Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,944 members, 7,963,003 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:14 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1336439 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (1233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by mrtidy(m): 1:20pm On Oct 27, 2009
I have this rather strange problem with my external hard disk drive. it works on my laptop and any other desktop and laptop as well but it just wont work on my desktop. at first I suspected the USB port but I tried the port with another external hard drive and with a flash drive, it worked perfectly fine. my desktop is a pentium 4 mercury board computer and just in case you're wondering I have also tried this particular external hard drive on a mercury board pentium 4, it worked but it just work on mine!!!
Im thinking of reformatting the computer but I just wonna be sure if that's the best shot besides I wonna copy the drivers in the system out before formatting as I don't have any other drivers to install after formatting. please anyone with a better idea should help.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zenus(m): 3:58pm On Oct 27, 2009
mrtidy:

I have this rather strange problem with my external hard disk drive. it works on my laptop and any other desktop and laptop as well but it just wont work on my desktop. at first I suspected the USB port but I tried the port with another external hard drive and with a flash drive, it worked perfectly fine. my desktop is a pentium 4 mercury board computer and just in case you're wondering I have also tried this particular external hard drive on a mercury board pentium 4, it worked but it just work on mine!!!
Im thinking of reformatting the computer but I just wonna be sure if that's the best shot besides I wonna copy the drivers in the system out before formatting as I don't have any other drivers to install after formatting. please anyone with a better idea should help.

Window 7, Vista or XP

open disk management and check if windows detects your external hard disk drive.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zenus(m): 4:06pm On Oct 27, 2009
if u are using XP then follow these steps

1.Try to use a different USB PORT on the pc, from here u may know the 1 that is not working.

2. The USB at the back of ur system may be USB1.1 and External HD make use of 2.0 . Then use the USB port in the front which is normally 2.0.

3.You may load the USB DRIVERS on ur PC again, as the old may corrupted.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:49pm On Oct 27, 2009
@Remii Thanks deji2009 but I do not intend to remove the kaspersky software, the issues is that, this software would not remove or disinfect detected threats after scan, instead it recommended "skip" for most of the threats most of which were tagged very dangerous, please advise on what I can do to remove the threats.

Ok, in a professional world I wont advice to sacrifice your time doing this. would be much better you reformat everything back to scratch.

Having said that of course here a free utility commonly use by our customers @ the Tec http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2009
Akinsbobo2

Re: Post Your Computer Troubles Here.
« #479 on: Today at 09:03:51 AM »

I need urgent assistance for my acer aspire 5000 dvd drive.it selects discs.what i notice is that,sometimes,whenever i insert a disc,i hear a slight cracking sound and such disc won't play.it shows 'no disc'.it doesnt do that with some discs.my laptop is on windows xp sp2 and d dvd/cd-r is sosc-2483k.please,help me out.pls,i'm waiting

I do appreciate all infor provided just make things more easier for the tecs. right ! Does it play any other disk ?

When does the problem start ? Do you hear scratchy noise if another disk is inserted ? Does the disk have any dirt or particles on the surface ?

Open My computer and check to make sure your CD drive is listed which is usually D drive

could well be a problem with your Secondary IDE contoller Ok, I take it you know how to get to device manager if not use google. when there look

for IDE/ATAPI CONTROLLER Click on the +Right click on each items and click uninstall click ok please please ! dont tick the box to delete as this

would delete the softwareafter that close devmgr then Restart your system for changes to take effect. you might be ask to restart thrice if so just

allow it. Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:09pm On Oct 27, 2009
Window 7, Vista or XP

open disk management and check if windows detects your external hard disk drive.

Absolutely. @ poster. well done for carryout some diagnostics make things easier for us.

Could well be your PC MOBO doesnt support HI speed Usb device

and apart from that when unsupported device is connected you

should get an error message or conflict in device manager

or prompt to install the software like the previos

tec has said try using disk management to check if detected

or open My computer to view. Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by blackweaver(m): 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2009
type win+r and in the run dialog that comes up type devmgmt.msc the device manager should come up;
is there any under disk drives is there any yellow icon with an exclamation mark or a question mark?
if not going to the run dialog again and type diskmgmt.msc to bring up the disk manager, you can then check if you
can find the disk there and assign it a drive letter;
or to make things easier if you are not a techie, post screenshots of your disk manager and your device manager;
(p.s. make sure they are maximised) and i believe there are enough people in this forum (myself included) who can
help you on from there

