Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,101 members, 7,960,531 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 12:45 AM

Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team (6226 Views)

Just In: ISIS: Iraq PM Sack 36 Army Officers In Anti-corruption Drive / Mali Rebels Counterattack And Sack Govt Town!! / South Africans Vow To Sack Christ Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 03, 2009
VIPICO:

Why are we arguing about an unnecessary nomanclaturic acronym. All we want is gas; even if they call Ni-arse
rotflmao. you no well grin grin grin

@Post
It would have been less problematic if they had named me "Naijaz"
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by dblock(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2009
From a Nigerian perspective it is an excellent name, such a word as niggas does not exist in the Nigerian dictionary, from a White man's perspective or a "Hip Hop" Head then yeahh it's funny or offensive.

Wetin Consign Nigerians pelu derogatory slur ti awon oyibo o administer ni ilu wa.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by manny4life(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2009
This was really disrespectful to the black community, anyway, it was funny though.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by fayahsoul: 6:46pm On Jul 03, 2009
You guys don't even overstand the etymology of the words

"nigga/niga/nega/negu/nugu/niger/naga/naki/nagi" all the same thing and they all mean

G-Dhood.

oyinbo corrupt the word to disinherit you all
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by pafegs(m): 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2009
this is funny. but i think its pronounced differently
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 03, 2009
pafegs:

this is funny. but i think its pronounced differently
It is.
Pronounced as Nai-Jaz. But as always, that's what happens to Nigeria when it wants to copy cat.

A comment from the article site
[Exactly the same happened when all the oxygen companies were renamed - British Oxygen became 'Britox', Canadian Oxygen became 'Canox' and so on,  Only BOLIVIAN Oxygen kept its original title, ]
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2009
I dont care . . . so long as i can have contracts there and make money . . . they could call it Slavegaz if they want.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by DrKitaun(m): 7:27pm On Jul 03, 2009
GAZPROM has the largest refinery in the World . . .

why didnt the Nigerian Govt allow our biggest energy giants enter into this pact with them ?

whats the biggie with the name ?  undecided  its a part of REBRANDING u know ?  grin  grin
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by presido1: 8:28pm On Jul 03, 2009
Its not only sacking the marketing team but the people that gave approval to the name.
It seems getting things right in Nigeria is an omen.

Well even if the Russians call it RussianGaz nobody will care as far as they greased their palms.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by collins011(m): 8:43pm On Jul 03, 2009
NIGAZ originated from NIGRO which means black person and Nigeria happen to be the most populous BLACK Nation in the world. For whatever reason why they chose that name, i think there are obvious traceable link between.

What you guyz should know is that: We can't give what we dont have, WE ARE WHO WE ARE: Nigeria, captives of negativity
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by DrKitaun(m): 8:45pm On Jul 03, 2009
na wa o . . .

whats in a name ? shocked shocked

why didnt NNP go to AMSTERDAM to and collaborate with one of the major energy giants there ? grin
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by oyinda3(f): 9:50pm On Jul 03, 2009
nyegaz. yeah the name is lipsrsealed
but then again is the pronunciation really that matters. I mean we have Niger republic.
even naija if pronounced wrong can be racist sounding
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by Strz(f): 9:58pm On Jul 03, 2009
I don't see how nobody in the company got that.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by Winnergal(f): 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2009
Why not GAZNI (as in Gaz-nye) ? ?
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by slimfine(f): 10:42pm On Jul 03, 2009
how hard is it to change this damn derogating name? angry
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by proudly9ja(m): 11:16pm On Jul 03, 2009
FL Gators:

It is.
Pronounced as Nai-Jaz. But as always, that's what happens to Nigeria when it wants to copy cat.

A comment from the article site
[Exactly the same happened when all the oxygen companies were renamed - British Oxygen became 'Britox', Canadian Oxygen became 'Canox' and so on,  Only BOLIVIAN Oxygen kept its original title, ]

lol, U obviously know why the Bolivians didn't change their own name Im sure?? Who wants to be called 'Bolox', lol,

Anyways, Im surprised some of us are asking what is in a name?? as an African, ofcourse we know the name is the first thing that identifies a being.

