Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,136 members, 7,936,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 03:28 PM

A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business (113661 Views)

Tales Of Losses: Engage Nigeria's Army Of Half Baked Artisans At Your Peril. / Storage Business Onions And Pepper (tatashi) / Onions Business. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

In every business, there is profit and loss. Sincerely, I haven't encountered much loss except for 2 bags of onions that had issues. Some of the onions in the bags got spoiled though not much as the Alhaji boys still sold it at a reasonable price. The fault was mine anyway because I instructed the mallams not to sell the bags hoping I was going to deliver it personally to some persons on the island which I didn't do and the bags was just there. At a point the Alhaji had to call me to get the permission to sell the bag so that the onions won't get spoilt. One of the risk involved in the business is the onions getting spoilt if it is not sold within a week. That is why I do tell those who called me to do their market survey, speak to the unions or market leaders to get a space not a shop its called LADA, get potential buyers before your onions arrives. That way, your onions don't have to stay longer than the required time except if you are storing it.

Onions has its own season. Presently we are in the season of plenty onions. That's why a onions go for N14,000, N15,000, N16,000 its basically cheap. This season of pleanty onions is between the month of January and April towards the first week of May. The scarcity of onions where by a bag of onions will go for N25,000 to N35,000 in the market is between the month of May to July. This period, a bag of onions in the farm will be sold for N15,000 to N18,000. So those who store their onions now, are the ones that will make plenty profit. If you don't store your onions, and you buy from the farm at the rate of N15,000 or Ñ18,000 a bag, one will still sell it N25,000 or more. July to September is the season of plenty onions, this time the price of a bag of onions comes down. October to December through the Second week of January, there is usually scarcity of onions. This season, the price of onions goes up.

There is no season that is not profitable. The only difference is that the season of scarcity is more profitable with the profit margin of N10,000 or more on a bag.

Onions is always in high demand regardless of the season. Some days ago, napolie and I went to the mile 12 market. We saw close to 7 trailers loaded with onions that arrived from the north. All these trailers will offload their onions in that same market and they will sell it all. Its food and everybody eats food everyday. Some canteen, bucca, restaurant and fast food consumes a bag or more onions a day. What about the boarding schools? Hospitals (Kitchen), Companies, orphanage homes, Events and also in our individual homes. I've seen people buy 3 or more bags of onions at a go. A visit to the mile 12 market will explain more. Anything food sells fast.

May God bless you for this detailed reply. I'm actually interested in starting after the elections due to a probable election violence in the northern region. I'm starting with a budget of 150k and for now i will try work on how to get buyer as i am based in oyo state. I hope to come to North in person when ready so i can visit the onion market and see things for myself. I hope you will be available to take me to the market by May ending smiley. Thanks and i will reach out to you for more info.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
searching4love:

May God bless you for this detailed reply. I'm actually interested in starting after the elections due to a probable election violence in the northern region. I'm starting with a budget of 150k and for now i will try work on how to get buyer as i am based in oyo state. I hope to come to North in person when ready so i can visit the onion market and see things for myself. I hope you will be available to take me to the market by May ending smiley. Thanks and i will reach out to you for more info.

No problem sir. Whenever you are ready sir...
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by ozoneamani02(m): 5:31pm On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

To add up to your post, Charanchi market in katsina which is every sunday, Dutsinma market in Katsina which is every wednesday and Yakutungu market in katsina which is every tuesday and friday.
Yakutungu market exactly bro
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by jeffmyson(m): 5:59pm On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

In every business, there is profit and loss. Sincerely, I haven't encountered much loss except for 2 bags of onions that had issues. Some of the onions in the bags got spoiled though not much as the Alhaji boys still sold it at a reasonable price. The fault was mine anyway because I instructed the mallams not to sell the bags hoping I was going to deliver it personally to some persons on the island which I didn't do and the bags was just there. At a point the Alhaji had to call me to get the permission to sell the bag so that the onions won't get spoilt. One of the risk involved in the business is the onions getting spoilt if it is not sold within a week. That is why I do tell those who called me to do their market survey, speak to the unions or market leaders to get a space not a shop its called LADA, get potential buyers before your onions arrives. That way, your onions don't have to stay longer than the required time except if you are storing it.

Onions has its own season. Presently we are in the season of plenty onions. That's why a onions go for N14,000, N15,000, N16,000 its basically cheap. This season of pleanty onions is between the month of January and April towards the first week of May. The scarcity of onions where by a bag of onions will go for N25,000 to N35,000 in the market is between the month of May to July. This period, a bag of onions in the farm will be sold for N15,000 to N18,000. So those who store their onions now, are the ones that will make plenty profit. If you don't store your onions, and you buy from the farm at the rate of N15,000 or Ñ18,000 a bag, one will still sell it N25,000 or more. July to September is the season of plenty onions, this time the price of a bag of onions comes down. October to December through the Second week of January, there is usually scarcity of onions. This season, the price of onions goes up.

