Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,118 members, 7,936,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 02:11 PM

What Is The Essence Of Bride Price - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is The Essence Of Bride Price (839 Views)

Why She Does Not Deserve That Bride Price / Who Is At Fault - The Groom, Bride Or The Side Chick? / What Is The Essence Of Dating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by RAKITIC: 12:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
Just curious about the real reason behind paying bride price because to me it seems some families use it as a medium to enrich themselves by asking for exhorbitant price . Sometimes it looks like the brides family is selling the daughter. Nairalanders over to you what's the real reason or motive behind this act.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 29, 2014
Bride price

Buying the bride from the parents
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by holatin(m): 12:26pm On Nov 29, 2014
ask those that collect too much as bride price
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Hazardd(m): 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
They are just selling daughter and their daughter must be submissive to the ones that bought them(husband)
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Jakeattah(m): 12:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
I guess it means different things to different people

For some, its your pay for all they have invested in the lady u want to take away

Others its just your valuation of the lady (how much do u think she's worth)

and for some, its an avenue to exchange a daughter with a few plots of land or a new car
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by MisterLongman(m): 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2014
If you ask me undecided
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by BreezyRita(f): 1:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
Real reason for exorbitant bride prices or for bride prices??

About bride price, I think its a way of showing the husband the woman is someone's property..... Whatever that means...... Lol.

Parents who demand exorbitant prices most times will tell you their daughter is not cheap. I think that's the idea.... To show their daughter's worth.

But I've seen cases where the bride price was N25 only! They said they're not selling their daughter.....

People have different reasons for it....
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2014
D
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by chibwike(m): 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
Typing
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 29, 2014
REASONABLE bride price is the ultimate symbol of marriage
It's the African man's way of thanking the bride's family for raising a good woman
It also is a sign of the man's commitment to the impending union
It proves a man capable of working hard and sacrificing to provide for his potential family
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2014
I am of the opinion that the tradition of paying bride prices, no matter how reasonable, should be done away with.

I don't think it sufficiently demonstrates the value placed on the lady nor does it show the man's capacity to take care of the material needs of the intending family.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
samflexxy:
Bride price

Buying the bride from the parents
gbam
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by Rich4god(m): 5:32pm On Nov 29, 2014
Well, for me... It has no use... And most times some families more like the "umunna" places some ridiculous amt as bride price only... Witnessed one mysef... I think its high time they do away with it. Not just only bride price, but the "list of items" that normally come along side with it. Let the man do what ever he feels he can/want to do.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Bride Price by ohaleoghene(f): 6:01pm On Nov 29, 2014
Another form of slavery. is a culture thing that give a sense of importance to the woman

(1) (Reply)

Her Fate And My Way Of Life / How To React To Cheating Partners / "YOU LOOK SEXY" Is An Insult Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.