I don't think it should be too hard to change the name. There are so many permutations of the two names (Nigeria and Gazprom) to choose from.

As an aside, maybe Abrahamovich will now come and buy Enyimba

(glad to be back. I wonder why I was banned in the first place )
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by tundewoods(m): 12:28am On Jul 04, 2009
Here we go again ! Jobless folks making an issue out of irrelevance. If you like call it (NWA) NIGAZ with ATTITUDE to bring back the good ol days of Easy E, Ice Cube, MC Ren and Yella in the late 80's.

What matters is that Gas is available and affordable, by the way i think my gas cylinder just run dry ! Gosh NIGAZ !!!!
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by daragrams(m): 12:42am On Jul 04, 2009
i hope they will not still the money
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 04, 2009
proudly9ja:

lol, U obviously know why the Bolivians didn't change their own name Im sure?? Who wants to be called 'Bolox', lol,

Anyways, Im surprised some of us are asking what is in a name?? as an African, ofcourse we know the name is the first thing that identifies a being.

I don't think it should be too hard to change the name. There are so many permutations of the two names (Nigeria and Gazprom) to choose from.

As an aside, maybe Abrahamovich will now come and buy Enyimba

(glad to be back. I wonder why I was banned in the first place )
LOL I'm right there with you. I kinda find NIGAZ offensive. It's bad enough that Nigeria has to be pronunced as NIGGAria, now Nigaz?
We all know the history of the word Nigga. But hey, Nigeria, do your thing undecided

(What was your previous I.D?)

tundewoods:

Here we go again ! Jobless folks making an issue out of irrelevance. If you like call it (NWA) NIGAZ with ATTITUDE to bring back the good ol days of Easy E, Ice Cube, MC Ren and Yella in the late 80's.

What matters is that Gas is available and affordable, by the way i think my gas cylinder just run dry ! Gosh NIGAZ !!!!

rotflmao grin grin
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by ModestSam(m): 1:09am On Jul 04, 2009
That just goes to show how much thought goes into decision making in Nigeria (Nigger Area).
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by fayahsoul: 1:59am On Jul 04, 2009
Hahaha. . .u guyz don't get it. there's a metaphysical aspect to it.

That name will make that project a big success.

Watch
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by HorusRa(m): 2:43am On Jul 04, 2009
There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.

“Nigger” is an expressive word that reeks of racial hatred and bigotry. It connotes all the abuse, degradation and humiliation of our sisters, brothers, fathers and mothers that were sold and gave their lives so the “white Man” can live in splendor and abundance. It opens up the still fresh wounds of those that were taken from their families or anyone they know, traumatized and subjected to an untold cruelty. At present we are yet to confront this issue in a pragmatic meaningful way. If we don’t know the past, we cannot ordain the future nor understand the present.

“Nigger’ is a word directed against our race that supposedly has certain negative characteristics. It portrays black men as lazy, ignorant, and obsessively self-indulgent; traits historically represented by the word nigger. It depicts black men as angry, physically strong, animalistic, and prone to wanton violence.

In the not-too-distant past, [and even today] every major societal institution offered legitimacy to the racial hierarchy. Ministers preached that God had condemned blacks to be servants. Scientists measured black heads, brains, faces, and Instruments, seeking to prove that whites were genetically superior to blacks. White teachers, teaching only white students, taught that blacks were less evolved cognitively, psychologically, and socially. The entertainment media, from vaudeville to television, portrayed blacks as docile servants, happy-go-lucky idiots, and dangerous thugs. The criminal justice system sanctioned a double standard of justice, including its tacit approval of mob violence against blacks.

“A nigger’s clothing was either ragged and dirty or outlandishly gaudy. He is slow, have exaggerated gait suggesting laziness. He is a pauper, lacks ambition and the skills necessary for upward social mobility. He is a buffoon. When frightened, his eyes will bulge out and darted. His speech will become slurred, halted, and replete with malapropisms. His shrill, high-pitched voice made whites laugh. It dehumanized blacks, and served as a justification for social, economic, and political discrimination”. That was what a “nigger’” was, is and will continue to be in the minds of those that hate us.

