Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,051 members, 7,960,337 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 05:54 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU (17774 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU / Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by pseudonomer: 8:45am On Jun 23, 2015
sammyscholar:
THIS HAS BEEN TAKEN TOO FAR. i have read through the arguements of each rep and i can say that none of you guys is judged unfairly. in the debate between ABUZARIA and IBPOLY, one of ABU's rep did not take part in the rebutting stage and still have good score (even more than me. according to the judgement of one of the judges). nunushokoto, you dont need to dwell much on your score. what i expected of you is to work on your weaknesses and bring out a better you in the subsequent debate. @pseudonomer, your choice of words is not so encouraging. your essay is one of the essays i am always eager to peruse. even, if at all you have the need to register your displeasure, you should have done so with diplomacy. well, let everything slid; you have qualified for the final stage already. peace.

I never said the scoring is unfair, this has nothing to do with me. Nunu complained.

And I made it clear that I did not believe the judges were biased, I even praise them, especially the Jarus that choose to abuse instead. It is about the ethic of any competition like this, so that someone somewhere will not have a reason to doubt the result of the debate later in the future. Even after an apology in case if I said something wrong. All I got is abusive words(fool, kid) for making a suggestion will prevent future crisis like this.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by Fynestboi: 12:35am On Jun 24, 2015
Final topic loading .......
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by Fynestboi: 12:37am On Jun 24, 2015
Debater Final topic loading ......

Hope you guys are getting set to devour the topic.....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 24, 2015
Despite the wrong way Nunushokoto and pseudonomer went about cavilling at what they felt was bias on the part of Jarus and came across as inanely snippy, i still think they have got quite a point worthy of looking into.
Jarus, no doubt, is a nifty piece of erudition matched with an intellectual finess who had been a judge in one of the debates i participated in. But given the fact that he is an OAU graduate, it is wrong for him to have presided over a cause that OAU was involved in. This is because no matter how fair Jarus might try to be, a reasonable man looking at it would contrarily think he was just selling the pup and was only playing the V.C in the legal case of GARBA V. UNIMAID where the V.C whose property was affected by a school rampage GARBA(a student) was involved in was made a Judge in a diciplinary panel that was to try GARBA. It was held the V.C couldn't have been fair and unbias. And that is as clear as white.
'Nemo judex in causa sua'(a man cannot be a judge in his own cause that is). That maxim is a rule against interest and bias.
If fairness must not only be done but seen to have been done, then Jarus being an OAU graduate judging the cause of OAU would certainly never been seen to have done fairness.
Apart from bias which the other party might snivel about, jarus in trying to prove he isn't biased in the cause of awarding scores might become unfair to OAU who otherwise might have had a better grading if graded by another umpire. Either ways Jarus finds himself in a tight position which sheerly derogates from his sense of good Judgement. You get the picture more if, for instance, you allow me, a DELSU undergraduate, to preside over a DELSU V. OAU match and DELSU was adjudged the winner. You helplessly might be tempted to think i was biased. And if you so fall into the temptation, you would be right and i would be less right even if i swear by heaven i wasn't biased.
Thus, in view of this, Jarus shouldn't be brook to be a Judge in a debate match involving OAU. Ditto for other judges who fall into the ambit. This will make for fairness.

To the funaab reps, move on. You win some. You lose some. That's why it is a game.
If i were a Judge, i still certainly would grade OAU better in this showing. Miracy and especially her team-mate put up a good one there.

Cc:
fynestboi
jarus
Ujsizzle

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by Jarus(m): 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2015
Epaul:
Despite the wrong way Nunushokoto and pseudonomer went about cavilling at what they felt was bias on the part of Jarus and came across as inanely snippy, i still think they have got quite a point worthy of looking into.
Jarus, no doubt, is a nifty piece of erudition matched with an intellectual finess who had been a judge in one of the debates i participated in. But given the fact that he is an OAU graduate, it is wrong for him to have presided over a cause that OAU was involved in. This is because no matter how fair Jarus might try to be, a reasonable man looking at it would contrarily think he was just selling the pup and was only playing the V.C in the legal case of GARBA V. UNIMAID where the V.C whose property was affected by a school rampage GARBA(a student) was involved in was made a Judge in a diciplinary panel that was to try GARBA. It was held the V.C couldn't have been fair and unbias. And that is as clear as white.
'Nemo judex in causa sua'(a man cannot be a judge in his own cause that is). That maxim is a rule against interest and bias.
If fairness must not only be done but seen to have been done, then Jarus being an OAU graduate judging the cause of OAU would certainly never be seen to have done fairness.
Apart from bias which the other party might snivel about, jarus in trying to prove he isn't bias in the cause of awarding scores might become unfair to OAU who otherwise might have had a better grading if graded by another umpire. Either ways Jarus finds himself in a tight position which sheerly derogates from his sense of good Judgement. You get the picture more if, for instance, you allow me, a DELSU undergraduate, to preside over a DELSU V. OAU match and DELSU was adjudged the winner. You helplessly might be tempted to think i was bias. And if you so fall into the temptation, you would be right and i would be less right even if i swear by heaven i wasn't bias.
Thus, in view of this, Jarus shouldn't be brook to be a Judge in a debate match involving OAU. Ditto for other judges who fall into the ambit. This will make for fairness.