There is no season that is not profitable. The only difference is that the season of scarcity is more profitable with the profit margin of N10,000 or more on a bag.

Onions is always in high demand regardless of the season. Some days ago, napolie and I went to the mile 12 market. We saw close to 7 trailers loaded with onions that arrived from the north. All these trailers will offload their onions in that same market and they will sell it all. Its food and everybody eats food everyday. Some canteen, bucca, restaurant and fast food consumes a bag or more onions a day. What about the boarding schools? Hospitals (Kitchen), Companies, orphanage homes, Events and also in our individual homes. I've seen people buy 3 or more bags of onions at a go. A visit to the mile 12 market will explain more. Anything food sells fast.

I don't exactly agree with you! You are still in the learning curve and it has not completed it full cycle. I have been in the commodity business for many years and I can assure you that there are far more problems associated with the business than you are willing to admit.

For every business there are potential risk factors, you may not know all of them for now because you have not encountered them, but in due course, experience will be the best teacher.

You have painted the business as all rosy and nice, but to be candid many people will not investigate well before jumping and will inevitably get their fingers burnt! What worked for you might not work for others.

Another issue I would like to raise is that, how do you plan to add value to the business because I can see that you are just doing it the way everyone currently does it? What value are you going to bring into the value chain to differentiate your products from the rest of the pack and keep you in business for the long run? Because from my experience "me too" businesses don't last more than 6 Months or at most a year? .

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:01pm On Feb 24, 2015
searching4love:

Catered4 why did you ignore my post afterall i'm also trying to learn like others. Kindly answer my questions please. thank you

I'm so so sorry sir. Please forgive my manners sir. Can you please quote me and ask your question again?
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 24, 2015
Catered4:

I'm so so sorry sir. Please forgive my manners sir. Can you please quote me and ask your question again?

you already answered. meanwhile your humility is legendary. You are blessing to your man

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 24, 2015
searching4love:

Catered4 why did you ignore my post afterall i'm also trying to learn like others. Kindly answer my questions please. thank you

I'm so sorry sir. Please forgive my manners. Can you please quote me and ask your questions again?
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 24, 2015
searching4love:

you already answered. meanwhile your humility is legendary. You are blessing to your man

Thank you sir.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:32pm On Feb 24, 2015
Unique3:
I tried reaching you on whatsapp, sent you an e-mail earlier, but got no response. I'm interested, please can we chat? Thanks

I'm so sorry ma. Please forgive me. Send me SMS and I will call you ma.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 24, 2015
cmespeak:
Also Madam try get laptop na, it will really help in yr research online and properly givin feedback to questions asked.internet data bundles are cheap nw or u could use yr phone internet, i dey follw yr thread steadily.

I left it in sokoto so I'm using my phone...
Sorry for the inconvenience sir.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
buruike:
@Catered4
I PM you but you haven't responded.
wanted to ask for your contact number

Its on the thread sir
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by echoedwalls: 7:05pm On Feb 24, 2015
Hi,
@catered4;thanks for being a mentor.
Please can I also get chilli pepper from that end(ATA. JOSE)? It's the short red chilli pepper.
Thanks
PS: Please house,I appreciate responses from every one.
Many thanks
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by echoedwalls: 7:11pm On Feb 24, 2015
This is a picture of 'ATA JOSE'
Thank you

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by seanswitch(m): 11:31pm On Feb 24, 2015
Madam u fo dey teach business studies too o cheesy. See explanation
Catered4:

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 11:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
seanswitch:
Madam u fo dey teach business studies too o cheesy. See explanation

You sound like an EBook seller. No offense cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Krucifax(m): 12:51am On Feb 25, 2015
Hello Catered4 your posts have been very useful and enlightening. I wish you long term success.Please I have a few questions about the agri/food business seeing as you are in the business you may have an idea.

Q: How lucrative is buying and selling Garri, Rice,Beans?
Q: Can you shed any light on the ins and outs of the business? Like if it's better to supply or own a market stall.Also things like minimum start up capital required, likely profits and negatives like price fluctuations and perishability.

Any advice you can give or find would be greatly appreciated. God bless your hustle and family. Cheers.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:01am On Feb 25, 2015
jeffmyson:

I don't exactly agree with you! You are still in the learning curve and it has not completed it full cycle. I have been in the commodity business for many years and I can assure you that there are far more problems associated with the business than you are willing to admit.

