Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,202 members, 7,936,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 09:00 PM

Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers (1287 Views)

Ekiti Lawmakers 'offered' $1m To Remove Fayose / Fayose, Ekiti Lawmakers Hold Thanksgiving Service At Deeper Life: Photos / APC Asks 19 Ekiti Lawmakers To Return (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Muza(m): 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2009
Gunmen attack Ekiti lawmakers 25/1/2009

By Adewale Adeoye

Men armed with sophisticated weapons yesterday were said to have visited the homes of two Action Congress, AC members of the Ekiti State House of Assembly.

The recent development is coming less than three weeks after a prominent son of the state, Mr Kehinde Fasubaa was murdered by armed men in circumstances suspected to be driven by internal politics.

The Action Congress, AC in the state said that the armed men had visited to ‘assassinate the two law makers’, adding that it was in line with the ‘trend in the state’ controlled by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

The members attacked yesterday were the AC leader of the House, Hon. Funminiyi Afuye (Ikerre Constituency) and Hon. David Taiwo (Ado-Ekiti Constituency).

Sources told The Nation that the armed men first visited Hon Taiwo who represents Ado-Ekiti Constituency 2 where they fired several gun shots into the air after failing to locate the lawmaker who was said to have hidden himself in a safe place in the compound of his home.

Eyewitnesses claimed that the armed men came to the private home of Hon Taiwo in two vehicles and that all of the visitors were armed.

In a separate incidence, another set of five armed men were said to have visited the family home of Hon Afuye in Ikerre, the twin city of Ado-Ekiti also on Saturday and displayed the same act of brigandage. ‘The leader of the gang told a terrified household that he was in Ikere to kill the honourable and teach him a lesson. He said the gang had been sent to eliminate the lawmaker, ’ Mr Yemi Adaramodu, spokesperson of the ACin Ekiti told The Nation yesterday.

Narrating his ordeal, Hon Taiwo said the armed men came around 8.30pm yesterday in an unmarked Peugeot car. He said four of the armed men came into the house and ransacked the entire building after which his wife and children were manhandled. Other armed men, he said, stood on guard.

‘I got home around 8pm. I was

coming from the city centre. I was outside playing with my children when I noticed strange voices. The armed men drove into the house. I quickly ran, since it appeared they were far off and could not immediately recognise me. They were asking where is the man, where is the man. We will kill him, we have the authority to kill him.His life has been paid for.

They harassed my wife and children telling them they have been paid to come and kill me. They latter took away my Toyota Avensus car and drove it away. I am convinced they are not armed robbers. They are hired assassins, ’ Hon Taiwo told The Nation in a late night chat on Saturday.

He said he made futile attempts to reach the police but that the police did not pick the emergency lines. He said apart from the Toyota Avensus, the armed men also made away with several valuables.

Afuye said the armed men came to his house with sophisticated guns. He stated: ‘They were in civilian clothing. They drove every body in the house away and searched frantically for me with the obvious intention to kill him. They told my family members that they were bent on carrying out the orders of some powerful people in the state to eliminate me’

Adaramodu said the latest attack on the two members of the House was the third on AC lawmakers in less than two weeks.

He said that earlier in the week, another AC lawmaker, Hon Biola Olowokere was visited by armed men who vowed they would eliminate him. ‘We see clearly a conscious attempt to turn Ekiti State into a Gestapo. They are planning to turn this beautiful homeland of ours into a state of blood under the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP controlled executive. The motive of the attacks is to ensure the AC members support the anti-people budgets that the government is bent on imposing on the people and the State House of Assembly’ Adarmodu said.

Barely two weeks ago, a Senatorial aspirant in the PDP in Ekiti State, Mr Kehinde Fasubaa, was gunned down by yet to be identified armed men.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=75674
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by asha80(m): 9:18pm On Jan 25, 2009
Earthmama ngwa come and defend your state. tongue
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by osisi2(f): 9:24pm On Jan 25, 2009
The rate of political assasinations in Nigeria esp Western Nigeria is alarming.
This is so sad.
A whole Chief Justice of a nation was assasinated in cold blood and no one saw a thing.
Our nation is in a sorry state.
That can happen anywhere in Naija though
a lawless nation
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Muza(m): 9:25pm On Jan 25, 2009
theres nothing to defend here

**osisi:

The rate of political assasinations in Nigeria esp Western Nigeria is alarming.
This is so sad.
A whole Chief Justice of a nation was aasasinated in cold blood and no one saw a thing.
Our nation is in a sorry state.
especially ekiti. . .
its rather unfortunate
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 25, 2009
Eartmama is from osun and not Ekiti. By the way, those assassins are from other parts of the country and their sole intent is to discredit the wonderful state called Ekiti.
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by MrCrackles(m): 9:30pm On Jan 25, 2009
Ekiti in the news again! undecided
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 25, 2009
Detractors
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by asha80(m): 9:32pm On Jan 25, 2009
@Xavier
how do you know the assasins are not from ekiti?Are you from ekiti?
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by osisi2(f): 9:33pm On Jan 25, 2009
Xavier.:

Eartmama is from osun and not Ekiti. By the way, those assassins are from other parts of the country and their sole intent is to discredit the wonderful state called Ekiti.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 25, 2009
Ekitis are just incapable of guile or murder. Am from Ekiti, so I know.
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by osisi2(f): 9:40pm On Jan 25, 2009
Xavier.:

where is kobojunkie
This is a good time for a good

ROFLMAO

but they're capable of hiring aliens for murder of political opponents shocked shocked shocked
another dose of