To the funaab reps, move on. You win some. You lose some. That's why it is a game.
If i were a Judge, i still certainly would grade OAU better in this showing. Miracy and especially her team-mate put up a good one there.

Cc:
fynestboi
jarus
Ujsizzle

You made a good and reasonable point. I will excuse myself from judging debates involving OAU, going forward.

Interestingly, OAU might actually have been at the receiving end of my being overly careful not to be seen as biased. Wondering whether it is a co-incidence that all the OAU debates I judged (at least 5, since last year edition), they lost (by my scoring alone).

There is also the burden of expectation. I'm a proud grad of OAU, and I know the quality of the school, you therefore need to work very hard to impress me that you're from the same OAU I attended.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by MeesterE(m): 1:31pm On Jun 25, 2015
Epaul:
If fairness must not only be done but seen to have been done, then Jarus being an OAU graduate judging the cause of OAU would certainly never been seen to have done fairness.
Apart from bias which the other party might snivel about, jarus in trying to prove he isn't biased in the cause of awarding scores might become unfair to OAU who otherwise might have had a better grading if graded by another umpire. Either ways Jarus finds himself in a tight position which sheerly derogates from his sense of good Judgement. You get the picture more if, for instance, you allow me, a DELSU undergraduate, to preside over a DELSU V. OAU match and DELSU was adjudged the winner. You helplessly might be tempted to think i was biased. And if you so fall into the temptation, you would be right and i would be less right even if i swear by heaven i wasn't biased.

Cc:
fynestboi
jarus
Ujsizzle
Bros oau dn finish exam?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by sosiQQ(m): 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2015
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 25, 2015
MeesterE:

Bros oau dn finish exam?
I don't know meesterE. i'm not an OAU student.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by govmentson(m): 9:57am On Jun 26, 2015
Jarus:

I don't care. He is a fool for his attributing his team's loss to my being OAU grad.
can't believe Jarus lost his cool..so much regard for you bro
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by papinx(m): 5:38am On Jun 27, 2015
Miracy, I saw you two nights ago and you didn't tell me this was gonna go down... Funny enough, the just debated topic was assigned to the ETF vs Moremi debate...... My boys can tap into this and make a gold mine....

Samtolly4jesus, always repping boss...
Nice one Miracy-Sam.

Kudos to the FUNAAB guys and the judges too.

@Jarus, Ramadan Kareem.

#TeamOAU
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by papinx(m): 5:41am On Jun 27, 2015
Always always.
Epaul:

Cc:
fynestboi
jarus
Ujsizzle
always on point. Yes, always.

Seems this is your first post I would be perusing in months.... How have you been?

#papindinho
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 28, 2015
papinx:
Always always.
always on point. Yes, always.

Seems this is your first post I would be perusing in months.... How have you been?

#papindinho
thanks bro. I'm humbled.
I've been fine and You? It's been a while.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU by clockwise(m): 7:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
GREAT IFE GREAT IFE
AFRICAN MOST BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS
WE ARE EVER VIGILANT PROGRESSIVE
ALUTA AGAINST ALL OPPRESSION
FORWARD EVER, BACKWARD NEVER
GREAT IFE, GREAT, I LOVE U.
THEIR IS ONLY ONE GREAT IFE IN THE UNIVERSE, ANOTHER GREAT IFE IS A COUNTERFEIT, GREAT GREAT GREAAAAAAAATTTT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Seventy Percent Of Teachers In South-west Are Unqualified - TRCN / FUT Minna Expels 700 Students Over Poor Academics Performance / Teachers Registration Council Says Unqualified Teachers To Go In December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.