Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,229 members, 7,960,792 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 10:04 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (91409 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:35am On Apr 22, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

I think it's perfectly his right to know what's going on and the dangers he's prolly in (or getting into).
Only a selfish woman would think only of herself in this situation, inconsiderate of who it'll also affect.
Yes yes, she loves him and doesn't want to lose him. But what kinda love is that.
If she can't tell the closest person to her, what is the possibility of her telling an outsider (criminologist/police)?

A boyfriend tht's  infected with HIV from a girl that knew she could have possibly contacted the virus, has all rights to sue her.
It's like she intentionally gave it to him.  It doesn't have to be cruel to be a crime  undecided

this a tough one. here why i think so. lets assume the woman let off all the self blames and finally tells her partner, the man might not be sympathetic towards her (some men are disgusted at the idea of their gf being raped) and she might she lose him which will even add to the guilt. and lets assume again she didn't tell him( due to some personal reasons) and maybe she gave him std or worst, in some pple might consider it betrayal.

really confusing, it just seem like the woman have to bear all the things
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 22, 2009
~Sissy~:

this a tough one. here why i think so. lets assume the woman let off all the self blames and finally tells her partner, the man might not be sympathetic towards her (some men are disgusted at the idea of their gf being raped) and she might she lose him which will even add to the guilt. and lets assume again she didn't tell him( due to some personal reasons) and maybe she gave him std or worst, in some pple might consider it betrayal.

really confusing, it just seem like the woman have to bear all the things
If she has any tangible reason not to tell him, then I'd suggest she talk to a close family member. If she can't, she can always anonymously talk to a person on the HOTLINE.

But during that process, she should get herself checked for STDs.
No matter how one tries to hide it, a psychological disorder (from rape or childhood trauma or etc) will always show up when least expected. He(her husband) will soon find out from the way she reacts to his touch and sexual moves.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:53am On Apr 22, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

If she has any tangible reason not to tell him, then I'd suggest she talk to a close family member. If she can't, she can always anonymously talk to a person on the HOTLINE.

But during that process, she should get herself checked for STDs.
No matter how one tries to hide it, a psychological disorder (from rape or childhood trauma or etc) will always show up when least expected. He(her husband) will soon find out from the way she reacts to his touch and sexual moves.

yea, you r right.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Cure: 1:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
Train your child in the way of the LORD.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Cure: 1:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:49am On Apr 23, 2009
Cure:

we already know that smiley anything else tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 23, 2009
my son has a penchant for tearing up books . he takes them from the bookshelf, throws them everywhere, tears some i am beginning to get seriously pissed angry angry

at this rate, by the time he can read, there won't be any books left

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 4:02pm On Apr 23, 2009
Oyb,

is that the pix of somewhere in your house  grin ? a mini library, the shelf is low so why not play grin
i think you should pack up those books. get a box and pack them for now. don't leave books where he can see them (that's what my aunt does). buy hard kids book those ones with hard plastic covers on each page for him. they are hard to tear.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 23, 2009
oyb:

my son has a penchant for tearing up books . he takes them from the bookshelf, throws them everywhere, tears some i am beginning to get seriously pissed angry angry

at this rate, by the time he can read, there won't be any books left
rotflmao. . . .I like your son already.

Dealing with same problem here. DVDs ni o, papers ni o, anything he can get his hands on, he'll start throwing.

I've tried spanking grin grin, I've tried pointing to what he did wrong and scowling him, but still won't work undecided

What you can do is buy another Shelf that's too tall for him to reach. or lock your library.

*Hauwa*:

Oyb,

is that the pix of somewhere in your house grin ? a mini library, the shelf is low so why not play grin
i think you should pack up those books. get a box and pack them for now. don't leave books where he can see them (that's what my aunt does). buy hard kids book those ones with hard plastic covers on each page for him. they are hard to tear.
cheiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, OYB even has a Bible?

