Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,228 members, 7,936,784 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 11:13 PM

Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? (19574 Views)

Is Pastor Kumuyi Really A Human Being? / The Devil Is Powerless Without Your Fear. / A Prayerless Christian Is A Playing Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by 2sex(m): 2:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
The level of bullshyt that is religion is amazing.

I have never been more at peace with my life ever since I started thinking for myself.
smiley smiley smiley The story of my life will amaze you. Truth, you don't really need a church to be at peace with God, your destiny with God is personal not via pastoral proxies. It's completely personal. This does not mean because you don't want to go to church then you shouldn't read your bible.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by kevoh(m): 2:13pm On Apr 26, 2015
Why your prayer a.k.a talking to yourself doesn't work.

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by MistarT(m): 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2015
The ''Jesus'' I aforesaid should be in block letters why the other way round?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by DollyParton1(f): 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs what then do you have to say about the bible verse that admonishes Christians to pray without ceasing?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by movyyzz(m): 2:15pm On Apr 26, 2015
christaddicted:
Op, prayer is as essential as the air you breath.
How else will you communicate to/with God if not through prayer.

Besides, prayer is one of the major acts of righteousness. They re as follows:
-Prayer
-Fast
-Give (give or devote your time(quality time with God in the place of studying the Word), treasure & talent to the will,commandment or law of God & to His kingdom)

If you don't pray, you become a prey.
Scriptural back-up from the old and new testament..... please....
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Johncuppa(m): 2:16pm On Apr 26, 2015
femi4:
Shey na my words be that? That was the scripture. If you like, swim in your folly

Yes! They did not only prayed, they were constantly praying Acts 1:14 before they receive d Power in Acts 2:4. Acts 2:1 says ...they were all together in one place. Wat do u tink they were doing? ..
.. Constantly in prayer Acts 1:24.

#shalom
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by femi4: 2:18pm On Apr 26, 2015
Johncuppa:

Yes! They did not only prayed, they were constantly praying Acts 1:14 before they receive d Power in Acts 2:4. Acts 2:1 says ...they were all together in one place. Wat do u tink they were doing? ..
.. Constantly in prayer Acts 1:24.

#shalom
Thank you jare.....
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by rabbuy(m): 2:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
What then is it about?
its about a lot more..and I am a guy who is tryin to tell everyone that there is someone who can save anyone ..miss don't look @ people and their religiousness there is a sayin that says the arm of flesh shall fail... Its all about JESUS.. Whether anyone likes it or not their is life after death that's why I don't agree without the yolo rubbish
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by rabbuy(m): 2:25pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
What then is it about?
its about a lot more..and I am a guy who is tryin to tell everyone that there is someone who can save anyone ..miss don't look @ people and their religiousness there is a sayin that says the arm of flesh shall fail... Its all about JESUS.. Whether anyone likes it or not there is life after death that's why I don't agree without the yolo rubbish
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by An0nimus: 2:25pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs:

I know buddy, I know.

How's that possible? How did he stir up that power without praying? Meanwhile, you cannot use what you're ignorant of.

If you're born again today, and received the Holy Spirit, you are endowed with incredible powers as mighty as Jesus is, however, if you don't know you have this, how do you then use it? The fact that you don't know about the law of gravity does not mean it does not exist, but when you do, you'd know how to use it to your advantage.

If you know you have power by God's Spirit and don't know how to get it working, does that make you powerless?

But when you know... Guess what? You immediately put it to use.. Paul thought so too..

Gal 4:3
Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world

We're on the same page and you reiterated my question in a way as seen in the bolded. Before the enemy/the shortcomings of the flesh, is that person seen as powerless in such a way he can't emerge victorious?

First thing I did after reading the OP was to search for the word 'Power' and the results were shocking a bit. Still looking for a place where prayer is directly responsible for power.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Yasher: 2:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
Prayer doesn't bring power. You received power along with The Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8, 10:38 to mention a few. Prayer is one of the ways through which you exercise this power.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by An0nimus: 2:28pm On Apr 26, 2015
Sadly, a few have understood the OP to be against prayer.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by psalmade(m): 2:30pm On Apr 26, 2015
As Christians,we can't survive without prayers cos the Bible says we should put on the whole armour of Christ which prayer is one

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 2:32pm On Apr 26, 2015
DollyParton1:
Gombs what then do you have to say about the bible verse that admonishes Christians to pray without ceasing?

