Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,944 members, 7,963,003 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:14 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1013) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4730621 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1010) (1011) (1012) (1013) (1014) (1015) (1016) ... (3759) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:33am On Aug 05, 2018
Muyesky:

Even at that Oga spyder, I think it is also always very important to chain a building at listel level. Pillars at all angles while the chain lintel serves as a binding effect. That way, it offers more resistance to cracks.

Bros, it's been long o, did you go to vacation too like our President? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:39am On Aug 05, 2018
spyder880:

No, the stone coated comes in small pieces known as tiles, and are fixed and nailed instead of the longer sheets of aluminium which is rather placed. Because of this fixing, a nail goes into the joint where there is a step, clamping the next tile tightly to the previous. There is also very small gaps, making it difficult for water to penetrate.

But I think the main advantage a step tiles material has over the aluminium sheets (in leakage issues) is the stone coating itself. This coat provides a rough surface and ensures enough friction that slows down the flow of water, reducing excess flows which may jump a roof valley and get under a roof gutter. The aluminium sheet is very smooth, so water can speed on it.
Thanks alot sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunben(m): 7:49am On Aug 05, 2018
spyder880:

The usual suspect is a defect known as differential settlement.
Oga spyder880 from my basic knowledge in physics i think differential settlement is when the foundation of a building settles unequally. My question is how do u avoid it happening in the future while building a house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:55am On Aug 05, 2018
Cracks on walls are generally caused by lateral displacement/differential settlement .
It's also caused by the nature of your blocks as against mortar type used.
Always make sure you do a proper blinding with the right concrete mix and thickness and ensure its firm before setting blocks on it.
Cracks can appear on any section of a wall.

Lintel chaining or linking has nothing to do with mitigating walls from cracking.

I have seen a chained lintel cracked from top to bottom completely.
I have seen a wall with ground/grade beam /raft with crack as well.
I have seen a fence wall built on raft with cracks too.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 7:56am On Aug 05, 2018
spyder880:

The usual suspect is a defect known as differential settlement.
Is there any way one can possibly avoid this differential settlement sir?
cc bixton
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:00am On Aug 05, 2018
Thanks but you actually didn't answer the question.

Re:the type of iron rods commonly referred to as "LOCAL" and "TIGER"; if they are both manufactured locally in Nigeria as you said, are they the same product but different brand names? If not, who manufactures the "LOCAL" and the "TIGER"?

Thanks

Chekitaut:
Tiger is of better quality.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:07am On Aug 05, 2018
There's actually nothing one can do about differential settlement other than building your structure the right way.
Yes, there are short cuts but know where to apply them, where not to and when you have to if it's necessary.

As a general rule for me irrespective of soil type if any site i'm handling is along a road that may get heavy traffic, I use the standard 6" blinding and my own mix ratio.

I do a 4" if it's off entirely.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adewaleID: 8:12am On Aug 05, 2018
Does anyone have an idea of fair labour cost for this septic?

pic credit goes to Skimanski

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:36am On Aug 05, 2018
adewaleID:
Does anyone have an idea of fair labour cost for this septic?

pic credit goes to Skimanski

What's the dimension and location for price determination?

Are you going to sink it later?

Can you post another pix showing the top view revealing the inside?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ogedazzle: 9:04am On Aug 05, 2018
WHY YOU MUST INVEST IN SHAPATI, LAKOWE, LEKK - QUEENS COURT ESTATEI!!

This Corridor has more Investment value added prospects than the expensive and popular Ikoyi, Victoria Island and Lekki Phase 1 all in Lagos Nigeria.

In the 1970s Plot of Land in Ikoyi Sell less than N500K, but today (2018) the Prices range from N150million above.

In the 1980s Plot of Land in Victoria Island Sell less than N5million, but today (2018) the Prices range from N250million above.

In 90s Plot of Land in Lekki Phase 1 Sell a little above N2million, but today (2018) is from N150million above.

Smart Investors took advantage and Invested even though there wasn’t any inteyrnational Projects within those locations then, yet they made over 5,000% net Profit on their Investments after few years.

Now think of Shapati, Lakowe, Lekki Epe Expressway, Lagos, gateway to the hottest Investments Zone in Africa that is hosting multi billion dollars International Projects.
And few minutes drive to Lekki International Airport, that alone will skyrocket your Investment.

