Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,784 members, 7,962,583 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 01:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12509213 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (16727) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:14pm On Apr 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Manchester City Product Reece Wabara Named In League One Team of the Year
[/size]

Ex-Manchester City starlet Reece Wabara has been recognized for his outstanding performance at the heart of Wigan Athletic’s defense with the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) naming him in the League One Team of the Year on Sunday.

In a 4-4-2 formation, Wabara got the nod at right-back, though he is capable of playing the role of a central defender.

Teammates Will Grigg, Craig Morgan and Yanic Wildschut were also recognized at the ceremony with the trio included in the ceremonial Team of the Year.

The 24-year-old Wabara joined Wigan in the January transfer window after stops at Barnsley, Doncaster Rovers, Blackpool, Oldham Athletic and Ipswich Town.

He started all the four matches that the England U20s were involved in during the 2011 Fifa Under 20 World Cup in Colombia, including the 1-0 loss to Nigeria in the second round.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18791
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:17pm On Apr 25, 2016
[size=14pt]
NFF Commiserates With Watford Star Ighalo Over Death Of Father
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation has commiserated with Watford striker Odion Ighalo following the death of his father in the early hours of Monday, April 25.

Paul Ighalo had complained of being weak before the cold hands of death snatched him away from his family.

“Our thoughts at this time are with the family of @NGSuperEagles striker @ighalojude whose Father Paul just passed on. May his soul RIP, ” the Nigerian Federation tweeted on Monday.

The 26-year-old Ighalo represented Nigeria at U20 and U23 level before making his debut for the Super Eagles.

He was in action on Sunday afternoon as the Hornets failed to qualify for the final of the FA Cup, losing 2-1 to Crystal Palace at Wembley.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18794

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:21pm On Apr 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
‘We are prepared to face Real Madrid'– Iheanacho
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/goal_uk/23/33/kelechi-iheanacho-aston-villa-man-city-fa-cup_xc2mc64j3yx71d6g6xhmcesie.jpg?t=-1809742678&w=620&h=430[/img]
Iheanacho set for Madrid

By Shina Oludare

The Citizens face Zinedine Zidane’s side in the Champions League semis on Tuesday and the forward feels his side can contain the Spaniards

Kelechi Iheanacho believes Manchester City are ready for Tuesday’s Uefa Champions League game first leg semi-final clash against Real Madrid.

Manuel Pellegrini’s men will be hoping to begin reach the final of the competition, but first must scale Zinedine Zidane side’s hurdle at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium.

And having tamed Stoke City 4-0 in the English topflight on Saturday, the Nigerian believes the victory over the Potters has primed the side for the Spaniards.

"This game [against Stoke] was great preparation for us before we play Real Madrid. On Tuesday, we need to focus and work hard because they're a good side. We are prepared to face them,” Iheanacho told club website.

"The Champions League is a big tournament so we need to focus and get the mood ready and get everything right to play. We must work hard and concentrate on every ball.

"We really need to win here because at their home it's not going to be an easy game. It's a great achievement for the club to be in the last four of the tournament but it would be a dream to get to the final so we're really hoping for that.”

Iheanacho striker has linked up excellently with Sergio Aguero in his first season as part of the senior squad and he expects that to continue when given the chance to play throughout the remainder of the season.

"I'm very pleased to play with Sergio. It's a big thing so I'm really happy and looking forward to playing with him in the future,” he continued.

"I really need to work hard every game and every training. Every time I'm in I really need to show character and show that I deserve to be in the team so I really work hard until the end."
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2016/04/25/22763782/we-are-prepared-to-face-real-madrid-iheanacho?ICID=HP_HN_2
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:29pm On Apr 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
ONAZI ENJOYING NEW LEASE OF LIFE AT LAZIO
[/size]

Nigeria international Eddy Ogenyi Onazi has found favour in newly appointed coach of Lazio, Simone Inzaghi as opposed to his predecessor Stefano Pioli.

At a point this season, the 23 year old went close to two months without playing a game for Lazio but of all that appears to have changed under new manager Simone Inzaghi.

Pioli was sacked two weeks ago and since the coming of Inzaghi, Onazi who rarely gets to play when Pioli was in charge has now featured in the club’s last four games under new manager Inzaghi.

Onazi used the opportunity given to him to score his first league goal of the season, netting in Lazio’s 2-0 win over Empoli.