I never said prayer is not good, or should be reduced. Are you sure you read the OP or just the topic?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by bxcode(m): 2:33pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing

Prayer leads to a false sense of accomplishment. That false sense of accomplishment stymies action to address real world problems.

While the main purpose of prayer may be to help others, it never demonstrably does that. Prayers benefit only those believers who say or hear them. Prayer gives them comfort. It lets them think they have some control over a situation that may be out of their hands. It’s the last resort of people who have run out of ideas, and the first resort of people who never bothered to think about how they could actually fix the problem at hand.

It is illogical, even in religious terms. If God has a plan, why try to thwart it? If God can be swayed by prayers, what kind of God would allow the horrors we see in the world? And if two devout believers pray for different things, how does God choose the winner?

In Conclusion Prayer is useless and as such does not give or make someone powerful
With all due respect sir, your points are purely based on sentiments and full of negative assertions. Prayer is useless?? like seriously? Even Jesus started and ended with prayer. Prayer is one of the ways you communicate with God and call down his presence and it's main purpose is not to help others as you said, I can decide to offer a prayer of thanksgiving to God, or to plead for the remission of my sins and so on. God can be swayed with prayers if you do it rightly and exercise faith, you know why God allows all the bad things happening to happen? because it's his will and that's why he is GOD and nobody can question his authority. why did he allow devil to exist? why did he create that forbidden fruit when he knows that man may be deceived into eating it art the end? you can compose a plethora of question for why he does this and that, but the fact still remains that he is still God. cool
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 2:34pm On Apr 26, 2015
An0nimus:

We're on the same page and you reiterated my question in a way as seen in the bolded. Before the enemy/the shortcomings of the flesh, is that person seen as powerless in such a way he can't emerge victorious?

First thing I did after reading the OP was to search for the word 'Power' and the results were shocking a bit. Still looking for a place where prayer is directly responsible for power.

Wow! Nice lines

Cc
Ishilove
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by freecocoa(f): 2:35pm On Apr 26, 2015
rabbuy:
its about a lot more..and I am a guy who is tryin to tell everyone that there is someone who can save anyone ..miss don't look @ people and their religiousness there is a sayin that says the arm of flesh shall fail... Its all about JESUS.. Whether anyone likes it or not there is life after death that's why I don't agree without the yolo rubbish
You say it's not about religion but Jesus, how do you separate Jesus from the religion christianity?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 2:37pm On Apr 26, 2015
RockMaxi:

@Gombs, where and what is your ministry?

Can you be plainer?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 2:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
You say it's not about religion but Jesus, how do you separate Jesus from the religion christianity?

Christianity is not a religion. In religion you are trying to get close to God, eg all world's religion, it's only in Christianity you find God trying to get close to man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Apex32: 2:41pm On Apr 26, 2015
A prayerless xtain is a powerless one, is like an empty bucket. I pray God will not make us a powerless one nd we will not bcom meat for any IJN
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by specco(m): 2:44pm On Apr 26, 2015
This is a dangerous teaching. Prayer is very important in the life of a christian to make him effective. Op no matter how powerful you think you are, if you dont prayer often to energise your spirit man, then you are a dissaster waiting to happen. As powerful as the Lord Jesus is, he still withdraws into a solitary place to pray. The bible says that we should pray without ceasing.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by kay1one2(m): 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs:

Maybe you skipped this line in the OP

As for the praying and fasting thing to cast out a demon or do the miraculous, it's not that prayer gave you the power, it only stirred it up.

2Ti 1:6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands

You can't have power without the Holy Spirit.

You can't have the Holy Spirit without prayer!

