Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,664 members, 7,962,154 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 03:14 AM

Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman (29656 Views)

Patrick Obahiagbon Mocks All The Trekkers Trekking For Buhari's Victory(pics) / My Victory, Not A Surprise – Buhari - PUNCH / Landslide Victory Not Feasible For PDP- Chairman Mu'azu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman by millionaireman: 1:22pm On Apr 27, 2015
izu777:
Without minding that he hailed from the same region with the president-elect, Balarabe Musa, an elder statesman has said Buhari's victory in the March 28 presidential polls does not reflect the wish of the generality of Nigerians. He said an election won on a shortfall of 42 million registered voters isn't a reflection of the true will of the people. Only 28 million of the total 70 million registered voters took active participation in the election.

The national chairman of the de-registered Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), said, Buhari has a mandate but not popular, he therefore wants the president-elect to form a government which will comprise all political parties. The former governor of old Kaduna state said, the only fortunate thing about the just concluded polls is that Nigeria is not divided despite anxieties before the elections.

PS: This article is a summarized version of the original news

Source: http://thesummary.com.ng/index.php/component/k2/item/532-buhari-s-victory-not-a-popular-mandate-northern-statesman

That Nigeria did not divide is because GEJ does not want it.

1, Lopsided and non-democratically created 36 states + Abuja political structure which favour far north continued to determine who emerged president in Nigeria's democratic elections since 1999 - that makes whoever emerged president not be the wish of majority of Nigerians from all corners of the country.

2, Six years of terrorist violence influenced the result of last presidential election a lot.

3, Too many eligible voters could not vote - for example, in Lagos state of over 15 million people, less than 1.9 million votes were cast; it is believed that the INEC machinery in conjunction with a political party leadership worked hard to disenfranchise to many people in Lagos.

If Buhari resists political restructuring, perhaps, Nigeria may not be lucky next time.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman by theV0ice: 1:45pm On Apr 27, 2015
basilo101:

will u also do same 4 sw result considering hw Fayose has wiped APC?

Congrats to you and fayose for winning the least populated, poorest and smallest state in the SW. Long may you enjoy the 'wiping' but I wonder the relevance of your boasting to the crux of this thread?
Re: Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman by theV0ice: 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
ekika:
what was the population of Nigeria then?

Are you expecting me to search it out for you?

Google is your friend my friend. Check it yourself and tell us
Re: Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 27, 2015
What Balarabe Musa meant was that a whole lot of registered voter did not exercise their franchise. Probably most of them ran away out of fear. There was massive migration prior to the elections.
Re: Buhari's Victory, Not A Popular Mandate - Northern Statesman by vacanci: 3:45pm On Apr 27, 2015
rexzqcom:

You can't vote without pvc.
Voters in selected areas did not get their voter cards. Result is beyond my pay grade.
Gej concided victory for buhari for peace to rein.
That does not translate to popular mandate.

GEJ lost the election by a wide margin. margin would have been wider if more people got pvc. recall the scanty votes in north east and north central states.

Conceding defeat was the right thing to do by a sane person who lost election.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP Will Return To Power In 2019 - Jonathan, Atiku Says / Lagos Residents Recount Experiences On President’s Visit / Nyesom Wike: I Can Never Be Intimidated!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.