Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,234 members, 7,960,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 10:15 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (716982 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:55am On Jan 07, 2016
forgiveness:

Really! grin but d boy don pass U17 and U20 now. grin

He is good for the Olympics football games. That's all I saying, you know. grin

Some1 hu is 18yrs old don pass to play U20?

And i will nt say he is good for Olympic football games yet. I would say he is good for a call-up for selection camping though I personally feel he is more of an 20 material.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

And i will nt say he is good for Olympic football games yet. I would say he is good for a call-up for selection camping though I personally feel he is more of an 20 material.

The boy has displaced Dzeko, he should get a super eagle call up.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:47pm On Jan 07, 2016
forgiveness:
Roma Rising Star Sadiq Umar Scores For Second Game In A Row

Sadiq Umar, dubbed the New Nwankwo Kanu, scored for the second straight game in the Roma’s 3 - 3 draw with Chievo Verona in the Serie A on Wednesday afternoon.

On 7 minutes, the lanky forward gave the visitors the lead and his team doubled their advantage eight minutes before the intermission through Florenzi.

Paloschi and Dainelli scored to tie the game before Iago Falqué netted in the 79th minute to put Roma 3 - 2 up, but five minutes from time Pepe popped up with the equalizer.

Sadiq Umar opened his goalscoring account for Roma in their 2 - 0 victory over Genoa on December 20, 2015.

The 18 - year - old was replaced by Gyömbér ten minutes from time.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17466

This boy is heading for the Olympics football game with his recent performance. Chai! Somebody must play regularly. grin

Another Nacho in the making. Sadiq Umar just like Kelechi Iheanacho needs just few minutes of game time to let the ball in the net.

I foresee another hot star in the next FIFA U 20 World Cup.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
[size=14pt]
Arsenal signs young defender
Biyi Akangbe
[/size]

English Premier League table - toppers Arsenalhave announced via their official website that Tolaji Bola has signed professional terms with the club, shortly after clocking 17 years.

The teenager has caught the eye with some outstanding displays for Arsenal’s Under 18 squad over the last two seasons.

An England youth international, Tolaji Bola’s name is expected to be included in the Gunners Champions League roster when it is updated this month.

He was on the bench for the entirety of the clash between Arsenal U19s and Dinamo Zagreb in the UEFA Youth League back in September.

Bola is primarily a central defender but can also play at left - back comfortably.
www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/01/arsenal-signs-young-defender.html

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2015 All Africa Games - Men Warri Wolves
Hot from Africa: CAF MOST PROMISING TALENT 2015
[/size]

Azubuike Okechukwu led Nigeria to win the U23 AFCON in Senegal

Nigeria U23 star Oghenekaro Etebo has been listed for CAF Most Promising Talent award for 2015 alongside his compatriot Azubuike Okechukwu.

Etebo is in pole position to win the award considering his performance with the U23s and Warri Wolves.

The Warri Wolves forward is a gifted player who has pace, good vision for goals and great ball passer.

His class has been recognised as several foreign clubs now wish to sign him after he emerged as top scorer at CAF U23 championship with five goals and made the competition's best XI.

Etebo also helped the coach Samson Siasia-led team win bronze at the All Africa Games football event in Congo Brazzaville in September.

The U23 captain Azubuike Okechukwu is also a strong contender for this award looking at his contribution to the team at CAF U23 championship.

A good ball winner and passer, he was named the MVP of the U23 AFCON and he is an important member of Turkish club Yeni Malatyaspor.

The Nigeria U23 stars will contend with Mali U20 goalkeeper Djigui Diarra, who was outstanding at FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand last year.

Etebo's profile
Born: November 9, 1995
Height: 1.76m
Weight: 70kg

Position: Attacking midfielder
Previous Clubs: Lord Honour FC, Warri Wolves feeders’ team
Present club: Warri Wolves

Azubuike's profile
Born: 19th April, 1997
Position: Midfielder
Previous club: Bayelsa United
Present club: Yeni Malatyaspor (Turkey)
africanfootball.com/news/598921/Hot-from-Africa-CAF-MOST-PROMISING-TALENT-2015
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Nt true. He has nt displaced Dzeko.
I agree he has put up some fantastic performances thus far.He is jst 18 & still needs time to mature. He is a 2017 Flying Eagles prospect IMHO although he may also feature in d Olympics if selected.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 2:04pm On Jan 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Abegi, help me tell them.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 2:04pm On Jan 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

super eagles fast fast?no bro let him start with the u-20 first

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho Benched In City’s Cup Loss To Everton; Onazi, Success In Action
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Nigerian youngster Kelechi Iheanacho was left on the bench for 90 minutes in Manchester City’s 2-1 away loss to Everton in the first leg, semi-final of the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.

