Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,912 members, 7,876,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 06:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2999) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12006190 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2996) (2997) (2998) (2999) (3000) (3001) (3002) ... (16399) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:09am On Mar 13, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Oliseh did not know what he was saying and when he became coach, he noticed how much we lacked quality options too. Keshi was flexible and has his tactics that sometimes worked or failed. This was due to lack of options.

Gambo Muhammad might not meet what we expect but I keep saying, do you know if he met the coaches expectation with respect of meeting his tactics?

I remember the outcry for Osaze but in one of the games, Keshi highlighted that Osaze was not playing to his instructions and tactics. So it is not always about our personal preference but what the coach wants.

If Michael Babatunde had flopped, you would have written his name among poor players Keshi called but the young man excelled.

That was Keshi. He relied a lot on his tactical tweaks to cope with our lack of options.

Our most inform players were ignored. Yes, we did not have as many players but Aluko should never have been ignored. Victor Moses should have been given more chances.

Keshi's biggest strength was his ability to inspire players. He made average players believe that they could achieve everything. Tactically, he was not bad as well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:10am On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

Against Iran, Azeez played behind the striker and was not very good.

With Aluko, Igiebor, Mikel could have played a deeper role and we would have not lost much quality.

We played well against Spain but our lack of quality is why we could not score. Place Otigba instead of Egwuekwe and a better striker than Ideye and we could possibly have a more respectable result.

The 2:2 draw against Italy exposed huge flaws that we did not take on board. We were terrible in the second half.

As I said, your preference is not the coached tactics. A good example was against the South Africans. When we were down by two goals, Keshi made a tactical switch by taking off a defender and leaving Egwueke in defence. Keep in mind our full backs were supporting the attacks too.

Egwueke performed well from that moment. Did a good job in causing Rantie problems and we did not concede. You can ask for Otigba but will he meet up with the demands of Keshi over Egwueke?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:13am On Mar 13, 2018
Daejoyoung:

Keshi is quite tactical though. Remember he took a relatively unknown Togolese team to the world cup.
With Nigeria(in friendly games for the nations cup), he also drew with the star studded Catalans as well as the ltalians.
Yes my man for a coach to qualify Togo for WC and also had a stint with Mali and coached Nigeria to Afcon trophy and 2nd round WC,he deserves respect.

I think he still remain best all time Nigeria coach waiting for Rohr to beat that record.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14am On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

Our most inform players were ignored. Yes, we did not have as many players but Aluko should never have been ignored. Victor Moses should have been given more chances.

Keshi's biggest strength was his ability to inspire players. He made average players believe that they could achieve everything. Tactically, he was not bad as well.

Your informed players to you. I doubt Aluko would have given us what Babatunde brought to the team. The criticisms came from personal preferences. Not in line with Keshi's tactical plans. I also questioned Babatunde's inclusion over Aluko but Babatunde proved Keshi right.

So it is not about inform but who suited the coach plans.

Ike Uche was in form but was not ready to listen to the coach. So dropping him was the right option. Keshi was about getting players to listen and work with him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:16am On Mar 13, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Ruben was not a passenger. The challenge he had was getting in tune with the game and he was not a likely replacement. Keep in mind, Azeez was the one to come in. The violent nature of the French team made that substitution unlikely. Also later in the game, Ruben improved and even made two tackles.

He was not a flashy choice and as I said, you do not know if the names you wanted would have suited the tactical plans for that game. We also lost Michael Babatunde to injury before that game. Losing Onazi and then Azeez not coming in reduced the options further.

As I said, unfair criticism.

Reuben in that game was horrible.. positionally out of place.. I remember thinking 'We are in big trouble' after watching him play for a few minutes. It was obvious that he was very rusty.

The midfield totally collapsed. No one was breaking up play. We paid the price for poor selection. Keshi did not call Reuben to his team again.