QUEENS COURT

An Estate with a natural ambiance is currently affordable and available now.

PROMO PRICE: N5,000,000 per Plot.

TITLE: CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY

SIZE: 500sqm

Allocation is Instant.

NEIGHBOURHOOD
Novare Mall Shoprite (biggest Mall in Lagos), Lakowe Golf Course, Lagos Business School, Green Spring School, Corona School, Caleb British International School, Coscharis Motors, Mayfair Gardens, Beachwood Estate e.t.c.

INFRASTRUCTURES PROVISION
▪Security/Electrified Fence
▪Street Light
▪Interlocked Roads
▪Concrete Drainage
▪Electricity
▪Green Areas
▪Sport Arena
▪Estate Mall, e.t.c.

For more Information, Inspection and Payment kindly contact or whatsapp:

OGE. 07039375005
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 9:08am On Aug 05, 2018
ikush:
The structure is 2Flats of 3bedroom bungalow. The cracks started over 2yrs ago but have gotten wider. The cracks appear on the other side of the wall. Some from bottom but others not. I will chat you up on WhatsApp. Are you around Benin?

would be handling a project at oredo,benin this month.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:51am On Aug 05, 2018
seunben:

Oga spyder880 from my basic knowledge in physics i think differential settlement is when the foundation of a building settles unequally. My question is how do u avoid it happening in the future while building a house.

Barryton:

Is there any way one can possibly avoid this differential settlement sir?
cc bixton

Avoiding differential settlement starts from processes followed before the house construction is started. We should get soil samples tested in labs to establish their safe bearing capacities. Some soils are weak while some are stronger, many times, clients will want to skip this important investigation due to the added cost.

The soil sample will provide information on the expected future behaviour of the soil when the building loads has been imposed on it. This will in turn inform the designers of the building on the types of foundation to plan for. Its not every land that a specific foundation can work on, and two lands in the same area can have different sub soils, prompting different foundation designs.

Another point to note is wrong construction methods for even foundations designed properly, some people who know a lot less, or not trained in the profession can initiate work with the right foundation suited for a land and still mess up the work. Sometimes, it's as a result of trying to cut corners or inadequate supervision time to stay around and monitor each process. Wrong use of mixing ratios, wrong size and placement of reinforcement rods, wrong applications of curing periods and ignoring basic engineering rules like levels and lines can create problems for the foundation.

Most cracks you see on walls run from deep inside the ground, and are caused when a part of the foundation sinks deeper than another side of the same foundation due to the building load, during or after construction. All buildings settle after construction, at least to up to 5mm minimum. But problem starts when some sides are settling in excess of 25-50mm or more.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 10:35am On Aug 05, 2018
spyder880:

Avoiding differential settlement starts from processes followed before the house construction is started. We should get soil samples tested in labs to establish their safe bearing capacities. Some soils are weak while some are stronger, many times, clients will want to skip this important investigation due to the added cost.

The soil sample will provide information on the expected future behaviour of the soil when the building loads has been imposed on it. This will in turn inform the designers of the building on the types of foundation to plan for. Its not every land that a specific foundation can work on, and two lands in the same area can have different sub soils, prompting different foundation designs.

Another point to note is wrong construction methods for even foundations designed properly, some people who know a lot less, or not trained in the profession can initiate work with the right foundation suited for a land and still mess up the work. Sometimes, it's as a result of trying to cut corners or inadequate supervision time to stay around and monitor each process. Wrong use of mixing ratios, wrong size and placement of reinforcement rods, wrong applications of curing periods and ignoring basic engineering rules like levels and lines can create problems for the foundation.

Most cracks you see on walls run from deep inside the ground, and are caused when a part of the foundation sinks deeper than another side of the same foundation due to the building load, during or after construction. All buildings settle after construction, at least to up to 5mm minimum. But problem starts when some sides are settling in excess of 25-50mm or more.
Thanks sir.
From your lecture, seems this differential settlement is highly associated with areas with loose soil?

Will having a ground beam in place of the normal concrete blinding for foundation go a long in reducing this?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:06am On Aug 05, 2018
Barryton:

Thanks sir.
From your lecture, seems this differential settlement is highly associated with areas with loose soil?