Goals from Ramiro Funes Miro and Romelu Lukaku secured the win for Everton. Jesus Navas got City’s goal.

The second leg holds at the Etihad Stadium in three weeks time.
Super Eagles assistant captain Ogenyi Onazi was in action for Lazio in their 0-0 home draw against Carpi in a Serie A clash.

Onazi, who played throughout the duration of the game, was yellow-carded in the 90th minute.
In Spain, Isaac Success was in the colours of Granada who were thrashed 4-0 by Valencia at the Mestalla in the Copa Del Rey.

Success later came off for Youssef El Arabi on 60 minutes, while his Nigerian team-mate Uche Agbo played 90 minutes.

Abdullahi Shehu featured for Uniao da Madeira who pipped Boavista 1-0 in their Portuguese Primera Liga encounter.

In action for Boavista was Michael Uchebo who replaced Andre Bukia on 64 minutes, while Reuben Gabriel was an unused substitute for Boavista.

In another Portuguese league match, Nigerian midfielder Anderson Esiti made an appearance for Estoril who lost 1-0 away to Arouca.

And in the Greek Cup, one-cap Super Eagles defender Ugo Ukah was benched for Kalloni as they triumphed 2-1 against Paok Thessaloniki.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-benched-in-citys-cup-loss-to-everton-onazi-success-in-action/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 2:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Amutu confirms he wants to play for Wenger’s Arsenal
By Callum Burroughs
[/size]

Nigerian striker Austin Amutu has confirmed he wants to play for Arsenal, and that his “dream” of representing the Gunners is “not far away”, as per African Football.

Amutu plays for Israeli side Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona at present, but is convinced that Arsene Wenger is monitoring him.

The striker has revealed that Wenger previously recommended him to French side Angers, and is now keeping tabs on the forward’s progress.

Under Van Gaal’s nose: Why Ashley Young can answer Man Utd’s creative calls

The 22-year-old, who has played for Nigeria’s Under-23 side, said: “It has been my dream to play for Arsenal, they came for my while I was at Warri Wolves and I think it was money that truncated the whole thing.

“By now I should be playing for Arsenal or any team in England.
“I am happy that a coach like Wenger has interest in me for long, still keeps his eyes on me and has not lost interest.

“He recommended me to Angers. The French team watched me score in Toto Cup semi-finals.

“I believe I am not far away from my dream of playing for Arsenal.”

Wenger’s side are currently top of the Premier League and have been impressive in recent weeks, despite an ongoing injury crisis.
Arsenal have won five of their last six matches, with their only blip coming in a 4-0 away defeat to Southampton on Boxing Day.

Their next fixture is against Sunderland in the FA Cup – a competition the Gunners are aiming to win for a third successive season.

In their recent league meeting with the Black Cats, Arsenal prevailed 3-1. Wenger’s men attempted 16 shots in the game, whilst completing 88% of their passes – slightly up on their season average success rate of 86%.
www.squawka.com/news/austin-amutu-confirms-he-wants-to-play-for-arsenal/566187
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2016
safarigirl:
Pellegrini must really have it out for Iheanacho....City fans are speculating that maybe Kelechi shagged his grand daughter and that's why he won't give him playing time grin

Anyway, Pelle is just about done with City, they'll really need to get Pep in the Summer....such a long wait
my dear what if pep did't want kelechi
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lakritz: 3:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
So Iheneacho is not good enough to play a carling cup game for man city. These people are sick. EPL-- bench, 4 mins cameo.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:26pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

Nt true. He has nt displaced Dzeko.
I agree he has put up some fantastic performances thus far.He is jst 18 & still needs time to mature. He is a 2017 Flying Eagles prospect IMHO although he may also feature in d Olympics if selected.

I'm sorry was Dzeko injured yesterday? The boy started and scored his second goal in as many matches. What coach will remove him from the lineup after that.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
enomakos:

Lets not start from scratch with the same arguement. If he can keep his place in Roma's starting 11 he must be called for our next friendly.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I'm sorry was Dzeko injured yesterday? The boy started and scored his second goal in as many matches. What coach will remove him from the lineup after that.