With better team selection, we would never have been in that place.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:18am On Mar 13, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Your informed players to you. I doubt Aluko would have given us what Babatunde brought to the team. The criticisms came from personal preferences. Not in line with Keshi's tactical plans. I also questioned Babatunde's inclusion over Aluko but Babatunde proved Keshi right.

So it is not about inform but who suited the coach plans.

Ike Uche was in form but was not ready to listen to the coach. So dropping him was the right option. Keshi was about getting players to listen and work with him.

Babatunde was a bang average player but Keshi got him playing out of his skin. That was what Keshi brought.

If he could give that kind of inspiration to a player of obvious quality like Aluko, we could have done even better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:21am On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

Reuben in that game was horrible.. positionally out of place.. I remember thinking 'We are in big trouble' after watching him play for a few minutes. It was obvious that he was very rusty.

The midfield totally collapsed. No one was breaking up play. We paid the price for poor selection. Keshi did not call Reuben to his team again.

As I said, Ruben was not in tune with the game because he was an unlikely replacement. Due to the violent plays of the French side and the leniency of the referee to the French, we made an unlikely change.

Remember Mikel Agu coming in for Onazi and getting pulled off position, making wrong runs and mistiming his interceptions? That was what happened to Ruben when he came on. Later in the game, he picked up, just like Agu did and from there made a strong performance.

People criticized Ruben due to his performance when he got introduced. Just like Agu did. However, with time Agu played well. So did Ruben towards the end of the game and even pulling off two tackles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:25am On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

Babatunde was a bang average player but Keshi got him playing out of his skin. That was what Keshi brought.

If he could give that kind of inspiration to a player of obvious quality like Aluko, we could have done even better.

Based on your preference but Keshi inspired these players with his motivation and tactical plans. We have to give room for Keshi's tactical plans.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:25am On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

Results are not the most important thing now. New tactics /approach will be tried out. It will be good to see our defense under pressure from a home team. I do not think, we will be easy to beat though.

Haha, results are not the most important thing?

Putting the defence to test and trying different formations is still a test of whether you can get results under those conditions.

Though win or lose the only thing that will be affected is FIFA rankings but it is still very important we get results from those friendlies.

Every coach will want to go into a tournament with confidence from a good run of games

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:27am On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think substitution is to make a team better but sometimes it goes awry,fine Reuben did not meet up but wasn't to be blamed for the loss.

Remember Mikel was out of it at WC,so we have so many factors that contributed to our loss against France

I think we lost to Italy at US 94 due to poor substitution cos Adepoju and Oliha failed to cut Italy off and we paid dearly for it.

Sir sometimes it happen but I know beating France even with Onazi was a tall dream,nobody gave our boys any chance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:30am On Mar 13, 2018
Icon4s:

Putting the defence to test and trying different formations is still a test of whether you can get results under those conditions.

Though win or lose the only thing that will be affected is FIFA rankings but it is still very important we get results from those friendlies.

Every coach will want to go into a tournament with confidence from a good run of games
I think Poland and Serbia would determines some players chances of making it to WC especially the goalkeeper,so clear cut performance is needed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 10:46am On Mar 13, 2018
Icon4s:

I am not so optimistic of our chances of beating Poland especially as the game is in Warsaw, but we should be able to beat this Serbian team.
the issue now is not so much about winning like it is about tactics and cohesion leading up to the mundial
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:53am On Mar 13, 2018
"Lewandowski is one of the best goal scorers in the world and I hope he will not score three goals against us" - Gernot Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:00am On Mar 13, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

As I said, Ruben was not in tune with the game because he was an unlikely replacement. Due to the violent plays of the French side and the leniency of the referee to the French, we made an unlikely change.

Remember Mikel Agu coming in for Onazi and getting pulled off position, making wrong runs and mistiming his interceptions? That was what happened to Ruben when he came on. Later in the game, he picked up, just like Agu did and from there made a strong performance.

