
Nobody say our president should not attend Olympics like other heads of state, but it's different when every member of house, senate, perm sec, directors, assistant director, HEO, and so on just want use the opportunity to visit China at government expense. The athletes are the one who suffer!
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by dajavula(m): 7:54pm On Aug 28, 2008
Please anybody knows michel obi's phone no embarassed
Guys please help me out with dis i need it now
Thanks pals
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 4:05am On Aug 29, 2008
Try yellow pages
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by ayobase(m): 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2008
politics in sports but not in religion
sports in politics but in religion.

The fact that religion dressing
code is one way u have described
depicts not that one shouldnt go 4 sport.

The choice of what to put on depends on u
but there are reasons why one puts on
those sport materials on because
they are of added advantage to your
movement in air,it adds to one flexibilty.
it makes one light blah blah.

Are your sport dressing code
your everyday dresing code?

Its seasonal, hey u!
Dont be brainwashed by any
man of God that going into
sports will disqualify you from
making heaven, Go 4 it
God Loves sport.

Sports is what unite Nations.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 5:23pm On Sep 05, 2008
@ayobase
your take on religion and sport is interesting, but do you wonder about people of other religion, and how their belief might influence their participation in sports?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Bags UN-Habitat Award In Brazil / Some PDP Governors Support Gov. Sylva For Re-election / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.