Since his return to the match day set up for the last four games, Lazio have won twice and also lose same amount of game, the latest been the 2-1 loss they suffered against Sampdoria on Sunday night.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/25/onazi-enjoying-new-lease-of-life-at-lazio/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EZE CLOSE IN ON NEW GOAL RECORD IN DUBAI
[/size]

Former Zamfara United and Africa Sports of Ivory Coast forward Friday Eze is turning heads in the UAE top flight league where he presently has 14 goals for relegation battlers Al-Fujairah.

Eze is one goal away from equaling his best ever goal record of 15 goals in a season which he achieved last season with modest Serbian side Mladost Lucani where he was voted the best player in the league and picked up the top scorer award in the process.

However the 23 year old failed in his bid to beat Asamoah Gyan’s record of 31 goals which was his initial target a the start of the season in the Arabian Gulf League.

His goal scoring prowess has reportedly caught the attention of other teams in the UAE and in Europe but in a chat with Owngoalnigeria.com, he insist he is firmly focused on helping Al Fujairah beat the drop to the second division in the UAE.

“We have to play the game of our life in our next game against Al-Ain as a victory will help us escape relegation, that’s my target for now and not my next destination as am very happy here” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/25/eze-close-in-on-new-goal-record-in-dubai/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:41pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
MIKEL OBI FLOURISHING IN CENTRAL DEFENCE FOR CHELSEA
[/size]

John Obi Mikel is showing his versatility at Chelsea with fine performances in an unfamiliar role in the middle of the defence as oppose to his preferred role in the midfield.

Interim manager of Chelsea, Guus Hiddink first played the Nigerian in central defence against Swansea City on the 9th of April following a horror first half show from Matt Miazga who was playing his second game for the Blues.

Miazga was easily bullied by the Swansea front men forcing manager Guus Hiddink to withdraw the teenager during the half half break for Oscar who took over from Mikel’s role in midfield while the Nigerian moved to centre back.

Mikel did enough to convince Guus Hiddink that he can play in the role he first played in 2013 for Chelsea during their pre season tour with a strong second half performance which earned him another start in central defence against AFC Bournemouth last weekend.

29 year old Mikel did enough to earn himself a spot in Garth Crook’s team of the week column for the weekend of the 24th of April.

Crook described his performance as near flawless and a proof of why he has survived Chelsea’s constant managerial change in his 10 years stay at Stamford Bridge.

“I had to see this performance by John Mikel Obi at centre-back to believe it. Because of injuries to three prominent defenders, Mikel partnered Branislav Ivanovic at the heart of Chelsea’s defence at Bournemouth and looked as if he had played there all his life.

Apart from one moment when he went to ground and was lucky not to give away a penalty, the normally dependable defensive midfielder was outstanding.

Here is a player who has played under every Chelsea manager during the last 10 years – which speaks volumes. The relationship between Guus Hiddink and Mikel is evident, as the player has been ever-present since the Dutch manager returned to Stamford Bridge. The Nigeria captain must be an exceptional man to have survived the turbulence associated with the club,- not to mention the turnover of playing staff”.

In the game against Bournemouth he had a pass completion rate of 90% and appeared so much at home in his new role in central defence.

Daniel Martins.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/26/mikel-obi-flourishing-in-central-defence-for-chelsea/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
[size=14pt]
Leke James thrilled to grab second career hat-trick
[/size]

Leke James

Nigeria striker Leke James has said he is excited to score his second hat-trick ever for Chinese club Beijing BG in a 4-2 win over Meizhou Hakka.

The former Aalesund of Norway striker told AfricanFootball.com that he is happy with the goals and his general display in the game.

"It feels good to score three goals in the game and it gives me more confidence to do more in subsequent games,” he said.

"This is the second time I will score a hat-trick, the first was while I was at Aalesund."

He scored the first, third and fourth goals of the game.

He has now scored four goals in the league.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/626288/Leke-James-thrilled-to-grab-second-career-hat-trick

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:45pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Alli Features As Spurs Stumble;Anichebe Benched; Success Fails
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Monday.

Tottenham Hotspur have all but surrendered the Premier League title race after stumbling at White Hart Lane against West Brom. England star Dele Alli started and was in action for 90 minutes before he was replaced. Josh Onomah didn’t make the squad.

Nigeria international Victor Anichebe was one of the six substitutes of West Brom that wasn’t given a run out. It finished 1-1

Over to the Italian Serie A, there was no action for Sadiq Umar in Roma’s 1-0 win over Napoli at the Stadio Olimpico, Rome.