Will having a ground beam in place of the normal concrete blinding for foundation go a long in reducing this?

It's not only areas with loose soils, areas with soft clay, reclaimed lands and areas with refilled pits, mines or wells, or lands with water bodies may experience settlement more than naturally settled lands.

Whatever solutions to be employed must be done after scientific studies has been done to ascertain the strength of the soil, that will now lead architects and engineers to recommend a foundation design. A ground beam may not be enough to prevent differential settlement if the soil bearing capacity or other factors make it necessary to use other methods like piling or raft.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyesky(m): 1:20pm On Aug 05, 2018
spyder880:

Bros, it's been long o, did you go to vacation too like our President? cheesy

Oga mi, I was just busy coordinating all these defections up and down. E no easy grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:27pm On Aug 05, 2018
ikush:
Dear all, I'm a silent reader here. Please I have a little challenge with my building and need some expert advice.

The challenge is that my residential building has serious cracks on the wall due to poor job execution from the builder. The cracks even affected the POP. Pictures are attached.
 The walls may fall down very soon if repairs are not carried out

I need advice on how to fixed this. Expert that can undertake to fix this should indicate. The property is in Benin City.

Thank you all

From my experience with Edo and Delta (Bendel), is either subsidence or differential settlement or both. Subsidence is caused when a building’s foundations sink because the soil is unstable. Contributory factors are clay soil, vegetation that draws water from the soil, and leaking drains or underground river. To find solution is to first understand the historical sub-structure of your land:

# was it previously used as a refuse dump site?
#was the land flat or partially hilly or rocky in some part?
# is the land close to the famous Benin Moat or erosion prone?
# is the land clayey?

It is only when you can find the answer to why the land is unstable can a lasting solution be found. I can hazard a guess that if your land was not a former refuse dump, it may be that your foundation filling and back filling was done with clay soil. Clay soil on a foundation is a no no. No cosmetic work like arbitrary introduction of columns as has been suggested will do. From the limited pix you attached, any lasting solution must include foundation excavation in one form or the other. It may even mean foundation underpinning. This is excavating beyond the foundation to a stable soil to introducing beam(s) under the current foundation. Demolishing the entire building is not a good advice. Solution is readily available.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:48pm On Aug 05, 2018
diordaves:

From my experience with Edo and Delta (Bendel), is either subsidence or differential settlement or both. Subsidence is caused when a building’s foundations sink because the soil is unstable. Contributory factors are clay soil, vegetation that draws water from the soil, and leaking drains or underground river. To find solution is to first understand the historical sub-structure of your land:

# is the land clayey?

It is only when you can find the answer to why the land is unstable can a lasting solution be found. I can hazard a guess that if your land was not a former refuse dump, it may be that your foundation filling and back filling was done with clay soil. Clay soil on a foundation is a no no. No cosmetic work like arbitrary introduction of columns as has been suggested will do. From the limited pix you attached, any lasting solution must include foundation excavation in one form or the other. It may even mean foundation underpinning. This is excavating beyond the foundation to a stable soil to introducing beam(s) under the current foundation. Demolishing the entire building is not a good advice. Solution is readily available.

Sir,
Are you referring to clay soil as in "the red mud" we all know.
If it is there's no construction document saying its use will result to foundation defect in buildings.
There are more than 10 pix of buildings on NL where such is used and those who used it are on the forum with us.

Please how does one introduce beam as you suggested in that buildings' foundation as it is now?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2018
spyder880:

It's not only areas with loose soils, areas with soft clay, reclaimed lands and areas with refilled pits, mines or wells, or lands with water bodies may experience settlement more than naturally settled lands.