The negative portrayals of blacks were both reflected in and shaped by everyday material objects: toys, postcards, ashtrays, detergent boxes, fishing lures, children's books. These items, and countless others, portrayed blacks with bulging, darting eyes, fire-red and over sized lips, jet black skin, and either naked or poorly clothed.

Thus it must be in the state of un-paralleled stupidity that those presently articulating the future, vision, hope and destiny of Nigeria decided to name the new firm set to build refineries, pipelines and gas power stations, formulated by an agreement that came about during the 4 day African tour by Russian President, Dmitry Medvedev, “ Nigaz”. It not only shows lack of good taste but also the dearth of creativity in that country. It is just unbelievable! It is simply offensive and strongly calls in to question the mentality of our leaders.

It is both appropriate and imperatively obligatory that this be reviewed at once. We have so much baggage to throw over-board, adding more in the form of this moniker to our already floundering sinking ship is sheer insanity. Even in an individual, there is a link between a child’s name and their achievement. This phenomenon is known as sound symbolism, where the sound of a word conveys meanings. Specifically, brand names are composed of individual sounds called phonemes. A research conducted recently demonstrated that consumers use information they gather from phonemes in brand names to infer product attributes and to evaluate brands. It also demonstrates that the manner in which phonetic effects of brand names manifest is automatic in as much as it is uncontrollable, outside awareness and effortless. Stated simply, sound symbolism affects attribute perceptions.

Let’s for once conduct ourselves with some dignity and stop giving to those that in their prejudice seeks to prove our supposedly “hereditary inferiority” the tools to hurts us more than they already have. We have been maligned and distorted enough in every conceivable way. Every news, article, views and opinions that you see, hears and read in the Western and Asian media serves to portray us in negative light and perpetuate the stereotype. Since we have not device nor find it necessary to present or create a more helpful version of our Fate, leaving it to others to do for us, we must desist from making a caricature of ourselves.

Beyond the “bitches, niggers, and ho’s”, [words that not only degrades our women but reflects the negativity and ignorance that other races have come to associate us with] there lurks in its shadow the frightening monster of what one may call “the split of our collective psyche”. It is something that occurred centuries ago, with the invasion, pillage, rape of both our consciousness and land. It is a separation from the instinctual knowledge of ourselves which plunges us into conflict with our understanding of both the world around and within us. And it has never healed! We are still walking around with a wounded psyche. Not until we have come in terms with our identity by reflecting on the past, taking and applying the lessons thereof into our present while embracing with all eagerness the future can we exorcise the demons of self-unworthiness. Countless have been and are the bearers of this timeless message of redemption and hope yet; we are still locked in a certain paralysis, unable to extricate ourselves from the chains of the past.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by bawomolo(m): 3:24am On Jul 04, 2009
lol what's the big deal
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by proudly9ja(m): 3:58am On Jul 04, 2009
FL Gators:

LOL I'm right there with you. I kinda find NIGAZ offensive. It's bad enough that Nigeria has to be pronunced as NIGGAria, now Nigaz?
We all know the history of the word Nigga. But hey, Nigeria, do your thing undecided

(What was your previous I.D?)
rotflmao grin grin

Nigaz IS offensive. Even in the biz circles. Imagine going to a conference and the announcer introduces you by saying, "the next speech will be given by xxxx, a representative of Nigaz, Nigeria", lol. But I trust my Naija boys jare. I can already see male staffers of the going around in tshirst that read 'Nigaz till the end'! cheesy

(Ive always been proudly9ja. I patiently waited till the ban was lifted, don't really give a crap bout posting on NL. Im ok reading stuff from other people. On anoda note though, I must have put up really boring posts for you not to have noticed them, lol)
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by NegroNtns(m): 4:03am On Jul 04, 2009
$2.5 Billion venture  There is more error than just the branding of the deal.  Why is it negotiated in dollar and not in naira. , moreso that Russia has repeatedly agitated for supression of the dollar as international trade currency?