Matthew 7:9-11 NIV

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by oyeludef(m): 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
Prayer and faith are two weapons that mustn't b lacking in d life of any true believer. Instead of looking for passages to justify prayerlessness, just pray to God to strengthen ur prayerlife. I agree with you that its the Holy Spirit that brings the power but from d scripture we see that its usually prayer that preceeds the powerful demonstration of the Spirit of God.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Dpearlz: 3:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
Yasher:
Prayer doesn't bring power. You received power along with The Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8, 10:38 to mention a few. Prayer is one of the ways through which you exercise this power.

But after receiving Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour, you've got to PRAY to God to give you the gift of the Holy Spirit before you can receive Him, which in turn allows God's power to dwell in you. Thus you can't receive God's power without prayer. (Luke 11:13)
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by obat(m): 3:07pm On Apr 26, 2015
A prayerless Christian is a powerless Christian. No excuse for prayerlessness - see verse 14 below, they were all there prayering.:

Acts 1:12-16King James Version (KJV)
12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by ndcide(m): 3:13pm On Apr 26, 2015
@op, is one of the pastor Chris children Frm Christ embassy. you easily know them.

Men ought always to pray and not to faint. Any Christian who can't spend quality time in prayer, is a disaster waiting to happened. This is what happens, such person begins to think like the world, rationalize things with earthly wisdom, become Somewhat Godless and fall out of faith.

There is a grand plan to create a Godless society, where people will feel they don't need God. It is an ongoing manipulation from the dark world. One trick is to make Christians prayerless. it has found its way to the church hence teachings like that of the @op. Look at the modus operandi of our churches today, you'll see less time is given to serious prayers. Sometimes less than 5 minutes. Look if true believes don't wakeup, people may become restless during prayer session in church..... I could go on and on. but those who are discerning, will know what I'm talking about.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by DollyParton1(f): 3:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs:

I never said prayer is not good, or should be reduced. Are you sure you read the OP or just the topic?
yes I read the OP. And what I decuded is that Power comes through the HolySpirit and not through prayer. That as a Christian, we automatically carry that power in us, because we carry the HolySpirit in us.

Now my question is why are we to pray ceaselessly as a christian if we have that power in us already?

And about that Acts 1:8, what do u think the apostles where doing in that gathering? What do christians do when they gather together?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by rabbuy(m): 3:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
. If I tell you will you open the door of your heart??
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by DollyParton1(f): 3:26pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
You can't separate Jesus from Christianity. Jesus is the foundation of every normal Christian's faith.
But there is a difference between making your Christianity about an act of religion or making it about a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by freecocoa(f): 3:29pm On Apr 26, 2015
rabbuy:
. If I tell you will you open the door of your heart??
Yes, if it makes sense and leaves me with no question.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by oprajo(m): 3:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
This is where most christians miss it. There is a place for prayer and fasting , the word of GOD . BUT YOU RECEIVE POWER WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES ON YOU. PRAYER IS ONLY ONE OF THE WAYS OF ACTIVATING THAT POWER . MOST CHRISTIANS SHOULD GO AND STUDY ABOUT AUTHORITY. WHEN DEALING WITH THE DEVIL SIMPLY USE YOUR AUTHORITY IN THE NAME OF JESUS . a prayerless christian isn't a powerless christian and will never be.
IF SO I HAVE A QUESTION, HOW LONG MUST I PRAY TO HAVE THIS POWER?
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by rabbuy(m): 3:57pm On Apr 26, 2015
freecocoa:
Yes, if it makes sense and leaves me with no question.
religion permit me to say is a way of life and Jesus is the way truth and life. Religion are of different types all over the world and Christianity is just a title for people that believe in Christ. it is not Christ, u see people will always be people following a human being whether ye be pastor or pope will lead to destruction looking up to them will only bring dissappointment the bible is what we should look up to and not man.. The mistake is we trust men instead of the word of God.. I know its been rubbished but ts nt an excuse And yes Jesus is no jailer he gives us free will like right now I am not imposing anything on you like the sayin goes I bring to you like and death choose life that you can live

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"You Must Collect Your PVC" - Pastor Adeboye Charges RCCG Members / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / Should Women Be Allowed To Preach On The Altar Or To Become A Pastor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.