Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,097 members, 7,936,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 01:18 PM

When Is Marriage Consummated? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Is Marriage Consummated? (1051 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is Marriage Consummated? by Motunmi: 12:39pm On Jan 28, 2009
Hi all,

This question has been on mind for a very long time and I hope NLders will help with their contributions.

" when is marriage actually consummated?". Is it when the two parties involved decide/ agree to marry each other or when the parents of both parties are aware/give their consent or when the drums and the celebration fills the air?.

How does the Nigerian culture look at it?

What does religion has to say about it?

Contributions are welcomed.
Re: When Is Marriage Consummated? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:01pm On Jan 28, 2009
until u are legally joined as man and wife whether at d registry, church/mosque or traditionally u are not married.
Re: When Is Marriage Consummated? by Motunmi: 3:10pm On Jan 28, 2009
ok,
Re: When Is Marriage Consummated? by ladydom: 6:11pm On Jan 28, 2009
Oes it mean that i have not been married cos it was only Traditional or Engagement that i have done but we are planning for Wedding or Church Blessing cos we catholics, we are living together as Man & Wife and even have an issue
Re: When Is Marriage Consummated? by StPaul1: 3:49am On Jan 29, 2009
Remember that marriage is a covenant before God and not before men as people will have you to believe. If we know that, there will be no such problems associated with marriages this days. Marriage takes place when you and the person take a covenant before God and this marriage is sealed by sexual union, between the two, when the two have now become one flesh!

see what the Bible says

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

The keyword is cleave. There is no mention nor inference of a wedding, nor of a pastor or priest, nor of a justice of the peace.

Jesus refers to that passage in Genesis when defining marriage. In Matthew 19:6 he says,

"Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said,

"For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

But Paul really sinks the clincher in 1st Corinthians 6:16, when he also quotes that defining passage in Genesis 2:24:

"What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh."

IN THE SIGHT OF GOD YOU ARE MARRIED WHEN YOU GIVE ANOTHER YOUR VIRGINITY

Genesis 29:21
Finally the time came for him to marry her.
"I have fulfilled my contract," Jacob said to Laban. "Now give me my wife, so that I can sleep with her."
TLB

The SLEEP WITH HER is the marriage!

To repeat, There are many ways of being formally married in society, and even in the church, but the real marriage takes place at virginity. Your wife is the one who gave her virginity to you, and you as a man are accountable to her, whether you were formally married, whether you yourself were a virgin at the time, or whether you masturbated or had sex beforehand, or even if you were formally married to someone else at the time.
Re: When Is Marriage Consummated? by TOYOSI20(f): 6:15am On Jan 29, 2009
@ Topic

I believe its when a man and woman are joined together lawfully, for in the midst of their loved ones

according to their religion or traditional rights as husband and wife. . , smiley

(1) (Reply)

Hello Darling/honey/hubby, Our Baby Might Not Be Yours: What Will U Do? / My Husband's Killers Danced Round His Corpse Before Leaving / Advice Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.