Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,243 members, 7,936,811 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:34 AM

Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers (671 Views)

A Nigerian Threatens Mavrodi (pix) / South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc / N1.04tn Fine: MTN Apologises, Seeks Leniency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by justiz5(m): 1:24am On Nov 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
MTN’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’African Lawmakers
[/size]
South African lawmakers on Wednesday expressed concerns that MTN Group’s alleged violation of Nigerian laws could hurt trade relations between the continent’s two biggest economies.

Africa’s biggest mobile telephone company was last week fined N1.04tn ($5.2bn) by the Nigerian Communications Commission for failure to cut off users with unregistered SIM cards from its network. Nigeria is MTN’s biggest market.

“It is important for South Africa to increase trade relations with other African countries, but if something like this happens, we get worried about our reputation and the impact that would have on South African companies wishing to expand on the continent,” the head of the parliamentary telecoms portfolio, Mmamoloko Kubayi, told Reuters.

South African firms such as Shoprite and Standard Bank are among the biggest investors in Nigeria. The country accounted for nearly 80 per cent of South Africa’s total trade on the continent in 2012. South Africa’s oil imports account for the bulk of trade.

Talks between MTN and the Nigerian authorities continued on Wednesday, the company said in a statement, and again dismissed speculation that it had reached an agreement on the fine.

Nigeria has been pushing all telecoms operators to verify the identity of their subscribers, on concerns that unregistered SIM cards were being used for criminal activities in a country facing an insurgency by Islamic militant group, Boko Haram.
[/b]

punchng.com/2015/11/4005
Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:27am On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:32am On Nov 05, 2015
A very big thumbup to NCC. This I guess is another opportunity for us to show S/Africa, that we can as well get back at them. after series of attacks on Nigerians living in S/Africa.
Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by Nobody: 1:33am On Nov 05, 2015
The vibe of Nigeria's ZERO tolerance to Regulatory impunity is echoing across the continent. Positive DEVELOPMENT! .

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by Nobody: 1:37am On Nov 05, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
A very big thumbup to NCC. This I guess is another opportunity for us to show S/Africa, that we can as well get back at them. after series of attacks on Nigerians living in S/Africa.

I trust the idea is never to get back at SA as it looks. Setting the right tone for obedience to legitimate rule and order is most preferably the motive.
My thought.

4 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by Beesluv: 2:07am On Nov 05, 2015
eMpTy heN
Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by amiskurie(m): 6:18am On Nov 05, 2015
I knew this buh I donkie

They can't threaten us,if we boycott south Africa they will fill the negative impact immediately.we are the giant and the heart beat of Africa.

South Africa can't threaten us,if their companies leaves,Nigeria has enuf billionaires home and abroad to fill their places like nothing happened.

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Fine Threatens Ties With Nigeria – S’african Lawmakers by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:40am On Nov 05, 2015
amiskurie:
I knew this buh I donkie

They can't threaten us,if we boycott south Africa they will fill the negative impact immediately.we are the giant and the heart beat of Africa.

South Africa can't threaten us,if their companies leaves,Nigeria has enuf billionaires home and abroad to fill their places like nothing happened.
Yes soo. Atleast these foreigners will begin to take us serious.

(1) (Reply)

Best 2016 Online Business / Is Building A House For Rentage Profitable In Nigeria? / Foreign Exchange Group For Live Trade Ideas And Feeds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.