Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,179 members, 7,936,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 06:29 PM

Office Politics - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Office Politics (1646 Views)

Office Politics Issue What Can I Do ? / How To Win The Office Politics Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Politics by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2015
Have you experienced office politics, been a victim or perhaps you involved in the office politic-"Cabals".
A situation where you have to lick your boss behind, where workers have to do illegitimate or illegal activities or lie inorder to climb the ladder, get promoted or even get better pay? This has eventually led to job loss and therefore populating the labour market.

Banks, Parastatal and government agencies are well known for this.

I had a similar experience where my boss wanted me bow to him when greeting him and even wanted me to involve in illegal or illegitimate things . if I start revealing the things that transpired. Smh

Eventually I resigned.

Please, share your experience.
Note: please, do not mention organisations name.
Re: Office Politics by KillerBeauty(f): 7:51pm On Jan 02, 2015
I've never experienced it

1 Like

Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 02, 2015
I remember I and a colleague were competing with getting a promotion for a supervisory role some times back in my former office.
During the qualification test, my boss told the other girl that "sha dont disappoint me". Immediately I wanted to just ask them to give her the job because I knew what would happen even if I passed. Well I dont know if I did better but eventually she was given the job.

Well I left the place for a better place not quite long after that.
Re: Office Politics by ProfGday(m): 11:17pm On Jan 02, 2015
Its everywhere be it in Church,School,Office etc I will tagged as a human social behaviours.For instance u will noticed dat those that shared same opinion form caucus. Once u dnt blong to their group u may face alot of challenges frm dm.
Once u find urself in such situation be DIPLOMATIC.
Women are d chief culprits in office politics...
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 9:20am On Jan 03, 2015
ProfGday:
Its everywhere be it in Church,School,Office etc I will tagged as a human social behaviours.For instance u will noticed dat those that shared same opinion form caucus. Once u dnt blong to their group u may face alot of challenges frm dm.
Once u find urself in such situation be DIPLOMATIC.
Women are d chief culprits in office politics...
it would be nice if you share your experience.
Re: Office Politics by hayoakins(m): 5:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
I once worked as the PA to the MD of an MFB and doubles as the secretary to the board. It was a great way to kick off my career as I was exposed to board room politics where dividend, investment and financial policies were determined ahead of stakeholders and AGM.

Some AGMs are mere formality and just to satisfy the requirement of companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) as amended.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics by aredbros: 5:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
See what to do when you see your self in such situation www.twitter.com/be1thing
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
My ex. experienced this in her previous work place, where they were sleeping with each other inorder for them to keep their jobs. She refused to do it with them, they transferred her to another branch, hoping she was saved not knowing the cabal in her previous place were on good terms with her supervisor, after a few weeks of working she started seeing documents were missing in her care and she asked colleagues no one knew the whereabout of the document, she was a fortunate to see some of the document, she was queried, after some months money kept in her care went missing even when her safe was locked, they cabal at work where at it again she paid as usual, then came the final blow, the supervisor asked her out and she refused........ You know the rest now.

My own experience
I worked in a place where my subordinate never just liked me for no reason, the boss was never around and I was in charge of everything, unknowing to me she had the boss number and had always pass wrong information to him. She intentionally, yes, she is a she, hid a very vital document, only for boss to confirm to me how careless I was based on the stories he has been hearing. I later found out she took it. We had a very heated argument. She threatened to deal with me, I dimissed her threat with a wave of hand. She conspired with the other unit heads..... I had to resign only one unit head was on my side because he was an upright man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 05, 2015
Keep it coming.
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2015
Make una contribute now
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 27, 2015
Oga, where you dey?
GoldenDr:
Have you experienced office politics, been a victim or perhaps you involved in the office politic-"Cabals".
A situation where you have to lick your boss behind, where workers have to do illegitimate or illegal activities or lie inorder to climb the ladder, get promoted or even get better pay? This has eventually led to job loss and therefore populating the labour market.

Banks, Parastatal and government agencies are well known for this.

I had a similar experience where my boss wanted me bow to him when greeting him and even wanted me to involve in illegal or illegitimate things . if I start revealing the things that transpired. Smh

Eventually I resigned.

Please, share your experience.
Note: please, do not mention organisations name.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics by acidtalk: 8:56pm On Jan 27, 2015
Politics is EVERYWHERE. Within the Family, School, Place of work, Social Clubs, amongst friends, etc. What matters most is how well you can play it.

READ!!! There are a couple of great books that can help you always come out victorious if you practice the Instructions well.

Even Nairaland is a BIG political ground.
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 25, 2015
We would have loved you to share your own experience.
acidtalk:
Politics is EVERYWHERE. Within the Family, School, Place of work, Social Clubs, amongst friends, etc. What matters most is how well you can play it.

READ!!! There are a couple of great books that can help you always come out victorious if you practice the Instructions well.

Re: Office Politics by Maczeelly(m): 6:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
Office politics is everywhere
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
You mind sharing yours.
Maczeelly:
Office politics is everywhere
Re: Office Politics by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
You mind recommending one to the teeming Nairaland ers.
acidtalk:

(1) (Reply)

Ab Microfinance Loan Officer / He Is A Good Driver And Needs A Good Job Urgently In Lagos / Who Els Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.