Wonders lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 4:44pm On Apr 23, 2009
Silk, where is the bible there? that huge 'KING'?
grin

oyb better not touch that boy, leave him alone, it is best they explore. pack your books! elsewhere
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 23, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Silk, where is the bible there? that huge 'KING'?
grin

oyb better not touch that boy, leave him alone, it is best they explore. pack your books! elsewhere
LOL, that's a bible right? grin

LOL, I think I discovered a new secret: Beating them makes them more rebellious cry cry
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 4:48pm On Apr 23, 2009
LOL, Silk hehehe

It could be abt Martin Lurther King now  grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Cure: 6:35pm On Apr 23, 2009
we already know that anything else

If youwant to know more, it may need you subscribing for e-book tittled "SMART PARENTIG"(Raising Happy and Responsible Childrenin the 21st Century).
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 23, 2009
*Hauwa*:

LOL, Silk hehehe

It could be abt Martin Lurther King now grin
Not likely tongue

I say, one of these days, I'll witness Oyb converted to Christianity
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 10:30am On Apr 24, 2009
@oyb
chei see all the books u have. . .did i remember to tell u u're my new best friend?(i see u got unbanned. . .how wwe go wash am?)

@y'all the king is prolly stephen king. . .the horror dude!

@toyinrayo
see my house, can u see me waving from the window just below the split unit?

its the telling them to leave that mommie and daddy have things to do part!

as per scowling bit. . .children can tell when u're really vexing(its in the eyes) what u're s'posed to do is be serious not fake! (bush gel!)

now on to business

thought abt the rape question b4 and i dont know what i'd do o! i jst hope the person means enuff to me for me to put the whole issue behind me(i know it wont be easy)but the key is being willing!

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
that house is funny grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

@ oyb

try what the ladies here suggested. have a big and taller bookshelf and if possible lock it so he wouldn't be able to scatter it

@ Everyone

Would you ever send your unruly child to a boot camp?

your child misbehaves all the time. no amount your discipline seem to enter him, flogging, spanking, privileges etc are all in vain. everyone complains about him/her (including the teacher). you are tired of dealing with him/her and the only option you see as your only savior is a boot camp, would you do it?

yes, why?

no why?

maybe/not sure why?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 24, 2009
netotse:

@toyinrayo
see my house, can u see me waving from the window just below the split unit?

its the telling them to leave that mommie and daddy have things to do part!

as per scowling bit. . .children can tell when u're really vexing(its in the eyes) what u're s'posed to do is be serious not fake! (bush gel!)

now on to business

thought abt the rape question b4 and i dont know what i'd do o! i jst hope the person means enuff to me for me to put the whole issue behind me(i know it wont be easy)but the key is being willing!

Lol, you're not serious at all grin grin I can see you waving and blowing kisses grin grin So plz, stop am cool cool tongue

But sometimes when I'm scowling, I can't help but to smile/laugh. Kids do the craziest stuff. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Well, I don't blame you if you can't deal with the rape issue. Nobody can deal with it. wink
But at the same time, don't leave the person right after the event, but try to comfort her.

~Sissy~:

@ Everyone

Would you ever send your unruly child to a boot camp?

your child misbehaves all the time. no amount your discipline seem to enter him, flogging, spanking, privileges etc are all in vain. everyone complains about him/her (including the teacher). you are tired of dealing with him/her and the only option you see as your only savior is a boot camp, would you do it?

yes, why?

no why?

maybe/not sure why?
Would I?

Yes I would. I wouldn't even hesitate. Loving my child does not mean I have to allow him/her to misbehave and eventually ruin his life.

Childhood is where it all begins. If affirmative action is not taken, what's to change them when they grow up?

Loving them is discipling them to become the better of tomor.

But ofcourse, I'd check up on him in boot camp and make sure he's okay. If positive results begins to show up, then I'd withdraw him from boot camp. Simple!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
kind of scared about those camps embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

kind of scared about those camps embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
What scares you?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:12am On Apr 25, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

What scares you?

those military like structures they use there and it is usually a hostile environment. and i feel like it doesn't solve anything especially behavior like problems and they are usually short term(like 30days) so i believe that the short term of it is not long enough to make lasting changes in them. and they do not have long-term follow up nor support that is needed for troubled teens and parents. a teen who is hostile will only learn that that the louder you scream, the more action you will get. i rather try other alternatives embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 1:19am On Apr 25, 2009
grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:24am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

those military like structures they use there and it is usually a hostile environment. and i feel like it doesn't solve anything especially behavior like problems and they are usually short term(like 30days) so i believe that the short term of it is not long enough to make lasting changes in them. and they do not have long-term follow up nor support that is needed for troubled teens and parents. a teen who is hostile will only learn that that the louder you scream, the more action you will get. i rather try other alternatives embarassed embarassed embarassed
Trust me, if you add Nigerian spice with the boot camp, it might work.