Jerry Mbakogu started and played 84 minutes of Carpi’s 1-0 win against Napoli at Stadio Alberto Braglia.

In the Spanish La Liga, recuperating Isaac Success missed Granada’s 2-1 loss to Celta de Vigo. It would have been his 31st appearance in the top-flight this term.

Elsewhere in Norway, William Troost-Ekong played the entirety of FK Haugesund’s 3-1 win against Stabaek, for whom Ohi Omoijuanfo came off the bench in the 51st minute. FKH duo Ibrahim Shuaibu and Anthony Izuchukwu watched proceedings from the bench.

Former Super Eagles midfielder Dickson Etuhu was not in the AIK squad that won 2-1 at home to Elfsborg in the Swedish Allsvenskan.

Nnaemeka Anyamele was on the bench for HIFK’s goalless draw with PS Kemi in the Finnish top division.

Finally in the Turkish Super Lig, John Chibuike and Gbenga Arokoyo both made the starting XI as Gaziantepspor suffered a 3-1 loss to Genclerbirligi. The midfielder subbed out in the 72nd minute.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18799
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 10:08am On Apr 28, 2016
[size=14pt]
Nigeria defender Leon Balogun faces ban
[/size]

Balogun (left)

Nigeria defender Leon Balogun could be slapped a ban for violent conduct after TV replays showed he connected his knee into the stomach of an opponent.

The referee did not take any action against Mainz defender Balogun for the clash with Carlos Zambrano during Sunday’s German Bundesliga clash against Eintracht Frankfurt.

Balogun is expected to defend himself and if he failed to convince the league, he will be suspended.

The defender has been booked 35 times in the Bundesliga since the 2008/09 season.

He was sent off against Rot-Weib Oberhausen on October 6, 2012.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626447/Nigeria-defender-Leon-Balogun-faces-ban
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 10:08am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Chelsea loanee Omeruo: I'm fit for Eagles friendlies
[/size]

Eagles defender Kenneth Omeruo

by Samm Audu

Chelsea loanee Kenneth Omeruo has dismissed rumours he will not be fit for next month’s Super Eagles friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.

It was reported by a section of the local press that Omeruo, who is on loan to Turkish club Kasimpasa, is currently nursing a groin injury.

He missed last month's AFCON qualifiers against Egypt on account of injury, but he has since recovered fully.

"I am happy that I have been called up for the friendly games against Mali and Luxembourg. I am looking forward to putting on the green and white of Nigeria again and giving my 100% to the team,” he told Super Eagles media officer Toyin Ibitoye.

“I am very fit and hope to stay this way for my club and country.

"There is no truth in the reports that I am currently sidelined by groin injury.”

Omeruo was only advised by his club doctor to rest in the summer and not feature at the Rio Olympics.

"I regret my inability to be part of the Olympic team but as a professional player one has to be guided by the recommendations of experts,” he said.

"My doctors advised that it is best I have a good rest during the off season and they felt participating at the Olympics won't guarantee that so I had to pull out.

"In my absence I believe in the abilities of the national U23 team coaches and the players to do the nation proud in Rio."
http://africanfootball.com/news/626451/Chelsea-loanee-Omeruo-I-m-fit-for-Eagles-friendlies
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 10:09am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF insult Yobo over testimonial blasts Emenike
[/size]

Emmanuel Emenike has described as “an insult” the decision of the Nigeria Football Federation to fix another match on the same day Joseph Yobo’s testimonial match will be played even after they had approved the match to retire the former Super Eagles skipper.

Nigeria will play a friendly against Mali in France on May 27, the same day the Yobo testimonial will be staged in Port Harcourt.

West Ham striker Emenike exclusively told AfricanFootball.com the decision of the NFF was disrespectful to the former Eagles skipper and Everton defender, who had served the country with total dedication and a century of caps to prove.

"If we are still on the same page of rebranding football, we should have the common sense of celebrating our heroes so that the younger ones in the team will live by example,” an angry Emenike told AfricanFootball.com

"Yobo deserves the honour and everybody has to turn up to celebrate him, but it’s unfortunate that it’s the NFF who are now looking like the obstacle to this testimonial. The Super Eagles players are the ones who want to play the Yobo match, tell me how will that be possible if they are in for another national assignment on that same day.

“We should change our mentality of ‘use and dump’ approach in order to reach greater heights of football in the world.

“Yobo was one of the best in Africa during his playing days, he's a known name all over the world and he should be celebrated in a bigger way. The younger ones are watching, let's change things."