As far as the name NIGAZ. . .the imminent implication and the political fallout is not lost on the Russians.  By any standard, $2.5 Billion is a lot of money.  Far beyond that is the numerous royalties and access rights that the Russians will benefit in, for God knows how long into the future of oil exploration in Nigeria, and those benefits will double and triple and quadruple the initial 2.5 billion in signing deal.  A right thinking nation will not go into such a lucrative contract without some cross-functional stratagem at the political, economic and cultural levels.  At its basic, a good negotiator will go in with a very tight offer seeking to exploit the opponent's vulnerabilities, whatever they may be.  The opponent must tender counter-offers to chip away at the offer on the table.  Failing to do so will be very costly in the end.  Example. . .if Nigerian officials approach their Russian counterparts demanding to change and rebrand the monicker, I can predict the Russians will be agreeable to that but for a huge fee.  So each time we go to them to change a clause of the contract after the fact. . .there is fee to pay.  Our country is still very simplistic and unsophisticated in its approach to international relations.  We remain gullible and eager to yield.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by HorusRa(m): 4:42am On Jul 04, 2009
Actually it is $10 billion! Also think about the strategical importance and implication of this deal.

History

The idea of the trans-Saharan pipeline was first proposed in the 1970s. On 14 January 2002, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and Algerian national oil and gas company Sonatrach signed the Memorandum of Understanding for preparations of the project. In June 2005, NNPC and Sonatrach signed a contract with Penspen Limited for a feasibility study of the project. On the meeting on 20 February 2009, companies agreed to proceed with the draft Memorandum of Understanding between three governments and the joint venture agreement. The intergovernmental agreement on the pipeline was signed by energy ministers of Nigeria, Niger and Algeria on 3 July 2009 in Abuja.

Route

The pipeline will start in the Warri region in Nigeria and run through Niger to Hassi R'Mel in Algeria. In Hassi R'Mel the pipeline would be connected with the Algerian export system to supply Europe from the existing gas transmission hubs at El Kala and Beni Saf on Algeria's Mediterranean coast via Trans-Mediterranean, Maghreb–Europe, Medgaz and Galsi pipelines. The length of the pipeline would be 4,128 kilometres (2,565 mi).[1] The Nigerian section would be 1,037 kilometres (644 mi) long, 841 kilometres (523 mi) of pipeline will be laid down in Niger and 2,310 kilometres (1,440 mi) in Algeria.[3]

Technical features

The annual capacity of the pipeline would be up to 30 billion cubic meters of natural gas. It would have a diameter of 48 to 56 inches (1,220 to 1,420 mm). The pipeline is expected to be operational in 2015–2017.The investment for the pipeline will be around US$10 billion and for gas gathering centers around $3 billion.

Operator

The pipeline is to be built and operated by the partnership between the NNPC and Sonatrach. The company would include also the Republic of Niger.[3] Initially NNPC and Sonatrach would hold a total 90% of shares, while Niger would hold 10%.[11]

Russian gas company Gazprom has negotiated with Nigeria about its possible participation in the project. Also Indian company GAIL, France's Total S.A., Italy's Eni SpA and Royal Dutch Shell have expressed interests for participating in the project.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by bombay: 4:52am On Jul 04, 2009
You people are brain dead what is wrong with it in Nigeria do we have niggers NO so wtf is wrong abi una wan statisfy una yeye master.
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by bombay: 4:53am On Jul 04, 2009
You people are brain dead what is wrong with it in Nigeria do we have niggers NO so wtf is wrong abi una wan statisfy una yeye master.
Nigger dey yankee so wantine consign agbero with overload.
Make una take time o  grin
Una dey look for something wey no dey there
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by fayahsoul: 5:19am On Jul 04, 2009
@horus-Ra,

O'boy calm the Bleep down. So your sayng these white/pink people conjured up a name for blacks in the 17 century that would cause a predictable chain of reactions in the psyche of blacks forever. I think the matrix has got u good.

Even though the project is likely to work if they empower it with that name, I hope it fails anyway. We have had enough of the oil doom.

That word nigga serves as a continual reminder of past and present injustices afflicted on afurakans by europeans without redress and it should be keep alive.

The word was originally synonymous with black nobility. a negu was a pharaoh, a naga was a buddah, a niger was a moor/mu'ur from river niger area west afuraka(peter, jesus disciple, was from niger). Even sambo means marshal prowess. A lot of AA's were stolen from niger area that's why the carckers called them niger; with wrong pronunciation of course.