Lol! Does that mean he has replaced Dzeko? My brother football is nt like that. I am nt taking anything away from Sadiq Umar. He has shown great potentials and promise bt he still needs time to mature. And I dnt think we should rush him into d Super Eagles yet. Let him go compete for d CF position at d next U20 along with d likes of Awoniyi, Osimhen and Ezeh.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
enomakos:

Is he even better than Isaac Success and Imoh Ezekiel?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

When is the next U20? Is it not next year?

Remember, he will be 20 next year. Although, he is still eligible to play. So, do you expect the lad to wait for some bench warmers before he is eligible to play for the Olympics football game or National team if he continues to see regularly football and scores goals every weeks?

Bros, if he is continues like this he deserves to go to the Olympics football games ahead of any player that is unable to break into his team. Shikena!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2016
forgiveness:

Abegi, help me tell them.

Tell them what? We have youth teams where these talented teenagers can be accommodated, tried and d best of them promoted to d Super Eagles.That is y we have a youths system. U dnt jst pick up teenagers and push them into d Super Eagles.
Sadiq Umar is 18yrs old and should b with d U20 team from which d Super Eagles coaches can assess him for any ppssible call up.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
forgiveness:

When is the next U20? Is it not next year?

Remember, he will be 20 next year. Although, he is still eligible to play. So, do you expect the lad to wait for some bench warmers before he is eligible to play for the Olympics football game or National team if he continues to see regularly football and scores goals every weeks?

Bros, if he is continues like this he deserves to go to the Olympics football games ahead of any player that is unable to break into his team. Shikena!

So Umar scores goals every week? It means by now he would have scored atleast 40 goals. Is he better than Isaac Success and Imoh Ezekiel?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:47pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

Mayb If Iheanacho was English....
U guys here know I am nt d type that hype players. I have always maintained a conservative stance on Iheanacho.
Though I still dnt rate him as highly as most peeps here do, bt i still believe he is better than the playing time he is being given.Iheanacho has shown that he can play both as an AM, SS and a CF. I think he is good enough to even start a couple of EPL games.

If this "snub" by Pellegrini continues into d next season(if Pellegrini remains). Iheanacho should seek a transfer.

I am nt a City fan. Iheanacho's development is important for our national team.

Yes Yes Yes.
Sir you have said it all.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 6:31pm On Jan 07, 2016
Chai. na wa o. So Umar is now ahead of Success, Kelechi, Ajayi, Ezekiel, Etebo, Ighalo (if Sia1 decides to call him) cos he scored 2 goals. Wait, na only strikers we wan carry go Olympics?

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
enomakos:
my dear what if pep did't want kelechi
hard to fathom. Pep likes young, fast players. he plays 19-year old Coman in Bayern regularly as a first teamer despite him being on loan from Juventus, not much difference between Kelechi and Coman.

Players like Toure, DiMichelis, Bony, Fernandinho are the players that may be dropped, not even Kelechi, Kelechi fits into Guardiola's style
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

So Umar scores goals every week? It means by now he would have scored atleast 40 goals. Is he better than Isaac Success and Imoh Ezekiel?

'if' I think you understand that. And if he scores atleast 40 goals, what stops him from playing for the Olympics team and National team?

Abi, A.C Roma na Hungary team?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:04pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

Lol! Does that mean he has replaced Dzeko? My brother football is nt like that. I am nt taking anything away from Sadiq Umar. He has shown great potentials and promise bt he still needs time to mature. And I dnt think we should rush him into d Super Eagles yet. Let him go compete for d CF position at d next U20 along with d likes of Awoniyi, Osimhen and Ezeh.

What else could that mean? That the coach is giving Dzeko a vacation? If a player is in the starting 11 and another in his same position who was a starter is on the bench it means he benched him. Look Dzeko has not been his best since leaving city and the boy has been given a chance which up till now he has grabbed with both hands. If he keeps playing for one of the best club sides in Europe i believe a super eagle call up is normal.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

Tell them what? We have youth teams where these talented teenagers can be accommodated, tried and d best of them promoted to d Super Eagles.That is y we have a youths system. U dnt jst pick up teenagers and push them into d Super Eagles.
Sadiq Umar is 18yrs old and should b with d U20 team from which d Super Eagles coaches can assess him for any ppssible call up.

Somebody playing for A.C Roma is not tested and tried enough to play for the Olympics and the Super Eagles?

Says who?

How old is Kelechi Iheanacho? 19.
How did the likes of Tijani Babangida, Taribo West, Taye Taiwo, Obafemi Martins etcetera broke into the Super Eagles without playing for the youth system?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:40pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

Is he even better than Isaac Success and Imoh Ezekiel?