He continued: "I understand that the Joseph Yobo match will be played this same day Super Eagles have a match against Mali or whoever, is that the way it’s being done in other countries?

"I think some people are just unserious about our football. This is a top match and Yobo has written a letter to the NFF before now, so why are they playing this international match also?

“We should also understand that we don't respect our past heroes, we don't appreciate the past, we only want people to come and die and forget about their life.

"Without apology, I have decided not to say anything against the federation irrespective of their antics, but this is unacceptable, I hate injustice and we should learn to celebrate our past heroes in order to encourage the younger players in the team.”

"I think it will be better for them to do something about it and cover their mess because of other foreign players coming for the match," he further told AfricanFootball.com

"Even when I was in the team, I got angry at times when you see the way things were going wrong and you begin to question yourself on a lot of things and this is just one of those things."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/626491/NFF-insult-Yobo-over-testimonial-blasts-Emenike
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:24am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Raheem Lawal : I Have Been Waiting For This Call Up
[/size]

Osmanlıspor central midfielder Raheem Lawal is happy to be back in the Super Eagles fold after close to two years in the international wilderness.

The former Dream Team star has admitted that he was expecting to be invited to the national team on the back of his performances in Turkey and has promised to give a hundred percent in both friendlies.

“I have been waiting for this call up since because I have been doing perfectly well this season and I have so many offers, ” Raheem Lawal said to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“It is now a thing of the past but I last played for the Super Eagles in 2014 against South Africa. I will try my best in the two games.”

The 25-year-old Lawal has recorded 23 appearances in the Turkish Super Lig this term, scoring one goal and notching three helpers.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18820
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:24am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Adegbenro, Chilaka & Nwakali Hit Target; Enyeama Posts
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in Europe and Africa on Wednesday.

German champions suffered a 1-0 loss to Atletico Madrid in the semifinal of the Champions League, with Austria star David Alaba playing the entirety of the game at Estadio Vicente Calderon.

In England, Chibuzor Chilaka netted a pair of goals as Bradford PA narrowly lost 3-2 to Nuneaton Town in the National League North. The 29-year-old frontman scored in the 64th and 87th minute to take his tally in the division to 16 goals.

Vincent Enyeama posted another shutout as Lille were held to a goalless draw at home to Angers in the French Ligue 1. The former Nigeria skipper played the full 90 minutes at Stade Pierre-Mauroy.

Elsewhere, Chuks Akabueze worked a ninety-minute shift for Odd Grenland in their 6-0 hammering of FK Toensberg in the Norwegian Cup.

Chidiebere Nwakali started and played 82 minutes as IK Start defeated Fram Larvik 3-0. In addition to his opening goal, he was credited with a helper. Austin Ikenna replaced him.

Innocent Bonke and Fred Friday were both rested for Lillestrom’s 2-0 win at Lillehammer FK.

Still in the Norwegian Cup, Samuel Adegbenro closed scoring in Viking’s 3-0 rout of Vard Haugesund.

The young striker played the full game, Suleiman Abdullahi was introduced on the hour mark, Usmani Sale came on in the 85th minute while Aniekpeno Udoh watched from the bench.

In the Swedish Allsvenskan, Hakeem Araba made a cameo appearance in the 90th minute as Falkenbergs FF shared the spoils with Joenkoepings Soedra . Final score was 1-1 at Stadsparksvallen.

Alhaji Gero was an unused substitute as Oestersunds FK lost 4-2 to Oerebro. Teammate Michael Omoh stepped out onto the Jaemtkraft Arena pitch after 65 minutes.

In the South African top-flight, Daniel Akpeyi and James Okwuosa started and played 90 minutes of Chippa United’s 4-1 victory against Platinum Stars. Ugonna Uzochukwu wasn’t involved for the Chilli Boys.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18825
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:25am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Gaziantepspor Stopper Gbenga Arokoyo Honoured To Get Nigeria Call Up
[/size]

Gaziantepspor defender Gbenga Arokoyo has spoken of his joy at his recall to the Super Eagles after four years in the international wilderness.

The Kwara Football Academy product was in the plans of former coach Stephen Keshi until he traveled to Scandinavia to ink a deal with Mjällby AIF in 2012 and had been ignored for selection by subsequent coaches though his performance for his European teams did not dip.

“Yes, of course I was expecting this call up, I believe it will come one day and thank God it finally came, ” an elated Arokoyo told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“I was contacted through my club and all I did was to go on my knees and give God all the praise.