ROFLMAO
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by ikeyman00(m): 9:56pm On Jan 25, 2009
osisi

u got it right there

plenty dose ooo hahhah of roflmao

plenty plenty dose

hahhaaaaaaaaa
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by UNLEASHED(m): 10:13pm On Jan 25, 2009
Xavier.:

Hmm!
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by ikeyman00(m): 10:37pm On Jan 25, 2009
maybe from benin republic of nigera1
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 25, 2009
Xavier.:

I just fell in love with your for that statement kiss kiss kiss kiss smiley
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by bawomolo(m): 11:00pm On Jan 25, 2009
The Nigerian Police needs to immediately deal with the goats in Ekiti.
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 25, 2009
bawomolo:

The Nigerian Police needs to immediately deal with the goats in Ekiti.
After they're done dealing with the ones in your state
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by earTHMama: 11:12pm On Jan 25, 2009
After they're done dealing with the ones in your state
He's talking about real goats and not human beings. It's just humor .
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by lucabrasi(m): 12:56pm On Jan 26, 2009
@post
this is really sad and alarming and i think something really needs to be done to curb these incessant killings, especially in ekiti state, its just a shame that a state/area with such high number of supposed professors and educatedd nigerians have degenerated to a virtual jungle
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by asha80(m): 12:59pm On Jan 26, 2009
@post
this is really sad and alarming and i think something really needs to be done to curb these incessant killings, especially in ekiti state, its just a shame that a state/area with such high number of supposed professors and educatedd nigerians have degenerated to a virtual jungle

Proffesorship - impact on society = zero
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by thetruth90: 1:14pm On Jan 26, 2009
LEAVE ALONE MY BELOVED EKITI. EVERY STATE HAS HER OWN PROBLEMS

asha 80:

[/b]

Proffesorship - impact on society = zero

i believe that applies to your state.

Xavier.:

thank you my brother. we have faith in our state.

lucabrasi:

@post

which state are you from? i will be willing to discuss her problems with her supposed illiterates and nuisances.
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by lucabrasi(m): 1:33pm On Jan 26, 2009
@the truth90
whats my state got to do with anything?its suffice to say for the benefit of this discourse that there isnt a spate of killings and assasinations going on there.
all states,in fact nigeria has her problems but,killings/assasinations e.t.c on a regular basis is more or less a state of emergency and not comparable to any state in nigeria,safe the religious/thnic/political riots which was a one off, face the facts and admit the clear and present danger in your state instead of this kind of patriotism
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by thetruth90: 1:39pm On Jan 26, 2009
lucabrasi:

@the truth90
whats my state got to do with anything?its suffice to say for the benefit of this discourse that there isnt a spate of killings and assasinations going on there.
all states,in fact nigeria has her problems but,killings/assasinations e.t.c on a regular basis is more or less a state of emergency and not comparable to any state in nigeria,safe the religious/thnic/political riots which was a one off, face the facts and admit the clear and present danger in your state instead of this kind of patriotism

SHUT UP. lipsrsealed

and once again

thetruth90:

LEAVE ALONE MY BELOVED EKITI. EVERY STATE HAS HER OWN PROBLEMS

Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by debosky(m): 1:47pm On Jan 26, 2009
Ekiti politics is always so RUTHLESS - for the second/third poorest state in Nigeria, it is truly a shame.

The little allocation they get from the FG is frittered away on political appointees and corruption. The PDP government in place is doing all in it's power to cow the opposition so it can do as it pleases.

Ondo state is not much better. . . .this is what happens when honourable Yoruba people decide to stay on the sidelines and allow rogues and thugs to run their political systems.

In addition, the legendary stubbornness of Ekiti people is also a factor in these issues. Only a stubborn man will continue to make noise after just being threatened. grin grin
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by lucabrasi(m): 3:41pm On Jan 26, 2009
thetruth90:

SHUT UP. lipsrsealed

this is not an insult but a question
are you ok??
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by thetruth90: 3:56pm On Jan 26, 2009
lucabrasi:

this is not an insult but a question
are you ok??

i am perfectly ok. what about you? i can only hope you are ok.
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by hajifaty: 4:05pm On Jan 26, 2009
Ekiti and their kitikiti politics. sad
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by osisi2(f): 4:12pm On Jan 26, 2009
It's the Igbos in the state that are killing the indigenes grin
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 26, 2009
**osisi:

It's the Igbos in the state that are killing the indigenes grin

no, it must be the work of the ekiti muslim polygamists. . .those nasty people breeding hired killers. the good christian yorubas have no hand in this calumny grin
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by lucabrasi(m): 6:05pm On Jan 26, 2009
thetruth90:

i am perfectly ok. what about you? i can only hope you are ok.
thank GOD for that, i wasnt sure cause a made a comment and you went off on a tangent as if your last name is ekiti, drop this blind patriotism and make comments objectively
Re: Again: Gunmen Attack Ekiti Lawmakers by debosky(m): 6:12pm On Jan 26, 2009
oyb:

no, it must be the work of the ekiti muslim polygamists. . .those nasty people breeding hired killers. the good christian yorubas have no hand in this calumny grin
Muslims? No it must be the recidivist traditionalists - how dare these people denigrate the culture of our forefathers? The babalawos are simply employing modern and cost efficient methods to poison/African Remote Control for neutralizing your enemies. Why waste your ACR to mess with an opponent when you can use it to vacation in Hawaii? grin

(1) (Reply)

Re:mobil Agrees To Pay Comandclem $236.9 Billion(document Attached) / Nigeria Slides In Ti Corruption Index / PhysicsMHD: My Prediction In 2008 About Bode George,Bring business to Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.