This isn't politics we don't have to pick a certain player and not route for the rest. These are all very fine players and they should be given their opportinity sooner than later.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
joseph1013:
Chai. na wa o. So Umar is now ahead of Success, Kelechi, Ajayi, Ezekiel, Etebo, Ighalo (if Sia1 decides to call him) cos he scored 2 goals. Wait, na only strikers we wan carry go Olympics?

What forgiveness and Bascovanveli fail to acknowledge is that there are several Nigerian teenagers doing so well presently both in Europe and in Nigeria.
No big deal in Sadiq Umar scoring 2 goals for AS Roma. Several other youngsters have done more. Why single out Sadiq Umar for praise shouting. I am happy for him as a fellow Nigerian bt i still believe he is nt ripe for the Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

This isn't politics we don't have to pick a certain player and not route for the rest. These are all very fine players and they should be given their opportinity sooner than later.

Yes, that's y i say there is opportunity for Umar at our youth teams.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 9:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
Icon4s:

What forgiveness and Bascovanveli fail to acknowledge is that there are several Nigerian teenagers doing so well presently both in Europe and in Nigeria.
No big deal in Sadiq Umar scoring 2 goals for AS Roma. Several other youngsters have done more. Why single out Sadiq Umar for praise shouting. I am happy for him as a fellow Nigerian bt i still believe he is nt ripe for the Super Eagles.

Please, mention them. Thanks
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
forgiveness:

Somebody playing for A.C Roma is not tested and tried enough to play for the Olympics and the Super Eagles?

Says who?

How old is Kelechi Iheanacho? 19.
How did the likes of Tijani Babangida, Taribo West, Taye Taiwo, Obafemi Martins etcetera broke into the Super Eagles without playing for the youth system?

All the players u listed played for our youth teams:

Tijani Babangida: 1993 U20 & 1996 Olympics.
Taribo West: 1993 U20 & 1996 Olympics.
Taye Taiwo: 2005 U20 & 2008 Olympic qualifiers.
Obafemi Martins: 1997 U17. Was part of the team that won the maiden meridian cup for the U17s. Nigeria was disqualified from WC qualifiers due to some administrative lapses. Ifeanyi Udeze was also part of that team.

So bros, the Nigerian youths system has produced our bests and brightests. Sadiq Umar is nt too big a player to nt go through our youths system. We have seen bigger youth players.
I am nt saying Umar should nt b given an opportunity.My take is for an 18yrs old we need him more at the U20 camp.He is nt ripe for d Super Eagles yet.Period.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
forgiveness:

Please, mention them. Thanks

Pls scroll up to Joseph1013's last comment on this page.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by linked: 10:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
After winning the 2015 U23 Caf Africa Cup of Nations title in style, coach Samson Siasia is hopeful of strengthening his squad with the addition of Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Alex Iwobi and Aminu Umar ahead of the Olympic Games in August.

Goal can exclusively reveal that the quartet is included in the final list of players that would play for Nigeria in Rio.

Siasia, who has been on holidays in the United States of America, has kept mute about his plans and programmes for the Olympics leaving.

The coach, however, broke his silence when he spoke about his programme with the Nigeria Football Federation on Tuesday.

A very close confidant of the coach who spoke on condition of anonymity told Goal on Wednesday that Siasia has been thinking of ways to boost the team’s front line that has given him much headache since the 2015 All African Games.

The former Super Eagles coach is not expected to do a total overhaul of the team, but he is eager to inject quality players to make it a very solid and result-oriented one capable of withstanding threats from European and South American opponents that they would face.

“The chief coach has been working all this time he has been in the United States because he told me that time is not on the team’s side again,” the source told Goal.

“What is paramount in his mind is injection of quality and talented players to beef up the team and make it stronger than the one that won the Africa U23 Cup of Nations. He has a limited number of players he is looking at and the search light is on the three departments of the team, attack, midfield and defense, but most importantly the attack and the defense line.

“As I speak with you he has already spoken with Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Alex Iwobi and Aminu Umar to be members of the team. He said with a number of grade A friendlies, these attackers and the other defenders and midfielders that he hopes to introduce to the team would not only fortify it but make it very ready for the battle to conquer the world at the Olympics in Brazil.

‘The chief coach has wonderful plans to surprise the world this time around and he said that both the National Sports Commission and the Nigeria Football Federation have vowed to help him out this time around not like what happened in Senegal during the Africa Championship.”

Siasia, winner of Olympic silver medal as coach in 2008, hopes to go one better this year by bringing home Nigeria’s second gold in the Olympic Games football event.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.