It just like how kids tease other kids about their name. Just because a name is ridiculed does not mean the name is a ridicule.

One day these nigas will rule agian. As it was in the begining. . .so it shall be in the end
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by HorusRa(m): 6:01am On Jul 04, 2009
Whatever you do in life; sleeping, eating, having a great time, do not forget these images below. They are your blood relatives. Until you understand that our race will not get it acts together nor the balck its rightful place in this planet; until we become one no matter where or what nation they created and lumps lump us together with, we cannot rise above these pains. We will either succeed together as one or fail as fools. The problem is with your thinking. They have succeeded amazingly well because they did manage and contnue to erect barriers between us. Encouraging hate and mistrust among brothers. Encouraging wars and conflicts. They understand that the day our race comes together as one both those in diaspora in all shades and locations  and those that inhabits the Mother continient, their hate will cease to have any effect. Until we give a sense of belonging to our brothers seized, sold and killed, things we continue to go awry.  Until they can come home and the souls of our ancestors appeased with our quest for unity, there will not be peace in our heart.

[img]http://niahd.wm.edu/attachments/33296.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.peacebuttons.info/E-News/images/AfricanSlaveTradePoster.jpg[/img]

Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by NegroNtns(m): 6:05am On Jul 04, 2009
Initially NNPC and Sonatrach would hold a total 90% of shares, while Niger would hold 10%.[11]

Can you clarify, what is NNPC's equity in the 90% holding with Sonatrach?
Re: Nigaz! Someone Has To Sack Their Marketing Team by HorusRa(m): 7:01am On Jul 04, 2009
I am not really sure since it is all hush-hush. Typical Nigerian way! In fact the total sum involve is still cloak in mystery. But you might gleam some useful info. from below:

Initially NNPC and Sonatrach would hold a total 90% of shares, while Niger would hold 10%.

Under the joint venture deal, which followed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to establish an all encompassing Joint Venture company called “NIGAZ Energy Company Limited'', the two countries would operate on 50-50 ratio.

Facts showed that Nigeria's major oil majors, including Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC), ExxonMobil, Chevron Nigeria Limited (CNL), Total Group, and Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC), have all had to resort to alternative funding arrangements involving billions of dollars in bridge financing to NNPC to plug funding gaps in their respective joint venture operations.

Gas, Not Money

To cater for its financial inadequacies, the NNPC, it was learnt, had worked out a plan that would give a certain amount of crude oil and gas to its partners in place of money.

This development is said to be behind the NNPC's insistence that in subsequent joint venture agreements, its foreign partners have to undertake the development of the basic operational infrastructure in the industry.

The company will be involved in the development of Nigeria's domestic gas exploration and production activities, processing, transportation, marketing, infrastructure development, pipeline construction, power sector development, training and capacity building, as well as exchange of personnel, among others.

Trans-Saharan Trade

Meanwhile, the NNPC and Algeria’s state-owned oil company, Sonatrach, is to control about 90 percent stake in the $10 billion Trans Sahara Gas Pipeline project.

This is even as Nigeria, Niger and Algeria are yet to reach an agreement on which foreign companies will build the pipeline expected to convey gas from Nigeria’s Niger Delta through Algeria and Niger to Europe.

In Case,

On the impact of the problem in the Niger Delta and possibilities of disruptions in gas supply from the country,  Algeria would supply gas if supplies from Nigeria were halted for any reason. Nigeria had given similar guarantees for gas supply to the project by setting aside a certain percentage of its gas reserves.

About a third of Nigeria's oil output is currently shut in as a result of militant attacks on oil facilities in the Niger Delta.

Algeria could pump the Nigerian gas onto Europe through expansion of existing pipelines or build new ones, adding that the pipeline would start operating in 2015-2016.

The project had been stuck on the drawing board for years. Issues that took time to resolve were how to develop gas fields in Nigeria for both domestic and international supply and what would happen if the pipeline were cut off.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iran Offers Military Escort To Next Gaza Aid Convoy. / Usa Congresswoman Shot; Federal Judge Killed; 5 More Dead / Nelson Mandela Dead 2013” : Nobel Peace Prize 1993 Killed By Internet Death Hoax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.