Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,600 members, 7,961,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 06:23 PM

Back To School - An Introvert's Guide - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Back To School - An Introvert's Guide (578 Views)

Anambra Secondary Students Wear Native Cloths To School On Wednesdays / Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Back To School - An Introvert's Guide by layospice: 4:29pm On Sep 02, 2015
Going back to school can be difficult and nerve wracking for young introverts, especially if it's a new school.

Extroverts are usually praised for their willingness to butt in and control a conversation. They are often identified as leaders because they are always willing when called upon to complete a task. This makes the more confident within the classroom because we live in an extrovert-dominant world where active engagement is seen as being a team player.

On the other hand, the introverts, the quiet ones lost in thought, tend to go unnoticed. They are labelled -shy, despite the fact that many introverts don't actually see themselves as being "shy", the quiet ones are sometimes left to be, quiet. Often times, they are required to be who they are not...someone more like that student who always raises his hand even when he doesn't know the answer to the question.

I have been there myself, and I know that feeling of inadequacy. I was one of the quiet ones. I enjoyed my "alone time". I was thoughtful, studious and talkative in small groups but preferred self study to group projects. I never felt the need to answer every question simply because I knew the answer.

I am learning to find my way in an extroverted world, I honestly cannot say I am there yet. I learned the hard way, that quiet learning doesn't always fly in today's classrooms.

Being quiet isn't bad and being loud isn't good either. You need to find a balance and most importantly, be true to yourself. All students have unique personalities and all students should be encouraged to learn and grow in a way that leaves them feeling confident and happy. The talkers might be easier to engage and teach, but the quiet ones have so much to offer this world.

As you go back to school, consider these points to help you enjoy your time at school.

You need time to process information and consider your thoughts and feelings before sharing them with others. This may make you slow at responding, especially responding to negative comments. Consider this a compliment as it helps you avoid verbal conflicts. Thinking before you speak is a very good virtue. When you take time to think, you are more likely to use empathy and kindness in your words. Being the first to answer does not mean being the one with the best answer.

Learn to speak with confidence. Introverts don't feel the need to answer every question or attempt to talk above the noise. It's not about speaking every time or commanding every room, it's about making eye contact, using a clear and calm voice and standing up straight. You may not engage in every group discussion, but when you do, you tend to share valuable information. Always make a difference.

Introverts tend to be great listeners and good observers, they tend to absorb their surroundings and take the time to hear and consider what others are saying. While the quick talkers might seem like the obvious classroom leaders, the quiet ones thrive when given leadership roles. Great listeners make great leaders because they take the time to understand the needs of others. So remember to keep listening!

As an introverted student, you don't have to fade into the background. When you understand your personality and how you can thrive in the classroom setting, you are better able to communicate your needs to your parents and teachers. Take the time to understand your personality so that you can begin to find your way.

Have a great session ahead and always remember to shine!

www.teensnest.
Re: Back To School - An Introvert's Guide by Osirimononaye(m): 4:36pm On Sep 02, 2015
Hhmmm The Op Sef!!!!!!
Re: Back To School - An Introvert's Guide by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2015
Is your phone showing COM.ANDROID.PHONE has stopped? Visit

http://info-guy..com/2015/09/android-comandroidphone-has-stopped.html?m=0

To see how to fix it once and for all.
Re: Back To School - An Introvert's Guide by timay(m): 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

all is well

(1) (Reply)

This Digital Way Of Exams Malpractice Will Shock You! (photo) / University Of Calabar (UNICAL) Pre-degree/ Diploma Form Is On. (081-3124-1212) / Reasons Why Oau Students Are Weeping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.