Ok, so what other alternatives do you have? wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:38am On Apr 25, 2009
I will try the behavior based and family focused counselling this one is more one on one, personal growth is developed which i think is better that the "YES SIR" every time of the boot camps things embarassed embarassed  i like the family-centered programs.

boot camps to me is just too aggressive and don't work and if I'm sending my teen there to deal with issues i don't think more aggressiveness is going to help embarassed

i will only allow them to go to boot camp if only they are entering the military embarassed embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:50am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

I will try the behavior based and family focused counselling this one is more one on one, personal growth is developed which i think is better that the "YES SIR" every time of the boot camps things embarassed embarassed i like the family-centered programs.

boot camps to me is just too aggressive and don't work and if I'm sending my teen there to deal with issues i don't think more aggressiveness is going to help embarassed

i will only allow them to go to boot camp if only they are entering the military embarassed embarassed

Hmmm, good point. Aggression does not solve anything.

But a child who continues to misbehave after so many counsellings and talking to nko?

Abeg, let him learn the hard life in boot camp and come come back to the luxurious life at home. Let him know the advantages he has.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:10am On Apr 25, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Hmmm, good point. Aggression does not solve anything.

But a child who continues to misbehave after so many counsellings and talking to nko?

Abeg, let him learn the hard life in boot camp and come come back to the luxurious life at home. Let him know the advantages he has.

if after the FCP and he/her doesn't seem to change i will get him/her screened for ADHD so i know where i stand. but no matter what i wouldnt still send them to the boot camp. i don't think that confrontational approach to teen problems is inappropriate. i think that BC fail to model the pro-social behavior and development of empathy that struggling teens really need to learn.i think dont they are effective in getting to the root of the teen's problem and fixing it over a longer period of time.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:13am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

if after the FCP and he/her doesn't seem to change i will get him/her screened for ADHD so i know where i stand. but no matter what i wouldnt still send them to the boot camp. i don't think that confrontational approach to teen problems is inappropriate. i think that BC fail to model the pro-social behavior and development of empathy that struggling teens really need to learn.i think dont they are effective in getting to the root of the teen's problem and fixing it over a longer period of time.
ADHD, ah ahn, that's going too far.
Teens just want to be rebellious, they want to be adults. . . .

I think the teaching and molding should start at a young age so we don't have to witness their rebellions.

Would I still send her to boot camp? Yes, better than sending her to Nigeria undecided
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:25am On Apr 25, 2009
maybe if you find a good boarding school in 9ja you will have a change of mind?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:25am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

maybe if you find a good boarding school in 9ja you will have a change of mind?
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh suicide!!!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:28am On Apr 25, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh suicide!!!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked wetin happen, you dont like the idea why?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:29am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked wetin happen, you dont like the idea why?
Naija boarding schools?

I think not. And I don't think I'd take it with my kid thousands of miles from me tongue tongue

Naija boarding school sucks. I've heard stories on NL and from my cousins at home undecided
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:31am On Apr 25, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Naija boarding schools?

I think not. And I don't think I'd take it with my kid thousands of miles from me tongue tongue

Naija boarding school sucks. I've heard stories on NL and from my cousins at home  undecided

haba nah . .  not all of them the ones i went to were super good,  tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:33am On Apr 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

haba nah . . not all of them, the ones i went to were super good tongue
How was the one you went to?

Sanitary?
Food?
Bathroom?
Education?
etc grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (44) (Reply)

The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver: True Love Story / Lady Thanks Her Husband For Marrying Her (Photos) / My Husband's Pride Wants To Ruin Our Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.