For every business there are potential risk factors, you may not know all of them for now because you have not encountered them, but in due course, experience will be the best teacher.

You have painted the business as all rosy and nice, but to be candid many people will not investigate well before jumping and will inevitably get their fingers burnt! What worked for you might not work for others.

Another issue I would like to raise is that, how do you plan to add value to the business because I can see that you are just doing it the way everyone currently does it? What value are you going to bring into the value chain to differentiate your products from the rest of the pack and keep you in business for the long run? Because from my experience "me too" businesses don't last more than 6 Months or at most a year? .
Haba! No where in her posts so far has she claimed to be a guru in the business. For someone who just started the business within 2 months, surely you don't need a seer to understand it's also a learning curve for her too. You are actually the one claiming to have more experience, so why not gracefully share with us all seeing we are green.

Again, you are simply expecting too much from this woman by asking her to explain how she intends to add value to the business! One, she owes no one any explanation on how to run her business or theirs. She has done what a lot of people would not do already; lifting the veil on entering this business; it's your responsibility to do whatever you please with the info she has shared so far. Taking the business to the next level is surely YOUR responsibility. If you feel the need to shed more light, we will all be glad to learn. Please let's not bring in any sense of entitlement here. If anything, she deserves our commendation. Cheers!

31 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 25, 2015
Krucifax:
Hello Catered4 your posts have been very useful and enlightening. I wish you long term success.Please I have a few questions about the agri/food business seeing as you are in the business you may have an idea.

Q: How lucrative is buying and selling Garri, Rice,Beans?
Q: Can you shed any light on the ins and outs of the business? Like if it's better to supply or own a market stall.Also things like minimum start up capital required, likely profits and negatives like price fluctuations and perishability.

Any advice you can give or find would be greatly appreciated. God bless your hustle and family. Cheers.

Not trying to undermine the importance of your requests, the woman deals in onions, not rice, beans or gari. Surely you can use the search engines to locate those who deal in the above mentioned, even this agric section has many posts related to your request. Again, apart from beans, which is farmed in the North, the other two items can be more readily sourced down south here. All I'm saying is do your own research. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 7:23am On Feb 25, 2015
Unique3:

Haba! No where in her posts so far has she claimed to be a guru in the business. For someone who just started the business within 2 months, surely you don't need a seer to understand it's also a learning curve for her too. You are actually the one claiming to have more experience, so why not gracefully share with us all seeing we are green.

Again, you are simply expecting too much from this woman by asking her to explain how she intends to add value to the business! One, she owes no one any explanation on how to run her business or theirs. She has done what a lot of people would not do already; lifting the veil on entering this business; it's your responsibility to do whatever you please with the info she has shared so far. Taking the business to the next level is surely YOUR responsibility. If you feel the need to shed more light, we will all be glad to learn. Please let's not bring in any sense of entitlement here. If anything, she deserves our commendation. Cheers!

1,000,000 likes

11 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by seanswitch(m): 8:14am On Feb 25, 2015
searching4love:

You sound like an EBook seller. No offense cool
I just dey salute her effort at explaining everything in details.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 25, 2015
Good Morning Nairalanders. I want to say a big thank you to everyone. To those following the thread, whatsapp, e-mail and facebook God bless you very plenty and may this year 2015 be your year of breakthrough to everybody IJN. To those who visited me, I say thank you.

I will like to make some things clear to everyone. I'm not in any way trying to spoil anybody business. Me giving out my own little knowlege or experience does not affect anyone business or mine. I'm still a learner in this line of business and i want to believe we can all rub minds together. We cant know it all, we learn everyday. I'm not a middle man and I'm not planning to be one. So the middle men and agents not happy with what I'm doing, please forgive my manners.

In agri-business we have a lot of foods to tap into. There are foods we can get from the north and there are also foods we can get from the south. The opportunity is still very much opened.
I will post the cost of each foods that can be gotten from the north i.e farm price, transportation and other charges. I will also post the market price of each foods on this thread. That will help in calculating the profit margin as thats what most of my brothers and sisters here are after LOL.

For those that have an idea of how much foods like palm oil, plantain, yam flour, garri and other foods that can be taken to the north cost, kindly help us by dropping the price or an insight of what it entails and also the market or farm where the foods can be gotten in bulk. So that those that want to take food from the south to the north can have an idea.

The widow who called me 3 days ago, please call me as soon as you can. I cant find your number on my phone.
Also tunde from abuja who wanted an appointment, please call me as soon as you can. I cant find your number on my phone.
Miss Biliki from maiduguri (Dry Fish Supplier), please call me, your attention is needed.