@akinsobo2 i get that sometimes with my lappy disk drive too what happens is that either the disk drive is faulty or the cd is faulty or both.
it's a hardware problem (no amount of formatting or installation wil fix it) but if you can't live with it, you can replace the cd drive
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by talk2ahmed(m): 8:55pm On Oct 27, 2009
Pls i will like to kno why my sytem gives windows explorer error. when i open a folder; it gives me an error message "windows explorer is not working". I downloaded registry booster 2010; it gave me a lot of registry alerts, how can i fix my registry probem?
The issue started when i realised that all flash drives used on my system end up with -i,-j,-k virus on it(i use Rising Av then), then i uninstalled it and used nod32 4.0, my sytem was restarting . So i ran a repair and all is well now. A frnd said avg wud do, AVG is working wonderful, but the errors in my registry are still there, Any help pls
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by blackweaver(m): 9:08pm On Oct 27, 2009
how do you know that the error is with the registy and not something else? is there some specific message that you get?
if so pls post it in full am sure someone on the internet (if not in nairaland) has encountered that sort of error before
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:15pm On Oct 27, 2009
@Talk to ahmed. hold down windows logo + R on your keybaord and type inside the box explorer you should see users document, if you see

something else then is a 100% virus. try brining up task manager and if you have explorer.exe if you do then try checking it out could well be a virus

Having said that of cause you need to tell us what the error is you cant just say explorer error there are plenty of errors. or bringup run and type in the

box eventvwr try checking for any errors and also try using C cleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download Good luck! wink
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:15pm On Oct 27, 2009
I got the error. sorry my fault. lol
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:26pm On Oct 27, 2009
go to C:\Windows\System32 subdirectory and sort by date modified. Look at all the most recent files, especially those that carry the date when

things started to go wrong and later. Right click these files individually and study the date created and date accessed, if you can find a file the was

created on the day things went wrong and has been accessed within the last hour or so, then this could be the problem file. Mine was "gwquvw.dll"

so look for something that is not obviously a system file and move it into the recycle bin, if nothing changes look for other similar files and do the

same. If this still doesn't work restore the files from the recycle bin in case they are needed. Other than that I have no other info I can give you at

this time. Good luck, enjoy a beer for me too. lol. Good luck Deji Sunday wink
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by jaybee3(m): 9:27pm On Oct 27, 2009
@deji
hook ur boi up with a windows activation code
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:29pm On Oct 27, 2009
DLL which is a dynamick link library can cause this problem I outline In previous reply. Dll files are thoudands if not millions registering each can be a pain in the ass. This are link to the registry. so try what i said earlier. Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:35pm On Oct 27, 2009
jay bee (m)
London

« #492 on: Today at 09:27:36 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@deji
hook your boi up with a windows activation code

Product key are authenticated, in other word secured. Apart from that each software has is own code assigned.

Is not something I can provide Bro. however you can downalod a trial version from microsoft Website just depend on what you"re looking for e.g.

Microsoft office, XP, Vista etc Good luck!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by jaybee3(m): 9:37pm On Oct 27, 2009
i know d drill bro. just tot u could do abrakadabra for moi.
no yawan. big up still
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:44pm On Oct 27, 2009
cool
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Akinsbobo2(m): 9:01am On Oct 28, 2009
Thank you for your response on my acer aspire 5000 dvd/cd-r.yes,it plays other discs.what i observe is that,when it plays pirated data discs but it doesnt play the original ones (like ones that came with the laptop).as for sound,yes,it gives scratchy sound with any disc it won't read.i do see it in my computer as drive D.i tried using a disc cleaner but,it won't even read it.i quite appreciate your concern.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by chiebuka(m): 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2009
pls, my board driver have been installing audio but of recently it refuse to install after format. what could be the problem?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:38pm On Oct 28, 2009
Akinsbobo2

« #497 on: Today at 09:01:07 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your response on my acer aspire 5000 dvd/cd-r.yes,it plays other discs.what i observe is that,when it plays pirated data discs but it doesnt play the original ones (like ones that came with the laptop).as for sound,yes,it gives scratchy sound with any disc it won't read.i do see it in my computer as drive D.i tried using a disc cleaner but,it won't even read it.i quite appreciate your concern.

OK, check inside the box that came with the laptop you should have Norton disk , Microsoft office & Works disk or any software disk.

Here's what you need to do pop the disk in and see if it read it. if not try software disk such as Norton or any software cd

Turn the laptop off please back on again make sure the disk is inside and keep pressing F2 to access the Biose and set your

Boot piority to boot off the disk if you dont know how to get to Bios on your model try using google to help you after that then

exit the bios boot into windows restart and then try booting off the disk might ask you to press any key to boot from disk or F12

Let us hear the result. alternatively can your drive read movie disk could be codecs issue try using VLC which can be obtained from

google or use Arcade which is a player software built into your laptop try that. Good luck, Deji Sunday
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by egin2(m): 9:26pm On Oct 28, 2009
pls i av a problem with my pc after reformatting it ,it was displaying "password expired pls reenter password"; please what should i do
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:49pm On Oct 28, 2009
egin2 (m)
akure, nigeria