“The Mali and Luxembourg friendlies are important games for the team and it will be an honour to play in those games.”

The 23-year-old Arokoyo last defended the colours of the Super Eagles in an international friendly against Angola in January 2012.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18826
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:25am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Porto New Kid On The Block Awaziem Delighted With Maiden Super Eagles Call Up
[/size]

Porto teen sensation Chidozie Awaziem has expressed his happiness over his invitation to the Super Eagles for the first time in his career and has vowed to work his socks off in both games against Mali and Luxembourg.

The national team coaches have taken notice of the 19-year-old’s impressive performances at the heart of defense for the Primeira Liga powerhouses, with nine appearances under his belt for the first team of The Dragons since the start of this year.

“I feel happy, I feel glad, it is not easy to get invited to the national teams. It will be a great experience for me, I am happy to go and represent my country,”said Awaziem to allnigeriasoccer.com.

The Porto number 63 had been targeting a spot in Nigeria’s Olympic National Team and was pleasantly surprised to learn that he was considered for the senior national team instead.

“Of course, I was not expecting the invitation, it came as a surprise. I always try to do my best at Porto, I know one day I will be invited, I didn’t know it was going to come too soon.

“I will do my best to defend the green white green jersey, it is a great country. I promise Nigerians I will do my best to make the team do well.”

A product of El Kanemi Junior, Jos, the central defender trained with the Nigeria U17s prior to the 2015 Fifa Under 17 World Cup.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18819
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:32am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria Coach Calls Up Man City Starlet Iheanacho, Arsenal Midfielder Iwobi, Chelsea
[/size]

The interim coach of the Super Eagles, Salisu Yusuf, has called up 26 players for the upcoming friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in Europe.

The national team will face Mali in France on May 27 then head to Luxembourg for Luxembourg - Nigeria which takes place five days later.

Of the 26 players invited, only one - Ikechukwu Ezenwa of Sunshine Stars- is based in the domestic championship but all the players have previous experience of representing the national team except Porto new kid on the block Chidozie Awaziem and Turkish-based stopper Musa Mohammed.

Gaziantepspor defender Gbenga Arokoyo, Brown Ideye (Olympiakos), Kingsley Madu(AS Trencin), Raheem Lawal (Osmanlispor FK) and William Troost Ekong (Haugesund) have all earned recalls following a string of fine performances for their European teams.

An analysis of the roster revealed that three goalkeepers, nine defenders, six midfielders and eight strikers have been included in the roster.

Nigeria Squad

Goalkeepers (3): Carl Ikeme (Wolverhampton Wanderers, England); Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United, South Africa); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Sunshine Stars)

Defenders (9): Abdullahi Shehu (Uniao da Madeira, Portugal); Musa Muhammed (Istanbul Basaksehir, Turkey); Elderson Echiejile (AS Monaco, France); Kingsley Madu (AS Trencin, Slovakia); Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa SK, Turkey); Leon Balogun (Mainz 05, Germany); Gbenga Arokoyo (Gaziantepspor, Turkey); William Troost Ekong (Haugesund FC, Norway); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto, Portugal)

Midfielders (6): Ogenyi Onazi (SS Lazio, Italy); John Mikel Obi (Chelsea FC, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City, England); Wilfred Ndidi KRC Genk, Belgium); Raheem Lawal (Osmanlispor FK, Turkey); Etebo Oghenekaro (SC Farense, Portugal)

Forwards(cool: Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Victor Moses (West Ham United, England); Odion Ighalo (Watford FC, England); Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England); Aminu Umar (Osmanlispor FK, Turkey); Aaron Samuel (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Brown Ideye (Olympiakos FC, Greece)

Igho Kingsley
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18818
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:33am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Salisu Yusuf slammed for foreign based laden 26-man list, only 1 NPFL player invited
[/size]

The 26-man list for the prosecution of the international friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg released on Wednesday by the interim coach of the Sunday Eagles, Salisu Yusuf has been slammed for failing to appreciate the quality of the Nigeria Professional Football League.

Speaking with footballlive.ng, former Nigeria International, Ajibade Babalade stated that the lack of faith in the NPFL despite the fine performance of a good number of players was a shame on the coach’s path.

The former Shooting Stars defender argued that the coach would have found exemplary home based players who have been consistent under previous coaches ; with whom Salisu worked.

