Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,997 members, 7,960,185 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 02:20 PM

Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? (687 Views)

Be A Land Owner In Abuja *updated* / Ogudu Gra Phase 2: A Land On 505sqm N15m / Would You Spend 500k On A Land In Ibeju-lekki Or Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? by larez(m): 11:24am On Jul 15, 2009
Could this be the result of unqualified English Teachers in Nigerian schools? It is grammatically incorrect. Land is never singular, just as "Property" and "Mail". These can only be qualified with "some". You can say "Land for sale", "Some Land for sale. Property for Sale, Some Property for sale. Send me mail, or send me some email. But never "A land for sale" unless you say "A piece of Land for Sale".

To wrap this up, you never say "A Land for Sale", "A property for sale", "Send me a Mail". These words are considered only in quantitative forms, with a precept of plural.

Your wanna be English Professor. cheesy angry wink
Re: Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? by lapson: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2009
You know how that no matter what you put online there's always someone out there who's dying to say mean things about it? This song explores this wonderful internet phenomenon in country music for,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWpdcR63ms

Oloyinbo ko kusile
Re: Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? by lapson: 3:46pm On Jul 15, 2009
I would say:

Thank you professor. As a token of the appreciation to you, for sharing your expertise in English Language with me, i d like to offer you the opportunity to network with others who share you panache in grammar: www.spogg.org

adupeee eseeee
Re: Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? by larez(m): 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2009
lapson:

I would say:

Thank you professor. As a token of the appreciation to you, for sharing your expertise in English Language with me, i d like to offer you the opportunity to network with others who share you panache in grammar: www.spogg.org

adupeee eseeee

Lapson, Thanks a lot for making me laugh. You have really just made my day. i am still laughing while I checkout the link. Cheers, and have a great day.
Re: Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? by omega8(m): 12:27pm On Jul 16, 2009
Thank you professor larez . As a token of the appreciation to you, for sharing your expertise in English Language with us, i d like to offer you the opportunity in GNS dept at oxford university, and network with others who share you panache in gramma,thanx you baba oyinbo oni gramma
Re: Why Is It Only On Nairaland That People Say "a Land"? by larez(m): 1:16pm On Jul 16, 2009
omega.:

Thank you professor larez . As a token of the appreciation to you, for sharing your expertise in English Language with us, i d like to offer you the opportunity in GNS dept at oxford university, and network with others who share you panache in gramma,thanx you baba oyinbo oni gramma

You are very welcome my Brethren and thanks for the offer. Respectfully and unfortunately, I would however have to decline your kind offer. My philosophy towards life precludes the need for self authentication as in regards to higher institutional credit. An Efficianado hardly needs qualifications to confirm his purism. Thus is the life of a Connoisseur. Thank you once again for your kindest offer.

(1) (Reply)

Good Apartments For You / 3 Bedroom Flat Fro Sale At Odunla, Ikorodu! / 3 Bedrooms ,4 Bedrooms Flats For Rent At Okota: New Buildings(edifice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.