« #501 on: Today at 09:26:19 PM »

pls i av a problem with my pc after reformatting it ,it was displaying "password expired pls reenter password"; please what should i do

What is the make and model of your PC XP & Vista. Did you reformat by inderting a disk or used hidden recovery HD partition F8 or F11

When and where did you get this message ? Have you ever set a Bios or a windows password ? Good luck!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tosadex2(m): 6:35pm On Oct 29, 2009
i formated my laptop and yet to get the vga driver, can anyone help even if it is to download online, because i cont load games and encyclopedia to my computer and some other applications, plz help my mail address is tosadex2001@yahoo.com
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Akinsbobo2(m): 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2009
Acer aspire 5000 dvd/cd-r.the drive did not play the microsoft works cd.i tried the original norton disc as suggested by you,but,the laptop booted straight to windows.i've been trying to download the VLC but,my connection is bad as for acer arcade,it says there's no disc in the drive.pls,what is the way out
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:54pm On Oct 29, 2009
Akinsbobo2

« #504 on: Today at 07:09:42 PM » 

Acer aspire 5000 dvd/cd-r.the drive did not play the microsoft works cd.i tried the original norton disc as suggested by you,but,the laptop booted straight to windows.i've been trying to download the VLC but,my connection is bad as for acer arcade,it says there's no disc in the drive.pls,what is the way out

That's ok check inside your box do you have a system recovery disk. You need to tell us if you"ve tried what we adviced so as to

save time and streess. like the diagnostics I ask you to do to reinstall your IDE CD Controller I dont think you did because that should solve the

problem. Good luck

check my previous post
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by cystein(m): 9:56pm On Oct 29, 2009
Lovely effort sky, like the way u think
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:59pm On Oct 29, 2009
@Akinsbobo2

I manage to dig out my post to save you finding it

I do appreciate all infor provided just make things more easier for the tecs. right ! Does it play any other disk ?

When does the problem start ? Do you hear scratchy noise if another disk is inserted ? Does the disk have any dirt or particles on the surface ?

Open My computer and check to make sure your CD drive is listed which is usually D drive

could well be a problem with your Secondary IDE contoller Ok, I take it you know how to get to device manager if not use google. when there look

for IDE/ATAPI CONTROLLER Click on the +Right click on each items and click uninstall click ok please please ! dont tick the box to delete as this

would delete the softwareafter that close devmgr then Restart your system for changes to take effect. you might be ask to restart thrice if so just

allow it. Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:05pm On Oct 29, 2009
tosadex2 (m)
lagos nigeria

« #503 on: Today at 06:35:56 PM » 

i formated my laptop and yet to get the vga driver, can anyone help even if it is to download online, because i cont load games and encyclopedia to my computer and some other applications,  plz help my mail address is tosadex2001@yahoo.com

Your best bet would be to gain access to another computer with internet access then have a blank disk such as CD-R or +R ready

then tell us make and model of your computer. also if you can get to device manager and look for display adaptor or video adaptor

Tell us make of your graphics card e.g. Nvidia & Geforce etc. if you dont know how to get to device manager use to google to

This reason why I ask you to do all this is so that you can be sure you"re installing the correct VGA driver.

Alternatively go your C drive which can be found by clicking start then my computer or Computer look for drivers if there then look for your VGA

drivers as some laptop have this option even though you formatted. on some laptops such as compaqs Hp give you the option if installing

drivers without need of downloading from the manu website. Good luck hoever in must cases the first option will be the bets one
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:10pm On Oct 29, 2009

I think have reply to this. anyway, what is the make & model, XP, Vista of your computer ? by knowing this we can try accessing the Bios. if we get in without

prompt for password then I bet you is windows password you were asked for. if we cant get to Bios then mate is Bios problem

Meaning it need taken to a technician to remove Cmos Battery to Reset the configuration or replace the motherboard

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by babaoo: 2:00am On Oct 30, 2009
Someone should pls help me with my lappy problem.I tried to download a vpn on my laptop after which i install.Ever since then my laptop has refuse to connect to internet with my moderm.My multilink moderm keep saying -error702:A connection to network computer could not be established.You might need to change the network setting for this connection. My mtn & zain phone moderm also refuse to connect.I have also unistall d vpn software i downloaded stil na samething.Pls make una help me out cause i cant afford to format d lappy.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by babaoo: 2:00am On Oct 30, 2009
Someone should pls help me with my lappy problem.I tried to download a vpn on my laptop after which i install.Ever since then my laptop has refuse to connect to internet with my moderm.My multilink moderm keep saying -error702:A connection to network computer could not be established.You might need to change the network setting for this connection. My mtn & zain phone moderm also refuse to connect.I have also unistall d vpn software i downloaded stil na samething.Pls make una help me out cause i cant afford to format d lappy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (1233) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.