Sunshine Stars’ goalkeeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa was the only NPFL based player handed an invitation by the interim head coach of the senior men’s national team.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/salisu-yusuf-slammed-for-foreign-based-laden-26-man-list-only-1-npfl-player-invited/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:37am On Apr 28, 2016
[size=14pt]
Sunday Mba remains defiant on club’s league progress
[/size]

Out-of-favor Super Eagles midfielder and Yeni Malatyaspor player, Sunday Mba has stated that he strongly believes his club can finish well this season in the Turkish top flight.

Malatyaspor , who also pay the bills of Nigeria international, Azubuike Okechukwu, occupy 11th position on the log.

In a chat with footballlive.ng, Mba stated that the team is keeping its focus and not allowing the all they need to do is take one match at a time and they will finish well this season. The 27-year-old are has scored 6 goals in 26 appearances for his team.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/sunday-mba-remains-defiant-on-clubs-league-progress/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:37am On Apr 28, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Daniel Akpeyi chasing glory with club and country
[/size]

Super Eagles goalie, Daniel Akpeyi was in between the sticks for his PSL club, Chippa United as the Chilli Boys routed visitors, Platinum Stars 4-1 in a league match on Wednesday at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium and the 30-year-old is not celebrating as they turn their attention to this weekend’s away game against Bidvest Wits.

Speaking with footballlive.ng, Akpeyi declared the desire to keep putting great performances for the club and in the same vein improving his chances with the Senior National Men’s team; Super Eagles.

The former Warri Wolves man was named in the 26-man list by interim Super Eagles coach, Salisu Yusuf, for the international friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/daniel-akpeyi-chasing-glory-with-club-and-country/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:01am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Netherlands
Troost-Ekong celebrates Eagles recall
[/size]

Troost-Ekong

Haugesund of Norway captain William Troost-Ekong has expressed his joy and delight on his recall to the Nigeria team for friendly matches against Mali and Luxembourg next month.

"Very happy to be called up again for Nigeria. Hard work pays off
The 22-year-old defender, who is on loan at the Norwegian club from Belgian champions Gent, has four caps for Nigeria.

He represented the Netherlands at youth level before he decided to change his international allegiance.

He has played for Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur, FC Groningen and FC Dodretcht.
africanfootball.com/news/626590/Troost-Ekong-celebrates-Eagles-recall

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:03am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Watford
Ighalo among Watford top earners
[/size]
Watford striker Odion Ighalo

Nigeria international striker Odion Ighalo is one of the top earners at his English Premier League club Watford.

The former Udinese forward gets £30,000 a week, according to daily sports of UK.

The highest paid player in Watford Mario Suarez gets £45,000, while team captain Deeney Troy pockets £35,000 a week.

Ighalo, who has netted 14 goals in the EPL this season, earns double what the team's goalkeeper Heurelho Gomez gets.

Nigeria-born Scotland international Ikechi Anya is on £22,000 a week.
africanfootball.com/news/626588/Ighalo-among-Watford-top-earners

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:08am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Russia
Ahmed Musa, Samuel shoot CSKA Moscow back on top
[/size]

Ahmed Musa scores in Russia again

Nigeria stars Ahmed Musa and Aaron Samuel scored for CSKA Moscow to beat hosts Ural 3-0 on Thursday in a Russian Premier League game.

CSKA Moscow are back on top of the table with 53 points in 26 games, two points ahead of second-placed Rostov, who have played 25 games.

Samuel opened the scoring for the army team in the 19th minute, while Ahmed Musa scored in the 59th minute to double CSKA lead.

Ahmed Musa then went on to assist Alan Dzagoev for the third goal in the 75th minute.

The former JUTH FC star has now scored 11 goals and Aaron has now netted two goals.
africanfootball.com/news/626596/Ahmed-Musa-Samuel-shoot-CSKA-Moscow-back-on-top

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mainz To Appeal Leon Balogun Three-Game Ban
[/size]

There is a little hope that Leon Balogun would play for his Bundesliga club Mainz 05 before the end of this season after he was slapped with a three-match ban by the German Football Association on Thursday for violent conduct.

Germany’s international broadcaster DW Sports is reporting that Mainz are appealing the three-game ban for the central defender but he will still miss Saturday’s game against Hamburg at the Coface Arena.

The Rhineland-Palatinate-based outfit were informed by the German Federation that they can appeal the decision within 24 hours and have taken up the option.

This season, Leon Balogun has collected four yellow cards in 21 appearances in the Bundesliga.

