Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,987 members, 7,936,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 07:08 AM

15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert (1312 Views)

To The "Carl Allen" Personality. If You Have Something To Say To Me, Am All Ears / Say Something You've Been Wanting To Say To Someone On Nairaland. / What Nairaland Female Members' Pictures Say To Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by Oises: 2:06pm On Sep 12, 2014
1. "You're so quiet.": I know. Society makes me feel self-conscious enough about this already; do you really have to point it out as though it's a flaw? I just speak when I have something of value to say.
2. "You just don't have a warm personality." Or: "So-and-so is warm. You can learn from her.": It takes some of us a while to open up to people. Just because it's not in my nature to be BFFs with everyone as soon as I meet them, that doesn't mean I'm not interested in getting to know people.
3. "You never speak up around my friends/parents/[other group of people who is relatively new to your life].": Actually, I do, I just only do so when I have something to say or after I feel like I've had time to connect with new people.
4. "My friends think you don't like them.": I like your friends, I just don't click with them as well as you since I've only just met them.
5. "Don't be so shy.": There's nothing wrong with being shy! If it doesn't interfere with my ability to get things done, it's not something that should concern you.
6. "Why don't you smile more?": Because when people order you to smile, like you're a child, it doesn't make them want to smile more?
7. "I know you don't like big group gatherings, BUT...": Actually, I'm fine with big group gatherings, I just feel uncomfortable when people go out of their way to point out what they seem to think is a personality deficit.
8. "When I first met you, I thought you were a bitch.": Funny, now I kind of think the same of you.
9. "You come across as mean because you rarely talk.": Silence is not the same thing as nastiness. Give me time to get to know you, and I will open up and be my warm, sparkly self, and I will have your back whenever you need me.
10. "Don't be so serious all the time.": I'm not serious, I just like to take in what's going on around me before I react to it.
11. "What's wrong? Are you sure nothing's wrong? You can tell me if something is wrong! It seems like something's wrong?": The only thing that's wrong is I haven't had time to be alone with my thoughts in a while. But thank you for your concern!
12. "Why do you hate people?": I don't hate people. I just like getting to know people over a period of time and tend not to click with people instantly, but that doesn't mean I won't click with them in the near future.
13. "Don't you want to get out of the house?": When I have a stack of magazines here to read to a soothing Corinne Bailey Rae CD playing? Nope.
14. "Live a little!": Actually, I do, I just don't talk about it on social media or around other people all the time.
15. "Why can't you make more of an effort when you meet new people?": I do make an effort, it's just more subtle and may happen more gradually than how you interact with people

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by Jnrbayerno(m): 2:17pm On Sep 12, 2014
I hate it when people say those things to me

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
I fit swear I'm only loud on NL in the real world I just don't know why I'm reserved
Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by Tannie(f): 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
Op nice one.
I see myself in everything above. The point is introverts are very observant. They study their environments and people they meet before opening up to them. Once they do, nothing holds them back.
Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by Richhommie(m): 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
True talk
Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by eleojo23: 7:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
Introverts...the most misunderstood beings on the planet even though they have contributed immensely to the progress of mankind (great scientists, musicians, inventors etc).
If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introverts.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by vikel2104: 4:56am On Sep 13, 2014
hmmm..
Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by Youngpo413: 12:15am On Oct 28, 2014
Tannie:
Op nice one.
I see myself in everything above. The point is introverts are very observant. They study their environments and people they meet before opening up to them. Once they do, nothing holds them back.

Mine is the worst,Im an introvert coupled with shyness,I mean I cant look someone straight in the face...pathetic isnt it?
Re: 15 Things You Should Never Say To An Introvert by mickey45: 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2016
Youngpo413:

Mine is the worst,Im an introvert coupled with shyness,I mean I cant look someone straight in the face...pathetic isnt it?

No never, it'll wane with time. that i promise you.
meanwhile, your brain can only accommodate so much and removing not so cogent things from it's purview helps it focus on real albeit fundamental ones.
Don't just take my word for it. You read up Zuckerberg, Nairaland's founder, Bill Gate and most popular timechangers' biographies and you'll see introversion helped them develop their mojo/jello

It's a gift if you'll use it wisely.
let your mind and brain explore the world. it'll make the experience more enthralling when your body eventually gets to do so.

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Pictures Of Big Dogs And Little Children / 25 Ways You’ve Been Using Everyday Products Wrong / Suleiman Hashimu: 11 Quick Facts About Man Who Trekked From Lagos To Abuja Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.