People criticized Ruben due to his performance when he got introduced. Just like Agu did. However, with time Agu played well. So did Ruben towards the end of the game and even pulling off two tackles.
Oga, Wether na Reuben or Robin... Both him and Agu are a pair of shitty players. Finito!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:09am On Mar 13, 2018
Icon4s:

I am not so optimistic of our chances of beating Poland especially as the game is in Warsaw, but we should be able to beat this Serbian team.
ill rather take the other way round.

Serbia will be tougher than Poland to me.

Besides I hope Tour is working on ensuring our defenders are experts at setting the offside trap? we have never been known for such part of the game and so it becomes an advantage to more tactical teams that analyse us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:14am On Mar 13, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
"Lewandowski is one of the best goal scorers in the world and I hope he will not score three goals against us" - Gernot Rohr
When we are not the Arsenal defenders.... Lewa would see chances but we would win Poland right in front of them to me. This game should be Rohr's way of telling the world that we can boss a European team from the middle.

Need a pact striker no doubt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:15am On Mar 13, 2018
Kog45:
Forgiveness--Azeez should be removed

Icon4s--Nwofor and Uzoenyi should be removed

Kog45-- Kunle Odunlami should be removed if Egwueke is not on the list and i think Odunlami replaced Echiejele and also had wonderful CHAN and made CHAN all star team as best CB

Thegoodjoe--Shola Ameobi,gave good reason why Shola merited his place,Keshi like big striker and his MOTM against Italy was a class.

Michael Uchebo?

Honestly who to replace these players.

All you mentioned shouldn't had gone to the world Cup except Ramon Azeez. Why? Because he did well in la Liga prior to the world Cup.

Is la Liga bad because of Ramon Azeez and now good because Etebor is playing there now?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:33am On Mar 13, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Oga, Wether na Reuben or Robin... Both him and Agu are a pair of shitty players. Finito!

In one of our qualifiers, Agu put in a nice shift with interceptions and tackles that merited praises. I will not be Quick to refer to him as sh1tty.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:24pm On Mar 13, 2018
Icon4s:

Sometimes losing now can help you in the tournament proper because you will understand your weaknesses.It also exposes the players that might not fit into your approach. You learn more from adversity than success.

Costa rica were battered left and right before last WC but during the tournament, they were tough to beat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:43pm On Mar 13, 2018
I’ll be fine for Poland, Serbia friendlies, confirms Ebuehi

Super Eagles and ADO Den HAAG right-back, Tyronne Ebuehi has said he would be ready and fit for the two pre-World Cup friendly games against Poland in Wroclaw on March 23 and Serbia in London four days later.

Ebuehi, who was taken out injured in his club’s last weekend’s game, told AOIFootball.com exclusively from his base in Holland, that the extent of the injury he sustained is not as serious as first thought.

“I’m fine, just a little pain and stiffness in my hamstrings and groins, but nothing serious,” he said.

When asked if he would be back and fit in time for the Eagles’ games, he sounded hopeful.

“I have to see in the next few days, but I think so. I will certainly be ready and will work towards it,” he concluded.

Ebuehi was one of the shining lights when the Super Eagles came back from 2-0 down to shock Argentina’s Albiceleste 4-2 in a warm-up game in Krasnodar last November.

http://aoifootball.com/2018/03/13/ill-be-fine-for-poland-serbia-friendlies-confirms-ebuehi/

cc:Kog45, Somehow

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:44pm On Mar 13, 2018
Ebuehi will be fine for the friendlies..

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:51pm On Mar 13, 2018
Kog45:
Ok cos i need to see that guy again

Modified... Sir why is Rohr taking just three goalkeepers into consideration cos some countries listed four keepers for friendlies despite not having crisis for instance Poland and Senegal.

Ebuehi has confirmed that the injury is minor

I think Rohr has zeroed his mind on looking for number 1 in this friendlies. For the main camp, he will invite one or two more players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:
I’ll be fine for Poland, Serbia friendlies, confirms Ebuehi

Super Eagles and ADO Den HAAG right-back, Tyronne Ebuehi has said he would be ready and fit for the two pre-World Cup friendly games against Poland in Wroclaw on March 23 and Serbia in London four days later.