The 27-year-old was punished by the DFB for hitting his right knee in the stomach of Carlos Zambrano in last weekend’s clash against Eintracht Frankfurt.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18842
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 3:19pm On Apr 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: CHIKATARA MOVE TO WYDAD CASABLANCA CALLED OFF
[/size]

The already agreed transfer of Chisom Chikatara to Wydad Casablanca of Morocco from Abia Warriors is off, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

22 year old Chikatara was expected to join the Moroccan side in the summer when registration re-opens in the league after agreeing a three and a half year deal following his strong showing for Nigeria at the last CHAN championship.

He was unveiled by the Moroccan side on the 2nd March on a three and half year deal and was subsequently handed the club’s number 10 jersey but the failure of Wydad Casablanca to pay the agreed transfer fee lead to the collapse of the move.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered from a source close to the player that the move was called off last week by Abia Warriors following the expiration of the deadline given to Wydad Casablanca to make the first payment for his transfer.

“The move is officially off, Abia Warriors gave them a deadline for the first payment of the agreed transfer fee but they failed to meet it up despite several reminders and last week, Abia Warriors through their chairman informed them that the deal is off” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

The forward who already has three goals to his name in this season Nigeria Premier League won’t be short of suitors in the summer as he was heavily courted by Esperance of Tunisia and an unnamed team in Russia before agreeing the now collapse move to Wydad Casablanca of Morocco.

Ahmed Ishaya.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/29/exclusive-chikatara-move-to-wydad-casablanca-called-off/
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Wilfred Ndidi expresses relief at Super Eagles chance
[/size]

By Kolade Oni

The former junior international has said that he never doubted his ability despite his inability to make his debut for the senior team previously and will take his chance now

KRC Genk midfielder, Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi has expressed relief at another invitation to the Super Eagles with a promise to make a good impression with the coaches this term.

Ndidi had received previous call ups before now but is yet to play in an official match for the Nigeria senior team and that he would ensure to make the best use of the chance presented him during the two international friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg slated for France and Luxembourg City on May 27 and June 1 respectively.

“I am grateful to God for this chance. I was last invited by the Eagles’ coaches during one of the games in Port Harcourt last year under coach Sunday Oliseh but I was not given enough chance to prove myself. I will ensure I seize this opportunity with both hands. Nothing will stop my ambition to play for my country," Ndidi told Goal.

“Even though I was not used in the previous call up I believe so much in my ability that if I continue to play very well for my club, it will give me an access to be called up again.”

The 19-year-old defender has been a super regular for his Belgian side, making 30 appearances and scoring two goals, and they are currently playing in the season ending play off to determine the League champions. Genk are fourth on the log with 33 points and are facing Club Brugge away in the next round of matches on Friday evening.

He last found the back of the net on April 20 when he scored a brilliant goal - the curtain raiser in their 4-2 thumping of Club Brugge in the first leg played in Genk.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2016/04/29/22901762/wilfred-ndidi-expresses-relief-at-super-eagles-chance?ICID=HP_HN_1
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:01pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF insult Yobo over testimonial blasts Emenike
[/size]

Emenime

Emmanuel Emenike has described as “an insult” the decision of the Nigeria Football Federation to fix another match on the same day Joseph Yobo’s testimonial match will be played even after they had approved the match to retire the former Super Eagles skipper.

Nigeria will play a friendly against Mali in France on May 27, the same day the Yobo testimonial will be staged in Port Harcourt.

West Ham striker Emenike exclusively told AfricanFootball.com the decision of the NFF was disrespectful to the former Eagles skipper and Everton defender, who had served the country with total dedication and a century of caps to prove.

"If we are still on the same page of rebranding football, we should have the common sense of celebrating our heroes so that the younger ones in the team will live by example,” an angry Emenike told AfricanFootball.com

"Yobo deserves the honour and everybody has to turn up to celebrate him, but it’s unfortunate that it’s the NFF who are now looking like the obstacle to this testimonial. The Super Eagles players are the ones who want to play the Yobo match, tell me how will that be possible if they are in for another national assignment on that same day.

“We should change our mentality of ‘use and dump’ approach in order to reach greater heights of football in the world.

“Yobo was one of the best in Africa during his playing days, he's a known name all over the world and he should be celebrated in a bigger way. The younger ones are watching, let's change things."

He continued: "I understand that the Joseph Yobo match will be played this same day Super Eagles have a match against Mali or whoever, is that the way it’s being done in other countries?