To those expecting their bags of onions today, please do remember to share your experience with the house. I wish you all the best and successful sales.

Those going into other food stuff, I will try as much as possible to drop the cost of each food here on the thread.

All those who has been asking to see me, a particular date will be fixed and announced on the thread. Don't worry, for no charges #winks.

All those who want to go into dry fish business, please drop your interest.

Please all mails and whatsapp chat will be replied as soon as I can. Please bear with me.

Thank you and God Bless You All.

Ibijoke O.M

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 25, 2015
Unique3:

Not trying to undermine the importance of your requests, the woman deals in onions, not rice, beans or gari. Surely you can use the search engines to locate those who deal in the above mentioned, even this agric section has many posts related to your request. Again, apart from beans, which is farmed in the North, the other two items can be more readily sourced down south here. All I'm saying is do your own research. Cheers!

Are you single? I want to marry you grin your intelligence is amazing. Thumbs up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 25, 2015
emmykk:
Oh God bless you guys.am getting there. Once again thank you.

But is the last column. With Lagos to kano 6900
For cargo area

Yes sir
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by jeffmyson(m): 11:03am On Feb 25, 2015
Unique3:

No where did I intend to create a wrong impression. I really appreciate what the OP has done, however I was only sounding a word of caution to would be "me too" folks who are planning to jump into the business without proper investigation of the ups and downs involved. You will agree with me that the woman invested a lot of time and efforts before starting up the venture and did her home work properly but a lot of folks like the easy way out and may not put any effort but wants the money to just double in their pockets.

Don't worry in a few weeks time, some people will come and start complaining that the OP mislead them and they lost money, that is why I said what works for one person may not work for the other!

Everybody is now jumping into the onions trade because she succeeded not realising that there are other products that are equally profitable.

The bottomline is that everyone should study the business in relative to their own environment.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 25, 2015
jeffmyson:

No where did I intend to create a wrong impression. I really appreciate what the OP has done, however I was only sounding a word of caution to would be "me too" folks who are planning to jump into the business without proper investigation of the ups and downs involved. You will agree with me that the woman invested a lot of time and efforts before starting up the venture and did her home work properly but a lot of folks like the easy way out and may not put any effort but wants the money to just double in their pockets.

Don't worry in a few weeks time, some people will come and start complaining that the OP mislead them and they lost money, that is why I said what works for one person may not work for the other!

Everybody is now jumping into the onions trade because she succeeded not realising that there are other products that are equally profitable.

The bottomline is that everyone should study the business in relative to their own environment.

Cheers!

Do you have an idea of food stuffs that are uncommon in the north but plenty in the south? I'm thinking of shipping stuffs to north and back to south for sale
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by jeffmyson(m): 11:23am On Feb 25, 2015
searching4love:

Do you have an idea of food stuffs that are uncommon in the north but plenty in the south? I'm thinking of shipping stuffs to north and back to south for sale

I know that Plantain, red oil all comes from the south to the north.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 25, 2015
jeffmyson:

I know that Plantain, red oil all comes from the south to the north.

Ok
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by echoedwalls: 12:37pm On Feb 25, 2015
Thanks a million. You are really one in a million.
Please, kindly include'ATA JOSE' and 'CAMEROUN PEPPER' too.
Thanks

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by debbydee(f): 5:06pm On Feb 25, 2015
For those who need beautiful clothes and good fabrics please call 08185391880 or add me on 25d43f96
thanks. Wish you all the best
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 25, 2015
I so love this woman. You are always in my prayers, God will continually increase you. I'm the one contacting you on whatsapp from Ife, that I already have 5 buyers but I'm yet to get my capital, I'l keep trying so I can meet up with next weeks supply.

When do you intend to buy the goods for next week?
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2015
debbydee:
For those who need beautiful clothes and good fabrics please call 08185391880 or add me on 25d43f96
thanks. Wish you all the best

Open your thread and don't be lazy. You're taking advantage of the OP's traffic to sell your wears. That's unfair

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Archangelhenrio(m): 7:11pm On Feb 25, 2015
searching4love:

Open your thread and don't be lazy. You're taking advantage of the OP's traffic to sell your wears. That's unfair

Lol! Eeyaa...it's not fair ooo. Upon the Whole Love wey you been dey search 4(Searching4Love), you still dey tackle Debby like dis. You neva know weda she be d next Cathered4 for you. OYA! Use 5 Live Cows wit 20 bags of Onions( those ones of 11k) beg am...

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (28) (Reply)

Are you on steemit??....let's Meet Here... / Anatomy Of An Entrepreneur / 12 Things You Need To Know About Bank Verification Number (BVN)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.