Ebuehi, who was taken out injured in his club’s last weekend’s game, told AOIFootball.com exclusively from his base in Holland, that the extent of the injury he sustained is not as serious as first thought.

“I’m fine, just a little pain and stiffness in my hamstrings and groins, but nothing serious,” he said.

When asked if he would be back and fit in time for the Eagles’ games, he sounded hopeful.

“I have to see in the next few days, but I think so. I will certainly be ready and will work towards it,” he concluded.

Ebuehi was one of the shining lights when the Super Eagles came back from 2-0 down to shock Argentina’s Albiceleste 4-2 in a warm-up game in Krasnodar last November.

http://aoifootball.com/2018/03/13/ill-be-fine-for-poland-serbia-friendlies-confirms-ebuehi/

cc:Kog45, Somehow
Thanks for this info
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:20pm On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think Rohr has zeroed his mind on looking for number 1 in this friendlies. For the main camp, he will invite one or two more players.
Okay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:22pm On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

Sometimes losing now can help you in the tournament proper because you will understand your weaknesses.It also exposes the players that might not fit into your approach. You learn more from adversity than success.

Costa rica were battered left and right before last WC but during the tournament, they were tough to beat.
Yes you are right but in defeat we must see prospects,not poor displayed in defeat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2018
Mhen, I was lured into subscribing to Dstv in Naija. Oh boy, their service sucks. Big time!
Sometimes many of the channels you subscribed to would disappear, just like that. And if there's small rain, then forget about getting service for the next several hours.

O pari

elyte89:

Dstv suppose show dis one na...abi sometin dey worry dem,and if na bafana bafana vs Seychelles wan play,na SS channels go show am sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:38pm On Mar 13, 2018
Haha!! Yup, we call him Pa. The man is almost 90 years now, if not more.

Oh, your former school coach was an assistant to Pa Oni, huh? Oh boy, naija footie don suffa sha!!
Talk about two PE teachers taking Nigeria to the World Cup.

O pari

Kog45:
Good that you can't prove that of Keshi.

Opari master u no go kill person who is Pa Oni again or you mean Onigbinde.

Efe gave out $10k?well i have first class information on 2002 WC team cos my former school coach was assistant and i have two personal friends who made the team and they pay nothing.

On Efe i don't know and i cannot say anything on it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:38pm On Mar 13, 2018
It wasn't Brila but naijadootballers.

Not sure of how"bad" his Injury is.

Tbaba already answered that.
Kog45:
Saw it on TV too and this made me to ask you,any update on his injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2018
tbaba1234:

even if out of precaution maybe he should sit out the the poland match(ie if he does not play this weekend)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2018
Quite amateurish, Mujta, but you might be onto something there. Ndidi's best games for the Super Eagles so far were on the two occasions he was paired with John Ogu (Algeria and Argentina).

We've been searching for answers ourselves without making much progress. As a matter of fact, I was telling a friend sometime ago that I don't know whether Onazi intimidates Ndidi or something grin

O pari

Mujtahida:

I really can't put my finger to it too but I guess it has to do with balance as in since both of them are predominantly right footed they play within the same zone and constrict each with Ndidi being the one who is more constricted. A left footed midfielder expands the zone of play by expanding the game in the direction of the left side of the pitch. And this brings balance and space which allows Ndidi's game to flow. I wont be surprised to see him blend with Joel cos Joel like Ogu is left footed. This is just my amateurish analysis sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2018
OK. So can you tell me what he contributed in Brazil

O pari

edi287:

Ramon Azeez was one of our most inform players going to the world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2018
Please don't tell me that you rate Azeez at the same levels with either Ndidi or Etebor! Please say it isn't so!

O pari

forgiveness:

Remove Ramon Azeez from the list. Except you believe Etebor and Ndidi are useless and don't deserve to be called up for this coming WC.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2996) (2997) (2998) (2999) (3000) (3001) (3002) ... (16399) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: LordTheus(m), comodo, Odunayaw(m), EEGA and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.