Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,865 members, 7,959,723 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 05:08 AM

Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview (861 Views)

Never Seen Before Photo Of Fela Anikulapo Kuti / Fela Anikulapo Kuti Preparing For A Show In 1977 (photo) / Fela Anikulapo Smoking Torch-Size Weed (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by Recognise: 8:52pm On Jul 14, 2009
Interview by Kieran Meeke

Olufela Olufemi Anikulapo Kuti
is better known as award-winning musician Femi Kuti, 47
– the standard bearer for the Nigerian Afrobeat sound.

The son of the legendary Fela Kuti,
he is playing at the Glade Festival in Winchester this weekend.
www.gladefestival.com

Why do you sing?

It is in my blood. My father, Fela, was the great founder of Afrobeat, (a mixture of African rhythms and jazz).

He lived and breathed music from an early age.

His parents wanted him to be a doctor but he enrolled himself into music school in London and played on until his last breath.

He felt that music was the weapon, a way to get information across to people, which he became an expert at.

Like my father, I feel I can express my views via my music but not as radically as him.

If one person gets my message then I feel I have done my job.

[center]‘I want people to be more proactive…
everyone must be prepared to fight and
not expect a leader to do it all for them’
[/center]

What do you want to be remembered for?

It is not what you are remembered for but what you do in your lifetime that makes a difference.

I want people to be aware of the poor conditions for African people, especially children.

I want Africans to stop feeling sorry for themselves and expect handouts and to start helping themselves.

I want people to be more proactive and not assume that corruption is right.

That everyone must be prepared to fight and not expect a leader to do it all for them.

Which is the song you feel is closest so far to what you are trying to say?

I hope to convey a different message in all my songs.

One might be aimed at corruption, another at health issues, another at politics, another at human abuse.

People need to be reminded. On the other hand I just want people to dance and live life for the moment.

You know that feeling when all the burdens of life are sitting on your shoulders?

It’s that time that I want to grab you, re-energise you but at the same time remind you of what’s really important.

It can be subtle, it can be deep, but it needs to be done.

Is Africa on the right path? Are you optimistic about the future?

Are you serious? All governments are corrupt.

You have a British government that’s making a mockery of you and has helped drive you to the verge of bankruptcy.

It is hard to change the culture of a country that has been riddled with corruption for decades.

Yes, most of us remain living with much of what you see on your news.

The British colonised us, exploited us and then left us in the hands of the corrupt, those who lie and deal in deceit.

We, like many African countries, have huge wealth in natural resources but see little improvement in our daily lives.

People are hungry with poor housing, filthy water and high fuel prices, and  we can’t afford education.

All this while, people at the top fill their own bank accounts.

But yes, there is hope. Technology is beginning to empower people through communication.

Governments are having to become more transparent. People can no longer continue to get away with what has been done before.

If you were prime minister of Britain, what would you do for Africa?

Stop dealing with Africa’s corrupt governments and actually do something that makes a difference.

Oh, and stop the Nigeria government trying to shut down my club, The New Afrika Shrine.

And Zimbabwe?

Help the people topple the government.

Nobody is helping Zimbabwe as it has nothing the Western world wants.

Can we ever move past our history?

We can move on but we must never forget as it is always with us.

Colonialism can’t disappear overnight. It is a slow progressive change that will some day happen.

What is the most fun thing you’ve spent your money on?

Buying spray paint to deface a car that was sent to me as a bribe some years ago.

I wrote ‘bribe’ on it and then drove it around Lagos.

I wouldn’t recommend this to others, though.

for SOURCE: Go to page 10 after Clicking here
Re: Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by darkgoddes(f): 10:46pm On Jul 14, 2009
Read this interview.

It appeared in METRO
Re: Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by Recognise: 10:57pm On Jul 14, 2009
Darkgoddes:

Read this interview.

It appeared in METRO

@^

- Darkgoddes

So? Do you want a medal for that - Joke

"for SOURCE: Go to page 10 after Clicking here" had already acknowledged Metro as the source
Re: Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by nuffrespek: 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
There's a new interview with a VIDEO on SPIN Earth's Africa page http://www.spinearth.tv/region/africa

here are the direct links

http://www.spinearth.tv/articles/2013

http://www.spinearth.tv/articles/2038
Re: Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by Recognise: 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2009
NuffRespek:

There's a new interview with a VIDEO on SPIN Earth's Africa page http://www.spinearth.tv/region/africa

here are the direct links

http://www.spinearth.tv/articles/2013

http://www.spinearth.tv/articles/2038

@NuffRespek

- NuffRespek

True to name form

Nice! . . . Sorry for the pun but what else could I possibly say than enuff respect  wink
Re: Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by darkgoddes(f): 12:46am On Jul 17, 2009
Recognise:

@^

- Darkgoddes

So? Do you want a medal for that - Joke

"for SOURCE: Go to page 10 after Clicking here" had already acknowledged Metro as the source

Need a medal?
Nah,
When i saw the thread, i didnt bother reading thru it cos i already saw it in METRO.
Hence the reason for my post.
I aint trying to say he didnt state the source.
Re: Femi Anikulapo-Kuti's 60 Seconds Interview by Shaz(f): 1:19am On Jul 17, 2009
Metro?! Big-ups!!

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Guys Think About This / Sani Emmanuel's Found Attending A Special Thanksgiving Service At A Church / Who Is: ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.