"I think some people are just unserious about our football. This is a top match and Yobo has written a letter to the NFF before now, so why are they playing this international match also?

“We should also understand that we don't respect our past heroes, we don't appreciate the past, we only want people to come and die and forget about their life.

"Without apology, I have decided not to say anything against the federation irrespective of their antics, but this is unacceptable, I hate injustice and we should learn to celebrate our past heroes in order to encourage the younger players in the team.”

"I think it will be better for them to do something about it and cover their mess because of other foreign players coming for the match," he further told AfricanFootball.com

"Even when I was in the team, I got angry at times when you see the way things were going wrong and you begin to question yourself on a lot of things and this is just one of those things."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/626491/NFF-insult-Yobo-over-testimonial-blasts-Emenike
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:03pm On Apr 30, 2016
[size=14pt]
Gbolahan Salami scores again in Finland
[/size]

Gbolahan Salami

Nigeria international Gbolahan Salami continued to flourish with his Finnish club KuPS as he netted his third goal in the league on Thursday in a 3-2 loss at HIFK.

KuPS are 10th on the league with three points in five games.

His compatriot Azubuike Egwuekwe also featured for the entire duration of the game, while Abubakar Aliyu was an unused substitute.

Another Nigerian, Nnaemeka Anyamele, featured for HIFK.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626602/Gbolahan-Salami-scores-again-in-Finland

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:05pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Real Sociedad want Emenike to get them goals
[/size]

Emmanuel Emenike Celebrates

Spanish La Liga side Real Sociedad have joined a list of clubs who want Nigeria striker Emmanuel Emenike when the summer transfer window opens.

The Basque side are looking into the possibility of bringing him in as they worry about the future of some of their star players and want to improve their goal scoring, according to Espiritu Deportivo.

The AFCON 2013 top scorer is on loan at West Ham United from Fenerbahce with two goals in 13 games, but the London club have made it clear they do not plan to extend his stay beyond this season.

Sociedad are 11th with 42 points on the La Liga table and look safe to stay put this season, which has only three rounds of matches to go.

http://africanfootball.com/news/626630/Real-Sociedad-want-Emenike-to-get-them-goals
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:09pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria's Rabiu Ibrahim, Madu win Slovakia Cup
[/size]

Rabiu Ibrahim has won the Slovakia Cup for second straight year

Nigeria internationals Rabiu Ibrahim and Kingsley Madu along with two other Nigerians have won the Slovakia Cup after their club AS Trencin defeated Slovan Bratislava 3-1 in the final on Friday.

A brace from Gino van Kessel and one goal from Stefan Maierhofer saw the Slovakia champions come from a goal down to win their third Slovakian Cup title.

Rabiu Ibrahim and Madu featured for the entire game at the City Arena Trnava in Trencin’s second successive cup win, while Samuel Kalu was a 66th minute replacement for goal scorer Maierhofer.

Aliko Bala was an unused substitute, while Christopher Udeh was not listed for the match.

Trencin are currently top the Slovakian Fortuna Liga with 72 points, six points better than second-placed Slovan Bratislava, who they only just defeated in the cup final.
http://africanfootball.com//news/626682/Nigerias-Rabiu-Ibrahim-Madu-win-Slovakia-Cup
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: Nigeria battle FIFA over Bafana friendly
[/size]

Eagles striker Olanare Aaron Samuel (right) against South Africa

by Samm Audu

Nigeria still hope to convince world football governing body FIFA to approve a proposed friendly against Bafana Bafana of South Africa next month, top officials have specially informed AfricanFootball.com

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) wish to stage three friendlies during the FIFA-friendly window next month as all hands are now on deck to prepare the Super Eagles for the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, which begin in October.

The Bafana friendly is to be played in Lagos with home-based players.

A top official told AfricanFootball.com that FIFA are not disposed to Nigeria playing three matches during the friendly window as it will be “an unfair way” for Nigeria to improve their FIFA rankings.

However, the NFF said the match against South Africa will be played by only players drawn from the Nigeria Professional Football League.

“We still hope to convince FIFA to allow us play the match in Lagos,” another official disclosed.

Nigeria and South Africa last played in a 2015 AFCON qualifier in November 2014 in Uyo, which ended in a thrilling 2-2 draw.

http://africanfootball.com//news/626686/EXCLUSIVE-Nigeria-battle-FIFA-over-Bafana-friendly
[/b]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (16727) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m) and 175 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.