Whatever solutions to be employed must be done after scientific studies has been done to ascertain the strength of the soil, that will now lead architects and engineers to recommend a foundation design. A ground beam may not be enough to prevent differential settlement if the soil bearing capacity or other factors make it necessary to use other methods like piling or raft.
Thank u sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2018
diordaves:

# is the land clayey?

By clay soil do u mean red laterite sand sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adewaleID: 4:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
@bixton

What's the dimension and location for price determination? --to be determined and location Lagos

Are you going to sink it later?--- yes

Can you post another pix showing the top view revealing the inside? pic below

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 4:50pm On Aug 05, 2018
building in waterlogged areas na real wa...what is all these because of common soakaway...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adewaleID: 4:55pm On Aug 05, 2018
yes ooo this is a must oooo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adewaleID: 5:02pm On Aug 05, 2018
pics credit goes to Muyesky

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:19pm On Aug 05, 2018
Rubbiish:
building in waterlogged areas na real wa...what is all these because of common soakaway...

one of my client did that more than two times.. stuff keep dripping water
no be small money

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyesky(m): 5:23pm On Aug 05, 2018
adewaleID:
pics credit goes to Muyesky

Building a suck away in a water logged area can be stressful, frustrating and capital intensive if you miss the basic steps. I have seen many builders even using more water cement than the actual cement. A chain is as good as its weakest link.

Sealing the base of the septic tank:
1. Drain out existing and flowing water from the tank with a pumping machine
2. Pack out already settled mud
3. Introduce hollow blocks to the base in a bed like form
4. Cut planks to size of the tank to form a bed on the already laid blocks. This is to lift the base of the ground
5. Introduce a man hole that will serve as the means to suck out water after casting the base
6. Introduce granite to all edges around the tank to serve as blockage for any missed hole
7. Introduce polythene to cover the laid bed as a form of preventing any leakages
8. Mix sand, granite, normal cement and water sealant together and cast away.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:26pm On Aug 05, 2018
adewaleID:
@bixton

What's the dimension and location for price determination? --to be determined and location Lagos

Are you going to sink it later?--- yes

Can you post another pix showing the top view revealing the inside? pic below

This size should be about +#450k
The bigger one in the next picture should be in the range of +#650k.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2018
ikush:
Dear all, I'm a silent reader here. Please I have a little challenge with my building and need some expert advice.

The challenge is that my residential building has serious cracks on the wall due to poor job execution from the builder. The cracks even affected the POP. Pictures are attached.
 The walls may fall down very soon if repairs are not carried out

I need advice on how to fixed this. Expert that can undertake to fix this should indicate. The property is in Benin City.

Thank you all

Sorry for the bad luck.

I am sure this is a bungalow cos if it were a storey building, it would have collapsed already.

Repair such failures is not easy at all. It will cost a fortune and experience not to mention the risks working on such a building.

The. Methodology is simple, the engineer will find external supports such as propping lintels. Next is introducing footings and columns one at a time in selected areas. After wards the affected walls are demolished and rebuilt.

I suggest you do this if the problem is localised to a section but if its all round, am afraid, what you are avoiding is ceiling and roofing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:26pm On Aug 05, 2018
bixton:

Sir,
Are you referring to clay soil as in "the red mud" we all know.
If it is there's no construction document saying its use will result to foundation defect in buildings.
There are more than 10 pix of buildings on NL where such is used and those who used it are on the forum with us.

Please how does one introduce beam as you suggested in that buildings' foundation as it is now?

Clay soil is not red mud or laterite. It is the clay used in making traditional clay pots. It expands when wet or contrast when dry. Clay soil is prevalent in riverine areas, river beds or dried out river. If you find your land clayey, excavate till you get to stable soil like red mud/laterite before laying your foundation.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:29pm On Aug 05, 2018
Barryton:

By clay soil do u mean red laterite sand sir?

No. Red laterite is different, stable and can be relied upon to hold a foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2018
diordaves:

Clay soil is not red mud or laterite. It is the clay used in making traditional clay pots. It expands when wet or contrast when dry. Clay soil is prevalent in riverine areas, river beds or dried out river. If you find your land clayey, excavate till you get to stable soil like red mud/laterite before laying your foundation.

Thank you. Very good useful information.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2018
diordaves:

Ok.
I thought you were referring to "filling/back filling of foundation/area around structure with clay soil.

It's your next sentence that made mention of "clay soil on a foundation ", is a no no.

Probably I don't grasp your use of English, you're now referring to erecting a building on clay soil.

And these buildings you posted, do the down not form as a basement?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1010) (1011) (1012) (1013) (1014) (1015) (1016) ... (3759) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Blessedsunny2(m), nighov2024, Hero2t and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.